Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #8461 of 8484 Old 05-08-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm on the west side of Salisbury. Keep having problems with certain channels like DIY & Velocity giving the not available, try again later message. After about 11:00 pm everything seems to clear up. If I try to search I get a not available now msg, but it too clears up late at night. Rebooted both DVR's and no help, appears to be a SDV problem. Anyone else having this type of problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Charter-TWC merger has been approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. The deal is expected to close next week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ornia-approval
post #8463 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
The Charter-TWC merger has been approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. The deal is expected to close next week
Don't know whether to rejoice or cry...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8464 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it is what it is... I'm just gonna make the best of it and go along for the ride.
post #8465 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, it is what it is... I'm just gonna make the best of it and go along for the ride.
I'm more concerned about the good people ..especially in tech..that I know who work there, hope they are still around in the end.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8466 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Yeah, at some point, some of the headend functions now handled by Boone, Hickory, Asheville, Greenville, and other places will likely end up being transferred to the big TWC headend if Charter decides to follow TWC's lead in this respect, which would likely end up in layoffs for the "old Charter" folks.. And there are "old Charter" customer service and line tech people who might find themselves redundant if that work moves to Charlotte or wherever.

There will still be Charter folks in the high country and upstate, but perhaps mainly those who interact with the public ranther than the behind-the-scenes people who keep things running.
post #8467 of 8484 Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Does Time Warner carry SBN as a separate channel? Then there would be no need to simulcast 55.3 in SD. I know Charter carries SBN in HD and SD, but not the OTA version from 16.3. I get SBN on both 16.3 and 55.3 and Jimmy Swaggart still has good gospel music.

TWC in Charlotte doesn't have a separate SBN channel, they only had 55.3.

Interesting that it has been over a month and they still haven't corrected this.
post #8468 of 8484 Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I'm more concerned about the good people ..especially in tech..that I know who work there, hope they are still around in the end.
Nah... Nothing like that could EVER happen!

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6
post #8469 of 8484 Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Yeah, at some point, some of the headend functions now handled by Boone, Hickory, Asheville, Greenville, and other places will likely end up being transferred to the big TWC headend if Charter decides to follow TWC's lead in this respect, which would likely end up in layoffs for the "old Charter" folks.. And there are "old Charter" customer service and line tech people who might find themselves redundant if that work moves to Charlotte or wherever.

There will still be Charter folks in the high country and upstate, but perhaps mainly those who interact with the public rather than the behind-the-scenes people who keep things running.
Based on a CNN article this morning it appears that Charter is going to use their arrangement. It says that they will be converting Time Warner digital markets to "Spectrum" offerings, packages, etc. It will be interesting to see how this works out as Charter currently only offers two internet packages... a 60mb package and a 100mb package. Time Warner currently has 300mb service in some areas?

I'm also curious how/when Charter will combine the Time Warner channels into the Charter systems. Time Warner offers a *few* HD channels Charter currently doesn't, and carries their owned TWC channels nationwide. Locally TWC customers have Time Warner Cable News, Time Warner Cable Sportschannel (and their Panthers programming), and a simulcast of NY1 from NYC. I wonder in our area if Charter customers will get access to those channels eventually.
post #8470 of 8484 Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 AM

TWC in Gastonia also carries the channels run by Gaston County government and school system; Charter customers in Gaston County get instead a single channel run by Catawba County and the cities of Hickory, Newton, and Conover, with only a few hours on Monday nights available to Gaston County for tape-delayed broadcasts of county commission meetings.
post #8471 of 8484 Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 AM

There's also the matter of which cable system to keep in Dallas, High Shoals, and vicinity, as there's a bit of overlap in Dallas where TWC had overbuilt in Charter territory in a few places (Dallas-Cherryville Hwy. at Gaston Square Dr., Robinson-Clemmer Rd. at Alder Ridge subdivision, and Mays Rd., just off Lower Dallas Hwy.)
post #8472 of 8484 Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have TWC here in Matthews and Charter Spectrum service at the beach near Wilmington. The TWC offerings trump Charter's service in just about every way imaginable...
  • Channel offerings - Charter has a few channels in HD that TWC still has in SD, but TWC has many channels that Charter does not offer at all
  • Channel lineup - the Charter lineup is a discombobulated hot mess
  • Guide - Not even sure what guide/GUI Charter is using, but it's low-res 4:3, ugly as sin and a PITA to use.
  • On-Demand - What Charter offers is a mere shadow of what TWC offers, and much of it is still in SD
  • STBs - I can only compare what I have, but the standard non-DVR Arris boxes we have from Charter are terrible compared to the non-DVR Samsungs I have here. They have no clock and do not reliably reboot after losing power. I do not have a DVR box from Charter so I have nothing to comment on in comparison to my TWC DVR.
  • TV on any device - The Charter Roku and Android apps for watching live TV are awful in comparison to TWC's apps. SIGNIFICANTLY fewer channels are available and there is no on-demand offered. A Roku running the TWC app is a decent alternative to renting another STB for little used rooms and includes nearly all channels including locals and on-demand. The Charter app has a handful of cherry picked networks, no locals and no on-demand.
  • Internet - Charter 60Mbs service has been reliable and generally indistinguishable from the 100Mbs service I have in Charlotte, but they offer significantly fewer options for service speed and price points. Charter does not support nor discount for customer-owned modems.

