Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #8491 of 8503 Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccurrytech View Post
If they kill promos and retention offers, they could lose 25%+ of customers and still make more than they do now. Plus, they know Google and AT&T aren't going to deploy fiber everywhere in their footprint. Charter appears to be ready to "count their loses" while dragging their feet in terms of upgrades.

The day they downgrade my speed and increase my prices will be the day I move to an apartment in Charlotte that has Google Fiber.
Charlotte, Columbia and the surrounding areas have the new CASA CMTS units so they ready for an all IP Docsis platform, the last ones to be completed was the Laurinburg, Darlington, and Florence hubs. Florence is an old Vision cable system and is being upgraded now in the OSP.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8503 Old 08-12-2016, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Charlotte, Columbia and the surrounding areas have the new CASA CMTS units so they ready for an all IP Docsis platform, the last ones to be completed was the Laurinburg, Darlington, and Florence hubs. Florence is an old Vision cable system and is being upgraded now in the OSP.
Well it looks like they are killing the retention offers. They just raised my rate taking away one of the smaller discounts after only 6 months. While we enjoyed the free speed bump from 17 to 60mbps there has been a whole summer of down and up connections. They replaced coax both outside and inside the house I've been told but the problem went away when they replaced the recently installed cable modem. They also informed me they charge extra for WiFi so I told them to disable it and I would use my own router.

After all this I looked at my bill and found they had charged me $50 to make the repairs. I managed to get them to take that off the bill but they wouldn't give me the discount again even though they said the month before they would reinstate it. My issue isn't so much the taking away of the small discount, as much as I wonder what they will raise the price to next January, when we usually do our yearly negotiations. Last January I was able to talk them down from $170 a month for Standard TV-Standard Internet-Phone, to 141.61. The new rate is only a few dollars more but at some point I feel the need to say stop.

It might be a good idea or the dumbest thing I've done lately but AT&T will be at my house to install U-Verse in about a week. There is a fiber hut about a half mile away so I won't get as fast a connection, it will be back down to the 18mbps I had before the TWC speed increase. A couple of years ago they dug up the phone lines to remove the old coils they once had to use for the POTS lines. So will see how it works over old copper.

I've had TWC for internet since 2001 and the TV-internet-phone bundle since 2012. I know they need to make money but I'm tired of the service problems and rate increases.

A long time ago probably more than 10 years ago I was in one of the underground BellSouth facilities that is on Independence near Margret Wallace. They had fiber out there then so it's my hope that AT&T will wake up and install more fiber in the neighborhoods. I'm probably dreaming but I read an article that said financially AT&T is in a better position to offer fiber than Google. Time will tell and Google is taking way too long.
post #8493 of 8503 Old 08-15-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
Well it looks like they are killing the retention offers. They just raised my rate taking away one of the smaller discounts after only 6 months. While we enjoyed the free speed bump from 17 to 60mbps there has been a whole summer of down and up connections. They replaced coax both outside and inside the house I've been told but the problem went away when they replaced the recently installed cable modem. They also informed me they charge extra for WiFi so I told them to disable it and I would use my own router.

After all this I looked at my bill and found they had charged me $50 to make the repairs. I managed to get them to take that off the bill but they wouldn't give me the discount again even though they said the month before they would reinstate it. My issue isn't so much the taking away of the small discount, as much as I wonder what they will raise the price to next January, when we usually do our yearly negotiations. Last January I was able to talk them down from $170 a month for Standard TV-Standard Internet-Phone, to 141.61. The new rate is only a few dollars more but at some point I feel the need to say stop.

It might be a good idea or the dumbest thing I've done lately but AT&T will be at my house to install U-Verse in about a week. There is a fiber hut about a half mile away so I won't get as fast a connection, it will be back down to the 18mbps I had before the TWC speed increase. A couple of years ago they dug up the phone lines to remove the old coils they once had to use for the POTS lines. So will see how it works over old copper.

I've had TWC for internet since 2001 and the TV-internet-phone bundle since 2012. I know they need to make money but I'm tired of the service problems and rate increases.

A long time ago probably more than 10 years ago I was in one of the underground BellSouth facilities that is on Independence near Margret Wallace. They had fiber out there then so it's my hope that AT&T will wake up and install more fiber in the neighborhoods. I'm probably dreaming but I read an article that said financially AT&T is in a better position to offer fiber than Google. Time will tell and Google is taking way too long.
AT&T is installing fiber on my street off Carmel near Johnston.
W4DXL likes this.
post #8494 of 8503 Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 PM

Decided to wait for Gigapower or Google Fiber. Plan to switch cancelled. Might be a long wait!
post #8495 of 8503 Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AT&T seems to be pulling fiber down all the residential streets throughout Huntersville. They came down my street last month. They are continuing several streets over now. We have buried cable here, and now there is junction box (looks like a water meter box) buried on the property line that apparently will serves two houses. There is one every other property line.

No word when it will be turned on. Their contractors did manage to cut TWC's cables on two different days on this street, and they broke a water line. So no internet and water while they were here. Wonder how common this is?

I have no issue with TWC's very good service, upgraded to Maxx last year, but it will be interesting to see what AT&T offers to try and lure away customers. I'm guessing that AT&T no has almost no customers now on this street as I don't know anyone with a real POTs telephone anymore, and they only offer 3M DSL here now.
post #8496 of 8503 Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat7 View Post
AT&T seems to be pulling fiber down all the residential streets throughout Huntersville. They came down my street last month. They are continuing several streets over now. We have buried cable here, and now there is junction box (looks like a water meter box) buried on the property line that apparently will serves two houses. There is one every other property line.

No word when it will be turned on. Their contractors did manage to cut TWC's cables on two different days on this street, and they broke a water line. So no internet and water while they were here. Wonder how common this is?

I have no issue with TWC's very good service, upgraded to Maxx last year, but it will be interesting to see what AT&T offers to try and lure away customers. I'm guessing that AT&T no has almost no customers now on this street as I don't know anyone with a real POTs telephone anymore, and they only offer 3M DSL here now.
It's available in my area and the promotion is $70.00 per month for 1Gbps currently. Plus Data caps....

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8497 of 8503 Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I checked my address... I can get 768k DSL, ROFL. That's it!

Basic

$30

/mo. for 12 mos.
with 1 yr. agmt.
$ 30 per month for 12 months. with 1 yr. agmt.
See offer details

Plus get a $50 Reward Card

Up to
768 Kbps
post #8498 of 8503 Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
It's available in my area and the promotion is $70.00 per month for 1Gbps currently. Plus Data caps....
Yeah they still act as if they are in the Ma Bell days. I'm afraid if this is the case here, they will be a very long time recouping their fiber investment.

The non-promotion price I'm paying for 200M/20M from TWC, no caps, no contract is $54. That's the total on the bill. This is far more speed than I need, even with the fact that we mostly stream video for TV. So AT&T will need to do far better than that to get us to switch.

TWC here in Huntersville is very good since they upgraded Adelphia's old system and their price & terms for Internet only service is very reasonable. I hope Charter doesn't screw it up.
post #8499 of 8503 Old 09-13-2016, 05:30 AM

AT&T's strategy for the last few years has completely eluded me. I've talked to them several times in an effort to get my internet/phone bill down by offering to switch. Every time I do the only thing they could offer was slower, more expensive service with an unreasonable data cap and a contract, and this was before we got the Maxx upgrades. I don't understand why anyone is with them unless their TV bundles are better.
post #8500 of 8503 Old 09-15-2016, 02:07 PM

^It eludes me too. They called me today and wanted me to switch to their service. Said that because we had been upgraded to fiber, they could now offer us much faster service. So when they checked they said I qualified for 45.0M with a data cap. i.e. That is their Uverse copper wire product.

When I told them that I had 200M/20M from TWC, they insisted their service was better. LOL

Sounds like BAU at AT&T since the street fiber still isn't connected to anything yet. They are their own worst enemy.
post #8501 of 8503 Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat7 View Post
Sounds like BAU at AT&T since the street fiber still isn't connected to anything yet. They are their own worst enemy.
Yea, They are amazingly out of touch with reality in my opinion.. My uverse was out for 8 hours straight this Monday, the 4th? time within a year. My promo period just ended, almost doubling my rates. They seem not to care if I go to TWC the past 3 times I have spoken with them about a renewal.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8502 of 8503 Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The re-branding of Time Warner Cable to Spectrum has begun, per the TWC web site. TWC News is now Spectrum News and TWC Sports is now Spectrum Sports, but neither is yet available in legacy Charter areas. The Charlotte arena will be now called Spectrum Center.
post #8503 of 8503 Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
The re-branding of Time Warner Cable to Spectrum has begun, per the TWC web site. TWC News is now Spectrum News and TWC Sports is now Spectrum Sports, but neither is yet available in legacy Charter areas. The Charlotte arena will be now called Spectrum Center.
I'm curious to see how far they take this into Charter territory. Most of the Time Warner markets carried TWC News, TWC Sports, as well as some of their national channels like NY1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception