CBS dropping out bad East of Cleveland! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-05-2002, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried watching CBS the last two weeks (AFP), and the audio (and to a lesser extent video) drop outs have been unbearable. I'd say ever 10-20 seconds. NBC, ABC, and Fox are coming in perfectly and two of those stations are farther away. I have a medium range directional antenna in the attic and all the stations are in the same line. I didn't used to have this problem, and was wondering if other people in Shaker Heights OH are having the same problem. I'm using the Zenith 1080i.

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-05-2002, 11:05 PM

:confused: I have the same problem and i live in south Akron. 3,5,8,come in great but i can barely watch 19 which sucks because the masters is on next week :mad: . I call 19 on the phone and talked to a station engineer and he said that they are only allowed to transmit at a lower power level because there signal interferes with another station somewhere in Detroit. I have the dishnetwork and I applied for a waiver so I could get cbs from the satellite ( i hope they approve it) I think the cbs feed is out of New York but i don't think i will have it in time for the masters which really sucks!!! So no you are not the only one and they do know about it at channel 19. Hope this helps
post #3 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder if they have recently turned down the strength of their signal, because I used to be able to watch it. What STB are you using?
It looks like I may have to move the antenna to the roof....

Thanks,
Rick
post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 05:59 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
My CBS digital signal has gone from satisfactory (few dropouts) to totally unsatisfactory during this last week. I live in North Royalton and have an antenna installed on the roof. My current signal strength is "65-72" (same as before) but now has frequent short drops to "0-20" which obviously results in dropouts. My signal strength for the other three Cleveland digital stations is 100 with little or no dropouts.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

hhmmm, the good thing about that is that it clearly isn't a problem with me having the antenna in the attic, but a problem with CBS. Lets hope they fix it before the Masters!

Thanks,
Rick
post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

West of Cleveland with the same problem!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 08:32 AM

I am using the 6000 model reciever for dishnetwork
post #8 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 09:32 AM

I am in Columbia Station and I am having the same problems.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same problem in North Ridgeville. Signal bounces between 65 & 72. All other digital stations are at 100% with my Toshiba DST-3000 and RS rooftop antenna w/roter. They must have cut power within the last few months because it has never been this bad before, in fact, it used to be one of the best. The audio/video breakups are so bad that the only way I can enjoy the 19-1 shows is to switch back to the analog feeds. What a letdown.

What I want to know is, what are they going to do to solve this problem? Here in the Cleveland area 19-1 is the premire HDTV local channel with the most HDTV programing. It almost sounds to me that they are using the wrong transmitting antenna. They say they are interfearing with Detroit stations. Isn't a digital signal only good for predeterined distance, then drop off to nothing? I would think that with the correct antenna, they could go back to full power and not bother Detroit at all. Just my opinion. what do you guys think?

Ben Music
post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-2002, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bump.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-08-2002, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I called the CBS station today to see what was going on. The guy I talked to said they had gotten some complaints, but he just talked to the engineer and was told that everything is working fine. As soon as I got home, I checked - still unwatchable with drop outs every few seconds. My signal bar goes from 70s to less than 20, then back up. I'm really pissed because I don't want to have to watch the masters in SD! I tried calling the engineer myself, but he never answered. His name is Dave 440-845-1919. If you live in Cleveland and are having the same problem, please call so they begin to believe.... Anyone in Cleveland NOT having this problem?

Thanks,
Rick
post #12 of 20 Old 04-08-2002, 06:29 PM

I too called to complain earlier this afternoon. The engineer I spoke with didn't sound like he knew that the problem was still going on. He said they have problems recieving their own signal at their station in downtown Cleveland and are not sure if it's just a local reception problem or something else. From what I've heard in the past, most of these station engineers don't even have an HDTV set at home. They're still watching the analog channels and are unaware of what's going on the digital side.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Bump!
post #14 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

I finally talked to Dave this morning, and they have realized that there is a problem. They are working on it....

