post #7921 of 7963 Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post
So the TG862 that I have won't be able to handle 16x4? I'm at 8x1 in Union County, have been since the first of the year.
The current CMTS unit's that TWC has in their hub sites (Cisco 10K) will not handle 16x4 and the 750mhz architecture of the system is not big enough also. Maybe sometime after around 5-years the technology will allow for an all IP design and then things will be different for video and internet protocols.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 7963 Old 08-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
I would not worrying about upgrading in the Charlotte market area for two reasons: The Cisco 10K's that are deployed only handle 8x4 and second the markets that have 16x4 bonding (Arris CMTS units) are 862-1Ghz systems and this market is only 750Mhz except for the Huntersville/Statesvilles systems which where built to 1Ghz but are operating at a 862Mhz.
I have heard that we have both Cisco and Arris CMTS systems deployed in town. Is that true?
post #7923 of 7963 Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post
I have heard that we have both Cisco and Arris CMTS systems deployed in town. Is that true?
Yes, the majority are the Cisco's but a few hub sites have the Arris C4 in them.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #7924 of 7963 Old 08-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The current CMTS unit's that TWC has in their hub sites (Cisco 10K) will not handle 16x4 and the 750mhz architecture of the system is not big enough also. Maybe sometime after around 5-years the technology will allow for an all IP design and then things will be different for video and internet protocols.

Can TWC replace all the hubs within 18 months? If not, it was awfully silly of them to name Charlotte as one of the Maxx cities by the end of 2015.
post #7925 of 7963 Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
TWC is killing analog along with 16x4 bonding so yes the 750MHz will support it they just have to remove the analog channels first.
post #7926 of 7963 Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I would not worrying about upgrading in the Charlotte market area for two reasons: The Cisco 10K's that are deployed only handle 8x4 and second the markets that have 16x4 bonding (Arris CMTS units) are 862-1Ghz systems and this market is only 750Mhz except for the Huntersville/Statesvilles systems which where built to 1Ghz but are operating at a 862Mhz.
hmm most of the new CMTS' are from CASA Systems according to:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tim...ris/2013-10-21

also TWC has former Comcast systems in LA running at 750MHz all-digital getting MAXX internet speeds.
post #7927 of 7963 Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gotta give props when deserved...

We built our house late last year. I'm now a DirecTV subscriber, but still have TWC for internet. IMHO you can't beat TWC's internet service- at least for now- but that's beside the point.

This past Friday I had some landscaping done last week and they accidentally cut the TWC wire that was buried. I called Thursday morning and they got there Friday morning.

The TWC tech was a sharp guy- probably late 20s, early 30s. Firm handshake, looked me right in the eye. Had his sh*t together.

He fixed the buried cable, but what really made me happy was that I've had an old cable that was no longer in use aerial trespass my front yard from my neighbor's house. Total eye sore. Part of the cable actually laid on the corner of my front porch roof.

For MONTHS I tried to get TWC to remove the cable. One time they actually came out, it was in January and it was snowing/sleeting (I give them the benefit of the doubt for that one). But they never rescheduled.

Fast forward to last Friday. I asked the TWC tech what I could do to get this removed. He told me to use the phrase "aerial trespass" when calling TWC, which I did. I got the runaround and was told someone would call me in the next week or so.

Well the tech who was at my house that morning called me to say that he spoke to his supervisor and offered to come and remove the eyesore cable.

This guy took the initiative to call his boss and escalate this issue- that wasn't his problem.

He came back and removed the wire. I was giddy all weekend. I got his name and tweeted to TWC Help to let them know how happy I was about this tech.

Just wanted to let other folks know that as much as everyone complains about crappy service, sometimes you find that diamond in the rough.
jrs likes this.
post #7928 of 7963 Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
Need some advice -

I currently have Directv. I have a family member that is moving in with me and need to add another receiver. Directv wants another 2 year commit for that receiver and I do not want to do that. I am thinking about switching to TWC. I currently have both internet and home phone with them. It has been several years since I had TWC Cable. How is the HD quality? Is the guide any better? Is the guide in HD yet? What receiver do I want?

Thanks
post #7929 of 7963 Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Distorted Audio on WCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Exact same issue here. I've heard it on The Blacklist, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Revolution, so it's not specific to only one show, either.
Do you still have the noise issue?
post #7930 of 7963 Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I don't think so. Taxi Brooklyn is the only NBC show I've watched since the season ended for those four shows. I haven't noticed it at all on that show.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #7931 of 7963 Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

A friend of mine picked up the new Tivo to ditch his TWC issued DVR.

He had everything up and working when he took the TWC DVR back. He got home, fired up the Tivo to watch some TV and all of the expanded channels (FX, Smithsonian, TBS, MTV, etc) channels were gone.

National and the local stores told him he had to have a TWC issued DVR on his account for him to get service on his Tivo. That doesn't sound right at all. Is this true?

He was also told he couldn't activate his purchased cable modem over the phone either. The local store said that wasn't right and activated it for him on the spot.

Has TWC support just gone down the toilet the past couple of months?
post #7932 of 7963 Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine picked up the new Tivo to ditch his TWC issued DVR.

He had everything up and working when he took the TWC DVR back. He got home, fired up the Tivo to watch some TV and all of the expanded channels (FX, Smithsonian, TBS, MTV, etc) channels were gone.

National and the local stores told him he had to have a TWC issued DVR on his account for him to get service on his Tivo. That doesn't sound right at all. Is this true?

He was also told he couldn't activate his purchased cable modem over the phone either. The local store said that wasn't right and activated it for him on the spot.

Has TWC support just gone down the toilet the past couple of months?

Depending on the model, the Tivo should work with a cable card to get everything outside of on demand channels, or it will get just analog channels if it's directly connected to the coax.
post #7933 of 7963 Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Depending on the model, the Tivo should work with a cable card to get everything outside of on demand channels, or it will get just analog channels if it's directly connected to the coax.
He couldn't receive jack after turning in the TWC issued. DVR. None of the extended basic channels. It's a brand new Tivo and worked prior to returning the TWC issued DVR.

Anyway, after spending about 4 hours on the phone yesterday he finally got to the CableCard help desk (who knew?) and the CSR spent about 30 minutes getting everything straightened out. Apparently his billing got all jacked up.

The real test should be if his channels remain when he returns the 2nd TWC issued DVR that they (incorrectly) mandated he have in order for his Tivo to work.
post #7934 of 7963 Old 09-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What's up with all the macro blocking and missing channels tonight. So many channels unavailable and others are freezing. See this on all boxes.
post #7935 of 7963 Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
What's up with all the macro blocking and missing channels tonight. So many channels unavailable and others are freezing. See this on all boxes.
I'm hoping it's the solar flares. I'm getting it here too near Clover.
post #7936 of 7963 Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's also just about autumnal equinox time, too.
post #7937 of 7963 Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He couldn't receive jack after turning in the TWC issued. DVR. None of the extended basic channels. It's a brand new Tivo and worked prior to returning the TWC issued DVR.

Anyway, after spending about 4 hours on the phone yesterday he finally got to the CableCard help desk (who knew?) and the CSR spent about 30 minutes getting everything straightened out. Apparently his billing got all jacked up.

The real test should be if his channels remain when he returns the 2nd TWC issued DVR that they (incorrectly) mandated he have in order for his Tivo to work.
I have the TiVo Romio with Cable Card and have no issues. I have no other Time Warner boxes on my account. I just pay $2 for the cable card. To receive the upper channels the cable card has to be authorized. This is easily done by the Cable Card team. They have their own number and quite frankly they rock! They really know their stuff.

Now the tuner adapter that is required is another story. It sucks and has to be rebooted about once a month. Overall I have never been happier. The TiVo boxes are lightening fast. I have used Time Warner, DirectTV and Uverse boxes in the past and none of them compare to the TiVo. I live deep in the woods with towering oaks all around me. Time Warner is my only option now. I am so glad that TiVo works with Time Warner. The Time Warner Signature Home boxes were terrible. I could not get rid of those fast enough. I have three TiVo Minis right now. They are having a $150 sale right now on the Minis so I plan on purchasing several more. It's expensive but they work well and that is worth it for me.

Rodney
post #7938 of 7963 Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
Now the tuner adapter that is required is another story. It sucks and has to be rebooted about once a month.
So far, said friend hasn't had a single issue with the tuning adapter. He's not yet returned the cable box he got. We'll see how that goes.

I had SH for all of 59 days back in 2010. They took away my 8300HD (which I had an external HD on) and gave me those terrible, horrible stupid Cisco boxes that wouldn't let you put an external HD on it. I gave them back and hopped to DirecTV and have been a happy camper ever since. Well, until AT&T announced they were going to buy them. That happens, I'm done with DirecTV. I won't give AT&T a penny of my money.
post #7939 of 7963 Old 09-24-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I just got a new Directv Genie...one sweet DVR...much better than TWC's.
Darksaber likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7940 of 7963 Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I just got a new Directv Genie...one sweet DVR...much better than TWC's.
They called me last night to offer a free one. And I'd totally jump on it if the AT&T deal weren't pending (that whole 2 year contract issue and all) and if I could self install the free one.

They won't let you self install the free one. But you can "buy" one from Solid Signal and self install it. I'm weird about letting people into my home.
post #7941 of 7963 Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Same here..Tho the guy jumped thru a lot of unncessary hoops to ground the dish, much more than twc ever would have done.
Which I will have to go undo when I get time as it's messy, and really doesn't ground it properly anyway.
Tho TWC did come thru and redo grounding lately.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7942 of 7963 Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Now the tuner adapter that is required is another story. It sucks and has to be rebooted about once a month.
Similar experience with my two TAs (both paired with HDHR Prime CableCard Tuners). The whole setup (using multiple WMC7 PCs as Front End/DVRs) has been absolutely rock solid for almost three years now... except that the TAs seem to inevitably lock up at some point, typically after 45 days or so. Reboot fixes them and resets whatever "clock" is in them.

Since mine are kinda remotely located and they don't have any remote reboot capabilities (like the HDHRs do), I have mine plugged into IP controlled power outlets so I can reboot them remotely. I try to do it as a preventative measure about once a month or so, even if they're running OK. I forgot last month and about a week ago both of mine locked up within about 12 hours of each other.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #7943 of 7963 Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I have the TiVo Romio with Cable Card and have no issues. I have no other Time Warner boxes on my account. I just pay $2 for the cable card. To receive the upper channels the cable card has to be authorized. This is easily done by the Cable Card team. They have their own number and quite frankly they rock! They really know their stuff.

Now the tuner adapter that is required is another story. It sucks and has to be rebooted about once a month. Overall I have never been happier. The TiVo boxes are lightening fast. I have used Time Warner, DirectTV and Uverse boxes in the past and none of them compare to the TiVo. I live deep in the woods with towering oaks all around me. Time Warner is my only option now. I am so glad that TiVo works with Time Warner. The Time Warner Signature Home boxes were terrible. I could not get rid of those fast enough. I have three TiVo Minis right now. They are having a $150 sale right now on the Minis so I plan on purchasing several more. It's expensive but they work well and that is worth it for me.
What was your issue with the Signature Home boxes? I've had the same two Cisco boxes since I got Signature Home back in 2010 and haven't really had any issues with them. The most recent signal drop issue I had was actually not with the boxes but with an electronic board(amp?) in the pedestal box near the street.

One "positive" of the pending Comcast takeover of TWC is that Comcast will remove SDV from the markets it purchases. Based on what I've read about Comcast's X1 DVR I will probably get a TiVo Roamio and Minis.
post #7944 of 7963 Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
What was your issue with the Signature Home boxes? I've had the same two Cisco boxes since I got Signature Home back in 2010 and haven't really had any issues with them. The most recent signal drop issue I had was actually not with the boxes but with an electronic board(amp?) in the pedestal box near the street.

