Problems getting WCBS in NY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2002, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally jumped on the HDTV bandwagon and purchased the SONY receiver.

I took down the old beat-up antenna that came with my house and put up a new Radio Shack VU-190 XR. It was on sale for $49.00. The antenna is on a 10 foot poll on the roof and is pointed toward the ESB.

I live in Tenafly, NJ and my house is only about 10 miles from the ESB. The analog locals come in great, as well as 5.1 Fox HDTV. The problem is 2.1 WCBS HDTV, keeps cutting in and out. It will work for about five minutes and then loses the signal for a few seconds and then come back.

I guess what are my options? Do I try to play with the antenna to see if it is positions correctly? Do I get a pre-amp or amp? Do I get a larger poll or add a UHF only antenna?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2002, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Learned recently that Fox/UPN is broadcasting at significantly less power than CBS. Might be a multipath quirk where a slight antenna movement would bring in CBS. I'd also try a manual tuning of CBS on 56, it's transmitted UHF channel. At that range, unless you're buried in hills, etc., you might even pick up CBS with any indoor UHF bowtie-type antenna. -- John
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2002, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just adjusted the antenna a bit and both CBS and fox are coming in great.

I must say that I'm not overly impressed with the way the Monday night sit-coms looked on my Sony 32" XBR. I thought the HDTV would be a bit more breathtaking.

Jeff
post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2002, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Glad to read you found a fix. To max out the fidelity from your set, don't miss CBS's (WCBS-DT) live broadcast of the Masters golf tournament. (Thur 4-6:30; Fri 4-6:60; Sat 3:30-6:30; Sun 2:30-7). [Edit: This schedule varies from another, as my Tuesday a.m. post points out.]

Assuming CBS is using unfiltered 1920X1080 cameras, which they've indicated they do, you'll be picking up the best HDTV possible (at the moment). Direct-view consumer sets, of course, have resolution limits due to their shadow masks, but live shows still seem to present the best images. -- John
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2002, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffPatt
I must say that I'm not overly impressed with the way the Monday night sit-coms looked on my Sony 32" XBR. I thought the HDTV would be a bit more breathtaking
Did you watch "Family Law" at 10:00 PM? If not, you should have. It's one of the best PQ shows on CBS. Others are "Judging Amy", "CSI", "The Agency", and "The District".
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page