post #781 of 7963 Old 02-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by TWCCLTMKTNG
Brad,

We have space reserved for those channels and will offer those channels in the HD programming space when they offer more than the current three hours or so of native HD programming since that content is already available on your standard programming channels in standard def.

I beg to differ!

Although UPN has only 2 hours per week of HD broadcasting, the WB has over 10 hours of programming per week!

http://wgntv.trb.com/entertainment/w...ll03.htmlstory

Fortunately for me, I have Dish Network and the 921 PVR which allows me to record via OTA. However, I have friends that are dismayed by your decision to hold off on WB and UPN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 7963 Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having a difficulting understanding people who are "dismayed" over a company's decision not to carry certain programming. All companies are in business for one reason.......to make money. All decisions are based on the effect it will have on the bottom line.....either immediately or in the future. HD produces zero net profit and if everyone remembers this these decisions will be easier to understand.

Hugh Campbell
post #783 of 7963 Old 02-16-2004, 12:11 PM

Fortunately for us consumers, congress will step in and force cable companies to broadcast HD locals in a few years, so this problem will be solved.

If you have trouble understanding why someone would be "dismayed" at missing out on quality HD programming when a cable company uses bogus excuses for not carrying programming, then I have trouble understanding why you would have any interest in this discussion thread, since it is for people who want more HD programming.
post #784 of 7963 Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mcowher
Fortunately for us consumers, congress will step in and force cable companies to broadcast HD locals in a few years, so this problem will be solved.

Let's hope that never happens, all we need is more big govenment. But it is a moot point since many of the cable companies are already broadcasting major network programming in HD. In the Charlotte area this has already taken place.

Hugh Campbell
post #785 of 7963 Old 02-16-2004, 02:54 PM

Just saw this press release. TNT-HD goes live May. One would think TWC would be able to roll that channel out fairly quickly being in-house and all. Unlike the ESPN situation. I wouldn't be surprised if we got BravoHD before ESPN.

From the press release:

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc.) is taking Turner Network Television (TNT), one of television's leaders in delivery of adults 18-49 and 25-54 in prime and total day, into the HDTV arena with the launch of TNT-HD in May 2004, it was announced today by Mark Lazarus, president of Turner Entertainment Group. The HDTV simulcast of TNT will offer viewers the broadest range of dramatic programming in HDTV format ever assembled, including series, sports, movies and TNT Originals.

With the launch of TNT-HD, we are sending television into a new dimension, said Lazarus. Top-rated TNT has an incredible array of successful dramatic programming - from Law & Order and NBA coverage to award-winning TNT Originals and blockbuster movies - giving the network an unprecedented combination of programming that is ideally suited to the HDTV format. TNT-HD means more than just high-def. It means high drama.
post #786 of 7963 Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 PM

You could be right about TWC adding TNT-HD or Bravo-HD before ESPN-HD!
They've been saying since the inception of ESPN-HD that they were "in negotiations." When football and basketball season rolled around, I cut the cable and went with DIRECTV and I sure haven't regretted the move so far. The content of ESPN-HD continues to grow with each passing month. How many TWC HD customers would like to see tonight's Duke-Wake Forest game or the March 6 Duke-UNC game on ESPN-HD? Plenty, I'm sure!!!
post #787 of 7963 Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by herrfish1
You could be right about TWC adding TNT-HD or Bravo-HD before ESPN-HD!
They've been saying since the inception of ESPN-HD that they were "in negotiations." When football and basketball season rolled around, I cut the cable and went with DIRECTV and I sure haven't regretted the move so far. The content of ESPN-HD continues to grow with each passing month. How many TWC HD customers would like to see tonight's Duke-Wake Forest game or the March 6 Duke-UNC game on ESPN-HD? Plenty, I'm sure!!!

Yes, but I sure wouldn't switch to DirecTV from TWC just for ESPN-HD when HD in general looks better on TWC.

Hugh Campbell
post #788 of 7963 Old 02-18-2004, 07:05 PM

Sorry, Hugh, but on my set-up there is no difference in picture quality between DIRECTV and TWC! ESPN-HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies and Discovery HD are stunning with DIRECTV. Also, the non-HD Charlotte locals are actually better on DIRECTV than TWC!!! Channel 3 especially is better on DIRECTV. Maybe you have a stronger cable signal and maybe I have a better satellite signal! Good night...I'm headed to the Wake-Duke game in HD!
post #789 of 7963 Old 02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, Hugh, but on my set-up there is no difference in picture quality between DIRECTV and TWC! ESPN-HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies and Discovery HD are stunning with DIRECTV. Also, the non-HD Charlotte locals are actually better on DIRECTV than TWC!!! Channel 3 especially is better on DIRECTV. Maybe you have a stronger cable signal and maybe I have a better satellite signal! Good night...I'm headed to the Wake-Duke game in HD!

Actually I was not stating my opinion but a consensus by people throughout the country when comparing Cable HD to DirecTV HD. DirecTV compresses their signal to the extent that HD is always poor when compared to OTA or Cable. This is not true with Dish. I had TWC and DirecTV and OTA all at the same time and my test results were conclusive in this area and agreed with everyone else who has made the comparison. I am speaking only of HD signals. There is no such thing as a better Sat. signal as respects HD, you either have it or you don't and the same for Cable and OTA.

Hugh Campbell
post #790 of 7963 Old 02-18-2004, 08:57 PM

I do not have the HD Pack on D*, but I do subscribe to HD CBS East & West. The HD content on those channels looks just as good as WBTV-DT on TW.
post #791 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:29 AM

I agree, jmcurrytech. Hugh, it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree! I don't see a "consensus" on these boards--especially with regard to HD programming---that says cable is superior to DIRECTV. And even if there was a "consensus" of that opinion, it wouldn't matter to me, because at my house, the "consensus" is that DIRECTV is superior to TWC in almost every aspect! I've had TWC, OTA, and DIRECTV all at the same time, and I have subsequently chosen to go with DIRECTV and OTA because of programming selection, HD picture quality, and customer service.

With regard to my original post, the Duke-Wake Forest game last night on DIRECTV ESPN-HD was great! I really can't wait to see my Tarheels take on the Dookies at Cameron in HD on March 6!!!

Once again, happy waiting!!!
post #792 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Hugh,
You dismissed my 3510 digital out issue as non-existant since yours worked fine and "the majority of people have no problem".
Now you dismiss herrfish's comment that picture quality is the same based on "consensus by people throughout the country".

Where are you getting your information?
post #793 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree, jmcurrytech. Hugh, it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree! I don't see a "consensus" on these boards--especially with regard to HD programming---that says cable is superior to DIRECTV. And even if there was a "consensus" of that opinion, it wouldn't matter to me, because at my house, the "consensus" is that DIRECTV is superior to TWC in almost every aspect! I've had TWC, OTA, and DIRECTV all at the same time, and I have subsequently chosen to go with DIRECTV and OTA because of programming selection, HD picture quality, and customer service.

With regard to my original post, the Duke-Wake Forest game last night on DIRECTV ESPN-HD was great! I really can't wait to see my Tarheels take on the Dookies at Cameron in HD on March 6!!!

Once again, happy waiting!!!

I guess now I am confused. Shouldn't the picture be the same? It's digital. You either have it or you don't. The colors etc. should be the same for both or am I mistaken. The only improvement the TWC has over DirectTV is less artifacts. I agree with Hugh the boards are pretty much on fire against DirectTV because of the artifacts due to compression.

I would go with DirectTV for the better SD material which on a DLP looks like crap. I just like the features that TWC offers. We use the On Demand and DVR all the time. I don't want to start a war because it's a very personal decision for each person. I really want the HD-DVR and simple economics puts D* out of the picture. I simply don't have $1000 for the D* HD-DVR. I'll take the free one!

Rodney
post #794 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

What a tough crowd this morning. My comments on the 3510 were based on my experience not someone else's.

Oh the Direct TV vs Cable issue I have had discussions at CES both last year and this year with representatives of DirecTV concerning the problems that Direct TV has that Dish does not re artifacts and gererally a poor picture. It is acknowledged that for reasons having to do with compression that DirecTV has a picture (HD picture) that leaves much to be desired when compared to Dish or Cable. I have friends that are involved in the business and don't get my information from "forums" where you don't even know who you are talking to. You can only compare using an OTA signal vs Cable, DirecTV and Dish. Some people may not have the equipment or the experience to discern the subtle differences between the sources. If you do have this experience than you will find that OTA and Cable in the Charlotte area are equal while DirecTV is not quite as good. This is all in reference to HD only.

Hugh Campbell
post #795 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Hugh.
I didn't mean to sound confrontational.
I was getting the impression you were elected to speak for the majority.
I had both D*TV & TW.
My experience was DTV has the advantage over TW on SD channels only when you compare an analog TW channel to the equal (digital) DTV channel.
PS The 3510 digital out issue is real. Maybe a compatibility issue with the Pioneer 49TXi flagship AV rcvr. Who know? TW sure doesn't.
Pending resolution of this issue I will be a happy camper.

Quote:

Originally posted by cajunlab
Hugh,
You dismissed my 3510 digital out issue as non-existant since yours worked fine and "the majority of people have no problem".
Now you dismiss herrfish's comment that picture quality is the same based on "consensus by people throughout the country".

Where are you getting your information?

post #796 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Hugh.
I didn't mean to sound confrontational.
I was getting the impression you were elected to speak for the majority.
I had both D*TV & TW.
My experience was DTV has the advantage over TW on SD channels only when you compare an analog TW channel to the equal (digital) DTV channel.
PS The 3510 digital out issue is real. Maybe a compatibility issue with the Pioneer 49TXi flagship AV rcvr. Who know? TW sure doesn't.
Pending resolution of this issue I will be a happy camper.

I wish like hell we could figure this out. If I don't lower the volume before changing channels the resulting crack and pop is one day going to fry my speakers. It isn't your receiver because it does it with mine (Denon 4802).

Rodney
post #797 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

No problem. I tend to get carried away on occassion. I get all my info from non-forum sources and do a ton of research by email directly with people in the business and in personal contact at industry meetings. When the issue of the 3510 came up I could not find a single person outside of this thread who have had a similar problem. I would never had commented on DirecTV vs Cable if I had not been hearing about the problem for years.

The End.

Hugh Campbell
post #798 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

James Snyder who is a PBS engineer and one of the most knowledgeable people I have run across when it comes to video and High Definition has the following to say:

"DirecTV transmits all of its HD channels with the resolution decreased to 1440 x 1080. The bitrate is dynamically allocated.

Dish's HD tends to compress their HD more, but they transmit at 1920 x 1080. The data rates are dynamically allocated, depending on the compression rate needed and the satellite transponder's available total data rate.

CBS transmits and encodes at 1920 x 1080 at 45 Mbps for transmission to stations, and their VTRs are HD-D5s, so they can reproduce full resolution 1920 x 1080 using only 4:1 compression with a recording data rate of 360 Mbps.

NBC transmits and encodes 1920 x 1080 at 45 Mbps for transmission to stations, but the equipment in Burbank they use for the Tonight Show is Sony. Sony's HDCAM VTRs (which many stations and post-production facilities use) only records 1440 x 1080, and has a much lower data rate of about 145 Mbps.

PBS transmits and encodes at 1920 x 1080 at 19.39 for transmission to stations, uses HD-D5s for on-air play, but many member stations produce using Sony HDCAM's which only reproduce 1440 x 1080.

ABC transmits and encodes at 1280 x 720 @ 60fps with 45 Mbps for transmission to stations. They use mostly HD-D5s for production and play-to-air.

I stayed away from describing cable because there are so many permutations spread between so many different cable systems around the country that it would have made the email three times longer and I probably wouldn't haven't gotten everything correct even then.

As a rule, I think you are probably right that OTA HD is best, cable second and DirecTV third."

Hugh Campbell
post #799 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hugh Is correct. So what you think is HD may not be in reality.
I spoke with a local Sony service tech recently..he says he is getting a tremendous amount of compliants from big screen HD set owners about poor picture quality. He says virtually all of the viewers are on DirecTv or cable. He explained that he as well as the viewers don't see
the artifacts when viewing OTA. He mentioned that sony has a software
update to "soften" the picture on certain sets to reduce the complaints.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #800 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 PM

On the popping and crackling when changing channels. I have it on my Family Room TV with a Panny receiver. My brother has it, in New York, on his Sonny. The crazy thing is...In my theater room with a Pio 45tx and external amps, we do not have it???

- Scott
post #801 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

shine5555,
it IS very frustrating.
I blew a tweeter on a 175-lb speaker, had to crate it up, haul it to the Charlotte Tweeter store, ship it to Atlanta for repair, whine, whine, whine
all because I can't get help or answers from TW regarding the 3510-crackle-when-changing-channels-via-digital-out-issue....although they acknowledge it IS an issue.
Still hoping.....and avoiding DTV.
post #802 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

shine5555,
it IS very frustrating.
I blew a tweeter on a 175-lb speaker, had to crate it up, haul it to the Charlotte Tweeter store, ship it to Atlanta for repair, whine, whine, whine
all because I can't get help or answers from TW regarding the 3510-crackle-when-changing-channels-via-digital-out-issue....although they acknowledge it IS an issue.

Arrrggghhh! I'm over driving my speakers as it is. Another thing that we haven't talked about is the fact that my father-in-law, who has DTV, smartly says "MINE" doesn't do that. I'm always touting TWC and bashing DTV. TWC fix this!!! Egg on my face in front of the father-in-law sucks!!!

Rodney
post #803 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

shine5555,
it IS very frustrating.

Are you saying it only happens when using the audio digital out connection, and if so have you tried using the analog out connections?

Hugh Campbell
post #804 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HughScot
Are you saying it only happens when using the audio digital out connection, and if so have you tried using the analog out connections?

Digital only. Just to be sure I will change it around this weekend. What is really odd is it doesn't do it all the time. 75% I guess...

Rodney
post #805 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Digital-audio problem only. No problem on analog.
Easy to verify & repeat.
post #806 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Digital-audio problem only. No problem on analog.
Easy to verify, repeatedly.

Does your system do it all the time? Mine on occasion will switch normally.

Rodney
post #807 of 7963 Old 02-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Pretty much all the time.
But yes, rarely it will change channels normally once...then it's doing it again going to the next channel.
Also, it only occurs on the digital channels.
Never a problem on the low # analog channels.
I put all the HD channels on Favorites...then hitting the Favorite button will toggle between the HD channels (all digital)..which makes the problem unbearable.
post #808 of 7963 Old 02-20-2004, 10:16 AM

Yes same here...Digital-audio problem only. That is again only in the Family room. Seems about 80% of the time

Like I said before, I do not have this problem at all in the theater room????

My brother has the same problem in New York (Rochester)
post #809 of 7963 Old 02-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Are you saying you have two 3510 boxes in the same house and one has the problem and the other doesn't?
Both connected via digital audio out?
post #810 of 7963 Old 02-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pretty much all the time.
But yes, rarely it will change channels normally once...then it's doing it again going to the next channel.
Also, it only occurs on the digital channels.
Never a problem on the low # analog channels.
I put all the HD channels on Favorites...then hitting the Favorite button will toggle between the HD channels (all digital)..which makes the problem unbearable.

Same situation here digital channels only and I did the same with the favorites.

shine5555 how much for the box that doesn't have the problem!!

Rodney
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page