Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newtown, CT USA +41.370599 -73.351013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my story:
My location is in western CT, 54 miles from the Empire State Building (for WCBS-DT channel 56 and WNYW-DT channel 44), 40 miles from WFSB-DT channel 33 (Hartford) and 14 miles from WTNH-DT channel 10 (New Haven).
I started with a roof fix mounted RS VU-90 with no pre-amp and 50 feet of RG-59 to the Samsung SIR-T150 receiver. WTNH comes in great (I don't even need the antenna - just the coax!) but nothing from Hartford or New Haven.
So after reading a number of threads on this forum, I bought a Blake JBX21B, CM7777 pre-amp and a CM rotor. I also replaced the RG-59 with RG-6. I removed the UHF portion of the VU-90 and fixed mounted it in the attic pointed at Channel 10. The pre-amp is mounted on the mast with about 5 feet of RG-6 from the Blake. I have it set for separate UHF and VHF inputs. I then hooked up the coax to the TV set first and tuned into a analog UHF channel that broadcasts from the ESB. I then rotated the antenna to get the best possible picture - the picture has no ghosting but quite a bit of snow. I then hooked the coax to the Samsung and tried tuning to 56. Nothing on the Samsung signal meter at first. I left the room and when I came back, I had a picture!! No more than 30 seconds later, the signal was completely gone, never to return. I know I didn't imagine it as the samsung mapped 56 to 2-1. I then tried 33 but nothing on the signal meter but the red signal light on the front of the STB flashes orange which indicates to me something is there - weak but there. Oh, and channel 10 comes in great.
So today I plan on playing with the vertical angle of the antenna, disconnecting the VHF antenna, switching the FM filter on and off and maybe shortening the length of cable from the antenna to the pre-amp. If anyone has any bright ideas I'd love to hear them. If I don't get something soon, either I'll jump off the roof or my wife will push me!!!