Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 3765 Old 03-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworkman View Post

Anyone here subscribe to MLB Extra Innings through Cox? Wondering if they black out the Padres games.

I think the rule is a 100 mile radius. I subscribed through DirecTV for years and they only blocked out Diamondback games. Like you wanted to see those lames anyway, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3765 Old 03-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Trust me...MLB rules are completely different than any other sport. Currently, Cox owns the rights for the Padres in Tucson. You cannot see any Padres games in Tucson with DirecTV or with MLB.TV. I'm just wondering if, because Cox owns the rights, do they allow the MLB EI games to be broadcast here.

I come from the home of MLB blackouts and proof that the rule is not 100 miles. In Las Vegas, the Giants, A's, Padres, Angels, Dodgers and Diamondbacks were all considered "In-Market". Because of this, all games involving those teams were blacked out on MLB-EI and MLB.TV. The only games we really got to see were the Dodgers and Angels on Fox Sports net and about 30 Diamondbacks games on a local independant channel.

I don't really care that much for the Padres...I'm a huge Giant's fan and guess who they open the season with???
post #1713 of 3765 Old 03-07-2006, 12:42 AM

What's really confusing, is a few years back when teh Dbacks were in the playoffs, Fox aired the Yankees game instead of the DBacks becuase they didn't consider Tucson as a local DBacks market.
post #1714 of 3765 Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries View Post

What's really confusing, is a few years back when teh Dbacks were in the playoffs, Fox aired the Yankees game instead of the DBacks becuase they didn't consider Tucson as a local DBacks market.

I remember that, too. It was a series against the Mets. I thought that had more to do with ESPN's belief that the millions of Yankee fans here outnumbered everyone else.

Being a long-time Mets fan, I drove to the game, as planned when the series was announced. Mets won that series.
post #1715 of 3765 Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 PM

Just did a scan on my tuner and found KVOA now has a sub channel. The compelling programming is....SD version of the regular channel.
post #1716 of 3765 Old 03-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Just did a scan on my tuner and found KVOA now has a sub channel. The compelling programming is....SD version of the regular channel.

And this is so upsetting, because I was so excited when they stopped that subchannel previously.

During the olympics many people in different markets were complaining about poor picture quality. These people were all in markets where NBC had a subchannel. I thought our picture during the olympics was very good.

I remember NASCAR was aweful with a subchannel on KVOA. When NASCAR on NBC and Sunday Night NFL starts up, this is going to really iritate me.

Subchannels don't seem to hurt regular TV as much, but they really hurt sports. Many people claim that CBS has the best football picture, but here with KOLD and the Tube, they don't have the best picture. At least the Tube isn't just a simulcast.
post #1717 of 3765 Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM

With NBC turning on 4.2 SD I wanted to ask the group their opinon of an SD simulcast.

For your own selfish reasons, would you rather have the 4.2 SD simulcast or only 4.1 HD? And why?

Thanks
post #1718 of 3765 Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM

I like what KOLD does with their subchannel. I think simulcasting is a waste of bandwidth. If you are using the digital signal and want to fill a 4:3 screen, use the zoom feature of your tuner. Don't need the NBC Weather channel. Watching a Tucson weather forecast canbe quite dull.
post #1719 of 3765 Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If KVOA could turn on their subchannel just for non-primetime or news broadcasts, I would be all for it. It makes no sense to have it on for HD programs.

My tuner can't stretch a digital signal, so this would be great for SD programs that are in 4:3 format. Though I'm over my fear of burn in, I still like to fill the 16:9 screen.
post #1720 of 3765 Old 03-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Here are some QAM numbers for the broadcast channels on Cox.
Billy

111-1 27.1
111-2 13.1

106-1 58.1

82-13 6.2 (SD)
82-14 6.4 (SD)
82-15 6.3 (SD)
post #1721 of 3765 Old 03-11-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Here are some QAM numbers for the broadcast channels on Cox.
Billy

111-1 27.1
111-2 13.1

106-1 58.1

82-13 6.2 (SD)
82-14 6.4 (SD)
82-15 6.3 (SD)

Sorry, but can you elaborate on what these are and what I can do with them? I am a disgruntled Cox customer suffering from a lack of ABC/FOX-HD.
post #1722 of 3765 Old 03-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0crast View Post

Sorry, but can you elaborate on what these are and what I can do with them? I am a disgruntled Cox customer suffering from a lack of ABC/FOX-HD.