Rick
post #15 of 20 Old 04-09-2002, 09:20 AM

yep i think that they finally fixed the problem i have been watching 19-01 for about 20 minutes now and not a single dropout yet. Thank you WOIO just in the nick of time for the masters. Man could you imagine all the time and money that CBS is spending and to not be able to get it would be a huge disappointment hopefully they got it right this time :)
post #16 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 05:33 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
My CBS reception was great last night. Same 65-72 signal strength; but with no dropouts.

I'm grateful that they fixed the problem. But the fact that their signal was basically worthless for ten days, and they didn't know it, sure illustrates the attention that their digital station receives!
post #17 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 09:45 AM

yesterday i had a great signal in a rain storm and today on a bright sunny day i have a crap signal what is the world are they doing at channel 19??? I really hope they get it right for sundays round at the masters!!!
post #18 of 20 Old 04-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Same here in Warren Ohio. Yesterday was great - Today breakups every few minutes.

Ron
post #19 of 20 Old 04-14-2002, 09:18 AM

CBS is doing a terrilbe job with the Masters. Its almost as bad as FOX and the Super Bowl. The current Master telecast is so poor there ought to be a disclaimer. They jump from HD to SB. The use of the three worst announers. The poor production coverage of the players and their round. And then to top it all off the Cleveland CBS station did not carry the HD broadcast on Th and F. What's with that?

I called and asked why they didn't show HD on Th and F, and they said they couldn't simulcast 2 different shows as the same time! Yet they seem to be able to handle the simulcast on Sat and Sun????

No wonder people don't want to make the investment in HD when the production and reliability is so poor. Its a shame about the Celveland station because CBS has the most HD programing available.

I just had to vent, as I thought the Masters would have been a showcase for what HD could be, and look what they have done!
post #20 of 20 Old 04-14-2002, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, it sounds like a lie about not being able to show it during the week. Last year I watched the Masters on at least Friday & I think on Thursday too. They had other (regular) programming on their analog channel I'm pretty sure. Plus the fact that you are correct in that yesterday & today they managed to show two different broadcasts of the Masters; one on the digital station & the other on 19 analog. So, in fact they were capable of two different shows at the same time in the past (last year) & also managed to pull it off yesterday & today. So I'd like to see how they can substantiate their lame answer for why they couldn't show it Thursday & Friday. Yes our WOIO is very bad. They could however have a valid point if indeed they must transmit at a lower level because of channel 10 in Detroit. That is possible & unavoidable for them if that's the case.

In all honesty, as far as the CBS broadcast of The Masters goes, keep in mind that Mitsubishi sponsors & pays for equipment & because an 18 hole golf course is so big, they simply don't have enough money or HD cameras to have everything in HD. It's impossible at this time really & I can't blame them for that. I can blame them for not having any replays during their broadcast of the Masters in HDTV (I didn't see any). What I also can blame CBS for is having SD shots during the NCAA championship games. It doesn't take many HD Camera in a small area to be able to show ONLY HD. That was LAME. As far as the golf goes though, just try to imagine trying to cover every possible area where golf balls might land. Then double that effort because they need different views of the same exact shot. Minimum you are talking 3-5 HD camera on most holes just to cover the path of the ball, not including multiple angles. Maybe par 3's would need only two but even that might not cut it if someone puts one in the trees. So even at that level, you are talking 60-90 HD cameras that would be needed to cover the whole thing in HD 100%. No way can they do that at this stage of the game. The cost would be out of this world. So maybe that explains the SD a bit.

I'm 100% with ya on everything but the golf thing though & I hope WOIO can at least give us constancy even if they can't give a stronger signal. Flipping the switch as HDTV programming starts instead of 5 minutes into the show. Flipping the switch after commercials. Doing more to improve the signal even if their hands are tied. Showing as much HD content as they can. These are the things they need to fix as soon as possible!!

-Todd
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page