Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 76 Old 04-09-2002, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tom, and or staff at WISH-TV 8

With the time change, like previous years, I assume the HDTV switch must be "thrown" at 7 p.m. now. Well, its nearly 10 after and no HD Jag. I guess I really need to get a life, oh well. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 04-09-2002, 07:26 PM

After sitting down and watching 35-40 minutes of Family Law in HD starting at 9 (because of the time change) the engineers flipped the switch to the King of Queens, SD and stretched. It never flipped back to Family Law. C'mon guys! Figure out what program your going to show. This isn't like it used to be, Tom ... there is actually people watching!

PS. Tom, If you see this, I'm not sure how long you guys have been broadcasting the digital channel....seems like i've been watching for about 1.5 years now. Why can you not timeshift the network satellite feed? With the proliferation of affordable consumer options I was just curious.

PPS. Have you ever watched the standard SD stretch method that you guys use all the time? Do you know how awful that looks? Is there anyway you could send 4X3 stuff flagged 4X3 -- like you did during the multicast. Then we would have the choice of stretching or not. Just an idea...

I didn't mean for this to come off like a bitch session. Honestly, when it works it works great. You guys also have to deal with us ;) Seriously, don't think that i'm not grateful. I think the root of the frustration is that due to the time change none of the other networks will even be passing HD or ED stuff -- Just like last year. I really hope i'm wrong....

Ronald -- Good to see a fellow Indianapolis viewer in the forum.
post #3 of 76 Old 04-09-2002, 09:23 PM

Check out this thread for more info. Tom's out of town this week, so I'm not sure if he's checking the forum. But I can say the equipment to delay HDTV is being installed as we speak..

Chris
post #4 of 76 Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 AM

Chris,
That is wonderful news. I can't believe I missed that thread. I've obviously been neglecting the forum lately :)

Thanks,

Mak
post #5 of 76 Old 04-10-2002, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Chris and Mak,

Good to see some other Central Indiana HD viewers. I've been watching for nearly three years now and there for awhile it sure seemed lonely. Chris, thanks for the link to Tom's news about timeshifting. I had not seen that. Tom has always been quick with information and diligent with his concern. Too bad the other Indy stations have demonstrated such concern. Maybe somebody just needs to point them in the direction of this forum. Take care you guys.
post #6 of 76 Old 04-11-2002, 11:10 AM

Ron or anyone out there. What type of OTA antenna are you guys using?

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
post #7 of 76 Old 04-11-2002, 01:25 PM

Attic antenna here, but I'm only 12 mi. from the transmitter sites. Not much local HD, since the time change in NY.
post #8 of 76 Old 04-11-2002, 02:09 PM

Howdy Central Indiana folks-

I just got my HD receiver in time for the Final Four, so I'm just starting to enjoy Indy's DTV signals. I use a powered RCA antenna that sit on my RPTV behind by center speaker. Anyone have news on when PBS goes digital? Also, I got this email from WTTV - TitanTV.com said May 1, 2002, but apparently not (at least it should be in time for my IU games):

Derek,

WTTV probably won't have a digital transmission until this Fall. There
are a lot of problems with equipment delays and other issues that have
come up. About 70% of the stations around the country have filed for an
extension with the FCC because of the same problems.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Harry T. Ford III
Program Director WTTV/WTTK
post #9 of 76 Old 04-11-2002, 04:54 PM

Quote:
With the proliferation of affordable consumer options
Well, our little HD delay box set us back well over $100,000! So much for affordable <g>.

The delay box is in, but there was an issue with getting audio out of it in a format we could use. I ordered the adaptor before heading out of town and told the vendor I needed it "yesterday," and I'll call and raise hell if it doesn't arive by 10:30 tomorrow morning. It does have to clear Customs from Canada, but that should only waste a few hours.

As far as the stretching goes, we may be able to work something out, I may just have to experiment some. I'm mandated to stretch the upconverts, but I may be able to play with the 4:3/16:9 flag like you suggest.

Tom Weber
WISH-TV Engineering
post #10 of 76 Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 AM

Tom,
I realize the great disparity of between consumer and professional equipment -- hence the question. To be honest, that was the response that I was expecting. Congratulation on being Indy's true DTV pioneer! (this will become exceedingly obvious in light of the time change).

Divot -- I just have a standard attic antenna as well. I can;t even tell you the model because it was left in the attic by my house's previous owner. I live about 4 miles directly east of downtown. Most the transmitters are on the northwest side of town, no? I have no reception issues.

A quick aside -- do you any of you have audio problems with WRTV, the local ABC affiliate (not that it really matters anymore since they can't timeshift HD and won't pass the feed through an hour early). When I flip to their digital channels I will often receive popping for anywhere between 5 sec. to minute before the audio is restored. Its like the reference packets aren't being sent as often as they should. Is this my DTC-100 or is anyone else experiencing it?

Thanks.

Mak.
post #11 of 76 Old 04-12-2002, 11:50 AM

Mak -

I have a similar problem with WRTV. For at least 5 seconds, I get no sound and watch my receiver switch between ProLogic and Dolby Digital until settling on DD. I'm assuming you are using an optical/coaxial connection for sound. If not, maybe it's the RCAs. I have the DTC 100 also (Got it for $150 open box at Best Buy - believe that?). Hopefully we get WISH HD back up soon for the Masters....

Take care...
post #12 of 76 Old 04-12-2002, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mak and derek,

Yes, I have noticed the same audio problem on WRTV's digital channel with the DTC-100. I also have a Panasonic and Sony STB and neither exhibit the audio trouble with WRTV that the RCA does.
post #13 of 76 Old 04-12-2002, 02:19 PM

Ronald and Derek --

Thanks for the validation that it wasn't my dtc-100 -- It appears to be the DTC-100 in connection to something flakey that WRTV is doing. The fact that its receiver dependant is interesting...

Derek --
The Masters is looking much better today...no pixelization or constant random (isn't that an oxymoron) MPEG anomalies. It appears the CBS crew is getting it right.

Mak.
post #14 of 76 Old 04-15-2002, 09:56 AM

Quote:
...WRTV, the local ABC affiliate (not that it really matters anymore since they can't timeshift HD and won't pass the feed through an hour early)...
Okay, that's what I thought, since "The Practice" hasn't been in HD lately. ("The Practice" being just about the only ABC show I usually watch.) However, I saw last night that Small Soldiers was in HD. How did they do it? If they do have the ability to timeshift the HD broadcasts, why didn't they for "The Practice" last night? I'm confused...
post #15 of 76 Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Tom,

Any word on the recent "transition" to time-shifting? If nothing else can we go back to having HD on east coast time. I prefer that anyway, and I am sure all would agree HD on eastern time is better than no HD at all.
post #16 of 76 Old 04-16-2002, 02:41 PM

I agree with Ronald. I'd prefer HD on EST until the time-shifter is up versus upconverted SD in CST.
post #17 of 76 Old 04-17-2002, 08:58 AM

I also agree, as I'm sure everyone does. Early HD definitely beats no HD.
post #18 of 76 Old 04-17-2002, 04:35 PM

CBS says that the analog and digital (HD) versions MUST be at the same time. I'm not sure why, but they were adamant, it's a legal thing.

I've ordered a different device, I hoped it was going to be here overnight, but should be here Thurs, as the originally ordered device wasn't going to show up until well into next week.

Tom Weber
WISH-TV Engineering
post #19 of 76 Old 04-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Tom

Thank you for the updates. That's an interesting policy for CBS. A sign that more people are watching in HD?... Please keep up the good work!
post #20 of 76 Old 04-18-2002, 09:20 AM

The snippets I got, filtered thru the Programming Dept., were along the lines of: HD at 7PM with analog and upconverted SD->HD at 8PM constituted a "double run," which then under certain circumstances would trigger residual payments to actors, have other consequences for commercial advertisers, affected the way ratings were calculated; in short, lots of thorny issues that didn't need to be there for the limited benefit of the (relatively) small audience.

And, in the end, it makes more sense for things to be at the same time. It's a better solution, it just cost a bunch of cash to make it happen.

Excuise me for now, I'm going to check the shipping desk for my audio breakout.

Tom
post #21 of 76 Old 04-19-2002, 07:16 AM

Tom (or other WISH-TV viewers),

I haven't watched any HDTV since the Final Four. I watched CSI last night and noticed that the picture quality was not as good as I remembered. Is this what you guys are talking about above? Are we getting upconverted SD signals until the new equipment at WISH is up and running?

Also, I noticed a slight lip-synch problem. Anyone else? I'm pretty sure this was not happeneing a few weeks ago. Is this also related to the above?

I have the Samsung SIR-T150 STB.

Thanks!
post #22 of 76 Old 04-19-2002, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Roger,

Sure, there hasn't been any HD except for the Masters on CBS for the past 2 weeks. Tom has been great about keeping us updated regarding the equipment changeover and the delays. Hopefully it is almost there, because I hate to say it but I can't bring myself to watch the SD signal of what are some of my favorite programs.
post #23 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 07:45 AM

Hey, folks, it should have finally been HD last night (Friday.)

I've got 3 major projects going, not including this one, so I haven't been able to keep you updated, but we kept hacking at it. Got the equipment in Thursday, and then still had to wrestle the software for a day.

I got home too late to check, since "48 Hours" from 10-11PM isn't fed in HD, but I'll check later today to see if everything went OK last night.

And, for those of you in the northern half of the viewing area, WLFI-DT 11 should be emitting radio waves later today. Regular broadcasts will have to wait a few weeks, because of a procedural problem (read: we screwed up) but it's all installed and we'll do final tuning and adjustment today. If forced to predict, I'd guess around June 1 for regular service. Note: this will be SD only for a long while.

Regards,
Tom Weber
WISH-TV Engineering
post #24 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 07:51 AM

Tom -

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Is WLFI a FtWayne station?
post #25 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 07:56 AM

WLFI is in Lafayette.
post #26 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 08:01 AM

Ft. Wayne is a whole other issue.

We're waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) on Canada to approve a channel change.

Very similar issue for our station in Buffalo, NY.

Tom
post #27 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Tom, (FYI)

Last night, (Friday) was not in HD. I checked 1st Monday and it was still SD.
post #28 of 76 Old 04-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

OK,I give up.

What happened to DT-46?

I do like to watch Leno occasionally!
post #29 of 76 Old 04-21-2002, 06:50 AM

MAX HD -

I was just logging on the ask the same thing - no DT-46. Thought it might be my DTC100, but I guess not. Not like anything is in HD this weekend on NBC, but SD is better than analog for the Pacer games...
post #30 of 76 Old 04-21-2002, 07:01 AM

Ch 46 is changing antennas sometime this spring. Perhaps that is why they are off.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page