You can tune those channels with a TV that has a built in QAM digital cable tuner without using the set top box. I use them for my TV Guide built into my Samsung DLP.

This won't help at all with the fact that Cox doesn't carry FOX, NBC, or ABC HD.
post #1723 of 3765 Old 03-12-2006, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Am I the only one getting absolutely 0 signal from KGUN-DT 9.1? Did the storm wipe out their transmitter? If so, I assume Comcast doesn't have a signal either.
post #1724 of 3765 Old 03-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

That is true, nothing on Comcast KGUN digital channel since yesterday sometime
post #1725 of 3765 Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM

The antennas appear to be covered in snow. Maybe its that special aluminium foil snow!
post #1726 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 AM

Where did they get their transmission EQ from...Walmart or E-Bay?
post #1727 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRSW View Post

That is true, nothing on Comcast KGUN digital channel since yesterday sometime

That's good news . . . sorta. I thought it was my antenna. The winds out here on Saturday were so strong it shifted my antenna from almost pointing due west to northwest. It's on a 30' pole anchored with cement in the ground, bolted to the eve of the house, secured with 3 guy wires. I thought it would survive a tornado . . .

Anyway, KMSB & KOLD actually come in a little stonger than before. But of course, no KGUN. Maybe the winds re-oreinted their antenna, like horizontally instead of vertical?

A dusting of snow on the ground here Sunday morning. OK, I've had my moment of glorious winter wonderland . . . I'm ready for spring!
post #1728 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:

With NBC turning on 4.2 SD I wanted to ask the group their opinon of an SD simulcast.

For your own selfish reasons, would you rather have the 4.2 SD simulcast or only 4.1 HD? And why?

Thanks

For my own selfish reasons I like it. Liked it when they did it before. I hadn't noticed it was back. I'd like to see kgun and kold do it, again for my own selfish reasons.
post #1729 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Where did they get their transmission EQ from...Walmart or E-Bay?

I remember when HDTV sets became widely available around the 2nd half of 2000. So we're almost 6 years after that, and its still a total experiment.

Content is atleast just becoming available, but it seems like the local stations have no idea what it is or how to use their equipment (this may be just a Tucson thing I guess).

The NBC feed randomly switches from SD to HD like there is an operator being paid $6 an hour to flip the switch from commercial to tv show, and he is falling asleep.

CBS can't seem to manage to even broadcast digitally for very long without total failure. Wow, I don't know of another industry where this kind of incompetence would be hapily overlooked.
post #1730 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 PM

My thoughts, exactly! There is not an issue keeping the analog station up, so why so many issues with the digital broadcast? Can you imagine these digitals being off the air for DAYS at a time when that is the station's only source of revenue?
post #1731 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM

All I can add is that being up in Phoenix I don't see those problems with NBC or CBS. Right now, other than a sometimes occuring audio 'click' when going from local commercials back to the HD network signal it's dependable.
post #1732 of 3765 Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It's entirely a problem of money. A full setup of equipment to do automated switching of HD video and 5.1 audio can run $30000+, and there is still little to no return on the DTV investment. Only 2 stations in Phoenix have the full setup, Fox and CBS. NBC is halfway there, and ABC forces 5.1 full-time and has manual switch flipping. WB goes into HD manually at the beginning of the night, and never cuts to local commercials at all. If a top-15 market doesn't have it working right, don't hold your breath on Tucson getting it until 2009 draws near.
post #1733 of 3765 Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

It's entirely a problem of money. A full setup of equipment to do automated switching of HD video and 5.1 audio can run $30000+, and there is still little to no return on the DTV investment.

