Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #751 of 7936 Old 02-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did Keith ever show back up again? The folks in Austin, TX have just gotten their PDRs. Sure would be nice if Charlotte gets something soon.

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 7936 Old 02-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Liked: 10
I have searched the forums and can't find anything definitive as to whether or not the DVI output on the Pioneer 3510 should be working for a Sanyo Z2 front projector, or in general really. The DVI output from my computer works like a charm (looks incredible compared to Component out from my DVD player), but I get the standard 3 language black and white message ( something like "make you you hook up DVI to comaptible TV") when outputting from the 3510.

This was the same message that the Samsung DLP users were getting before the supposed firmware fix. Does anyone have DVI out working from their 3510 to a Z2 or other front projector? Are others having consistent luck with DVI out from the 3510 in general? I'm also getting the same digital audio chopping when attempting to output via DVI.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or observations.

Greg (in south Charlotte)
post #753 of 7936 Old 02-11-2004, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Very nice guy. Said upper management was clueless & bureaucratic & had little hope for a fix.

Are you trying to get this nice guy fired?
post #754 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A fine example of why many in the know don't post here..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #755 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 07:27 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We try to make things as simple as we can with our pricing structure, but you're right. It isn't simple. Our business is far more complex than you might imagine. Your input has been communicated to members of our programming team concerning the layout of the programming guide.

However, there is a balance that we have to manage from an operational standpoint. Since our system doesn't allow us to pick and choose channels down to the individual channel, we have tiers to simplify the clusters of channels.

While tiers logically fit on top other, there is some flexibility.

Basic
Standard
Navigator+ (The digital cable interface and digital cable channels 200-242, except the HD channels)
Digital Tier (Channels 141-191)
HD Tier (HD Net, InHD, HD Net Movies)
Premium Channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, TMC, Starz, Encore, etc)
Pay-Per-View (PPV Events, iControl Movies on Demand)

To get HD Services you will need (at minimum) basic cable (channels 2-6, 8-19, and 21-22) and an HD Box. This will give you channels 201,220,225,230,235,and 240 as well as Music Choice, iControl, and the inDemand services. This does not give you access to our Interactive Programming Guide. Should you wish to subscribe to one of the premium channels (HBO/Showtime/etc), if we have a corresponding HD premium channel, you would get that HD version as well.

Basic Cable + HD Converter + Remote (Charlotte Rates) = $17.33 (before taxes and franchise fees)

Most of our customers with HD subscribe to the digital service, which would include all of the above, plus our standard cable service, permitting them to also see Discovery HD Theater (280) and to get Navigator, our Interactive Programming Guide.

Basic Cable + Standard + Navigator (our IPG) + HD Converter + Remote = $55.51 (Charlotte Rates before taxes and franchise fees)

With this configuration, we offer additional HD programming. The HD Tier (for an additional $6.50 per month) includes INHD, INHD2, HDNET and HDNET Movies (channels 290-293). The On-Demand channels do not currently deliver HD content.

The standard DVR cannot receive, record, and manage HD content.

We do charge approximately $39.95 for the installation of a high def box for existing customers. New customers often have this waved as part of an introductory offer.

HBO OnDemand does not require the High Def box. Good catch. This error is being corrected on the Time Warner Cable Charlotte Website. I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused.

My responsibilities have changed and pulled me into other areas. I probably will not be able to participate on this site at the level I would have liked. Email to marketing through the web page will get a more timely response. We will keep the TW Carolina.com website updated on all upcoming HD news.

Keith Crawford
Marketing Department
Time Warner Cable
Charlotte Division
post #756 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Keith,

Thanks for the indepth explanation of tiers and pricing, very good stuff. I really hate that your bosses have decided to ignore this site in the future. Apparently they do not understand marketing and sales as they should.

Hugh Campbell

Hugh Campbell
post #757 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
With this configuration, we offer additional HD programming. The HD Tier (for an additional $6.50 per month) includes INHD, INHD2, HDNET and HDNET Movies (channels 290-293). The On-Demand channels do not currently deliver HD content.

Keith, I have a question...

I am currently getting the digital bronze (or maybe silver...) package. I have a hd box and I get to choose three of the premium channels. I currently get HBO, SHO, and MAX. Why can I not switch out one of those three channels for the 4 premium HD channels (INHD, INHD2, HDNET and HDNET Movies). I would like to have HBO, MAX, and the 4 HD channels on my current plan. Why is this not an option? The prices are pretty comparable, right? I was told that the only way I could get th HD channels was to pay the additional $6.50/month.
post #758 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HughScot
At the present moment if you get their digital box you get all the HD channels free except the two INHDs and the two HDnets. These four channels cost $6.50. Naturally you have to buy HBO as always. But if you are getting HBO it doesn't cost more to get HBO in HD.

