WISH-TV 8 Indy Throw the switch at 7pm - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 76 Old 05-04-2002, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
:D Thanks, Larry that did the trick. One other question though, when I did the scan it only picked up 3 channels, 25-1, 25-2 and 59-1. Is this normal or just an indication I need more heighth on the antenna?

Thanks again, you gotta love the net. Answers, answers everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 05-04-2002, 01:44 PM

Try changing antenna orientation. You know where the towers are located. Ch 9 appears as 8-1, 8-2. Ch 46 as 46-1, 46-2.
post #63 of 76 Old 05-06-2002, 10:54 AM

I noticed 3 things this weekend (I've been out of town, so I may be behind the 8 ball):

1. I assume this is Paul's doing, but my DTC-100 locks in immediately now on 25. Works great!

2. WTHR-DT was running the HD-Demo again on Sunday. Anyone know if they are going back to running it everyday? Seems like there's only a 1/2 hour or so of material looping. I thought they used to have more (fireworks, etc.). Oh well.

3. 8-3 is now 24 hour radar. Cool! If I worked outdoors I would really use it, but at least it might help with those borderline decisions on whether or not to the weather will hold out to play golf...

Anyways, I appreciate what's happening in Indy right now with DTV and hope everyone keeps up the good work.

Derek
post #64 of 76 Old 05-06-2002, 04:22 PM

Paul:

Actually, WISH is using Divicom/Harmonic for encoders. I think the 4 of us stations have chosen 4 different manufacturers. If nothing else, it should make for good testing!

Tom Weber
WISH
post #65 of 76 Old 05-06-2002, 05:26 PM

Derekbang --

I've noticed that my DCT-100 is locking on 25 alot better as of the past couple days as well. My tests are far from exhaustive though.....proehm, if this is your doing, Thank you.

Mak.
post #66 of 76 Old 05-07-2002, 07:39 PM

1. I assume this is Paul's doing, but my DTC-100 locks in immediately now on 25. Works great!

3. 8-3 is now 24 hour radar. Cool! If I worked outdoors I would really use it, but at least it might help with those borderline decisions on whether or not to the weather will hold out to play golf...

I have made no changes in the past couple of weeks. If you are hooked to a mini-dish too, you may want to see if you got a software upgrade. If you did, I would be curious what version you are running now. Actually I would be curious what version you are running period.

I too want say thanks for the radar. At about 4:30am it sounded like the world was coming to an end here on the south side. It was nice to be able to look at the radar and see how much more was coming. Tom, what kind of rate are running on it? I am running 15 on 720p and 4.2 on 480i. That keeps the pipe pretty full. If I could find a hundred kb of data to shove out I would be about full. Can anybody out there receive data? If so can you select what PID you get it on?

p:

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 76 Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Weber
Paul:

Actually, WISH is using Divicom/Harmonic for encoders. I think the 4 of us stations have chosen 4 different manufacturers. If nothing else, it should make for good testing!

Tom Weber
WISH
Are you able to do any statistical mux? We still have the old Tiernans, and all I can do is set the max data rates, and hope for the best. If I ever do this again, I am going to take a really serious look at the Tandbergs. The Aletia that was provided for Warner seems to be a really nice unit. And I really liked the look of the Tandbergs at NAB.

p:

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 76 Old 05-07-2002, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Makisupa
Derekbang --

I've noticed that my DCT-100 is locking on 25 alot better as of the past couple days as well. My tests are far from exhaustive though.....proehm, if this is your doing, Thank you.

Mak.
Now I really am beginning to wonder if they did a software upgrade. I think I will run a cable and put the 101 satellite into the box I am monitoring 25.2 with.

p:

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis

post #69 of 76 Old 05-09-2002, 07:15 AM

Paul

No software upgrade here. I use my DTC-100 for OTA only - don't even own a dish. Interesting...
post #70 of 76 Old 05-09-2002, 10:05 AM

I've got HD at 16.25 (or maybe it's 16, I can't remember), LWS at 1.75, and radar at 0.75.

I can do statmux on SDs only right now, though Harmonic unveiled it for HD at NAB this year. I'm not statmuxing LWS and radar, I may try it after I get a few minor projects (!) done.

I DID do stat muxing of the 3 basketball games when we did the NCAA multicast, but I kept LWS out of the mux. I might try that next year, though I was able to average the 3 games at 5 Mbits each which made them look pretty decent.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #71 of 76 Old 05-12-2002, 08:26 PM

It looks really, really good for 1.75. If I try to go that low with the software that I am using on the TE-60, we are in "reboot often" land. The 750k on radar I would believe. It is perfectly useable though. I remember when the only way I could get it was from the 425.25. This is MUCH better. At least for me. (Hey, that's what we need, an 8-vsb amateur repeater. Just need for zenith to get that low cost 8-vsb modulator chipset on the market.) I would guess that the bandwidth being used for audio starts to get painful at these kind of rates.

p:

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis

post #72 of 76 Old 05-13-2002, 06:02 AM

Paul,

I haven't watched much on WRTV but last night I started to watch Dinotopia but couldn't get audio. I've noticed in the past that when I have my Samsung SIR-T150 set to 1080i and I surf to WRTV I will get choppy audio but if I switch to 720p it will clear up. But last night there was no audio at either setting.

Why would the audio be choppy (rhythmic drop-outs) at 1080i?

Why no audio at all last night?

Thanks!

Roger

post #73 of 76 Old 05-13-2002, 06:12 AM

I think the Samsung has a problem with 720p. My SIR-T150 had the same problem. The Panasonic HDS20 I have now has no problem with WRTV. Their problem Sun. night was switching into Alias at 9pm. They started off with direct ABC HD feed of The Practice. Then about 3 min. later switched between that and the delayed Alias about a dozen times, before settling on Alias.

Viewers in other markets have the same problem with the T150. You might contact Samsung and see if there is a newer software update.
post #74 of 76 Old 05-20-2002, 09:57 AM

I live just north of Indy in Lebanon. I haven't used my DTC100 in awhile - probably since the Final Four. This weekend I tried to access Ch. 46-1 and was surprised to see that it wasn't available in my channel list. I also discovered that Ch. 59-1 wasn't listed. I tried channel searches with the OTA guide both on and off and still didn't get either channel. Both WRTV and WISH are coming in on their digital channels, albeit at reduced signal strengths (70 for WISH and 45 for WRTV). Before I start comprehensive troubleshooting with the antenna, can anyone in the area let me know if they are currently getting these channels OK? Thanks!
post #75 of 76 Old 05-20-2002, 10:03 AM

They were all on Sun. evening. However, no 480p from 59-1. WTHR is now up to 700kw. You should have no problem with any of the locals. Maybe you need to do a re-scan. Are you on the correct antenna input?
post #76 of 76 Old 05-21-2002, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdobbins
I live just north of Indy in Lebanon. I haven't used my DTC100 in awhile - probably since the Final Four. This weekend I tried to access Ch. 46-1 and was surprised to see that it wasn't available in my channel list. I also discovered that Ch. 59-1 wasn't listed. I tried channel searches with the OTA guide both on and off and still didn't get either channel. Both WRTV and WISH are coming in on their digital channels, albeit at reduced signal strengths (70 for WISH and 45 for WRTV). Before I start comprehensive troubleshooting with the antenna, can anyone in the area let me know if they are currently getting these channels OK? Thanks!
You too, may be close enough to need to pad down the input. Attenuate the input until your analog 20, 40 & 59 start to get noisy and then back off a little bit. Antenna efficentcies are better for uhf and you may well be getting too much on 25 ,45 & 46.

p:

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page