Austin DTV not very promising - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2002, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been checking with the local TV stations as to how the DTV rollout is going. What I'm hearing is when they go online they will use "Low Power City Grade transmitters." I'm not real up on the tech specs of how much power is needed for a certain broadcast range. What I found at the FCC is that stations
KVUE 1000 kW ERP
KXAN 700 kW ERP
KTBC 1000 kW ERP
KEYE 82.7 kW ERP
KNVA 500 kW ERP
KLRU 59.9 kW ERP

The engineer at KTBC stated that the signal probably wouldn't reach the Bastrop area about 38 miles away. If the above numbers reflect the power these stations will be using and reflects the effective range, then I guess the folks outside of the city limits will be screwed. Of course when they finally switch to full digital as voluntarily mandated by the FCC, then we might all have DTV say, oh about the turn of the next century. On another note. Is there a simple way to check if you are able to receive the signal without having to purchase a digital OTA module and or STB. I have a large outside antenna but really don't want to shell out big bucks when there is no chance of receiving a DTV signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-11-2002, 08:12 PM

Frankly, I'd like to see any of them broadcasting at all. We have the NBC affilate, but its HD programming is pretty much just one or two programs.

What is your waiver situation like in Bastrop for Dish HD programming? --Karl
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Greetings Major

I have heard of the CBS HD programming. I have the Dish and am getting the local channels. I've inquired about the HD programming from Dish, but am not ready to install multiple dishes to get 2 channels. I wonder which satellite Dish broacasts the CBS HD feed from. I'll look into it. Thanks.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just found out I'll need the second dish for the CBS HD feed. I never dreamed trying to get DTV and HDTV would be such a chore. Oh well I can always watch DVDs on the bigscreen. The dish programming is very watchable but I would like to let my 65" Mits be all it can be. I guess the wait continues...sigh.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2002, 09:22 PM
jrv

The only DTV signal I get is KXAN (NBC). They're on channel 21 but remapped to 36. I'm using the decoder built into my Sony 34XBR2 HDTV.

KXAN appears to be broadcasting a HD signal on subchannel .1 and up-converting the material at their end. Jay Leno is the only show that appears to be in 1080i. Subchannel .2 is current weather readings (temp, wind, etc) and subchannel .3 is a weather radar. .2 & .3 appear to be either 480i or 480p.

I'm told that the STB that Time Warner requires you to use really sucks, and there's not much programming there anyway. I'm skipping this for now and plan to look at DBS for non-local HDTV.

If you've heard comments from engineers at the local stations as to when they plan to start broadcasting I'd be interested in hearing about it.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2002, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Do a search on "Austin" in this and the programming forum. There are several posts.

In a nutshell:

KTBC (Fox): On or about May 1
KNVA (WB): On or about June/July
KVUE (ABC): First Quarter 2003
KEYE (CBS): First Quarter 2003
KLRU (PBS): May 1, 2003
MBEJ (UPN): Hasn't applied for a digital channel

NBC, ABC, and CBS out of San Antonio are broadcasting as is CBS in Waco.

Check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=130050 for more details.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2002, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrv
I'm told that the STB that Time Warner requires you to use really sucks, and there's not much programming there anyway. I'm skipping this for now and plan to look at DBS for non-local HDTV.
On the other hand, if you already have HBO, it doesn't cost any extra to have the HD box and watch things like Gladiator (on tonight) in glorious HD. I just picked up my SA 3100HD box, and it seems to work just fine.

Also, the HD reps at TW cable in Austin seem to be making an effort to convince programming execs to add more HD programming (wouldn't Discovery HD be great?), so perhaps things will improve in time.

So, if you already have cable and HD display equipment, and interested in HBO programming, I'd definitely get myself on the list for an HD box. --Karl
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page