I do believe you hit the nail on the head. I've never seen any statistics on what percentage of the population receives their television programming over-the-air, but I'd bet it's 10% or less & declining, and that includes both analog & digital. The cable & satellite companies have convinced the general population that it's "old fashioned" to use an antenna. Only very . . . frugal . . people are content with analog OTA, and only mostly tech savvy understand how good OTA digital TV is - or those who are stuck with a crap cable company that doesn't carry local HD.

When I bought my first HDTV in the fall of 2004 & living in Las Vegas I never gave a thought to using an antenna. I happily went along with Cox upping my monthly bill to over $100 to get HD programming. At least in LV Cox carried all the locals in HD
After football season was over however, I began to grow disgruntled at paying so much for so little and did some research. I put up an antenna up on my roof (with neighbors grumblin "ain't that kinda old fashioned?") and Voila! I had HD video quality at least as good as Cox and 5.1 digital audio for the first time! (Found later the Cox technician had hooked up the STB using analog RCA audio jacks.) I said Goodbye to Cox.

So, yeah, it must be a tough decision for local TV stations to invest in expensive digital broadcast equipment when so few make use of it. But if you're going to do something, do it right! Must be a tough choice for airline companies to invest in new equipment & technology, too. I sure wouldn't climb into an airplane owned & operated by KGUN!

After 2+ days of digital blackout, you would think KGUN would at least issue a statement what the problem is & when they expect to correct it????
post #1734 of 3765 Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinTucson View Post

Maybe the winds re-oreinted their antenna, like horizontally instead of vertical?

So are some antennas horizontal and some vertical? This might explain why 6 & 13 don't come in anywhere near as strong as 4 & 9 for me. Well, 9 doesn't work at all last I checked, but normally...

And if they are oriented differently, why? Whose bright idea was that?
post #1735 of 3765 Old 03-14-2006, 08:25 AM

9 was back on last night. Jimmy Kimmel was on my DVR. Hopefully, Boston Legal will be on (in HD) this tonight.
post #1736 of 3765 Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinTucson View Post

Maybe the winds re-oreinted their antenna, like horizontally instead of vertical?

So are some antennas horizontal and some vertical? This might explain why 6 & 13 don't come in anywhere near as strong as 4 & 9 for me. Well, 9 doesn't work at all last I checked, but normally...

And if they are oriented differently, why? Whose bright idea was that?

Guess you missed the joke...a tower would only be horizontal if it got knocked over.

Tucson stations have had plenty of problems in the past with the antennas icing up, and 18" of snow on Mt. Lemmon from that last storm means there has to be a decent amount of frozen stuff on Bigelow too.
post #1737 of 3765 Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Guess you missed the joke...a tower would only be horizontal if it got knocked over.

Tucson stations have had plenty of problems in the past with the antennas icing up, and 18" of snow on Mt. Lemmon from that last storm means there has to be a decent amount of frozen stuff on Bigelow too.

LOL... yeah, I completely missed that one.
post #1738 of 3765 Old 03-15-2006, 11:37 AM

I experienced tons of audio dropouts and video stutters on KGUN last night. It was horrendous during Boston Legal. Anybody else experience the same?
post #1739 of 3765 Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 AM

I have had the same problem for some time now using Comcast without a cable box. I talked to a KGUN engineer who claims that the problem lies with Comcast's equipment that is used to receive KGUN's signal. Give Comcast a call at 744-1900 and see if we can get something done.
Jim

Jim Sanchez - jim@jimsanchez.com
post #1740 of 3765 Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Hello all. I just joined the forum and have been reading it since late last week, when my Sharp LC-37DB5U arrived. KGUN has always given me the strongest analog signal where I am and until they went down during the storm, they had one of the strongest digital signals too (Albeit, only a short time for me!) Since they went down, I have been getting zero signal from them, even though I am getting mid 80s to mid 90s from the other stations transmitting from Bigelow. I can see the antennas from here directly with no obstructions. . Any suggestions, since apparently they are transmitting, though some poeple are still having problems? I've noticed in other threads that some outages can be tuner specific. Is there a specific engineer at KGUN who I should contact?

Thanks

Richard
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page