Tucson, AZ - HDTV - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 3770 Old 12-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
gworkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For important shows, you could record both the satellite feed and the OTA feed. When you feel comfortable that OTA will not fail you, you can skip that practice. You should notice a tremendous improvement on picture quality when recording OTA.
gworkman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 3770 Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Azwldcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRSW View Post

FYI:

Comcast added the WB HD channel today on channel 214 on the cable box.

For the people that Have QAM cable capable tuners it is on 114.3

And Cox added it on 708
Azwldcats is offline  
post #1353 of 3770 Old 12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Member
 
PixelFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I read through some lengthy posts in this thread and still have a few questions:

Is ABC and NBC HD available OTA even though they are holding out against Cox and Comcast? (I think so, but please reassure me)

If I have DirecTV and live on the South end of Houghton Rd (new Pulte development between Civano and Mesquite Ranch), will I be able to simply get the "included" HD antenna that clips to my dish and get the locals? (I think so again...)

If both of those are true, I can't find any reason why I wouldn't just get the HD Tivo from D*TV and get the locals OTA - I only have one HD tv and can move the SD Tivo into the bedroom at that point...

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,
Pixel
PixelFreak is offline  
post #1354 of 3770 Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
gworkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Mesquite Ranch, one block north of Valencia off Hougton. With an indoor antenna, I'm getting all local HD with an indoor antenna. I'm having an outdoor antenna installed because, occasionally, when somebody walks past the antenna the signal drops out briefly. Antennaweb shows us not getting KWBA, yet it is my strongest signal. You should have no problems getting OTA reception. The "included" antenna may not be the best, I've never had luck with Terk. You can try different antennas from Best Buy or Walmart. If they don't work, just return them.

By the way...yes...ABC and NBC are available OTA (as are Fox, PBS, CBS, ABC and WB). You will get the digital version of UPN 18, no HD but good PQ.
gworkman is offline  
post #1355 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Newbie
 
cesomerville's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel 210 if you have a set top box or DVR, and 89.1 if you have a digital cable compatible TV.

Steve Somerville
KGUN-TV/DT
cesomerville is offline  
post #1356 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coyoteaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesomerville View Post

Channel 210 if you have a set top box or DVR, and 89.1 if you have a digital cable compatible TV.

Steve Somerville
KGUN-TV/DT

Well, that's excellent news for all parties involved.
I'm curious which side caved in. Did Comcast decide to fork over the cash that KGUN wanted, or did KGUN decide that it was better to have more viewers not paying than less viewers not paying?
coyoteaz is offline  
post #1357 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
RJRSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesomerville View Post

Channel 210 if you have a set top box or DVR, and 89.1 if you have a digital cable compatible TV.

Steve Somerville
KGUN-TV/DT

Just checked and 210 has just added itself to the cable box in time for the Rose Bowl Game in HD (Great Picture in 720p) and I was able to also get it on 89.1, and now I can start watching some shows on KGUN 9 again!
RJRSW is offline  
post #1358 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Rory_Gilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Well, that's excellent news for all parties involved.
I'm curious which side caved in. Did Comcast decide to fork over the cash that KGUN wanted, or did KGUN decide that it was better to have more viewers not paying than less viewers not paying?

That KGUN rolled over doesn't make sense, because then why would they keep Cox from carrying it as well?

Fellow Cox users, please come out in force now and if you don't post here a lot or ever, please post now.

I worked very hard to get the WB on Cox (and Comcast followed) and now I'm sick to my stomach that KGUN/ABC has been able to work out a deal with Comcast and Cox subscribers have neither Fox nor ABC.

We have to write letters or maybe consider calling in and telling them we're going to OTA and satellite. They need to hear from us now.

To this point, no Cox executive has EVER sent me a personal reply to any question. This is unacceptable, people. KVOA/NBC is the lowest rated major channel and with Comcast having everything but them, it's only a matter of time before KVOA decides they have to get on the bandwagon or risk losing the viewers they do have. They have a high rated news broadcast and that will dwindle if they hold out too long. But they are much more inclined to work something out with Comcast where they have competition, while knowing that Cox doesn't have much.

I tried to e-mail a Mr. Nicholson, the GM at KMSB/Fox, and the e-mail was returned as an unknown user. So the GM of a major affiliate has an unworking e-mail posted on his own station's website. I called and he did not return my call.

An e-mail from someone much lower at KMSB was rude and unhelpful but said they wanted Cox to carry them, but "financial reasons" were the issue placed their by Cox. Is he telling the truth? The great thing about the GM at the WB was her willingness to tell their viewers what was going on, so we knew the issues and that put a lot of pressure on Cox when they started getting letters. KMSB doesn't seem to want to help.

But I did some research and KMSB is owned by Belo, Inc. This same company owns the WB affiliate in Phoenix and they "somehow" had no trouble reaching an agreement with Cox to broadcast their HD signal there. Furthermore, Belo is also IN A PARTNERSHIP with Cox in owning a channel in the Phoenix area called the Family Channel, I believe it's called. So, Belo and Cox own a channel together and had no problem getting an agreement for their other Arizona station (the WB in Phoenix) to be broadcast on Cox (their partners) in Phoenix. Yet they can't make a deal in Tucson? Please.

We Cox customers are really getting the shaft and it's just not right. I know some people don't care or might have Comcast already or just use OTA and are not affected by any of this, but we could really use all of the HD communities support here in trying to get this resolved.

If anyone is willing to write letters to Ms. Doris again at Cox, please do so and post that you will or any suggestions or even support here because I do know that KGUN people, at the very least, read this forum.

Sorry for venting. Thanks for all of your help and support.
Rory_Gilmore is offline  
post #1359 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Member
 
AZ_ST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I've been lurking the Tucson board for awhile, but now I have a question or two. I'm in Rita Ranch and have a Silver Sensor antenna going into a DTV HR10-250 for receiving local HD. However, I cannot seem to get all the channels in with a single antenna position.

With Antenna pointed North

Strong Signal: 4.1, 6.1-6.5, 9.1, 11.1, 18.1, 58.1

Weak Signal:13.1, 13.3, 18.1

No Signal: 27.1

With Antenna pointed East

Strong Signal: 4.1. 6.1-6.5, 13.1, 18.1

Weak Signal: 9.1, 11.1

No Signal: 27.1, 58.1

With the Antenna pointed halfway between the two (i.e. NE) I can sometimes get all channels (except 27.1 which appears to be S - SE based) but 9.1, 11.1 and 13.1 are easily interferred with, even if someone just walks across the room.

My questions are:

1. Should I be able to get all channels with the Silver Sensor antenna?

2. Will putting up and external antenna resolve this issue, or will I always have to deal with some sort of directional trade-offs?

Thanks all, the current setup makes trying to Tivo HD locals a bit of crapshoot. I pity the fool who has to explain to his wife why Lost didn't record or is dropping out b/c he forgot to change the antenna direction.

Sean
AZ_ST is offline  
post #1360 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
RJRSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My son has been getting the runaround for about a year from Cox. He has been trying to get them to honor the FCC mandate and get the firewire active on his PVR with no luck. Has anyone out there managed to get a PVR (SA Model 850 I think) that has a active firewire connection? It appears the people at Cox really could care less about the HD subscribers.
RJRSW is offline  
post #1361 of 3770 Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
adash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 85710
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Sean and welcome to the board. Since you have been lurking I'm sure you know about antenna web

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

It is the best way to see what your antenna options are for your location. Also some people have had luck mounting the antenna in a crawspace or attic. If you live in an adobe home you may need to go with a roof or outdoor antenna as they are prone to interference.

Good Luck
Austin aka
adash66


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ST View Post

Hi All, I've been lurking the Tucson board for awhile, but now I have a question or two. I'm in Rita Ranch and have a Silver Sensor antenna going into a DTV HR10-250 for receiving local HD. However, I cannot seem to get all the channels in with a single antenna position.

With Antenna pointed North

Strong Signal: 4.1, 6.1-6.5, 9.1, 11.1, 18.1, 58.1

Weak Signal:13.1, 13.3, 18.1

No Signal: 27.1

With Antenna pointed East

Strong Signal: 4.1. 6.1-6.5, 13.1, 18.1

Weak Signal: 9.1, 11.1

No Signal: 27.1, 58.1

With the Antenna pointed halfway between the two (i.e. NE) I can sometimes get all channels (except 27.1 which appears to be S - SE based) but 9.1, 11.1 and 13.1 are easily interferred with, even if someone just walks across the room.

My questions are:

1. Should I be able to get all channels with the Silver Sensor antenna?

2. Will putting up and external antenna resolve this issue, or will I always have to deal with some sort of directional trade-offs?

Thanks all, the current setup makes trying to Tivo HD locals a bit of crapshoot. I pity the fool who has to explain to his wife why Lost didn't record or is dropping out b/c he forgot to change the antenna direction.

Sean

adash66 is offline  
post #1362 of 3770 Old 01-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Qwijib0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRSW View Post

My son has been getting the runaround for about a year from Cox. He has been trying to get them to honor the FCC mandate and get the firewire active on his PVR with no luck. Has anyone out there managed to get a PVR (SA Model 850 I think) that has a active firewire connection? It appears the people at Cox really could care less about the HD subscribers.


I got mine turned on last summer. Took about 3 calls to get done. The thing I found out is that you can't mention computers or firewire when asking about it, because they say they don't support it. On the 3rd try, I said I had a DVHS deck I was trying to connect to the 1394 port, and the next day it was active.

Don't know if it was the magic words, or I finally got a rep who understood, but keep calling is all I can say.

edit: didn't notice the PVR part. to my knowlege, there is no working firewire firmware for them.
Qwijib0 is offline  
post #1363 of 3770 Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
RJRSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post

I got mine turned on last summer. Took about 3 calls to get done. The thing I found out is that you can't mention computers or firewire when asking about it, because they say they don't support it. On the 3rd try, I said I had a DVHS deck I was trying to connect to the 1394 port, and the next day it was active.

Don't know if it was the magic words, or I finally got a rep who understood, but keep calling is all I can say.

edit: didn't notice the PVR part. to my knowlege, there is no working firewire firmware for them.

He originally got the standard HD boxes firewire turned on and it worked with his D-VHS recorder but then he switched to the PVR box and it has the firewire but he cannot get them to activate it.
RJRSW is offline  
post #1364 of 3770 Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
sytyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Goodyear, Az.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post

edit: didn't notice the PVR part. to my knowlege, there is no working firewire firmware for them.

RJRSW,

I am quite certain the above is your answer, at least, that is also what I have heard about the firewire.

Regards,

Rich
sytyguy is offline  
post #1365 of 3770 Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coyoteaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By law, cable companies only have to provide one box that supports firewire, of their choosing. In this part of the country (Phoenix/Tucson), Cox will only activate firewire on the SA3250HD (or 3100HD if you were one of the unlucky suckers on the beta test). I ended up having to do the exact same thing as Qwijib0 said to get mine activated, but it was eventually done.
coyoteaz is offline  
post #1366 of 3770 Old 01-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Member
 
jgleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Well, that's excellent news for all parties involved.
I'm curious which side caved in. Did Comcast decide to fork over the cash that KGUN wanted, or did KGUN decide that it was better to have more viewers not paying than less viewers not paying?

Just saw a note in the paper that KGUN's ownership recently changed. Maybe that had something to do with the decision. Now if we can just get KVOA on Comcast we'll be set. They're really going to be hurting now since all the other channels are up, even UPN and WB.
jgleigh is offline  
post #1367 of 3770 Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Member
 
bigbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marana Arizona
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgleigh View Post

Just saw a note in the paper that KGUN's ownership recently changed. Maybe that had something to do with the decision. Now if we can just get KVOA on Comcast we'll be set. They're really going to be hurting now since all the other channels are up, even UPN and WB.

I have been saying I will switch from Directv to comcast when they have all the local digital channels.. Maybe I will really have to decide soon.. Wonder how long KVOA will hold out.
bigbw is offline  
post #1368 of 3770 Old 01-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Member
 
AzRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tucson - near Sabino Canyon
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's GREAT news for Comcast subscribers that KGUN 9 is finally broadcast in HD.

Now let's turn our attention to KVOA.

Please write to Gary Nielsen, General Manager of KVOA, at

GNielsen@KVOA.com

They are the last of the networks to be broadcast in HD on Comcast. Am I going to switch from my Comcast DVR/HD box at 10:00 pm to my antenna to watch KVOA news? I don't think so!

He needs to know they will be losing viewers. I've even started calling some of the big local advertisers like Jim Click to tell them I won't be watching KVOA any longer because of their refusal to make a deal with Comcast. I guess this gets my "rebellious 1970's protest genes" all stirred up.

Richard
AzRich is offline  
post #1369 of 3770 Old 01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
adash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 85710
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW fellow Cox HD subs looks like the Super Bowl is on ABC this year. Unless you want to go to your friends place with Comcast or buy an OTA box which I did last year your only hope is to get on it:

" the high definition tier of Cox Cable sooner rather than later, please make your voice known. Send your pleas to Anne Doris at anne.doris@cox.com and Debbie.Cullen@cox.com "

You may want to CC: AStewart@kgun9.com and if you care about Fox during the playoffs try manager@kmsb.com

It only works if we all ask the squeaky wheel gets the HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_Gilmore View Post

That KGUN rolled over doesn't make sense, because then why would they keep Cox from carrying it as well?

Fellow Cox users, please come out in force now and if you don't post here a lot or ever, please post now.

I worked very hard to get the WB on Cox (and Comcast followed) and now I'm sick to my stomach that KGUN/ABC has been able to work out a deal with Comcast and Cox subscribers have neither Fox nor ABC.

We have to write letters or maybe consider calling in and telling them we're going to OTA and satellite. They need to hear from us now.

To this point, no Cox executive has EVER sent me a personal reply to any question. This is unacceptable, people. KVOA/NBC is the lowest rated major channel and with Comcast having everything but them, it's only a matter of time before KVOA decides they have to get on the bandwagon or risk losing the viewers they do have. They have a high rated news broadcast and that will dwindle if they hold out too long. But they are much more inclined to work something out with Comcast where they have competition, while knowing that Cox doesn't have much.

I tried to e-mail a Mr. Nicholson, the GM at KMSB/Fox, and the e-mail was returned as an unknown user. So the GM of a major affiliate has an unworking e-mail posted on his own station's website. I called and he did not return my call.

An e-mail from someone much lower at KMSB was rude and unhelpful but said they wanted Cox to carry them, but "financial reasons" were the issue placed their by Cox. Is he telling the truth? The great thing about the GM at the WB was her willingness to tell their viewers what was going on, so we knew the issues and that put a lot of pressure on Cox when they started getting letters. KMSB doesn't seem to want to help.

But I did some research and KMSB is owned by Belo, Inc. This same company owns the WB affiliate in Phoenix and they "somehow" had no trouble reaching an agreement with Cox to broadcast their HD signal there. Furthermore, Belo is also IN A PARTNERSHIP with Cox in owning a channel in the Phoenix area called the Family Channel, I believe it's called. So, Belo and Cox own a channel together and had no problem getting an agreement for their other Arizona station (the WB in Phoenix) to be broadcast on Cox (their partners) in Phoenix. Yet they can't make a deal in Tucson? Please.

We Cox customers are really getting the shaft and it's just not right. I know some people don't care or might have Comcast already or just use OTA and are not affected by any of this, but we could really use all of the HD communities support here in trying to get this resolved.

If anyone is willing to write letters to Ms. Doris again at Cox, please do so and post that you will or any suggestions or even support here because I do know that KGUN people, at the very least, read this forum.

Sorry for venting. Thanks for all of your help and support.

adash66 is offline  
post #1370 of 3770 Old 01-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Member
 
PixelFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It must be because of my location, but I just bought the HR10-250 Tivo from DirecTV and had it installed today - wow what a difference HD makes!

Aside from that, I was supposed to get their $49 antenna to be mounted at the same time for OTA HD channels (locals). They were out of the antenna, and I guess I am glad because the tech told me that the ones they install are crap unless you live in midtown around the UofA area. So, he credited my account the $50 back for the lack of installed antenna.

I figured I would do what the poster above did in Mesquite Ranch - so I went to Circuit City and bought a Terk HDTVi (not the best, but all they really had) and installed it inside, just sitting on my TV. Lo and behold, I get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS and even two in spanish (I think two) all in hi-def! I think I get either UPN or the WB as well, but not sure - I haven't finished playing around with it.

Aside from that, the picture on the HD channels is AMAZINGly clear - I am really glad I did this. I watched the last part of the Patriots beating the Bucs and it really amazed me that you could see the dirt and sweat on the individual player's jerseys. It was so clear, even my non-techie wife commented on how nice the TV looked. Her comment was "It's like you got glasses for the TV!"...she's mine - all mine.

Thought this would help for those that are thinking of jumping ship from DirecTV. Oh, forgot to add - while I was calling in to activate the HD-Tivo (I let the installer go once I got good signal), I mentioned I would really like to check out HBO or Showtime - she gave me Sho for six months FREE and HBO for $2/month for six months! Yeah, I am staying with them for quite some time now.

PixelFreak
PixelFreak is offline  
post #1371 of 3770 Old 01-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Member
 
REDHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelFreak View Post

I figured I would do what the poster above did in Mesquite Ranch - so I went to Circuit City and bought a Terk HDTVi (not the best, but all they really had) and installed it inside, just sitting on my TV. Lo and behold, I get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS and even two in spanish (I think two) all in hi-def! I think I get either UPN or the WB as well, but not sure - I haven't finished playing around with it.

Thought this would help for those that are thinking of jumping ship from DirecTV. Oh, forgot to add - while I was calling in to activate the HD-Tivo (I let the installer go once I got good signal), I mentioned I would really like to check out HBO or Showtime - she gave me Sho for six months FREE and HBO for $2/month for six months! Yeah, I am staying with them for quite some time now.

PixelFreak

Congrats on getting local digital via OTA. As for DirecTV, the offer you mentioned for HBO and Showtime is the current standing promotion and is available from Comcast as well. Plus with Comcast you can subscribe to Cinemax HD, and Starz HD. You also get TNT HD, InHD and InHD2, ESPN HD, Discovery HD, plus On Demand HD. Unfortunately for DirecTV, none of these are available, with the exception of Discovery and ESPN. Also for the HD channels that are available on DirecTV (ESPN, Discovery, HDnet, and Universal), you have to spend $11 extra. Not to mention a few hundred $$ for equipment and a minimum one year contract to get DirecTV.

Thats the hubbub ...
REDHEAD is offline  
post #1372 of 3770 Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Wolffpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHEAD View Post

Congrats on getting local digital via OTA. As for DirecTV, the offer you mentioned for HBO and Showtime is the current standing promotion and is available from Comcast as well. Plus with Comcast you can subscribe to Cinemax HD, and Starz HD. You also get TNT HD, InHD and InHD2, ESPN HD, Discovery HD, plus On Demand HD. Unfortunately for DirecTV, none of these are available, with the exception of Discovery and ESPN. Also for the HD channels that are available on DirecTV (ESPN, Discovery, HDnet, and Universal), you have to spend $11 extra. Not to mention a few hundred $$ for equipment and a minimum one year contract to get DirecTV.

Thats the hubbub ...

Does Comcast charge rent for the DVR's?
Wolffpack is offline  
post #1373 of 3770 Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
gworkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent the money to go to DirecTV as well. Just installed last week. Dish wouldn't give me the HDDVR for less than 699 and Cox has crap for HD locals. Some folks just don't have a choice! I am very happy with my Tivos and the ability, at last, to record HD. I wish Cox had gotten their act together.
gworkman is offline  
post #1374 of 3770 Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Member
 
lateralg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KMSB "Not locked"

I'm getting signal strength of 87, and message "off air signal lost" "Not Locked" on channel 011-01. And, of course, no picture.

DISH Player-DVR 942
Super Silver antenna.

I receive KGUN (9-1) just fine with signal strength of 83

What am I doing wrong that results in the "not locked" situation?

Green Valley in Winter.
Howell, MI in Summer
lateralg is offline  
post #1375 of 3770 Old 01-08-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Carey P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralg View Post

KMSB "Not locked"

I'm getting signal strength of 87, and message "off air signal lost" "Not Locked" on channel 011-01. And, of course, no picture.

DISH Player-DVR 942
Super Silver antenna.

I receive KGUN (9-1) just fine with signal strength of 83

What am I doing wrong that results in the "not locked" situation?

I've got the same problem using my Panasonic OTA tuner. This has happened a lot in the past, but even to a worse degree as it caused my plasma to reset its input back to VCR mode.

Funny that it doesn't affect my PC's tuner which uses the same antenna wire.
Carey P is offline  
post #1376 of 3770 Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Member
 
REDHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffpack View Post

Does Comcast charge rent for the DVR's?

Yes. There is a HD cable box for $5. And there is a dual tuner HD DVR for $9.95
There is no extra charge for HD channels. They are included in the digital cable package you subscribe to. (Except premiums- HBO, Showtime etc.)
REDHEAD is offline  
post #1377 of 3770 Old 01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Senior Member
 
gworkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Fox's issue is with PSIP. On my tuner, it shows as channel 25.3 OTA and doesn't map to 11.1 as it used to.
gworkman is offline  
post #1378 of 3770 Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Member
 
scottsfj40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just fired off another round of letters to the folks at Cox. I will be interested in seeing if I get any response at all.
scottsfj40 is offline  
post #1379 of 3770 Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
adash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 85710
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't stop sending those emails! Thanks for your support Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsfj40 View Post

I just fired off another round of letters to the folks at Cox. I will be interested in seeing if I get any response at all.

adash66 is offline  
post #1380 of 3770 Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworkman View Post

I think Fox's issue is with PSIP. On my tuner, it shows as channel 25.3 OTA and doesn't map to 11.1 as it used to.

Can you rephrase this into English please. I have also lost the Fox 11.1 signal even though the signal strength is high.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off