Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3770 Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Student of A/V
I am not far from your location(Cortaro & Silverbell), I received both PBS(Ch 28) and WB (Ch 54) very well. I have the DirecTV RCA DTC-100 and Hughes HD-86 using two Zenith Silver Sensor antennas on the roof and both receivers are working fine (however I think the RCA is better for over-the-air broadcasts). BTW, why are you considering Comcast since DirecTV is able to receive locals in our area? In any case, good luck with your HD viewing!

I didn't get DirecTV because I don't have a clear shot at Southeast (a hill). This is why I am concerned about "seeing" the HD channels. Your location is a bit more free and clear than mine, unfortunately.

EJ

EJ

"The existence of a hobby, by definition, precludes sensicality."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3770 Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
EJ,

You might want to have a site survey done. For those of us in Tucson, the dish is pointing pretty much due south to pick up all three birds. I think that unless that hill is right up against your house, you should be ok to use DirecTV.

Tony
post #93 of 3770 Old 08-27-2003, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the message board has been somewhat dead since the Aspen fire. Does anyone have any new information about "going-live" dates for KGUN, KOLD, KVOA, and FOX?

Eric
post #94 of 3770 Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Hello All-

Checked in with TRICO Electric about power on the mountain. The Mt. Lemmon substation manager told me that grid power had been completely restored to the mountain, including Mt. Bigelow.

Sent a note off to Ralph Turk (KVOA Chief Engineer) and he responded with the following...

Power is back and we hope to have SD digital up next week. HDTV to follow
but no firm date yet. Waiting for a server.
R.S.Turk, C.E.

Unquote

Since KVOA shares the antenna combiner with KMSB/KOLD/KTTU, they should be coming on line soon as well. Looks like things are rolling again.

Kirk
post #95 of 3770 Old 09-12-2003, 10:32 PM

cbs 13-1 is up for kold tonight , but it is experiencing several audio drop-outs here with a signal of 99-100 on csi miami.
post #96 of 3770 Old 09-12-2003, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 109
No Joy tonight (Fri).
post #97 of 3770 Old 09-15-2003, 05:22 PM

OK, here's what I'm seeing with the DT transmission system in Tucson now
(using a Samsung SIR-T160)

KVOA/NBC-4

4-1 KVOA-HD Signal Level 100% showing SD Dr Phil
4-2 KVOA-SD1 Signal Level 100% showing SD Dr Phil
4-3 KVOA-SD2 Signal Level 100% showing SD placard

KUAT/PBS-6

6-1 KUAT-HD Signal Level 54%-63% showing HD PBS Demo Loop

KMSB/Fox-11

11-1 KMSB-HD Signal Level 0%

KOLD/CBS-13

13-1 KOLD-HD Signal Level 0%-36% No Picture

KTTU/UPN-18

18-1 KTTU-HD Signal Level 100% showing SD regular programming

Kirk
post #98 of 3770 Old 09-15-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. Things are looking up

Why is 4-1 KVOA-HD showing 4:3 format and 4-2 KVOA-SD1 showing stretched 16:9? Is that strange? On 4-3 I see a dark skycam image in 16:9 plus the regular audio. Can't wait to see if Leno is in HD tonight!

I certainly didn't expect to see KTTU-DT. Does this mean they will show Enterprise? I can toss DScaler!

KOLD gave me problems with my PC HD tuner, so I won't try them again until they fix their signal.
post #99 of 3770 Old 09-15-2003, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Darn! I was really hoping KVOA was going to pass the HD network feed. Leno was only in upconverted SD. Someone wake me when one of the major networks start showing true HD. Thanks.
post #100 of 3770 Old 09-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As of Monday, four local network affiliate stations had begun launching their digital television transmissions. Making the upgrades were NBC affiliate KVOA, CBS affiliate KOLD and the local FOX and UPN stations.

AZStarnet has an article on the launch today of the new tower

DOH!.. Did I do that?
post #101 of 3770 Old 09-19-2003, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Someone wake me when one of the major networks start showing true HD

Is is true that the stations are coming on-line with OTA-HD but no actual HD programming??

I guess I'll put my STB purchase on hold for a while longer...
post #102 of 3770 Old 09-19-2003, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far, they don't seem to have the equipment to pass through the HD feed. So it's all upconverted SD for now. I have a call into KVOA on this very subject.

What I did find out in general from an Engineer at KTTU, is the following, regarding Bigalow stations:

CH13/4/18/11 are all on same digital tower. CH 4 has their analog tower there too. CH9 might build a new digital tower, but for now is planning to side mount their digital antenna on their analog tower if it holds the weight. They may have to build another tower. They will use a Solid State transmiter. However, their Oct 1st date won't be made. It's more going to be like the 1st of the year. They have their transmitter on the mountain, but it is not even installed yet. The University has their own tower for KUAS. The only real HD from the mountain so far.

FOX was to go live at same time as UPN, but still had some paperwork trouble with the FCC. They are expected to go live in a week. They should be using the 720p format.

UPN does not currently have any HD programming to pass thru to their HD signal, so it will be all upconverted SD for a while. Regarding Enterprise's 16:9 within a 4:3 within a HD 16:9 signal - this will stay the same, as all they do is pass thru what they get from the network feed. They will not expand this to full screen. Apparently, it is in 16:9 but not an HD program.

I asked why the upconverted UPN signal looked so much better than CBS or NBC upconverted material. He said they use different equipment and is probably better. He was also very pleased to hear that and was going to tell the other stations to get with it. You might notice that UPN is exceedingly sharp (almost HD like) compared to the fuzzy upconverted stuff on CBS/NBC.

He could not tell me why CBS has such a strange signal and dropouts. I leave that for someone who can get through to them to find out. Meantime, I'll wait to hear from KVOA.

Carey
post #103 of 3770 Old 09-19-2003, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I took a look one night this week at KOLD and was surprised to see what appeared to be HD in the 9-10pm block. I think the program is called Judging Amy? Geometry/aspect ratio was correct and looked good...when it was not breaking up. Did anyone else take a closer/longer look at this?

Has anybody tried to catch the weekly football on KOLD CBS-HD?
post #104 of 3770 Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talked to the guy who supposedly knows what's going on there. He says they still need a Time Delay Server to re-broadcast HD signals sent from the network. NBC won't delay it for them.

Until then, they will not pass HD signals as they come across (3 hrs earlier) for regular HDTV shows. This is to follow FCC guidelines. If there is some special event like a parade or something, which is normally shown real time, then they will pass it through to their HD channel - *IF* the network sends it to them.

He said the TDS is in their budget for this year and he doesn't know what make or model will be chosen yet. He expects it to be installed by end of year.

He had no clue what CBS is doing and whether they were getting one of these as well, or have the network delay the programming for them. He also indicated the stretched 4:3 signal on the KVOA-SD channel was not to be that way eventually.
post #105 of 3770 Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just caught a few minutes of King of Queens in glorious HD on KOLD-DT!
Wow, did it look nice on a 9ft screen . My jaw dropped to the floor. My wife freaked out! Incredible to see a real life show in HD, instead of some PBS documentary.

Apparently they must have their Time Delay equipment or else the network delayed it for them. In any case, they seem to be still testing their equipment, as it quickly went to some other 4:3 news broadcast after that, and the audio went dead and the signal went to half power. Oh well.

Sure was an exciting few minutes though. At least we got a glimpse of what's in store for us soon.
post #106 of 3770 Old 10-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Hi guys, I could use some assistance. I just received my Sony HD300 and have it all hooked up. Could someone let me know where I can find the local stations in Tucson? I am using a Silver Sensor antenna. I was able to get 13.1, 18.1, 27.1, 58.1. I couldn't find 4 KVOA, 9 KGUN or 11 KNSB.

Thanks,
Steve
post #107 of 3770 Old 10-09-2003, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check antennaweb.org. It's all there. KVOA-DT is CH 23 (-1,-2,-3). KMSB-DT or KGUN-DT is not live yet (pay no attention to antennaweb predictions or status).
post #108 of 3770 Old 10-09-2003, 06:51 PM

Carey,
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Your "Yikes!" post gave me goosebumps.

Steve,
What part of town are you in? I'm still nervous about plunking down $1K for STB, antenna, rotor, preamp, etc. only to find that I can't get anything because I'm tucked up against the mountains in North Central Foothills.

Dave
post #109 of 3770 Old 10-09-2003, 10:15 PM

Carey thanks for the information!

Dave I am located in North Central Foothills also. The inexpensive Silver Sensor does a pretty good job. I think I have found all of the signals that are available except KVOA. I might be pointing in the wrong direction?? I have to say that HD programing (when you can find it) is pretty amazing

Steve
post #110 of 3770 Old 10-09-2003, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just watched CSI and Without a Trace in glorious HD! Except for the occasional signal dropout which was kind of annoying. Anyone else get those too or is it just me? I otherwise receive the station at 58 to 64% which is stronger than any of the others from the same location. The sound and lipsync was excellent, however. And the commercials were not twice as loud like on KTTU-DT.
post #111 of 3770 Old 10-16-2003, 03:43 PM

I have been successful in finding all of the local digital stations (4.1, 6.1, 13.1, 18.1, 58.1 etc.), but I can't locate KNSB channel 11. My HD300 locates channel 11.1 but I am unable to get any kind of signal. I thought that KNSB was transmitting from the same location as 4 and 13. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve
post #112 of 3770 Old 10-16-2003, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is a much weaker station than most of the others. From where you're located, your better off getting their sister station KUAS-DT on the west side (WSW from you). Check antennaweb for pointing direction. I believe it contains the same programming (mostly HD demo stuff). Good luck.
post #113 of 3770 Old 10-16-2003, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carey P
It is a much weaker station than most of the others. From where you're located, your better off getting their sister station KUAS-DT on the west side (WSW from you). Check antennaweb for pointing direction. I believe it contains the same programming (mostly HD demo stuff). Good luck.

You have your stations confused. KMSB-TV is the Fox affiliate (analog 11/digital 25). KUAS-TV, a PBS station, is NOT their "sister". Perhaps you had KUAT-TV (analog 6/digital 30) in mind.

John Folsom
Retired Broadcast Engineer
post #114 of 3770 Old 10-16-2003, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I stand corrected. I was thinking KUAT-DT. KMSB-DT is not even on the air yet. It's time I got some more sleep .
post #115 of 3770 Old 10-17-2003, 09:17 PM

Carey - Thanks for the information. However, are you sure that KMSB-DT is not on the air yet? Their web site says they have been on the air for about one month. But since I can't find their signal, I am beginning to wonder. If anyone is receiving KMSB-DT I would appreciate knowing what direction your antenna is pointed!

Thanks,

Steve
post #116 of 3770 Old 10-17-2003, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As I said in my earlier post, KMSB is on the same tower as KOLD, KVOA, and KTTU. If you can get those and not KMSB, then it's a good bet they are not transmitting. I was told they went on the air for a few moments over a month ago when UPN went live, but had to shut down due to some FCC paper work problems. They were expected to be back on by now, so keep an eye out. They will broadcast in 720p.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know if you or anyone else is seeing the same signal dropouts and audio glitches on KOLD-DT. They happen about 4 or 5 times per hour. I'm going to try a different antenna soon to see if it's just me, but I don't see the same thing with the other channels. It's just that KOLD is finally showing all the HD shows, so I'm anxious to get a stable signal.

Carey
post #117 of 3770 Old 10-19-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Carey P
Meanwhile, I'd like to know if you or anyone else is seeing the same signal dropouts and audio glitches on KOLD-DT. They happen about 4 or 5 times per hour. I'm going to try a different antenna soon to see if it's just me, but I don't see the same thing with the other channels. It's just that KOLD is finally showing all the HD shows, so I'm anxious to get a stable signal.

Carey

I heard from Chuck Amy the other day that they are working with an engineer to solve the dropout problems. Also, that they will be fixing the live sports sound problem. He did not give a timetable for these solutions other than "soon". It appears KOLD is at the mercy of the traveling engineer they've contracted with and are trying to get thinks in order. I also asked that the "bug" be toned down and he stated he would see about that. The last time I looked, it appeared the "bug" had gone away(Thur. evening).

It looks like they went down Fri. so I'm hoping that when they come back, things will have improved.

Tony
post #118 of 3770 Old 10-19-2003, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony,

Thanks for the report. If you're talking about that KOLD icon in the lower left, I was glad to see that gone too. The CBS watermark on the right is certainly sufficient. Thanks for telling them about that.

Last night I didn't see one real dropout during 2 1/2 hours watching, so they must have improved something. Only saw two "digital" glitches the whole time.

I never paid attention to the "live" audio dropouts, but they still have some serious dropouts on commercials, and many little short audio dropouts on programs. These are mostly noticeable during music or other continuous sounds. Once they get that licked we can work on them to equalize the volume on commercials! Then we'll have perfection .

Carey
post #119 of 3770 Old 10-26-2003, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like KMSB-DT FOX is finally back up (11-1). They also have the strongest signal (from my location, anyway).
post #120 of 3770 Old 10-27-2003, 04:18 PM

Just made the plunge with OTA HDTV receiver. Everything works great, PBS has a beautiful signal. Was all set to watch the CBS HD NFL game Sunday (Jets vs. Eagles) but the signal I got on the CBS HD channel in Tucson was a 4:3 signal with sidebars. Does anyone know if the Tucson CBS HD channel is really HD or just a digital re-broadcast of standard def. I know my receiver is working because I pick up the PBS HD feed perfect in 16:9. The CBS web site indicates that this game was supposed to be in HD. Thanks for your help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page