I just talked to TWC and they told me that I need to subscribe to the 'digital variety tier' for $59/month to get any HD progamming! That is an outragous cost just to get what you can obtain off air.
post #759 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by savagez3
I just talked to TWC and they told me that I need to subscribe to the 'digital variety tier' for $59/month to get any HD progamming! That is an outragous cost just to get what you can obtain off air.

You sound as if you are only getting HD programming for $59. You are receiving quite a number of additional channels included. The following channels are not available OTA: HDnet, HDnet movies, INHD, INHD2, Discovery-HD, HBO-HD, SHO-HD.

Hugh Campbell
post #760 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 02:37 PM

savagez3,
You may want to ask for one of their hdtv reps.hdtv starts much lower than that depending on what all you want.Give them a call and I'm sure you will get much better answers.

The Humanoid Typhoon!
post #761 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Hi guys,

I just found this thread dedicted to us TWC Charlotte subsribers and had a question that probably gets asked here several times a week.

As a soon to be new HDTV owner, I am torn between losing my SD standalone Tivo and gaining HD reception. Tivo has spoiled me so much that I never watch live TV. With the HD DirectTV Tivo coming out in a couple of months, I may have to switch to satelite when I get my HD TV. However, if I knew when TWC was going to provide their HD DVR, I may give that a try since I really don't wont to pay close to $1,000 for the HD DirectTV Tivo setup. Although I am worried that the cable DVR will be lacking in features compared to Tivo.

I emailed TWC yesterday and all they could say is that it will be out soon! So.. any rumors?

Thanks,
post #762 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

It is out in many parts of the country that use the Scientific Atlanta box; however, the Charlotte division uses the Pioneer box and as soon as corporate gets through approving it we'll get it. Hope in the next couple of months. I'd wait as HD via DirecTV is not as good, due to compression, as what you will see via TWC. I've had both at the same time and dumped the sat. Plus you get all the networks in HD with cable.

Hugh Campbell
post #763 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Do you have any links on the Pioneer box. I am very curious about its features. For example, I assume this DVR will record audio in dolby digital 5.1. My current Tivo doesent do this, but I understand that the DirectTV Tivos do. Also, what about season pass and its ability to figurue out what kind of programming you like and record shows automatically based on this preferrence.
post #764 of 7936 Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

I've got nothing and have not been able to find anything on the Pioneer box. The SA box is the 8000HD and there is plenty of info on it at the SA site. Whether or not it applies to the Pioneer model I don't know.

Hugh Campbell
post #765 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Are the boxes one in the same with different firmware?
My SA3100HD box boots up with a Pioneer logo.
post #766 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds resonable but if it's true then why the delay in having them approved by corp. headquarters. I just remembered that Diana of TWC in SC said that the software in use by Charlotte was different than what they used out of Columbia so I guess the insides are different as well. Hopefully, it will have the same outputs and abilities as the SA box which looks good.

Hugh Campbell
post #767 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 07:56 AM

From what I have seen on this board & various others is that TW Charlotte uses Pioneer software so regardless of what type of box you have you will always see the Pioneer setup on your TV whenever your box reinitializes. I also believe that Charlotte TW will be using the SA8000HD box. The reason for the delay is that this box has to be tested in a TW cable system that uses Pioneer software. My understanding is that in areas like South Carolina & Green Bay where the SA8000HD has already been rolled out, that those systems use Scientific Atlanta software. Of course this is only a best guess at this point as Time Warner Charlotte won't say for sure what HDTV DVR box they are testing.
post #768 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Charlotte has said they are testing a Pioneer Box. And the box I have now is a Pioneer box. Which doesn't prove anything.

Hugh Campbell
post #769 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

How is reliability of TW DVR boxes?
The tech that came out said they had been very troublesome...hard drive crashes, etc...but he was referring to the SD version.
post #770 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this is off topic but since most of you use the 3510 HD box from TWC let me ask if anyone has noticed this problem. I split the coax coming in my house with one going to my 3510 and the other going direct to my tivo and from there going into the RF input of my Pioneer Elite 520HD. The SD signal from my cable box looks badly spread out......not zoomed but more like stretched. However, the same channel coming out of my Tivo box looks just fine using full screen mode on my TV. I've tried all the screen modes on the 3510 and nothing helps. The only time I use the box is for HD which is perfect. I would love to get out of my 3510 the same good looking picture I get without the box. Perhaps the 3510 is just poorly made and it is just something I must put up with.