Last edited by jcalabria; 05-18-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #8473 of 8484 Old 05-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Time will tell... hopefully Charter will pick up some of TWC's better stuff and make them available in "old Charter" areas.

TWC had Charter beat on channel availability, DVR guide, and on-demand and mobile offerings. Local channels are available on the Spectrum app in a few areas, but not in the Hickory area. The big push to make local channels available on the app came in late 2014 and early 2015, when Comcast was trying to merge with TWC. The Hickory area was passed over most likely due to the systems in the area being slated to be transferred to Comcast.

The TWC channel lineups leave room for new channels to be assigned numbers in the correct range for their genre, unlike Charter, which has international channels (other than Spanish-language) scattered in several places (SD channels in the upper 200s and in the 400s, one HD channel at 801, the other HD's in the 880s and 890s), while TWC's international channels are all in the 1400-1699 block. Charter has SD local subchannels scattered about in the 150-199 range, while TWC has all the local channels neatly bundled up in the 1200-1399 block.

Last edited by blackcap93; 05-18-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #8474 of 8484 Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have a list of the stations in the Charlotte area that switched video ?
post #8475 of 8484 Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Anyone have a list of the stations in the Charlotte area that switched video ?
See attached list. This was as of 6/19 in Matthews, checked manually channel by channel. HD version checked if both HD/SD available. It's possible that not all SDV groups (areas) are configured the same. I know that up until quite recently Velocity was switched but is now linear, at least here in my area. I may actually be responsible for that because Velocity is my "background noise" channel and is almost always on here, including overnight. No sense it being SDV if I'm always keeping the connection open. All it takes is one viewer to render SDV irrelevant for a channel in a given area.

Anything that is viewable via a DTA will be linear, as the DTAs do not support SDV. This is why a few channels on the DTAs are (or have been) SD when you would think they would be HD. The Weather Channel was an example of this... it had been SDV and was available as SD only via the DTA because of this. Just like Velocity was recently changed to linear carriage, so has The Weather Channel, and is now available in HD on a DTA.

Quote:
I'm on the west side of Salisbury. Keep having problems with certain channels like DIY & Velocity giving the not available, try again later message. After about 11:00 pm everything seems to clear up. If I try to search I get a not available now msg, but it too clears up late at night. Rebooted both DVR's and no help, appears to be a SDV problem. Anyone else having this type of problem ?
Are you still having SDV troubles? (I'm guessing so if you asked for a list.) Clearing up after 11pm could mean at least two different issues. If your SDV group is not well provisioned, there may be insufficient SDV slots to load up a channel until people start going to bed and turning off their TVs and releasing SDV slots. The other possibility is that you have return path signal issues and the cooler temperatures (which reduce passive cable loss) as the evening progresses allow your SDV requests to finally make it back to the controller. Have you checked your box's upstream levels? If they are very high this could be an issue.

SDV has been remarkably reliable here. My only issues have been with my WMC/HDHR CableCard setups due to the Cisco SDV tuning adaptors regularly locking up after about 45 days continuous operation. I put them on timers to automatically power-cycle them once a week and that problem was solved. My return levels are quite high but not maxed out other than in extremely hot (>100°) weather. I know that neither SDV nor my cable modem would work at all here in any weather if I didn't have a drop amplifier with an active return path.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TWC_CLT_SDV.pdf (60.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by jcalabria; 06-21-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #8476 of 8484 Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
See attached list. This was as of 6/19 in Matthews, checked manually channel by channel. HD version checked if both HD/SD available. It's possible that not all SDV groups (areas) are configured the same. I know that up until quite recently Velocity was switched but is now linear, at least here in my area. I may actually be responsible for that because Velocity is my "background noise" channel and is almost always on here, including overnight. No sense it being SDV if I'm always keeping the connection open. All it takes is one viewer to render SDV irrelevant for a channel in a given area.

Anything that is viewable via a DTA will be linear, as the DTAs do not support SDV. This is why a few channels on the DTAs are (or have been) SD when you would think they would be HD. The Weather Channel was an example of this... it had been SDV and was available as SD only via the DTA because of this. Just like Velocity was recently changed to linear carriage, so has The Weather Channel, and is now available in HD on a DTA.

Are you still having SDV troubles? (I'm guessing so if you asked for a list.) Clearing up after 11pm could mean at least two different issues. If your SDV group is not well provisioned, there may be insufficient SDV slots to load up a channel until people start going to bed and turning off their TVs and releasing SDV slots. The other possibility is that you have return path signal issues and the cooler temperatures (which reduce passive cable loss) as the evening progresses allow your SDV requests to finally make it back to the controller. Have you checked your box's upstream levels? If they are very high this could be an issue.

SDV has been remarkably reliable here. My only issues have been with my WMC/HDHR CableCard setups due to the Cisco SDV tuning adaptors regularly locking up after about 45 days continuous operation. I put them on timers to automatically power-cycle them once a week and that problem was solved. My return levels are quite high but not maxed out other than in extremely hot (>100°) weather. I know that neither SDV nor my cable modem would work at all here in any weather if I didn't have a drop amplifier with an active return path.
Thanks for the PDF, how did you determine that a channel was SDV ?
I had signature home with the 2 DVR's and 2 DTAs. Dropped the sig, turned in all the equipment and got a 6 tunner DVR. Replaced the 3 bedroom devices with Roku Sticks (on sale now for $39) with TWC app and watch live tv via the app. Saving $40 a month and even keeping phone and 300 Internet. App much better than the DTA.
SDV problems seem to have cleared up. With the previous setup if a got SDV message I would change over to my Roku 4 and watch via TWC app.
Can't let you take all the credit for velocity change 😁, it's on or recording 90% of the time here.
post #8477 of 8484 Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Thanks for the PDF, how did you determine that a channel was SDV ?
I checked two ways. Primarily, I used my HDHR-CC's diagnostic web page. It has no direct indication of SDV status, but single digit program IDs indicate linear and 4-digit program IDs indicate SDV. I also cross checked many channels against my Cisco DVR's ODN diagnostics, which have an SDV page that directly shows "SDV" or "non-SDV" for each tuner's current channel. You can step through channels while in the diagnostics, so it's pretty quick to run through everything.

We have a little bit of everything going on here in the way of tuning devices... TWC DVR, STBs & DTAs, WMC PCs, Rokus and XBOX 360s (both as WMC extender and using TWC app). DTAs are definitely least favorite and are being replaced with Rokus as the GUI and PQ improve on the TWC Roku app. Given how bad the Charter Roku app is, I'm a bit concerned to see how that plays out going forward.

What we use really depends on the user and usage in any given room... my wife pretty much refuses to use anything but a full TWC STB or DVR. I'm quite adaptable but prefer WMC in my primary viewing locations and Roku for occasional use locations. My daughter used a WMC PC in the bonus room and a DTA in her bedroom, but she's recently moved out and neither are currently in use at the moment (DTA going back to TW). TWCs XBOX app has great PQ but the GUI isn't so great. XBOX as a WMC extender was pretty much a disaster here. I used to use WMC on laptops to watch TV out on the deck, but have been using the TWC Android app on a 10" tablet recently.

Last edited by jcalabria; 06-21-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #8478 of 8484 Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post
TWC in Charlotte doesn't have a separate SBN channel, they only had 55.3.

Interesting that it has been over a month and they still haven't corrected this.

I guess they're not going to fix this.
post #8479 of 8484 Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well THIS is certainly interesting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	35
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1543313  
post #8480 of 8484 Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post
No change here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1543321  
post #8481 of 8484 Old 07-13-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
But this is interesting. Big hole from 500 to 550 that was not there before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1543329  
post #8482 of 8484 Old 07-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
But this is interesting. Big hole from 500 to 550 that was not there before.
I've got the same hole.

Modem rebooted on 7/12/16 @ 2amish.
post #8483 of 8484 Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I've got the same hole.

Modem rebooted on 7/12/16 @ 2amish.
I spoke with a maintenance tech today and he gave me the info on the notch. TWC is opening up more space in the spectrum so they can go to 32 channels downstream in order to compete with Google and AT&T on speed.
post #8484 of 8484 Old Today, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
I spoke with a maintenance tech today and he gave me the info on the notch. TWC is opening up more space in the spectrum so they can go to 32 channels downstream in order to compete with Google and AT&T on speed.
I'd buy that for $1.

But the trick is, how much longer after going to 32 channel support before they go to D3.1 support? Do I buy a SB6190 this year only to buy a SB8200 next year? I'd rather not have to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception