Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #811 of 7936 Old 02-20-2004, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes same here...Digital-audio problem only. That is again only in the Family room. Seems about 80% of the time

What happens when you swap boxes?
Does the problem follow the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 7936 Old 02-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The 3510 audio problem hit me today. I not only have the snap crackle and pop problem but also no audio on the HD channels. I noticed on my Denon 4802 that when it first started I was getting some info I've never seen before and it disappeared so quickly I couldn't remember what it was. It appears that the "info" being sent from the box to my receiver is faulty. I'm sure there is a technical explanation but it is all greek to me. No audio at all is a serious problem on these channels. Does anyone else have this problem with no audio in addition to the noise?

Hugh Campbell
post #813 of 7936 Old 02-22-2004, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Finally moved my Pioneer from the test bench and installed it in the rack
yesterday.. I notice no audio problems..no pops or anything that would
be objectionable using the digital out to my Yamaha receiver. There are some broken audio frames at times, but nothing as objectionable as others describe here. Since I have quite a bit of experience with the yamaha and switching modes on the fly, I tend to think the pioneer's digital output tends to be somewhat dirty at times, (and that coupled with specific DD decoders that don't properly mute during stream changes) may cause objectionable artifacts...YMMV..
I'll keep watching er..listening..and see what happens..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #814 of 7936 Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Finally moved my Pioneer from the test bench and installed it in the rack
yesterday.. I notice no audio problems..no pops or anything that would
be objectionable using the digital out to my Yamaha receiver. There are some broken audio frames at times, but nothing as objectionable as others describe here. Since I have quite a bit of experience with the yamaha and switching modes on the fly, I tend to think the pioneer's digital output tends to be somewhat dirty at times, (and that coupled with specific DD decoders that don't properly mute during stream changes) may cause objectionable artifacts...YMMV..
I'll keep watching er..listening..and see what happens..

I may be wrong but I think time in service has something to do with it. I used to only turn my 3510 Pioneer on when I couldn't watch it OTA, then recently with the addition of HDnet and INHD I have been using it for most of my TV watching. And the problem is intermittent as heck. I just pulled out the digital coax and everything is fine with the analog cables. I'll take the box back tomorrow and see if I can get a "new" one that hasn't been used.

Hugh Campbell
post #815 of 7936 Old 02-22-2004, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok..I might add that I noticed that some channels are in DD 2.0, while others are in DD 5.1..this can explain why some channels do it at some times and not others, as the programs constantly change modes.
Again, some DD decoders do not handle the switch cleanly between DD 2.0 and DD5.1. The unit's cost has no bearing on this, it's how clean the code is.
Anyhoo, I plan to bring my Dolby DM100 Test set home one night this week, I can then look at the output of the Pioneer and see what is occurring when the switch is made. Since We've worked closely with the Dolby engineers on 5.1 for FOX, I know who to call once I've looked at the output of the Pioneer.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #816 of 7936 Old 02-23-2004, 05:40 AM

More anecdotal data for the thread, YMMV:

3510HD hooked up digitial audio only to a Yamaha RX-V1 - no audio problems as described above. All HD channels on favorites.

3510HD hooked up analog only to a Sony Dream System 700 - no audio problems as described above. No way to test digital audio since STB is coax and receiver's only input is toslink - arrrgh!
post #817 of 7936 Old 02-23-2004, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ericwe
receiver's only input is toslink - arrrgh!

Easily converted..

www.mcmelectronics.com.. convertor p/n 24-4440...$19 with ac adaptor..

or go to the guitar center..get a FOSTEX COP-1 or a Midiman CO2..about
$80..

Bob

post #818 of 7936 Old 02-23-2004, 11:00 AM

For the past week or so (since the last bad weather period), I have hardly been able to pick up WBTV's HD digital feed with my rooftop antenna. Is anybody else having any trouble with their signal? If not, maybe the storm damaged my antenna. I guess part of the problem is that I'm 83 miles from their tower...just wondering!
post #819 of 7936 Old 02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by herrfish1
For the past week or so (since the last bad weather period), I have hardly been able to pick up WBTV's HD digital feed with my rooftop antenna. Is anybody else having any trouble with their signal? If not, maybe the storm damaged my antenna. I guess part of the problem is that I'm 83 miles from their tower...just wondering!

I'm getting 75%-81% at this moment, which I think is typical for me, so that would lead me to think that nothing has changed from the transmitter perspective.

You can check the Charlotte OTA thread for some historical values. But like I said, I think the signal is the same. Maybe something on your roof is wet or shaken loose with the wind.

--Dale--
post #820 of 7936 Old 02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

bdfox18doe,
any success with the 3510 audio problem?
keep us posted!
post #821 of 7936 Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Re the 3510 digital audio problem, now that I have the problem I've been listening via analog cables and since we are only talking about TV audio I don't really hear that much difference. Since I can't go back and forth it's hard to tell for sure. But not a tremendous difference.

Hugh Campbell
post #822 of 7936 Old 02-25-2004, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

The difference is you totally lose 5.1 surround sound.
2.0 v/s 5.1....you are easier to please than i am for $75.00 a month.
TW should not advertise surround sound if they can't deliver it in a reasonable manner.
rant complete
Come on TW, where are you on this?
post #823 of 7936 Old 02-25-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

cajun, due to work and some family commitments haven't had a chance to
delve into it as I want to. I have spoken with the local TWC engineers a
bit about the problem. I'll let you know what I find.

Bob

post #824 of 7936 Old 02-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

sengsational:
Experience from Asheville NC:
Did you get more than one response to your question about signal?
Three nights ago, I had a very bad night for all channels--ranging from occasional pixelization on channels that I never have problems, to total outage. Normally, I receive all but one area station on a CM 4-bay, coupled with a Channel 9 Yagi for Greenville SCETV. As a backup and under normal circumstances, I must use a large all-band on a rotor in the attic for WLOS DT on Mt. Pisgah. On the bad night -- first night of the new weather front -- I just could not find a decent signal from the seven local stations...with signal up and down and fading completly at times. Even channels that range from 88 to 100 were problems.
Very strange, but back to normal now.

JB - Asheville

post #825 of 7936 Old 02-25-2004, 02:25 PM

I'm in Charlotte and I have the Pioneer box with DVI.

My question is what does DVI do differently than the component output? I've found that when using DVI I get a bit of a lag and a little flash of color when I change channels. And for some reason, when viewing WSOC via DVI my TV (Tosh 42H83) will not let me change aspect ratio. Also the box will not let me change output modes when using DVI.

For the record, my DVI cable is actually a computer DVI-D cable that came with my monitor. Seems to work. Other than the above of course.
post #826 of 7936 Old 02-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Receiver Problems:
My Samsung TS 160 has suddenly gone into the "Installation" mode many times in the past month or so, and downloads program data for about 90 seconds. I never associated it any particular channel until today. After receiving a replacement receiver, it did the same thing three times within the first 20 minutes of operation. I was using 33-1 (WUNF-DT) for setup. It was then I realized that while recording 33-1 a couple of weeks ago the recording was interrupted with the "installation" mode.
Today, Wayne Estabrooks confirmed he has had problems not receiving data on his TS-165, but has never experienced the "installation" interruption. He has sent an email to the engineers responsible for the PSIP programming and is checking on the possibility of a problem.
(Samsung also reports that other stations has had problems with the PSIP causing reception problems with Samsung receivers.)

Any other similar experience?

JB - Asheville

post #827 of 7936 Old 02-26-2004, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to say, that "S" ALWAYS says it's the "station" despite other receivers sitting side by side who do not display the same problem. Even if the station is having PSIP issues, receivers should be more tolerable of such problems. IMHO, Sammy is about 90% complete to having really good
receivers.

Bob

post #828 of 7936 Old 02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

As a long time owner of the Samsung 165 I would have to say that Bob is correct. It has many idiosyncrasies that just pop up now and then all by itself, including turning itself off. I can live with it to tape a few shows each week but that is about it. I got one of the first ones when the model first came out so they may have corrected some of the problems.

Hugh Campbell
post #829 of 7936 Old 02-26-2004, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

Anybody else notice that 36-1 and 36-2 are missing from the program guide? I have a Hughes E-86. The other day I was surfin' the guide and see that CT-36 was there and 36-1 and 2 were missing. 6-1 and 2 are on the guide.

I did a local scan with the same results.

I know Belo wants us to think that WCNC is on channel 6 but DirecTV puts it on channel on 36. I want the OTA digital channels to be next to the channel on D*. If D* had WCNC as 6 I would be OK with the OTA channels as 6-1 and 2.

Does this make sense?

c123
post #830 of 7936 Old 02-27-2004, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Same thing with the Samsung TS-160. It used to be re-mapped to 36-1 to match up with CT36 (D* Feed). I'm assuming the change must be outside the box/software, maybe in the PSIP data. I scanned, changed the zip then changed back, etc....still not fixed.

Guess we have to wait and see if it is corrected externally. Unless someone has something else we can try.
post #831 of 7936 Old 03-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

3510 Update,
TW Charlotte tech/eng discussed the 3510 at length this am.
He says:
1. The digital audio stream switching between 2.0, 3.0 or 5.1 etc is the cause of the crackle-pop-via-digital-audio-out-during-channel-changing-issue.
2. The Receiver (Pioneer49TXi in my case) is the culprit since it should sense the change, mute, resync to signal change and unmute.
3. He did not know if anyone at TW actually analyzed the digital stream to pinpoint or verify the theory/reason. (sounds plausible though)
4. Based on complaint numbers TW thinks only a minority of receivers have the problem.
5. Most distressing is, TW will do nothing to alleviate affected users since they don't have enough complaints.
To his credit and if his theory is correct they may not be able to do anything to help the rcvrs.

IMHO, Seems like a mute signal could be passed immediately prior to channel-change to help....

anyone tried D*tv's HDtv?
I am now considering it.

I refuse to let TW destroy my audio investment if someone accidentally forgets that changing channels requires they:
mute rcvr
change channel
unmute rcvr
then if sound is gone pwr down TW box &
repower it to force a resynch.

PS Pioneer phone support was less informative.
At this point there are 3 options:
A. convince everyone with the problem to raise h*ll till TW deems it worthy to addresss
OR
B. switch to D*Tv.
OR
C. buy new rcvr & change model & brand till you get one that doesn't do it.

Oh, well...
post #832 of 7936 Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

My 3510 fixed itself and I have zero problems, no noise when I change channels and the audio is fine. All I did was unhook the coax connection and then reconnect.

Hugh Campbell
post #833 of 7936 Old 03-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunlab
3510 Update,
TW Charlotte tech/eng discussed the 3510 at length this am.
He says:
1. The digital audio stream switching between 2.0, 3.0 or 5.1 etc is the cause of the crackle-pop-via-digital-audio-out-during-channel-changing-issue.
2. The Receiver (Pioneer49TXi in my case) is the culprit since it should sense the change, mute, resync to signal change and unmute.
3. He did not know if anyone at TW actually analyzed the digital stream to pinpoint or verify the theory/reason. (sounds plausible though)
4. Based on complaint numbers TW thinks only a minority of receivers have the problem.
5. Most distressing is, TW will do nothing to alleviate affected users since they don't have enough complaints.
To his credit and if his theory is correct they may not be able to do anything to help the rcvrs.

IMHO, Seems like a mute signal could be passed immediately prior to channel-change to help....

anyone tried D*tv's HDtv?
I am now considering it.

I refuse to let TW destroy my audio investment if someone accidentally forgets that changing channels requires they:
mute rcvr
change channel
unmute rcvr
then if sound is gone pwr down TW box &
repower it to force a resynch.

PS Pioneer phone support was less informative.
At this point there are 3 options:
A. convince everyone with the problem to raise h*ll till TW deems it worthy to addresss
OR
B. switch to D*Tv.
OR
C. buy new rcvr & change model & brand till you get one that doesn't do it.

Oh, well...

I guess I will wait for the DVR box. If it does the same then I will have to switch to DTV. I want to buy new speakers but not until this problem is fixed.

Hugh, I doubt reconnecting the coax will be a permanent fix.

This response from TWC pretty much sums up my problem with them. I'm tired of the standard "It must be your equipment causing the problem."

I know my Denon 4802 is not the best on the market but it's very near the top for mid level surround receivers and other users of this receiver do not have the problems I have. Only TW users have this problem.

Eventually this will bite them in the behind. As more people get HDTV more people will report the problem. Us early adopters just have to suffer.

Thanks for the customer support TW.

Rodney
post #834 of 7936 Old 03-03-2004, 04:10 AM

Is there any update on the rollout of HD DVRs in Charlote?
post #835 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 06:00 AM

They are being tested currently but are waiting on some fixes from SA before rollout.
post #836 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sccofer
They are being tested currently but are waiting on some fixes from SA before rollout.

Do you mean the Pioneer or SA, since we have been told that Charlotte will be using the Pioneer model and not the SA8000HD which is already available in SC?

Hugh Campbell
post #837 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well after a 48-hour "cooling off" period I am not very cooled off.
Brought more receivers in to test....they all did it.
So it MUST be a Time Warner issue....

The Pioneer 3510 TimeWarner box has issues with the digital audio out, PERIOD.
It also appears to be location sensitive since my rcvr did not do it at another location.

Also the info I previously posted came from the "Installation Supervisor" not an engineer.

Getting them out of denial isn't very easy!
post #838 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 04:31 PM

Just an FYI, YMMV:

I've had the 3510HD connected to both a Yamaha RX-V1 and a Yamaha RX-V596 via digital coax audio connectors and do not have the popping issue on either one.

If there is some audio setting you want me to check/verify, let me know what it is and where in the STB's menu it is located.
post #839 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 04:35 PM

Does anyone here in Charlotte have Voom installed yet?

I'm wondering if the local channel HDTV reception in this area is any good with the equipment (STB + Ant) they install?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, E.
post #840 of 7936 Old 03-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ericwe
Just an FYI, YMMV:

I've had the 3510HD connected to both a Yamaha RX-V1 and a Yamaha RX-V596 via digital coax audio connectors and do not have the popping issue on either one.

If there is some audio setting you want me to check/verify, let me know what it is and where in the STB's menu it is located.

Most people do not have a problem with the 3510 and until last week I didn't but it came and went all in two days. There is a clitch in the box of some nature but no one seems to have a clue. Mine started on the only day I had the box turned on for a very long period of time so maybe it is heat related or maybe not. Except for that one time mine has worked flawlessly and with the new HD PVR box coming soon I'll just wait.

Hugh Campbell
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page