Hugh Campbell
post #771 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand Scientific Atlanta boxes use an operating system called Power TV. Application programs are either SA (SARA) or Pioneer (Passport). It comes down to the software used on the cable company head-end. If they run SA software it appears they generally use only SA hardware and application (box) software.

If they run Pioneer server software however they can and often mix SA, Pioneer, and/or Pace boxes and the SA and Pioneer boxes run Pioneer application software (and probably the PACE too). The choice of software and hardware is made by your local cable co. TWCSC uses SARA based hardware and we have the SARA version 8000HD DVR box in use now. It appears Charlotte will use a box (not sure which) using Pioneer software. That unit appears to be on a different development / test / deployment time-line. The first box approved apparently was the SARA based 8000HD.

Reliability of the 8000DVR seems to be tied to one's cable company. Here with TWCSC I have had an 8000 DVR for about 16 months and I find its reliability to be very good. Yes it has had occasional minor issues/burps but they have also been updating the software as we go along. Very good value for the money. Some places like Austin have had major problems (see the yahoo group for discussions). The Passport version apparently has a few more features and some folks do believe it is more reliable. All I know is our SD box works very well.

I replaced a SA3250HD with an 8000HD about a month ago and it has had a couple of burps/reboots and one very bad recording (lots of bad stuttering; watchable but could not FF). All other recordings have been fine or with just a bit of minor stuttering (not typical). All in all I am very pleased with it and I am sure they will be pushing down updates as well. (note: the analog outputs and the DVI are not yet enabled; those updates are expected next month). The 8000HD is a very welcome addition here; great capability for a very reasonable price. Bottom line is I would not categorize either box as troublesome but as always, YMMV.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #772 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM

I live in Charlotte and have a SA DVR box (SD of course). I love it and have never really had any problems with it. I think it froze up on me once and didn't record something that it was suppused to another time. Other than that, it works great. I also have the pioneer 3510 HD box on my other tv... it is ok, but I feel like the SA box is a little better. The pioneer box seems slower and the navigator+ (or whatever the guide is called) looks like crap on the screen (very pixely). The navigator+ on the SA box looked a looked alot better on the same TV. I am going to get a HD-DVR box when it comes out, and if I had my choice, I would prefer a SA box.

btw... does anyone have an answer for the question I asked on the last page? thanks.
post #773 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chief17
btw... does anyone have an answer for the question I asked on the last page? thanks.

Sorry, no answer, but I would seriously consider the same thing (drop a premium and pick up the HDTV package) if it is/were an option.

Also, any news on Cinemax HD or Starz! HD?

Mark
post #774 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 09:46 PM

I have the SD DVR and have had to swap one out due to hard drive failure. The box writes to the hard drive 24 hours a day - even if the box is off - and there isn't a cooling fan for the hard drive.
Just hope you are up to date on all of your recorded shows if it decides to die on you!

Keep in mind that with directTivo you can't record local channels in HD. and the only way you can get the locals in HD is thru an OTA antenna.
post #775 of 7936 Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 PM

If the DirectTV HD Tivo is hooked up to an OTA antenna, shouldnt you be able to record OTA signals? If not, then my decision becomes much easier on which system to wait for.
post #776 of 7936 Old 02-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Panzer948
If the DirectTV HD Tivo is hooked up to an OTA antenna, shouldnt you be able to record OTA signals? If not, then my decision becomes much easier on which system to wait for.

This is a good question one that I hadn't thought of but would be very intrested in the answer. If you can't record OTA HD with the Direct Tivo setup then the answer for me is easy as well. I would just put up with the pitfalls of cable and hold out for the DVR box from TW.

Rodney
post #777 of 7936 Old 02-14-2004, 07:50 AM

I did some more research on this issue last night and found this thread on the HD Tivo forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=151443

Looks like it can record OTA HD. So our decision is still just as hard as before
post #778 of 7936 Old 02-14-2004, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

mduskin mentioned a DirecTiVo ($99) which can't do ANYTHING with an HDTV signal. He's not talking about the DirecTV HDTiVo ($999).

-Morgan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The HDTV Gallery has RETURNED!!!
post #779 of 7936 Old 02-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Panzer948
I did some more research on this issue last night and found this thread on the HD Tivo forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=151443

Looks like it can record OTA HD. So our decision is still just as hard as before

Yep more confused than ever! $999 yikes that's not cheap!

Rodney
post #780 of 7936 Old 02-15-2004, 07:07 AM

For all you race fans. NAscar indemand is free this weekend. You can ride in car and listen to communicatios with Earnahardt, Waltrip, Biffle, Kenseth, Stewart, Harvick and Jimmy Johnson. Channels 916-922 on your TW box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page