ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Er, if you're in Tucson, and you want Fox, shouldn't you be looking to the northeast? http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1069565&map=Y

- Trip
I suspect the person you responded to is on the northwest side of Tucson, as I am at the moment. Most of the people in this area have trouble getting the primary transmitters on Mt. Bigelow because they're blocked by Mt. Lemmon. So many of the stations have set up repeaters on the west side on Tumamoc Hill (PBS, NBC, ABC) and Tower Peak (CBS). Since Comcast in Tucson is encrypting all channels I've set up an antenna system (a Silver Sensor for UHF and a twin lead folded dipole cut for ch. 4 for VHF) that gets all those plus the CW station from Sierra Vista. But there's no repeater for the Fox station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3763 Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I was referring specifically to SycamoreSeej, whose location I don't know. His message says he's getting 6 and 27 (as well as both 9 and 16), which suggests he can only be so shadowed. I'm aware of the coverage hole in the Casas Adobes area.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3753 of 3763 Old 03-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in an apartment building on the north side, so roof antennas are no go. Indoor antennas only, and not on the patio (But we can have Dish installed on the patio.... UGH). Right now, I'm content with what i'm getting right now until my cable extenders arrive so I can attach a longer cable to the rabbit ears. If i really wanted to, I might put my other indoor antenna (when it arrives) and put it in the east windows and use a combiner. It depends on how the cable extension fares. I did get KOLD for 3 seconds last night, though. Another funny thing was my kitchen lights love to interfere with the signal. Dumb florescent lights.

EDIT: Have noticed that both KGUN feeds like to fight each other for supremacy on my TV after 10am. Might be where my antenna is (I seriously can't put it anywhere else or lose signal for all stations). This also might be my TV's fault, but the audio/video sync is completely off by a good 1/2 second or so on the majority of channels I get. Annoying as hell for me. So far the only good stations I can watch all day is KVOA, CW, and PBS, until my new gear comes in soon.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #3754 of 3763 Old 03-15-2014, 03:12 PM

UPDATE: Finally got my cable extenders and set up my rabbit ears in the living room window (west) and got better signal from all the channels available, including KOLD. Much better!

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #3755 of 3763 Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

After my RF cable extenders came in last week, I put the antenna in the west window for the time being. This morning I moved the extended cable out of the way so I could get to the closet outside to put a couple boxes away. Came back and lost KOLD. The antenna wasn't touched at all, but all efforts to get it back failed. So I went back out to the closet and grabbed my ladder. I then moved my rabbit ears to the east window, with both RF extenders and a combined 15' cable run to the tv, on the floor and up the closet wall. I have a HUGE closet underneath one of the east windows, so I put it on top of there (the antenna won't fit with the dipoles fully extended upwards in the window itself). My signal reception improved dramatically with the channels I aready had (both KGUN's coming in great. 16 is slightly better than 9 ATM), plus both PBS and the LP channels coming in pretty good as well (Mexican soccer, anyone?), but STILL NO FOX. Looking at the rabbitears.info post posted earlier, I'm in the fringe of needing an outdoor antenna to get it The black dot in the photo is my location. They really need to get off their butts and get a repeater. This is ridiculous. mad.gif

post #3756 of 3763 Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone having trouble last few weeks with KGUN repeater having a weak signal? I'm getting horrendous dropouts now in the NW when it was working fine before.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
post #3757 of 3763 Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM

Liked: 10
KGUN showed back up for me after being down for a week or more. Getting 67% signal on the eastside.
post #3758 of 3763 Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
New OTA Station - Escape TV

I was just checking the TitanTV schedule today and noticed they have a new listing for Univision 46.4, "Escape TV starting 8/18/14". I Goggled and they have a web site at EscapeTV.com. Looks like they show some pretty decent movies and TV show reruns. Looking forward to checking it out, I enjoy 46.3, GetTV.

I'm out in the boonies of Cochise county, south of I-10, between Benson & Willcox. I've tried both Dish & DirecTV satellite, but have found OTA antenna TV is enough TV for me. About 55 miles SE of Mt. Bigelow it takes a high quality antenna, mounted on a 25' pole along side the house, and a high quality pre-amp. But it works great, Kgun9 is the only iffy channel during monsoon, that one has always been the hardest to get after they went back to VHF after the digital switch over.
post #3759 of 3763 Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 AM

I noticed that too, 46.4. Hoping they have some good movies. Really like GetTV, too!

Quick update: My brother & I moved to a friends house for a couple months. Didn't last cos she turned out to be more of a hassle than it was worth. So we moved back up near the old apartment (for brother's work), and have decent reception, except no CW. Funny that I have to point the antennas towards the north to get anything. I tried pointing them south, but it didn't work at all. Also will have to get an external tuner for our tv since it's starting to crap out after 3 years. Otherwise, I'm satisfied.

post #3760 of 3763 Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post
[H]ave decent reception, except no CW. Funny that I have to point the antennas towards the north to get anything. I tried pointing them south, but it didn't work at all
For most people in Tucson the main transmitters are to the north or northeast, on Mt. Bigelow. KWBA (CW) is an exception. It's south, 30+ miles from central Tucson, but it pumps a strong signal into the area and I've found it easy to get.

Your sig says you're using rabbit ears. That's not ideal for UHF (KWBA is on ch. 44) unless it has a loop and even still you might need something better. I'm not sure how you aim rabbit ears north and not south; they're bidirectiional.

If your building has stucco walls as many do there, they will effectively block all but the strongest TV signals. Try the antenna outside if you can or at least through a south-facing window. When I was visiting on the northwest side I found I could get KWBA easily with an unamplified Silver Sensor looking south through a ground floor window.
post #3761 of 3763 Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
For most people in Tucson the main transmitters are to the north or northeast, on Mt. Bigelow. KWBA (CW) is an exception. It's south, 30+ miles from central Tucson, but it pumps a strong signal into the area and I've found it easy to get.

Your sig says you're using rabbit ears. That's not ideal for UHF (KWBA is on ch. 44) unless it has a loop and even still you might need something better. I'm not sure how you aim rabbit ears north and not south; they're bidirectiional.

If your building has stucco walls as many do there, they will effectively block all but the strongest TV signals. Try the antenna outside if you can or at least through a south-facing window. When I was visiting on the northwest side I found I could get KWBA easily with an unamplified Silver Sensor looking south through a ground floor window.
I tried aiming the antenna south with frustrating results, when we first moved in. I'm NE of most of the transmitters (and can clearly see "A" Mountain from here), so I figured it was worth a shot. Damn stucco apartment buildings. The antenna does have a loop. Putting it in the north window with a 25ft run to reach the living room tv worked much better. I did check KWBA the other night and it comes in a lot better than it did when I scanned last month. It's spotty sometimes, but this may be the fault of my slowly-failing tv tuner. KTTU is now the "lost" channel for us. I'll have to buy an external tuner on Amazon pretty soon. Otherwise, I'm pretty content with the results.

Last edited by SycamoreSeej; 08-22-2014 at 03:07 PM.
post #3762 of 3763 Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm NE of most of the transmitters (and can clearly see "A" Mountain from here)
The only way this makes sense is if the transmitters you're talking about are the repeaters on Tumamoc Hill (next to A Mountain) and Tower Peak. The main transmitters are north of you on Mount Bigelow.
Quote:
KTTU is now the "lost" channel for us.
I'm surprised you don't get KTTU; it's on Bigelow along with the rest. If you're getting KMSB (Fox) then it's coming from Bigelow; they don't have a repeater. If you're close to the foothills you may not have a direct line-of-sight. Can you see a line of towers on the mountain range to the north?

If you plug in your address on the TVFool site it will show you where all the transmitters are and whether there are any land masses in the way. Click on "Make Radar Plot" for more detailed info. Click on any station to get a cross-section of the land between the transmitter and you.
post #3763 of 3763 Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
The only way this makes sense is if the transmitters you're talking about are the repeaters on Tumamoc Hill (next to A Mountain) and Tower Peak. The main transmitters are north of you on Mount Bigelow.
I'm surprised you don't get KTTU; it's on Bigelow along with the rest. If you're getting KMSB (Fox) then it's coming from Bigelow; they don't have a repeater. If you're close to the foothills you may not have a direct line-of-sight. Can you see a line of towers on the mountain range to the north?

If you plug in your address on the TVFool site it will show you where all the transmitters are and whether there are any land masses in the way. Click on "Make Radar Plot" for more detailed info. Click on any station to get a cross-section of the land between the transmitter and you.
For some reason KTTU didn't show up when I rescanned, yet KMSB did. I'd rescan, but it's possible I'd lose any other shaky channels, since the tuner's starting to crap out. I'm just on the fringe of getting both channels. I posted a screenshot of KMSB reception earlier in the year at the old apartment about 1/4 mile from here, where the reverse happened!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page