Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should be able to punch in 45.1 to get the station on that unit, but it may be easier to just do a channel search now that they are on and lock in all stations.

Ex: I still get 44's digital on 80.3 with my proscan while I believe you would get it on 41.1 or 44.1.

Hope this helps.

Also at this time I believe they are sending 480p, I realize that whats on right now isn't true FOX programming but we will have to see what happens later tonight.

You should be able to confirm this with the hd200 where as I can only assume since I am able to manipulate the Picture size under component out indicating 480p to me.

Wake me when HD gets Here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well as of Friday Night there was no pass thru of FOX Digital WIdescreen programming from FOX 56.

This sucks! If we have another station on our hands thats just gonna upconvert their signal I'm gonna hit the roof!

I really hope this is just beginning stages and not what is to become normal, we already have 2 other half-assed stations on our hands here doing the bare minimum! I mean whats the point, you cant see the damn digital signal without an HD RECEIVER anyway. Talk about a waste of money, these stations are putting out a straight digital signal and were all using HD boxes to get them, they have no clue!

Time for some calls already!

Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 PM

We definitely need to get things fixed. I can't even receive the signal. When I do a auto scan, it passes on channel 45 for a few seconds. It eventually skips over it though. Any idea on the power of their signal? Could it be lower since they are just testing right now? I am frustrated.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 AM

i've been too lazy to search for it yet, but you guys are scaring me.

I completely agree, if we have another case of low power, no pass through, i'm going to go ballistic!!!

I guess just another reason we can be thankful for WNEP!!!
dm
Old 09-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all,

Just to let you know I am in contact with people at FOX 56 today to see if I can get some concrete answers to these questions, I will post as I get them, Hang in there!

The signal is back on this morning so do a search and tell me your results so I may pass them on to FOX 56.

More to come,.......

See Ya

Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

FOX 56 UPDATE!

Well its not good news people,

FOX 56 will be transmitting an upconverted signal probably until sometime next year at the earliest. This means no FOX Digital Widescreen until that time.

They are currently working on the interference issues and may be cleared up as early as today. They will also be conducting test on the signal from different areas so reports from here will be helpful.

I have spoken with the chief ENG, directly and he gave me a lot of specifics as to why no pass thru of FOX, one of the main reasons is they are building a new digital studio and when thats completed FOX 720p will begin, again some time next year.

Once again all at FOX 56 have been extremely helpful, Nothing like WBRE, and WYOU, They called me! ( if that helps.)

I guess all we can do is continue to email our displeasure and call the viewer feedback line to let them know we want HD (1-800-221-9653).

I think this is an example of a station who wants our input, as compared to the other 2 who it seems sadly could care less. So lets help as we can.

Any other specifics ask away, And no i'm not happy either but at least I have answers from them.

STILL NOTHING FROM THE OTHER 2 AND I KNOW YOU READ THIS BOARD BY THE WAY!

See YA

Old 09-29-2003, 02:30 PM

Chez,

Your work is appreciated. I agree, even if its not the answers we're looking for, at least they want our input! It's alot better then our "friends" at WYOU and WBRE!!!

When i check out 10000watts website i see that

WNEP-DT (ch 49) is broadcasting @ 100kw
WBRE-DT (ch 11) is @ 30kw
WYOU-DT (ch 13) is @ 30kw

whats WOLF-DT (ch 45) power going to be???

its a real shame that wyou and wbre are 30% of WNEP!!!
It makes me mad just typing it. I guess I wouldn't be happy away if they broadcast at a higher power because they won't pass through a HDTV signal anyway!!!

dm
Old 10-21-2003, 04:11 PM

Great news today!!! I just called Adelphia and they will begin offering HD programming on November 1st. I had my name put on a list and supposedly they will come and install the new box and take my old digital box. The rep said that they just found out about this and they didn't have all of the details yet. I was told that we will get ABC, NBC (this I tried to get clarification on where this programming was coming from since WBRE does not carry HD, but the rep was unsure), WVIA, also if you subscribe to HBO and Showtime you can get an HBO and SHowtime in HD. I asked about ESPN HD and was told that ESPN and Discovery are on the coming soon list. The box rental will be $9 per month instead of the $3.50 that I pay now. What a great day for HD news in NEPA!!!! Thanks for the tip Chez!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 PM

My only concern with Adelphia right now is CBS or more the lack of it. CBS has the Superbowl this year so it is a MUST have be January. I was told December before we would see it here just the other day. I will have to call back tomorrow and get on the list.

Jeff

Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

An adelphia tip,

While this is indeed great news I shudder to think at why there is such an initial lack of HD programming, for the 9.00 a month. I realize that this is only beginning but with,
ESPN-HD
Discovery
HD-net
HDnet movies
HBO (East and West)
SHOW (East and West)
Comcast Sports Net
Fox sports
MSG
INHD 1&2
Bravo
Cinemax (11-12-03)
The Movie Channel (12-01-03)
Various HD PPV services
Starz HD (11-15-03)

Why is adelphia starting with Only......
ABC- (wnep available OTA)
PBS- (available OTA)

as the only two channels in their 9.00 a month line up.

Time to be a Beta tester on this one!

One great thing may come of this, it may now spur W( who cares about) YOU, and W (beyond R capabilities) E to get and HD signal on the air for them to retransmit!

We shall see! Good luck to all you A* subscribers hopefully you wont need it!

Old 10-23-2003, 10:19 AM

To further things along, I am on the official "waiting" list for HD. I'll more than likely call again in two weeks and ask some more questions as to what is going on. I hope to at that time to be able to get on the beta testers list, but that's a whole other challenge.

The only question I have is if Adelphia adds CBS and NBC, will they be the local or maybe Philly digital stations? Obviously, Philly is preferred. I think more time is needed before we get an answer on that.

For a FOX update, still nothing here. The signal is not strong enough to reach me where I am. I will not spend more money for a better antenna just to receive SD 4:3.

Jeff

Old 10-23-2003, 04:31 PM

Jeff,

I called Adelphia again and here's what I found out. They will not have NBC or CBS HD because they are over the limit as far as the rules go with obtaining programming from out of the market. This would be comparable to how we have channel 11 from Philly but some of the programming is blacked out because one of the locals Fox and WB carry the same progtam. It looks like until the Nexstar conglomerate gets off their butts we won't have NBC and CBS in HD. I was also told that the intial startup would only be WNEP and WVIA and then for extra it would be HBO and Showtime. I believe each premium is $5. The box rental will be $7.95 as opposed to the $3.50 that we pay. I believe we were actually paying $5 for the current box until the recent price adjustments that go into effect Nov. 1st. So $2.95 more and then if you want one of the premiums another $5. Not too bad. The way I look at it is that it's better than noting. Some HD on cable is better than none and now that they are started with it all they can do is add more. I was told that they are looking at ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD. Also from what the rep told me the first time I called they should also have 1 InDemand channel in HD. That's a start and a long way from where we were in June and July.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:23 PM

Jeff,

One more thing.....

I just noticed on the WNEP website under the digital discussion board that Dwight Joslin from Adelphia has posted that they are looking for testers so you may want to email him. He left his email address there. I believe it was dwight.joslin@adelphia.com.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:25 PM

I already did about an hour after he posted the message on the board. I didn't hear back yet though. Things seem to be falling into place now.

Jeff

Old 10-27-2003, 09:54 AM

I got an email back this morning from Dwight. I am going to be one of the testers for Adelphia's new HD service! There is no definite date yet as to when I will begin testing, just sometime in the first two weeks of November. And of course, I will report all my findings here.

Jeff

Old 10-28-2003, 04:22 PM

That's great news Jeff. I also receive the email and I will be testing as well. I'll also post any updates here once I receive the new receiver.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:03 AM

Well It looks like it's here!!!!!! HD on Adelphia! I checked this morning and there are 2 HD channels listed on the guide. The channels are in the 700's. There is PBSHD and SHOHD. From what I've heard they are waiting for the retransmission agreements on the others. Time to call and see about getting the new box. I'm not sure if there is programming being shown on there yet or if just the banners are up for the channels. We'll see.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:12 PM

Great news!!!! I was the first to get the new HD box for Adelphia HD. I guess being a pain in a** is a good thing sometimes. It's a Scientific Atlanta 3250. It's all hooked up. I'm just waiting for ShoHD and PBSHD to be turned on. I've been told it will be either today or by Monday. Other than that the SD picture quality is good and the digital channels are excellent as they always were. As soon as the HD goes on I'll post another update. I've also been told that they are waiting for the retransmission agreement from WNEP and that will be on the air as soon as they get that. Same goes for HBO which may be a little longer.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 PM

I wouldn't be so happy about the 3250. From what I can find, it isn't an HD box. Can you confirm that it is written somewhere on the box or in the literature? From what I found it can only receive transmissions up to 1.544 Mbps. That is nowhere near HD. I was under the impression that the box would be a Motorola DCT5100. One last thing, how did you get the box and who did you talk to. I haven't heard anything from Dwight yet.

Jeff

Old 11-07-2003, 01:42 PM

OK, I stand corrected. I found more info to prove me wrong. I guess the right question is, is the DVI and firewire active or even there?

Jeff

Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 PM

Just got off the phone with Mark. I will be picking up my box tomorrow morning. Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will also report back, but not until tomorrow night - have to work in the day.

Jeff

Old 11-09-2003, 10:39 AM

Well after some slight delays, things are up and running. Showtime looks great, even the upconverts. The picture shows no signs of pixelation or motion artifacts. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way after other HD channels are added.

As for the box itself, it's damn small. I would have to say that it is half the size of my Samsung T165. The interface is the same as there standard digital cable boxes, which looks like something from the mid 80s in my opinion but it works. The biggest let down for me is that the DVI is NOT active. I believe this is more of Scientific Atlanta's fault. I read somewhere here that a firmware upgrade would be available in the next month or so to active the DVI. I guess I can wait.

Adelphia, from my own experiences, has done a 180. I am amazed now how informative and friendly they have been on the phone and in person. Before I used to get the runaround when I asked questions they didn't know the answers to. Now, they ask me hold and find someone who can answer the question and then give me a straight forward answer. We may complain about the new higher rates, but we are definitely getting more. For the $10 more a month I pay now, I get the HD box, all non-premium HD channels, faster powerlink, and much better customer service. Adelphia, you've made good in my book!

Jeff

Old 11-09-2003, 01:09 PM

So far so good with HD. The picture on SHOHD is incredible. Also the digital audio is great too. I haven't experienced one problem since they turned it on. Hopefully PBS will be on tomorrow too. Once they put WNEP on I guess I'll be looking to sell my Samsung OTA box as well. Adelphia is doing great with this. At least we are not ending up with problems like I'm reading they are having in SoCal. Great Job Adelphia!!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:07 AM

Another update..... PBSHD came on last night and again the picture was great. It looked perfect and the quality was just as good as I was receiving over the air. I just read a post on WNEP's forum that WNEP will be added by the end of the week. That's definitely good news. All we need now is ESPN and Discovery and I'll be happy for a while. Definitely a great start though. No problems at all.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:44 AM

12:35 p.m. - WNEP is on channel 716. It must have just come on since there is no guide data yet. Three HD channels on right now and not a single second of HD to watch. WNEP has there normal programming on, WVIA is upsampling there cable TV channel, and Showtime has a bunch of old movies on all day. Given all that, I won't say whether or not things look good. I would like to see HD on all 3 channels at the same time before deciding. Tonight should be a better testing time.

Jeff

Old 11-12-2003, 11:20 AM

Gald to hear Adelphia is working out for those who have it.

I can't wait until Jeff's signiture indicates

Well, I can no longer criticize Nexstar. HD has arrived

dm
Old 11-12-2003, 02:34 PM

I just emailed WBRE to see if they had any update on HD. I also asked them since WNEP and WVIA are both broadcast their HD programming on Adlephia cable if this would have any impact on their timetable for HD. I'll let you know if I get a response.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:05 PM

Hey Dave, I like that one so I am trying my best to make it come true. Today I started emailing WBRE and WYOU. Friday I'll more than likely start calling Nexstar on the phone. Time to pressure them again.

As for Adelphia, I am floored how well things are going. All three channels looked great tonight. There were no signs of compression by Adelphia. I was switching between the OTA signal and cable signal for most of the night and everything looked about the same. There were a few glitches in the transmission. I kept getting a line of pixelation now and then on WNEP and WVIA. The sound also dropped out of few times. I'm sure things will get worked out soon.

On a side note, I emailed WVIA today to see why they switched to 4 SD channels for most of day. It makes no sense to me for Adelphia to carry their HD channel if 90% of it will be SD. It is the same thing as their analog channel, just upconverted. When you are watching WVIA via OTA, at least you get four SD channels out of it. With Adelphia, you only get one. That part I don't mind, just the redundancy. The guide info indicates that it is the HD demonstration. If things stay as they are, that definitely has to change so that people aren't mislead.

Jeff

Old 11-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Yea because lord knows it only gives Nexstar an Excuse to have Adelphia carry their Non HD signal in the HD pak!
Glad to hear things are going well for you Adelphia subscribers I however remain unimpressed, as my area is still not rebuilt, and you guys are only getting one channel more than you were before!

But I do realize this is begining.

Stay on Nexstar!

Old 11-13-2003, 10:52 PM

I spoke with Dan Mattern today, the chief engineer at WVIA. It seems that Adelphia has the same concerns as I do. It seems there isn't a solution just yet as to what may happen. More to come....

Jeff