post #7861 of 7963 Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
? bonding...tongue.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 7963 Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

? bonding...tongue.gif

No, not lately. Why?
post #7863 of 7963 Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Only 6 channels down in uptown.

post #7864 of 7963 Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 50
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/04/att-copies-google-names-100-cities-where-it-could-offer-gigabit-fiber/

You know if they wanted to do it, they could certainly put a dent in TWC's customer base here in CLT without trying that hard. They have the resources, technology, plant, and most importantly, ROW to every home to do it. Yet they don't seem to be that willing despite what's in that article. They seem only be focused on wireless while Uverse is a dead technology which they have stopped deploying. People continue to give up their telco land lines.

I've wondered somewhat about the clueless executives that run these phone companies and why they seem to willingly give up their 100 year old customer base because of their medieval pricing and stubborn reliance on their twisted pair copper plant to deliver advanced communications. (something it was never designed to do). I guess we will see if the light bulb has come on in that place.

(MaBell of old could be a bitch, but one thing you could say about her, the technology was the best there was for the day.)
post #7865 of 7963 Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/04/att-copies-google-names-100-cities-where-it-could-offer-gigabit-fiber/

You know if they wanted to do it, they could certainly put a dent in TWC's customer base here in CLT without trying that hard. They have the resources, technology, plant, and most importantly, ROW to every home to do it. Yet they don't seem to be that willing despite what's in that article. They seem only be focused on wireless while Uverse is a dead technology which they have stopped deploying. People continue to give up their telco land lines.

I've wondered somewhat about the clueless executives that run these phone companies and why they seem to willingly give up their 100 year old customer base because of their medieval pricing and stubborn reliance on their twisted pair copper plant to deliver advanced communications. (something it was never designed to do). I guess we will see if the light bulb has come on in that place.

(MaBell of old could be a bitch, but one thing you could say about her, the technology was the best there was for the day.)

It is a stupid two-fold why this is happening, stock holders want to see their share's go up but there is no new technology that the company is selling for consumers to be excited about to buy. If they spend the money on FTTH and launch a great product then the stockholders complain they are spending money...frown.gif

It's a no win situation that the stock holders want miracles and some CEO's of these companies is afraid to stand up and make a jump that will be great for his company. If the CEO get's axed for no stock improvements, his golden parachute clause in his/her contract helps them till some other company picks them up, it is an amusing cycle to watch these days.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #7866 of 7963 Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

It is a stupid two-fold why this is happening, stock holders want to see their share's go up but there is no new technology that the company is selling for consumers to be excited about to buy. If they spend the money on FTTH and launch a great product then the stockholders complain they are spending money...frown.gif

It's a no win situation that the stock holders want miracles and some CEO's of these companies is afraid to stand up and make a jump that will be great for his company. If the CEO get's axed for no stock improvements, his golden parachute clause in his/her contract helps them till some other company picks them up, it is an amusing cycle to watch these days.

Rob is correct... it has always been the risk-averse and short-term ROI focused nature (at least when they wouldn't have the "utility" label to hide behind) that has kept the telcos away from large scale residential broadband deployment.  The Cable Act of 1992 (very much a product of Al Gore's dislike for the cable industry) was intended to open the door for the telcos to swoop in and take broadband video away from the cable companies.  In reality, it never happened... in fact, it had the exact opposite effect.  Why?  First, as Rob noted, the capital expenditure required to build all new broadband plant based on speculation of some percentage of business they could steal from the cable ops was too big a pill to swallow for the telcos.  Second, the Cable Act of '92 forced the cable operators' hand to start merging/swapping systems to create the regional superclusters we have today.  This gave them the critical mass needed to start offering telco and data services, with only incremental upgrades required to their already broadband-capable physical plant.  So instead of pushing the telcos into video, the Cable Act ended up pushing the cable ops into voice/data (I think there may be a lesson somewhere in there about the unintended consequences of gov't trying to regulate business entities that they really don't understand).

Don't think for a minute that the cable operators were completely green and jumping cold into operating two-way interactive services on their cable plant.  Warner had been making big public splashes with QUBE for some time, and even smaller operators such as Vision Cable had a good bit of experience, going back to the early '80s, with fiber optics and two-way cable plant, running home security monitoring, Impulse PPV ordering (the forerunner of VoD), Dow Jones News retrieval, two-way live video links for arraignment hearings without need to transport prisoners, etc.

The real irony of all of this (and perhaps most telling aspect of what the telcos really got out of the Cable Act) is that AT&T became a MAJOR supplier to the cable industry in the early '90s, selling them the fiber, optical transmission components and even the data switching/grooming equipment that became the backbone of cable's foray into telephony and broadband data.  AT&T was heavily invested in setting up the cable ops in the telco/data world...  I personally spent (cumulatively) months in AT&T training courses and spec'd $10s of millions of AT&T hardware for Vision Cable.  Strange bedfellows, indeed.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #7867 of 7963 Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Similar to Apple suing Samsung for patent infringement while Samsung makes the CPUs used in the iPhone and iPad
post #7868 of 7963 Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The real irony of all of this (and perhaps most telling aspect of what the telcos really got out of the Cable Act) is that AT&T became a MAJOR supplier to the cable industry in the early '90s, selling them the fiber, optical transmission components and even the data switching/grooming equipment that became the backbone of cable's foray into telephony and broadband data.  AT&T was heavily invested in setting up the cable ops in the telco/data world...  I personally spent (cumulatively) months in AT&T training courses and spec'd $10s of millions of AT&T hardware for Vision Cable.  Strange bedfellows, indeed.
The 1983 court ordered bust up of MaBell to be considered.

The AT&T you mention and worked with doesn't exist anymore. What you are referring to is Lucent (formally Bell Labs/Western Electric) which merged with Alcatel. AT&T is now a brand owned basically by Southwest Bell, which changed it's name when they acquired the remainder of AT&T (basically Long Lines). For example the WECo #5 ESS switch that TWC uses in CLT for telephone service is now serviced by Alcatel, not AT&T. Lesson to be learned here, the cable industry did nothing for AT&T.

Basically it breaks down as follows from the 1984 MaBell bust-up.
  • AT&T old (Long Lines, Western Electric, Bell Labs) -> defunct. WECO & BL are part of Alcatel/lucent. Long Lines gone.
  • Verizon - Mostly former Bell System operating companies in the NE & East down to Virginia plus former GTE territories that were not spun off to Frontier.
  • AT&T current - Mostly all the Southern and West bell operating companies from the Carolinas/ Floridia to California.
  • Several other Bell operating companies - doesn't matter.

The AT&T that we have here in Charlotte is really Bell South. Bell South merged with SW Bell some years back and now shares the new AT&T name. They have nothing to do with the former AT&T company. To my knowledge the current AT&T has never supplied equipment or knowhow to the cable industry. In fact, for a long time, the courts forbade them to get into the equipment business.

Interestingly when Bell South was still an independent company, they had started a FTTH project in the Atlanta area. I think it dates back to the late 1990s. That work basically halted when they merged with AT&T but I believe those lines still exist. AT&T is now planning, if they haven't already done so, FTTH in Austin in response to Google Fiber moving in. If that happens, the local cable company, I'm not sure which one is there, isn't going to like it. DOCSIS 3.0 IMO, isn't competitive, much like ADSL/VDSL isn't competitive with DOCSIS 3.0 (i.e. what happened to Uverse)
post #7869 of 7963 Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Don't think for a minute that the cable operators were completely green and jumping cold into operating two-way interactive services on their cable plant.  Warner had been making big public splashes with QUBE for some time, .....

I haven't heard of Qube in a long time if it is the system I remember. Seems to me there was even a short lived TV show that included people voting from it. It must not have gone anywhere however as it seems to have disappeared in obscurity.

QUBE, reminds me of the old PicturePhone service. Ahead of it's time and most likely too expensive to deploy for most. The PicturePhone was a technological marvel (twisted pair copper!!) given the 1960s level of analog technology available, but tt was so insanely expensive that even businesses would not subscribe to it. It was available in a few large cities for a while, but AT&T quietly withdrew it in the early 1970s. There used to be one of those phones located in downtown CLT back in the 1970s. (though it didn't connect to anything lol)
post #7870 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Where. NC based TWC, will end up with a Comcast/TWC marriage has become a little less certain. Comcast has upped the figure that it says it will spin off to Charter, to something close to 4M now. They also say they are going to create an independant company to handle "Comcast" customers in the South & Midwest. This is according to Cnet.
post #7871 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know, it sounds more like NC is going to Comcast. And I think our part of SC is going to Comcast as well. (Florence/Myrtle Beach)
Quote:
Under the deal announced today, Comcast will transfer to Charter current TWC systems serving approximately 3 million customers in Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Alabama. Time Warner Cable employees working in those systems will become employees of Charter when the transactions are completed. In connection with the deal, Comcast will receive current Charter systems serving approximately 1.6 million subscribers in the states of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Maryland, and some smaller areas contiguous to existing Comcast or Time Warner Cable systems.

At about the same time, some current Comcast systems, totaling 2.5 million subscribers in areas including Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Alabama, will be transferred to a new, independent, publicly traded company that will be majority owned by Comcast shareholders (including former TWC shareholders), with Charter owning a minority stake. Charter will provide operational support to the new company. Comcast will have no ownership interest in the company and will not manage these systems.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Charter-Comcast-Strike-Deal-to-Swap-Subs-Launch-Spinoff-128725
post #7872 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There is a map of the proposed transaction which shows Charter's markets after the transaction and Charlotte is not included which means Charlotte will become a Comcast market.

Look at slide 10.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjMxMTEyfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1
post #7873 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Will Charlotte markets of Lincolnton, Morganton, Hickory, Lenoir, and Boone remain with Charter or become Comcast? And what about Asheville?
post #7874 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Will Charlotte markets of Lincolnton, Morganton, Hickory, Lenoir, and Boone remain with Charter or become Comcast? And what about Asheville?

Looks like those are rolled into Comcast:

Quote:

In connection with the deal, Comcast will receive current Charter systems serving approximately 1.6 million subscribers in the states of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Maryland, and some smaller areas contiguous to existing Comcast or Time Warner Cable systems.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #7875 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

There is a map of the proposed transaction which shows Charter's markets after the transaction and Charlotte is not included which means Charlotte will become a Comcast market.

Look at slide 10.

Interesting. Looks as if they are trying to avoid TWCs assets in flyover country & the rust belt minus Chicago.

In any case, I guess it's a sign there is some pushback to this deal if they are all of a sudden changing it. There is an entire subreddit now devoted to what a sorry company that Comcast is and how they are almost universally hated by their customers (except maybe if you live in Philly).

Will be interesting to see how much more this changes, if it is actually approved.
post #7876 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
L
Quote:

Look at page 10 of the link I posted.
post #7877 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Of course,
Interesting. Looks as if they are trying to avoid TWCs assets in flyover country & the rust belt minus Chicago.

In any case, I guess it's a sign there is some pushback to this deal if they are all of a sudden changing it. There is an entire subreddit now devoted to what a sorry company that Comcast is and how they are almost universally hated by their customers (except maybe if you live in Philly).

Will be interesting to see how much more this changes, if it is actually approved.

This isn't a change. The divestiture plan was part of the original merger announcement.
post #7878 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

This isn't a change. The divestiture plan was part of the original merger announcement.
Actually it is a change. As I indicated above, they increased the number (by close to a million customers) they originally said they would divest.
post #7879 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Looks like Boone, Hickory, Lenoir, Lincolnton, and Morganton will go to Comcast, while Asheville remains Charter. Along with Greenville-Spartanburg. If I understand correctly.
post #7880 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Looks like Boone, Hickory, Lenoir, Lincolnton, and Morganton will go to Comcast, while Asheville remains Charter. Along with Greenville-Spartanburg. If I understand correctly.

That would be my understanding, as the map in the investor presentation shows the Carolinas devoid of dots outside of mountain North Carolina and upstate South Carolina.
post #7881 of 7963 Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The dots on the map represent the proposed combined footprint of the "new" Charter and the Comcast systems to be spun off into a new, Charter-managed company.

Dark blue - exisitng Charter systems remaining after the swaps with Comcast
Medium blue - existing Time Warner Cable systems being transferred or sold to Charter
Orange - Existing Comcast and Time Warner Cable systems to be spun off to a new company, 67% owned by Comcast shareholders and 33% by Charter, which will manage the "Spinco."
Existing Charter systems not shown on the map will be transferred to Comcast.

Map of Charter service locations and Spinco ex-Comcast systems, post--TWC-Comcast merger
post #7882 of 7963 Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Charlotte is moving forward with Google Fiber.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/04/28/4872554/city-to-move-forward-with-google.html

If they pull this off, it's going to be a game changer in CLT. Uverse will go completely belly up and Comcast/TWC will have to rethink their draconian policies.
post #7883 of 7963 Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
jrs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume that google fiber won't help us here in Matthews...
post #7884 of 7963 Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

I assume that google fiber won't help us here in Matthews...

It will be interesting to see if the towns will join in with this or not. Sounds as if Google is mainly looking for usage of ROW owned by the cities for it's cable plant. I can see the towns being very willing to allow this. Huntersville, Matthews, Pineville, Mt. Hill, I think wouldn't have any issue with it. Davidson & Cornelius, unfortunately for them, own MI Connection. (stupid name)

The TV news said this morning that Google plans to offer a free plan if users pay a $300 install fee. I think that free plan is a 5M/5M plan that instantly blows Ultimate DSL out of the picture, and puts TWC's lower paid plans to absolute shame.

It would be even more interesting to see what TWC (or the devil's spawn TWC/Comcast) will do with pricing for the area if google starts signing up customers in Charlotte. They will have a lot of egg all over their face if they reduce prices greatly in CLT and only in the neighborhoods that get Google. TWC & AT&T(BellSouth) lobbied the state government to pass a law that protected their interests in the state. I could see a recall on that if they resorted to such tactics. The FTC is working on a plan to overturn it in the 20 states that passed such laws.

Competition is always good. The cable (pay TV) industry has never really had this.
post #7885 of 7963 Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 PM

Liked: 10
I can not find the clear QAM channel for NBC (WCNC) when doing a scan. I get all other networks in HD. I'm in Waxhaw. Anyone know why?
post #7886 of 7963 Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM

For those with Time warner internet, log into myaccount and check those promo prices.

$10 a month for turbo for a year

$20 a month for extreme for a year

$30 a month for Ultimate 50 for a year

I just upgraded from Standard to Ultimate, nice to have my bill go down $5 LOL

EDIT: Must have been a website error, it's back to normal prices now. I should have screen capped it
post #7887 of 7963 Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post

I can not find the clear QAM channel for NBC (WCNC) when doing a scan. I get all other networks in HD. I'm in Waxhaw. Anyone know why?

WCNC is on QAM Ch-18.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7888 of 7963 Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Charlote programming updates page was updated today:

"Charlotte and surrounding areas

June 4, 2014

Time Warner Cable’s agreements with programmers and broadcasters to carry their services and stations routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, but in order to comply with applicable regulations, we must inform you when an agreement is about to expire. The following agreements are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services/stations in the near future:

WDHN (SD & HD), NHL Center Ice, Youtoo, Outdoor Channel"

I didn't know that we were supposed to be getting programming from Dothan, Alabama. Go figure.
post #7889 of 7963 Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Getting 8 Bonded Downstream channels now in Gastonia, still no upstream bonding (of course)
post #7890 of 7963 Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Would this be coming to NC/CLT?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page