Tucson, AZ - HDTV - Page 127 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that the cox guide was off by an hour that night. Luckily I caught it in time to record TGW at 8, cause the guide showed it at 9.

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OTA watchers: If you haven't seen it already, you should be getting a new subchannel between now and Tuesday. Justice Channel is set to debut by Tuesday on KMSB channel 11.3, joining Fox and Movies! Seems that despite the "sale" to Sander, and the move-in with KOLD, Gannett is still pulling the strings at channel 11, as they are the ones with the agreement with Justice Channel.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone else bothered by Grit's fixed 16x9 in a 4x3, and that many of the movies are stretched to 16x9? If it was the other way around, I could change the settings on my tv, but alas I cannot with this. At least on my recent visit back to Chicago, it wasn't like that on the station there. Any news on ThisTV coming on 9.3, or did that deal fall thru? Usually, all the new channels just show up on my tv when they start broadcasting, no rescan needed. Movies TV still shows as ThisTV in the EPG a year later, lol.

Justice Channel looks like nothing but Divorce Court and Judge Judy shows. I'll pass.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Justice channel on 11.3 coming in at 100% in Oro Valley AZ, as of 23 January. No program guide, using DISH OTA module. Couldn't find an on-line guide on Justice channel's home page either.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM

So sorry for the incredibly late reply. I finally installed a Winegard HD8200U today. I also purchased a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier in hopes of picking up the towers on the mountain. I first tried to see what I would get without the preamp. 17 channels! But no Fox, which I really want. So, I hooked up the preamp properly and I got...6 channels. I turned the antenna toward the West and tried with/without preamp. Again, less channels WITH the preamp. So, I disconnected the preamp and pointed toward 8 degrees magnetic again. I Was able to get Fox for about 30 seconds and then it pixelated to hell and I never got it back. So, I turned the antenna back toward the West and I was able to get 20 channels with no preamp. But, of course no Fox.

First, does anyone know why the preamp would produce these results? Second, is there anything more I can do to get Fox? TV Fool makes it seem as if I should be able to get it with the monster of an antenna I have on my roof now. I can PM you the link to the radar picture since I'm too new to post links in here.

TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
azusaguy:
Looks like you do have a problem:
Here's my best guess of your TVFool TV Signal Analysis[/URL] based on 10 miles at 8 degrees magnetic to the main transmitters on Bigelow Mt. I suspect you're getting KGUN, KOLD and PBS from their repeaters on Tumamoc Hill and Tower Peak, about 15 and 20 miles respectively WSW of you. What PBS subchannels do you get in addition to the HD one? KUAS on Tumamoc has Kids and World; KUAT on Bigelow has V-Me and Encore.

KVOA (NBC) has a repeater on Tumamoc as well but it's on channel 4 so your flat panel indoor antenna isn't going to cut it. You need an antenna that can receive low VHF, unless you can get enough signal from the main transmitter on Bigelow, which is on channel 23. Sadly, KMSB (Fox) doesn't have a repeater.

BTW, you didn't mention KWBA (CW) but they're about 35 miles south of you. Despite the distance they should be easy to get.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azusaguy View Post
First, does anyone know why the preamp would produce these results? Second, is there anything more I can do to get Fox? TV Fool makes it seem as if I should be able to get it with the monster of an antenna I have on my roof now. I can PM you the link to the radar picture since I'm too new to post links in here.
I'm not an engineer, but based on my own experience with amplified reception, I would bet that you're getting signal overload with the amplifier. At 10 miles, you're way too close to the towers to need an amplifier.

As for KMSB channel 11, here is the station's signal contour, from RabbitEars:

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1069565&map=Y

Depending on where you live in NE Tucson, you could be terrain blocked. Mounting the antenna higher could help. Or not. I get channel 11 at night from time to time in Chandler. Go figure.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think there's definitely some terrain maskin going on, which I guess shouldn't be surprising given how many land masses are between my house and the tower. The antenna is at least 30 feet of the ground, so I'm not sure going any higher would help. But it might. As soon as I'm allowed to I'm going to post all my radar graphs for communal ingestion and help.

Does anyone know if Fox is planning to erect a repeater any time soon?

Also, is it odd I can't get the CW? My understanding is the Winegard 8200U is one of the best OTA antennas out there and should pick up the signal. Again, i wish I could post links so you could see where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
Quote:
I'm not an engineer, but based on my own experience with amplified reception, I would bet that you're getting signal overload with the amplifier. At 10 miles, you're way too close to the towers to need an amplifier.

As for KMSB channel 11, here is the station's signal contour, from RabbitEars:

Depending on where you live in NE Tucson, you could be terrain blocked. Mounting the antenna higher could help. Or not. I get channel 11 at night from time to time in Chandler. Go figure.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Channel 13 and Subs

Is anyone in Northeast Tucson having problems getting signal on channel 13 and its subs.Previous to the rain here my signal was perfect and after, nothing.I posted to KOLD's facebook page and they did have an outage Sunday,however they are supposed to be back up yet I have rescanned several times and there is no signal. Nothing has changed with my rooftop antenna and all other stations are crystal clear. Thanks,and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:19 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
azusaguy:
I agree with dhett that preamp overload is the most likely reason you get fewer channels with it than without it but there are a few other things to check. Make sure the antenna and TV cables are going to the right connectors on the amp and that the amp's power supply is also connected in the right direction and getting power. You could try the amp with and without the supply plugged in to see if there's a difference; if not, the supply may be bad.

You could add an attenuator between the antenna and the amp to see if you can find a sweet spot where the amp helps without overloading. However, I suspect you'll find it works best without the amp at all.

If you're very close to the mountains you might have to point the antenna up toward the transmitters rather than horizontal. That might be difficult; most mountings don't allow for that.

The reason you can't get the CW station is that the antenna is very directional and that transmitter is south of you. But if you point the antenna south you'll probably lose all of your other channels (unless you're lucky enough to get a bounce off of some large object to the south). But almost any UHF antenna should be able to get it so try whatever antenna you were using before. If it works by itself, try coupling it into the main antenna feed to the TV.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Copy all. Definitely a lot of potential variables here. Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
azusaguy:
I agree with dhett that preamp overload is the most likely reason you get fewer channels with it than without it but there are a few other things to check. Make sure the antenna and TV cables are going to the right connectors on the amp and that the amp's power supply is also connected in the right direction and getting power. You could try the amp with and without the supply plugged in to see if there's a difference; if not, the supply may be bad.

You could add an attenuator between the antenna and the amp to see if you can find a sweet spot where the amp helps without overloading. However, I suspect you'll find it works best without the amp at all.

If you're very close to the mountains you might have to point the antenna up toward the transmitters rather than horizontal. That might be difficult; most mountings don't allow for that.

The reason you can't get the CW station is that the antenna is very directional and that transmitter is south of you. But if you point the antenna south you'll probably lose all of your other channels (unless you're lucky enough to get a bounce off of some large object to the south). But almost any UHF antenna should be able to get it so try whatever antenna you were using before. If it works by itself, try coupling it into the main antenna feed to the TV.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Copy all. Definitely a lot of potential variables here. Thanks for the feedback, folks.
I just got home and noticed the wind rotated the antenna. The mounting brackets on the side of the house don't quite tighten enough to prevent the beast from turning in the wind apparently. I need to add some friction between the pipe and the brackets to prevent that from happening again. Any suggestions of material to use to wedge between the u bolts and the pipe to create a good amount of friction?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Ok, I can finally post links. Not sure if this info changes anything already discussed, but I'm open to any new suggestions this may draw out. Thanks in advance.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c156908d293eb
Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Fox is planning to erect a repeater any time soon?
Fox has no control over the station. It is owned by Sander Broadcasting, which is likely a puppet owner for Gannett, and is operated by Raycom out of the KOLD studios. Back in the analog days when KMSB had its antenna down near Green Valley (from when it was licensed to Nogales) channel 11 maintained a translator on channel 50 from Mt. Bigelow, but since moving its signal to Bigelow, it turned in its ch 50 license, so I don't see KMSB ever getting a translator.

Quote:
Also, is it odd I can't get the CW? My understanding is the Winegard 8200U is one of the best OTA antennas out there and should pick up the signal. Again, i wish I could post links so you could see where I am.
I don't think it's odd at all, since KWBA's signal doesn't originate from Mt. Bigelow or Tower Peak like all the others do. KWBA is licensed to Sierra Vista, so their tower is located SE of Tucson in the Santa Rita mountains. You could be experiencing a whole different set of terrain blockage issues.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone. Got it all sorted out and even get CW at night! It's too bad I can't get Fox, but I'll keep exploring the options.