Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 261 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #7801 of 7963 Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We had Vision Cable from '85-'87 when we rented a house about a block away from channel 36 when they were on Hood Road. Service was good but the signal was a little weak at times. They tried several times with limited success to boost the signal. At least it was better than the ghosty signal a friend of mine had with Cablevision living in the Carmel Road area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7963 Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Did TWC get rid of all US based customer support? Seems like no matter what time I call I get a foreign call center.

post #7803 of 7963 Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Of course as some wait for Google fiber's benefits other's enjoy them: http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/As-Charlotte-waits-for-fiber-another-town-shows-off-its-benefits-248653301.html

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #7804 of 7963 Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Of course as some wait for Google fiber's benefits other's enjoy them: http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/As-Charlotte-waits-for-fiber-another-town-shows-off-its-benefits-248653301.html

I don't think Fibrant is a good example of what Google Fiber is going to bring to town. The fastest speed Fibrant offers is 100Mbps symmetrical. GoogleFiber offers 10 times that capacity. For less money, to boot.

The Wilson, NC fiber story would be a much closer comparison because they do offer 1Gbps.

I am glad the article noted NC state law about quashing community broadband. And glad to see Fibrant is making money.
post #7805 of 7963 Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post

Quote:

I don't think Fibrant is a good example of what Google Fiber is going to bring to town. The fastest speed Fibrant offers is 100Mbps symmetrical. GoogleFiber offers 10 times that capacity. For less money, to boot.

The Wilson, NC fiber story would be a much closer comparison because they do offer 1Gbps.

I am glad the article noted NC state law about quashing community broadband. And glad to see Fibrant is making money.

The capability is there for 1Gbps with current equipment but after some customers experience 100Mbps and realize the limitations are on the internet itself not their provider it works great.

post #7806 of 7963 Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The capability is there for 1Gbps with current equipment but after some customers experience 100Mbps and realize the limitations are on the internet itself not their provider it works great.

I'm not questioning that at all.

I've been a RoadRunner customer since 1997. In 2010 I I got TWC's 50x5 service. Since then I've switched several times between 50x5 and 35x5. And honestly, I don't notice the difference living by myself.

Have a family of 4 and everyone wants to watch 1080p streams? Sure. +50Mbps will be nice. Run torrents all day long? Yeah. Servers? Sure.

But to compare GoogleFiber to fibrant as it sits today? Meh.
post #7807 of 7963 Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #7808 of 7963 Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

Well, well, well look what made the Observer today.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/11/4758267/shelby-based-tech-firm-launching.html#.Ux_BGCj3bJw

They don' have drops in the home? Use wireless to deliver up to 100mbs to your home router? Beats TWC at the moment but they are going to push ultimate to 300mbps once they go all digital in Charlotte. If all my neighbors sign up and we are all watching Netflix at the same time do I still get 100mbps? How are they going to offer video, seems they are more bandwidth restricted than TWC if they are using wireless. Not exactly the service I was expecting...
post #7809 of 7963 Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccofer View Post

They don' have drops in the home? Use wireless to deliver up to 100mbs to your home router? Beats TWC at the moment but they are going to push ultimate to 300mbps once they go all digital in Charlotte. If all my neighbors sign up and we are all watching Netflix at the same time do I still get 100mbps? How are they going to offer video, seems they are more bandwidth restricted than TWC if they are using wireless. Not exactly the service I was expecting...

Agreed. Unless you're a business this is not really noteworthy for now.

And it's sad, too. The US needs more pure internet delivery companies like RST than they do TWC, Comcasts, AT&T's who have other interests to protect.

Edit - Got an email from them in reply to me asking if they were doing wireless or FTTH in Charlotte. Gail replied "both".
post #7810 of 7963 Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 50
According to another article that I read, whether you can get one or the other depends upon your physical location. They are using a wireless solution for places where they don't have easy access for wired connections.

I disagree that it's for business only. TWC pricing for internet access is ridiculously high for not that much. Currently 30M/5M service, if you used their modem, in Charlotte is ~$82/month. If they are offering 100G for just $99, with no caps (expected when Comcast takes over TWC), then for many people, that is a no brainer. TWC's 30M/5M and 50M/5M are instantly obsolete. Uverse? AT&T (aka BellSouth) should be embarrassed.

My guess, in regards to the Netflix comment is that RST fiber won't have any issues with installing Netflix's peering servers right on their network. This is something that TWC refused to do, even though it would benefit their customers.
post #7811 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

According to another article that I read, whether you can get one or the other depends upon your physical location. They are using a wireless solution for places where they don't have easy access for wired connections.

I disagree that it's for business only. TWC pricing for internet access is ridiculously high for not that much. Currently 30M/5M service, if you used their modem, in Charlotte is ~$82/month. If they are offering 100G for just $99, with no caps (expected when Comcast takes over TWC), then for many people, that is a no brainer. TWC's 30M/5M and 50M/5M are instantly obsolete. Uverse? AT&T (aka BellSouth) should be embarrassed.

My guess, in regards to the Netflix comment is that RST fiber won't have any issues with installing Netflix's peering servers right on their network. This is something that TWC refused to do, even though it would benefit their customers.

In regards to Netflix, you have to have a substantial amount of bandwidth utilization being allocated to Netflix 5-10Gbps> peak hours to qualify for a server. RST is also delivering the majority of their residential customers 98%> via Wireless and the large commercial customers will get Active-E or GPON depending on their needs.

post #7812 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, you can get 30/5 on promotion for $56/mo right now.

I've got another month on 50/5 for that same price. Normal price on 50/5 is $99.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a wireless connection (or would even be able to receive it - I'm down in a hole and no one in my neighborhood is able to get acceptable cellular reception from any of the carriers. My 3G Microcell is busy 24/7).

As of this very instant, RST is more of a business play (For example, they are one of the data providers for the new data centers that are springing up in Kings Mountain) than home consumer. Much like DukeNet - or whatever TWC renamed it when they bought it. That'll change sure enough. And hopefully, eventually give TWC some concern. I suspect that's a good 3-4 years away. Ditto with Google Fiber.

I've heard from a couple of folks that they have AT&T UVerse and are sporting a 40 down and 5 up connection. I would suspect you've got to be 25 feed from the CO or cabinet to get that speed, though. None-the-less, AT&T isn't much of a player in the high speed race no matter how many press releases they issue.
post #7813 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course there is always a promotion. Tricks are for kids too. If TWC actually had to compete, then people constantly wouldn't have to play games with them to get a promotion price. This is getting ready to change it seems.

I don't think it's a business play. They wired up 20,000 homes in Shelby. RST's first area for expanded service in NC is Balantyne which does have some businesses but is basically huge planned community of residential areas. 10s of 1000s live there. I think they are going to target resident subscribers just as they did in Shelby.
post #7814 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In regards to Netflix, you have to have a substantial amount of bandwidth utilization being allocated to Netflix 5-10Gbps> peak hours to qualify for a server. RST is also delivering the majority of their residential customers 98%> via Wireless and the large commercial customers will get Active-E or GPON depending on their needs.

I don't think they will have a problem with this. According to techwire, they are moving into RDU too.
post #7815 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

Of course there is always a promotion. Tricks are for kids too. If TWC actually had to compete, then people constantly wouldn't have to play games with them to get a promotion price. This is getting ready to change it seems.

I don't think it's a business play. They wired up 20,000 homes in Shelby. RST's first area for expanded service in NC is Balantyne which does have some businesses but is basically huge planned community of residential areas. 10s of 1000s live there. I think they are going to target resident subscribers just as they did in Shelby.

They pass 20,000 homes, the don't actually have that in residential subs more like 1/10th of that.

post #7816 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Meh, it takes all of 7 minutes to call TWC and say "what promotions is my account eligible for". They tell me, I ok it, hang up and go on about my day.

As ybsane noted, it is very easy to pass 20k homes. Not so much to hook them all up. A friend of mine watched them trench the fiber in front of his place. He calls up and tells them he saw them trenching and when could he get fiber and they said they'd only service his address via wireless.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to sign up and even help dig the trenches when and if service becomes available. I just don't think, at this very moment in time, it's that big a deal to get excited about. So much more work has to be done.

Of all the folks I know in Shelby I know of 1 who has their service. And has had it for awhile. I don't know if they're FTTH or wireless, though. Trying to get in touch with them to find out.
post #7817 of 7963 Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meh, it takes all of 7 minutes to call TWC and say "what promotions is my account eligible for". They tell me, I ok it, hang up and go on about my day.

As ybsane noted, it is very easy to pass 20k homes. Not so much to hook them all up. A friend of mine watched them trench the fiber in front of his place. He calls up and tells them he saw them trenching and when could he get fiber and they said they'd only service his address via wireless.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to sign up and even help dig the trenches when and if service becomes available. I just don't think, at this very moment in time, it's that big a deal to get excited about. So much more work has to be done.

Of all the folks I know in Shelby I know of 1 who has their service. And has had it for awhile. I don't know if they're FTTH or wireless, though. Trying to get in touch with them to find out.

I do the same thing with TWC for internet since I am not getting for free anymore, I like Direc/tv for my wife and kids. Me between OTA and C/Ku is enough to keep me happy.

post #7818 of 7963 Old 03-14-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Great article about the cost of programming: http://www.thewrap.com/cable-bill-battle-subscribers-providers-carriage-fees

post #7819 of 7963 Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meh, it takes all of 7 minutes to call TWC and say "what promotions is my account eligible for". They tell me, I ok it, hang up and go on about my day.....

Actually the only promotion I can get at the moment from them is to upgrade to 50M for same price. No benefit to me. The point, is their pricing isn't competitive if RST moves in.

On the other point I was responding to the claim that it is business only What they are doing demonstrates this isn't so. They are announcing availability in Balantine, which I stated earlier, is a residential community. Of course they don't have much hooked up. The announcement was only this week.
post #7820 of 7963 Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Apparently WCNC is moving to TWC channel 1203 for the HD channel. I remember the days when it was carried on cable channel 6 and known as NBC-6.
post #7821 of 7963 Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Apparently WCNC is moving to TWC channel 1203 for the HD channel. I remember the days when it was carried on cable channel 6 and known as NBC-6.

You'd think TWC could figure channel mappings out. OTA and DirecTV don't suffer channel numbering issues.
post #7822 of 7963 Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You'd think TWC could figure channel mappings out. OTA and DirecTV don't suffer channel numbering issues.

TWC is moving to the national channel lineup. Once all TWC areas are moved, they're supposed to be uniform in every TWC region.

Regardless of the city, it will be:

1200 - ABC
1203 - NBC
1206 - FOX
1209 - CBS
1212 - CW
1215 - MyNetwork
1221 - PBS
1224 - Univision
1230 - Independent

The analog versions on 2-99 will remain until everyone goes all-digital.
post #7823 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

TWC is moving to the national channel lineup. Once all TWC areas are moved, they're supposed to be uniform in every TWC region.

Regardless of the city, it will be:

1200 - ABC
1203 - NBC
1206 - FOX
1209 - CBS
1212 - CW
1215 - MyNetwork
1221 - PBS
1224 - Univision
1230 - Independent

The analog versions on 2-99 will remain until everyone goes all-digital.

It's still a stupid idea. They've got the technology out there to map it to the local channel number. On DirecTV, when I want to watch WBTV, channel 3, you know what number I key in? 3. WCNC channel 36? Ohh, 36 is what I key in. And for Bob - WCCB channel 18? 18!! It's crazy man! Crazy. And, what's even more, the SD and HD channel are the SAME ONE!!! It's just berzerk I tell ya!

TWC and their channel mappings have sucked the transistor for a long, long time. And I think this just makes it worse.
post #7824 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
TWC has the same problem that land line telephones have, legacy systems that their customers refuse to give up. Satellite tv and cell phones came along much later with a fresh start and could bypass all the systems that the customers and the government force the cable companies to keep. If TWC would finally dump analog they could give us all the stuff satellite does because every cable customer would then be forced to have a programmable box .
post #7825 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

TWC has the same problem that land line telephones have, legacy systems that their customers refuse to give up. Satellite tv and cell phones came along much later with a fresh start and could bypass all the systems that the customers and the government force the cable companies to keep. If TWC would finally dump analog they could give us all the stuff satellite does because every cable customer would then be forced to have a programmable box .

What does that have to do with anything?

They clearly moved all the channels to these new channel assignments. What's stopping them from making WBTV "3" instead of 1209? They can assign the numbers now. They are doing it. The people who are still analog have no idea anything happened. Just like they could have the box do now.
post #7826 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 100
All of the local newscasts were reminding viewers about the TWC change. But if you don't have a cable box, do they still offer the local HD channels via clear qam? I think I heard them say you would have to rescan. Meanwhile Charter systems have dropped clear qam as you are required to have a digital cable box.
post #7827 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

What does that have to do with anything?

They clearly moved all the channels to these new channel assignments. What's stopping them from making WBTV "3" instead of 1209? They can assign the numbers now. They are doing it. The people who are still analog have no idea anything happened. Just like they could have the box do now.

3 is the analog channel, digital needs to be on a different physical channel. Sat. Is all digital, therefore no problem for them
post #7828 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 54

Well, I'm going to be an old curmudgeon and express the opinion that the whole idea of typing more than two digits on a remote control to bring up a channel is a bunch of malarkey.

Cable systems are hard pressed to fill even fifty channels with respectable programming, so what business do they have fooling around with four-digit channel numbers?

The world was better in the days when there were only about a half dozen options --- CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and perhaps a couple of independent stations.

post #7829 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

3 is the analog channel, digital needs to be on a different physical channel. Sat. Is all digital, therefore no problem for them

So? I find it -very- hard to believe that they can't tell the cable box to tune QAM XYZ when I key in the number 3 and not have it tune the analog channel.
post #7830 of 7963 Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Quote:

So? I find it -very- hard to believe that they can't tell the cable box to tune QAM XYZ when I key in the number 3 and not have it tune the analog channel.

WBTV isn't channel 3 in the TWC analog cable lineup, is it? I think it's channel 2.

Hey, if people are OK with pressing four keys to bring up a channel, why not set up the remote to recognize the station call letters? You could just type in "WBTV".

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception