Closed Thread

post #91 of 114 Old 04-20-2002, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quinton-

Thanks for your Orlando report. I am curious to receive PBS out of Orlando. Perish the thought but I have a 77 ft. tower I could put up in the back yard but my wife would most likely say no. :( The tower is left over from my ham radio days. When I lived in upstate NY I could get all the NYC stations about 70 miles away and that was over hills. It is flat between here and Gainesville as well as Orlando so I'm sure I could get one of those PBS stations in HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 04-20-2002, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don

WMFE-DT 23 PBS Orlando is still more than a year away from being on the air. The closest PBS digital station I can get from here in Melbourne is WPBT-DT Miami and it is jammed by an analog station most nights. I am Hoping Tampa will be up soon or West Palm.
post #93 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 02:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

The PBS in Tampa has promised to deliver the PBS HDTV linup.

Unfortunately our WJCT PBS has announced plans that would prevent any HDTV as they plan to sell off their spectrum to government and local schools use. I hope these plans change but for the last I heard on it that's the game plan.
post #94 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe if they can not support us with HDTV, then we should not support them.

Dick
post #95 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

>>we should not support them.

If you pay property tax then you support them with this new sell out to the government concept to fill the digital sub channels. As for direct donations, I wouldn't do that anymore than I would donate money to my competition. Jacksonville's WJCT began a quasi illegal use of their tax dollar NP organization to go into the video production business and compete directly with businesses like mine with an unfair tax exempt advantage. There have been other issues that have made local press regarding corruption in their auction in the past years as well. You may recall reading about this in the paper. WJCT is not a true and true PBS type affiliate that many in Jacksonville think it is. Personally, if I were to "give" to PBS it would be to WGBH in Boston as they are the ones who are doing something, lots, giving back to the community with all their creative PBS type programming.
post #96 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 10:17 AM

Back in January, I wrote WJCT with some questions about their HDTV plans. Here is the response I got then:

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:00:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Fwd: HDTV....when?
Cc: Dick_Heuer@WJCT.pbs.org, Michael_Boylan@WJCT.pbs.org

Jonathan, Thank you for your interesting comments. I have tried to answer your questions as succinctly as possible. If you have further informational requests, please send an email directly to me.

>What are the plans for HDTV at WJCT?
To follow the FCC mandate for non-commercial broadcasters. HDTV will be broadcast as available from our network - PBS.

> When will you begin broadcasting?
May 2003 is the mandate.

>What resolutions are you going to support?
PBS's delivery standard is 1080i and initially 480i for local programs.

> What are you doing to ensure that AT&T Cable will support the retransmission of the HDTV digital picture?
PBS is in negotiation with several cable companies. However, the FCC has made no federal mandate for HDTV cable carriage at this time.

>If you're going to do, then by all means exploit it. Don't compress multiple sub-channels of low resolution "junk" programming.
The State of Florida will require WjCT to provide at least one SD (480i) stream twelve hours every weekday for educational programming to the schools our DTV signal reaches.

> Using the bandwidth the FCC gave you and do 1080i frequently
PBS is currently providing an excellent HDTV program service which we will broadcast upon initializing our DTV transmitter and as our programming schedule permits.

>720p more often
720p is a part of the MPEG2 standard that a few networks (ABC for example) have adopted. PBS has chosen to use the highest standard currently available - 1080i.

> and NEVER less than 480i. What a waste if you don't....
We hope 480i is just a transitional format for us. As we purchase more production equipment, we will have the opportunity to do local productions as 1080i HDTV.

I'm am glad to know that our viewing public, like yourself, is genuinely interested in the many opportunities that will come with the transition to Digital television.

If you would like to support WjCT's DTV effort, please send a check to WjCT, Inc. c/o the DTV fund. It will be put to good use and may allow us to start our DTV broadcasts sooner than later.

Sincerely,
Brian Lietz
VP Technology and Operations
WjCT
brian_lietz@wjct.pbs.org

Jonathan
post #97 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
The PBS in Tampa has promised to deliver the PBS HDTV linup.

Yeah, I can't wait! They are using a "clear channel" 54 (ie:no jamming from any other stations on that frequency) they will be doing 1000 kw and be up at 1500' level. I should be able to lock them fairly well from where I am.
post #98 of 114 Old 04-21-2002, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Jonathan-

>>PBS is currently providing an excellent HDTV program service which we will broadcast upon initializing our DTV transmitter and as our programming schedule permits. <<

That is quite different than what they had in a press release to the local paper a couple of months ago. They said nothing about HDTV in fact said there were no current plans for it but would be doing the educational program on the subchannels as well as have an agreement with the city to air council meetings and other government stuff for sale of air time. I'll try to find that release and then with both, maybe we could get an explanation from them. There appears to be a conflict or over assignment of available bandwidth if they try to do everything stated in the letter and their press release quote.
post #99 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 07:19 AM

WJCT's website still has infor on DTV, HDTV and what WJCT is doing to prepare, although it is completely stale.

I wrote an email to a general contact address off that site asking for an update on PBS HD. Should be interesting.
post #100 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It is official Clear Channel's WTEV will be CBS on 7/15.
Doesn't that mean goodbye to CBS HD in Jax?

http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcasting...y=breakingNews
post #101 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 11:01 AM

It certainly sounds like it means goodbye CBS HD sometime this summer (when the contract runs out) until WTEV is able to pick the HDTV ball back up. Whenever that is.
post #102 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 12:02 PM

From WTEV today (4-22-2002)

" There have been delays in tower construction. We plan to go HDTV sometime
this summer.

Jerry Randall
WAWS/WTEV
Chief Engineer"

Dick
post #103 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 03:38 PM

IT looks like we will get HD for new tv season on CBS.Thats not too bad.I wonder if they will get WJXT's CBS decoder and encoder? That might save some shipping time.
post #104 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I just heard a commercial on the radio tauting WTEV as the new CBS affiliate in July and how it would carry the Jags games this fall.

Quinton, that would seem like the most logical plan, but you know how these companies work. I'm sure they will have to send it all the way back to CBS and then we will have to wait 4+ weeks for WTEV to get it. At least that is how the U.S. Govt works:)

Paul
post #105 of 114 Old 04-22-2002, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

They should, WJXT definetly should not get to keep that equipment.
post #106 of 114 Old 04-23-2002, 06:37 AM

If that hardware works the way we all know hardware works, it probably only works for CBS signals. Or maybe it stops working if it doesn't receive some encrypted message in the JAG signal once a week. :)
post #107 of 114 Old 04-23-2002, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was told that the CBS supplied hardware is preset for the CBS transponder so it only works for CBS stations.
post #108 of 114 Old 04-23-2002, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just read the big article in The Times Union and there was no mention that I saw of Digital Broadcast. They made sure they mentioned the ever important and cuturally significant "jerry springer" show but not anything about Digital TV.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...g_9216042.html

That's another online article but still nothing about Digital.

Tim Huey

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #109 of 114 Old 04-23-2002, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, tonight reception is great and I have finally been able to lock WJXT -DT and 42.1 visually looks identical to WKMG 6.1 Orlando. I did notice that WJXT doesn't do captions, secondary audio, and their simulcast sub-channel is an over compressed waste of bandwidth. Their is one station here in Orlando that broadcasts a simulcast and like WJXT it simply wastes precious bits from the HD feed for simulcasting a SD feed. I wish stations would use their heads and at least transmit something different on their sub channels. Hoping to lock WJXX tonight if the jamming on ch 10 dies down. Right now I am being jammed by analog 10 Tampa and can't over come the interference to get a good lock on WJXX-DT 10. I wish I had an antenna that had a concrete wall around it that I could raise so it would block the jamming. WJXT 42.1 looks good to bad CBS is going to clear channel. WTEV analog is really booming tonight it looks like a local station even though I am 180 miles south. Hopefully if they get their act together and get WTEV-DT 19 on the air I will be able to lock that occasionally.
post #110 of 114 Old 04-23-2002, 08:11 PM

I was wondering if the tropo ducting was going to be good tonight from Orlando but I didn't feel like playing the rewire-and-crawl-on-the-roof game just to get 30 min of a channel. That rooftop antenna with rotator is looking bettter and better. As far as 42.2, I think we all agree that it is a waste. I tuned in today and it looked like crap (aka recent DBS type quality) compared to what it was like when they first started broadcasting. Maybe somebody is playing with the compression to free up some bandwidth for the HD side of the house. Works for me.(Until July)
post #111 of 114 Old 04-24-2002, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

When I switched from the Terk 55 to the LP Yagi I actually lost 42-1 and gained good signal on 10-1. Not what I had in mind. It seems that my Terk works well for an omni antenna in the UHF range and poor in the VHF and the opposite is true for the log periodic Yagi that should be all band design. So, I tried some Rat Shack amplifiers and all they did was get me a reduced signal on my channel 10 and 13 and still no signal on 42. Here was the problem: I moved the antenna vertically 5 feet with 5 feet of mast. It was just too close to the house roof (frame) to get a steady signal. That 5 feet put all my channels 10 thru 42 in the 92 to 95 range on the DTC meter. When it was closer to the roof the signal was fluctuating wildly between 28 and 50. After the signal was running steady in the 90's on all channels I decided to try the 2 amps I had from Rat Shack and check signal on the meter. In both amp cases the signal was reduced to the mid 70's with the amp inserted, so I have removed the amp and returned them to Rat Shack for refund. Oh, one correction channel 13-1 is not as strong as the others and it is running at 75 meter strength while the others are in the low 90's but at least all stations are digital switched on and solid with no breakups at this time.
The downside to this is that now my antenna is visible from the street and when I had it lower it was not. No big deal but that is the reason why I tried to keep it lower, originally. I can imagine that those of you using antennas inside an attic will get fair to poor results based on my experience with the roof mount. The antenna is now 10 ft above the roof line.

satpro-
I understand what you are saying about WJXT and their current testing of options. But, don't forget that all what they are doing is just testing right now. Agter July 15th everything will change as they lose their HDTV from CBS altogether. Then we look to WTEV for scrutiny. WTEV does not think like a major network station and there will need to be much change in how they do things to tow the CBS line. It is going to be a whole new ball game after 7-15 so I wouldn't even worry about what WJXT is currently doing. Just enjoy what you get from their current test period. I'm more concerned right now that channel 10 (ABC) is not passing along the HDTV signal yet. They are still upconverting the SD to 1080i. BS did tell me that the plan is to upconvert the ABC 720P to 1080i for transmission but they have not yet done that. Looking forward to seeing that when it happens.
post #112 of 114 Old 04-24-2002, 02:24 PM

Don,

Glad to see you are getting everything in pretty strong now. Who cares if you can see your antenna from the street? (You don't have some neighborhood policy against that, do you?) I'll be glad when 10 starts showing some HD, even though I really don't watch ABC much at all. But that is what I said before I started watching CBS. Do you know if WJXX has the equipment to do the 720P-->1080i reception/conversion yet? I know ABC does a lot of movies in HD so I would like to check them out.

Paul
post #113 of 114 Old 04-24-2002, 06:49 PM

Clear Channel owns and operates CBS affiliate WKRC-TV 12 and WKRC-DT 31 in Cincinnati which has been very pro-active regarding digital and High Definition broadcasting including producing the telecast of the largest fireworks show in Cincinnati in multi-camera HD for the last two years. During the last year Clear Channel Jacksonville completed major facility renovations including adding television production and office facilities and relocating their Radio and Outdoor operations to be co-located with their two televison operations. If something needs to be done to accomodate CBS you can be sure that Jerry Randall will get the support he needs to get it done.
post #114 of 114 Old 04-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Thanks Akenyon. Good to hear that.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page