One "positive" of the pending Comcast takeover of TWC is that Comcast will remove SDV from the markets it purchases. Based on what I've read about Comcast's X1 DVR I will probably get a TiVo Roamio and Minis.
To be clear, there are no positive aspects to Comcast taking over TWC. Any positives there may be are far outweighed by the negatives.

My problem with the POS Cisco boxes they handed out for SH (clearly, this info is dated as I was a SH home customer from August until early October 2010. I understand most of these issues are fixed):

No external storage
Could not delete remote recordings
PQ was terrible
Shows with more than one episode were not placed in a folder. So if you had 20 shows of The Prices is Right it listed it 20 times. It made searching for shows a real PITA.
They were slow. So slow. Kitten killing slow.
No HD GUI
post #7945 of 7963 Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
To be clear, there are no positive aspects to Comcast taking over TWC. Any positives there may be are far outweighed by the negatives.

My problem with the POS Cisco boxes they handed out for SH (clearly, this info is dated as I was a SH home customer from August until early October 2010. I understand most of these issues are fixed):

No external storage
Could not delete remote recordings
PQ was terrible
Shows with more than one episode were not placed in a folder. So if you had 20 shows of The Prices is Right it listed it 20 times. It made searching for shows a real PITA.
They were slow. So slow. Kitten killing slow.
No HD GUI
Remote recordings can be deleted, there are folders and there is an HD GUI.

The PQ is still terrible though.

As for Comcast, I don't expect it to be roses, but below are things they have done in other markets or are about to do.

• New X1 DVR
  • No analog channels - digital only
  • No switched digital video
  • Moving HD channels to MPEG-4
  • Cloud DVR with 500GB of capacity which effectively becomes 1TB with MPEG-4 for HD channels. Based on what I have read eventually the cloud DVR will be Comcast's only DVR offering.
  • DOCSIS 3.1 in 2015 with faster internet speeds.
post #7946 of 7963 Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
  • Moving HD channels to MPEG-4
  • Cloud DVR with 500GB of capacity which effectively becomes 1TB with MPEG-4 for HD channels. Based on what I have read eventually the cloud DVR will be Comcast's only DVR offering.
  • DOCSIS 3.1 in 2015 with faster internet speeds.
Moving to MPEG-4 is a good thing. However, no good can come from the cloud DVR (Have I mentioned how sick I am of "cloud"?). It's all fun and games until the cable goes out and you're stuck with jack squat. At least now, if the cable goes out you can still watch your recordings.

500GB of capacity isn't all that. I routinely fill up the 2TB RAID1 attached storage on my primary DirecTV DVR. And my secondary DVR has 150 hours of The Simpsons on it (which, I'll never watch) and it has 1% free with 500GB of storage.

As for DOCSIS 3.1. I doubt you'll see heavy deployment in 2015. Getting to 1Gbps upstream is going to suck. No matter who you are.

In return we're going to get worse customer support and higher bills. Woo.
post #7947 of 7963 Old 11-05-2014, 03:28 PM

I don't know if we done the right thing or not but we called about getting our month price down with TWC. They said we had the lowest Signature Home package at $199, 2 Samsung DVRs, Home Phone, 50mb down, 5.5mb up and a Ubee Modem/Wireless router. I was able to drop Signature Home and keep everything we had take on a package that also included Starz for $180 and change. The woman said but you get next day service with Signature Home, sorry not true where we live, every problem, 2 or 3 of them, they said it would take 2-4 days to get someone out here so we saw no advantage to keep SH any longer other than we were not under contract. One thing I didn't think about is they will probably start charging a rental fee on the Ubee. If they do I'll just hook the Apple Airport router back up.

Grateful11
post #7948 of 7963 Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Sometime in the past week my TWC modem rebooted itself and I went from 8x1 to 8x4. Will wonders never cease?
post #7949 of 7963 Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
jrs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sometime in the past week my TWC modem rebooted itself and I went from 8x1 to 8x4. Will wonders never cease?
Did your speed change?
post #7950 of 7963 Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Did your speed change?

Sadly, no. Still the same 56/5.5 that I've had for a while.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception