Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 701 Old 11-14-2003, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More info for everyone, this time on the Adelphia side. The DVI port on the 3250 will be activated. Adelphia is now just waiting for the firmware update from Scientific Atlanta; no date on that, just soon.

By first quarter of '04, we will all be much happier. Adelphia is planning to have HBO, ESPN, Discovery, HDNET, and more all running by then. That's less than two months from now so don't get angry. Blame it on paperwork.

Adelphia is also on our side with WBRE/WYOU. If we all start pressuring, things should start to move forward.

Last but not least, the plasma TVs in the Viewmont Mall were bought by Adelphia to demo HD. Need I say more than that's awesome.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 701 Old 11-14-2003, 01:33 PM

Jeff,

That's some good news on the channels being added. Do you know what the "more" might be as far as channels?
post #333 of 701 Old 11-14-2003, 10:53 PM

The "more" was not specific but I guess we should assume Cinemax HD, Starz HD, and maybe Bravo HD. I was told they want to at least match or even beat what satellite has to offer. Sounds good to me.

You should have gotten the email today from Dwight. Doesn't really pertain too much to us other than the HBO part. HBO should be on this coming week to let everyone know. I also saw that one of the testers will be Stu from WNEP. At least we know one affiliate gives a damn how their signal looks.

Jeff

post #334 of 701 Old 11-15-2003, 05:26 AM

oops, posted that before I read my email.
post #335 of 701 Old 11-20-2003, 07:11 AM

Seems things have been slow lately. No additional HD channels or fixes for the current glitches.

Here are the problems I have right now:
- The guide data on PBS and ABC
- PBS in general (NO HD!!)
- Showtime audio/video sync problem (At least last night)
- HBO (Supposed to be this week)
- No DVI (Yet)
- No HD recording

I also emailed Dwight Monday with a few concerns and I haven't head back. Has Adelphia forgotten I am testing for them?

Jeff

post #336 of 701 Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 AM

Jeff,

I'm assuming your glitches are referring to Adelphia's HD service??

Correct?

Dave
post #337 of 701 Old 11-20-2003, 08:08 AM

I also emailed Dwight right after I received his email about the testing and I haven't heard back yet either. I did notice the guide problem with the PBS programming showing for ABC. I was watching Showtime last night and the audio did look like a bit off on The Distinguished Gentleman. I wasn't sure if it was just that movie though. I was hoping to find out more info on what channels they were looking at adding and what kind of timeframe. No response yet though.
post #338 of 701 Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 AM

Dave,

Yes I am referring to Adelphia except for the PBS part. That part applies to OTA also. Multicasting is bad for now. Maybe once HD gets more abundant I won't care as much.

It seems that everyone is in the same position. We don't know what is going on and the problems aren't getting fixed. We'll have to put a positive spin on it and hope they are getting ready to launch more HD channels and just don't have to time right now to fix little things. I may call Dwight tomorrow if I don't hear from him today.

Jeff

post #339 of 701 Old 11-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys,

Hope things are going well on the Adelphia side for those who can get it!

I was thinking that since none of us an get a response from the two local Nexstar affiliates, which is disgusting by the way. That I would try to initiate a petition to be presented to them, that simply states our desires for them to pass along their Networks HD feeds to us.

I will take any suggestions you guys have, as I would like to get this moving for the holidays. I work in retail and hopefully can get alot of Signatures by sometime in December, and then deliver it personally to The PD's of these two stations.

Give me your thoughts and lets get the HD ball rollin!

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #340 of 701 Old 11-24-2003, 09:03 PM

I like the idea. I'll sign it nice and big. I thought about trying the petition thing too since I work at Circuit City, but I'm not sure what kind of rules I would be breaking by doing so. So far, my emails to Nexstar have gone unanswered.

On the Adelphia front, great news!! HBO and Cinemax should be live this week. Yes I said Cinemax! They are now listed on the online channel guide at adelphia.com, channels 750 and 753. Still no response from Dwight or even a phone call from Adelphia. I will be calling them Wednesday.

I got a response from WVIA on the multicasting crap. Here's the meat of it:

Quote:

I am sorry you are disappointed that we are multi-casting. The multicast program model is being used by most PBS stations around the country to serve multiple age groups and meet the FCC mandated 50% simulcast requirement. We will still carry the PBS HD loop from 8:00 pm until 11:00pm and PBS is adding more and more HD and Wide Screen SD prime time programming. Broadcasting after 11:00 is something we have been talking about since we are now on the cable however, we shut down now in order to save the electricity cost and are budgeted this way until July of 2004 so I am not sure what will happen at this time.

I am not sure how Adelphia handles the multi-cast feed and I too am disappointed if they can only carry one channel of the channels but I will contact them to learn more.

And the plot thickens...

Jeff

post #341 of 701 Old 11-27-2003, 11:09 AM

ABC and PBS HD channels have been down since last night. Adelphia is aware of it. They are in the process of adding HBO and Cinemax right now and things got a little messed up. Showtime is working fine though. Be patient.

I found a link to new HD programming coming up on PBS. December looks to be a great month to have the HD!! Damn you WVIA. I will be emailing them and pushing for them to change things back.

Jeff

post #342 of 701 Old 12-02-2003, 07:38 AM

Well, It's a week later and I'm still waiting for HBOHD and CinemaxHD on Adelphia. Nothing yet. I wonder what's taking so long?
post #343 of 701 Old 12-02-2003, 08:10 AM

Are you at least getting WNEP or WVIA? I get nothing but that I am not authorized to view them. I hope I'm not alone. I called Dwight about a half dozen times over the last week and only got his voice mail. I emailed him today to see if I can get to him that way. I went from 3 HD channels to zero since I canceled Showtime and switched to HBO. Showtime's programming just sucked in my opinion. I will try some more to see if I can get some answers.

Jeff

post #344 of 701 Old 12-02-2003, 10:35 AM

Jeff,

I did the same thing last Friday. I dropped Showtime and switched to HBO because, like you said, SHowtime's programming sucked. I'm still waiting for the HBO HD. But, I haven't had any other problems. I still have WVIA and WNEP HD. I'm not too sure what the deal is with Dwight. I sent him an email with questions about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from him. It's weird if we're testing this shouldn't they be calling us and asking us what we think and if there is anything that's not right, like the program guide still showing WVIA's programs for WNEP? If I were you I would forget about getting in touch with this Dwight and go right to the guy who got you the box or just call their regular customer service and have them fix it. I know when I first got the box I had those not authorized screens. They had me unplug the box and then they did something on their end and told me to plug it back in and everything was fine. Good luck.
post #345 of 701 Old 12-02-2003, 12:13 PM

I have tried everything. Called Dwight again, voice mail. Called customer service, channels still do not work. They are sending someone out tomorrow to take a look at things. I personally think it's the box. It's been acting weird lately, especially with the audio. I confirmed that they are adding HBO and Cinemax and to no surprise, there is no time frame for it. Things seem to be getting back to normal Adelphia practices, unfortunately. I will keep on top of things as usual.

I got some more WVIA info. It is in question answer format.

I wasn't aware of the 50% simulcast requirement.
Quote:

This requirement kicked in for commercial stations a year ago and PBS stations were given a blanket waiver for an additional year. The deadline for us was November 1, 2003 which we were able to meet.

Can there be a compromise? (HD/SD situation)
Quote:

The ultimate program decisions are made by the stations Vice President of Broadcasting, Mark Thomas. However, our definition of simulcast is when the program schedules match (both in time and content). We tend to run a typical PBS prime time schedule and if the prime times shows are available in HD you will be able to see them. This multichannel TV world is also new to us and I suspect we will be making some changes as we learn more of what our members and viewers want but again that is a question for the VP of Broadcasting.

I see that PBS will soon be broadcasting much more HD material or at least according to PTV Digital . I would like to see some of that programming here at home. Wouldn't some of that programming count as simulcast since it is also on the analog feed?
Quote:

Again, it depends on how the FCC defines "simulcast".

What about going to 720p for the HD and adding maybe 2 sub channels?
Quote:

This is a solution however, to do this we would need a HD encoder or a re-encoder, neither of which we have do to the high cost (hd encoders run around $125,000.00). I believe, that as the equipment gets cheaper and the need increases we will invest in the necessary equipment to accomplish this.

I know I'm getting desperate, but myself and many other HDTV enthusiasts feel cheated.
Quote:

I apologize and know the feeling... I was an early adopter of CDROM technology and for months there were only 5 CD titles available. This is a huge and costly change for our industry that will unfortunately cause some TV stations to go dark. It will take time... Please be patient. I have forwarded this response to Mr. Thomas as well.

It about spells out what we didn't want to hear. It seems that a lot of the changes are due to FCC regulations. So I am going to change my original remark of "Damn WVIA" to "Damn the FCC." At this rate, I should have negative HD service by the end of the year.

Jeff

post #346 of 701 Old 12-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like its time for.......

Bom Ba Baaaaaaaaaaa........ a switch to the DISH!

Sorry guys but in my opinion a switch to one of the satellite providers is still the best option at this point.

With only a 12 month commitment to D* you guys would have all these channels already, (I know except Cinemax!).
Receivers are down to 349.00 and when the years up, Then see what Adelphia has to offer, then sell the Dish if you must!

My crystal ball tells me Adelphia wont be able to keep up!

And if they do?.......Theres always VOOOOMMMMM!

See ya!

post #347 of 701 Old 12-03-2003, 02:23 PM

At the rate Adelphia is going and the prices we are paying at this point Chez is right! I think Adelphia may be slowly on the way out of my house.
post #348 of 701 Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 PM

I'll give Adelphia some more time before I pull out. It would cost me more to switch to dish by about $20 a month. Anyways, I got things working today. It seems that somehow my SD box got programmed to be my HD box and vice versa. The tech made a simple phone call, which I could have done if the reps would listen to me. Switched the HD tier from the SD box to the HD box and in 2 minutes, all was well. While the tech was here, I asked a few things of course.
- No date on HBO or Cinemax. He did mention ESPN and Discovery though.
- They just received "some" type of new recording box. He didn't know if it was HD. It could be VOD.
- He wasn't quite up on everything. I taught him the difference between DVI and firewire.
- They are aware of the PBS problems. It is confirmed that it is on their end.

In other bright news, Scientific Atlanta released their dual tuner/HD PVR box today on Time Warner in Green Bay. Now I envy more than just their cheese.

Jeff

post #349 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

How are you figuring your pricing to be 20.00 more than D*?

Don't forget your paying 8.00 bucks a month for that box, thats 96.00 a year for A* HD!

D* 39.99 a month for Basic
10.99 a month for HD PAK
4.99 a month for X-tra boxes?

Remember when they do add ESPN, Discovery, they will be in a HD tier that will cost you also!

I pay 97.99 a month to D* and that gets me EVERYTHING!

Point is I think you will see your adelphia bill rise a bit from where you are making D* a viable and possibly cost saving measure in the long run! I know individuals homes vary right now but, I think if you do the math you will see 1 Year with D* probably wont kill you, and in 1 year if A* has more, sell the HD receiver on E-bay or let A* buy it back from you for a discounted year of service!

CABLE LOVES TO BUY DISHES!!!!!!!

Oh and don't forget the days of you splitting that lonely single cable line to all your TV's is slowly coming to an end! You will need one of their digital boxes on every TV in you home!!

1,2,3, TV's KAAA CHING goes the adelphia register!!!!!!

See ya!

post #350 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 04:53 AM

I looked into the dish and it would actually save me $25 per month if I switched to the dish and also got rid of the cable interenet and went with Verizon DSL. Adelphia still has some time, but at this point there are many things that are getting on my nerves. 1. The customer service still leaves a lot to be desired. 2. If we are supposed to be testers why can't we even get a simple email response from the person who asked us on another board to sign up to do this. Wouldn't you think they would be interested in what we are seeing. 3. The channel guide is still after 3 weeks showing WVIA's programming on WNEP. 4. WVIA looks horrible the past few days. There are lines that continuously go through the picture every few seconds and the sound drops out. 5. Still no HBO or Cinemax HD even though I was told (not by a customer service rep) that it would be on 2 weeks ago this Friday. Adelphia still has time, but it 's limited.
post #351 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock........

Hurry before all those Hughes Hirde86's at 349.99 are gone!

The new model is out so it wont be long.

Don't worry irbenaid, I'll save one for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Jeff sing it with us,

Na na na na, na na na na, Hey Hey Hey Goodbye.........(Adelphia)

post #352 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 AM

Honestly, The cost savings and HD chanels currently on D* can't be ignored and I'll probably be making the switch after Xmas.
post #353 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 09:04 AM

again, i'm sorry to hear your guys stories with Adelphia, maybe they will come around.

I've have and will continue to stay with D* until the decision to switch would be a no-brainer. Its not at this point. HDNET, HDNET Movies, DISCHD, HBOHD, SHOHD, ESPNHD, CBS HD game of the week through the Sunday Ticket

Thanks for posting the sad news from WVIA, maybe we all need to donate more to PBS and tell them to put it towards the cost of an HD encoder. On that note, maybe we need to put our donations towards WYOU/WBRE. I still can't believe we can't get local NBC or CBS HD, for the 53'rd largest market!!

I wonder if any letter's to the editors of the local papers would help. Probably not, they just don't seem to care.

dm
post #354 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 12:12 PM

No I won't be switching yet. Right now, it's just not feasible. I pay $103.29 plus tax for Powerlink, digital cable, HBO and one HD box. If I move to dish, it will be $126.91 plus tax. $54.99 for Powerlink, $38.99 for DirecTV, $10.99 for HD package, $12 for HBO and $9.98 for two additional rooms. On top of that, I have to buy equipment and there is the whole rain fade issue. I know I could go to DSL, but I like the Powerlink speed. I have almost achieved the full 3Mbps download time on a few occasions. DSL won't even come close to that. Where's the savings??

I got an email response from Dwight today. It was only about my lose of my HD locals, so it didn't have any useful info in it. It did send a response back voicing my frustration with their new service. I also mentioned how they don't want to hear from their "testers" on issues they are having. And of course, I keep calling.

The WVIA situation is unfortunate, but maybe it is a step in the right direction. It may force PBS on a national level to start producing their normal programming in HD. The WYOU/WBRE is beyond terrible. Writing to the local papers won't get you anywhere. The Times controls all the big ones and they are in the Northeastern News Consortium thing with WYOU/WBRE. That will get us nowhere unfortunately. I am thinking of flooding some mail boxes at Nexstar with complaints until I get a response.

Jeff

post #355 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 01:22 PM

Finally got through to Dwight and good news. HBO and Cinemax WILL be on by mid next week, guaranteed. ESPN, Discovery, HDNETs and others are all in negotiations still. They will take time. The DVI port will also be active soon. Scientific Atlanta said soon, not Adelphia. Interpret that as you may. And the best news of all, there will be an HD PVR. That will be some time in the coming months, but again no solid date.

I remind you, don't shot the messenger.
Jeff

post #356 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 06:09 PM

Sorry to say it......but.... I'll believe it when I see it. I was told it was going to be on 2 weeks ago. Also your getting this from a guy who can't even answer a simple email from about 3 weeks ago about the service they are offering and on top of that this person also posted on the WNEP forum that he can't wait for the Superbowl in HD this year. Helloooooo? Talk about not knowing about what is going on. Superbowl in HD? Cetainly not here. Thanks Nexstar!
post #357 of 701 Old 12-04-2003, 09:26 PM

Dwight's exact explanation for the delay was that HBO would not allow for their HD channel to be broadcast unless they picked up Cinemax HD also. It makes sense. Cinemax was never mentioned until it popped up one day on their channel listing. I have a small bit of hope left in them. It's new to them without a doubt. That's the only reason why I cut them some slack. But, I don't let up either.

Jeff

post #358 of 701 Old 12-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

The cost savings was based on you dropping powerlink, is 3mb a second really needed for you? or is it just nice to have.

Rain fade is only an issue in the strongest storms, and most have rain fade because of an improperly aligned dish. Don't forget in a rain fade situation you can always fall back on your OTA digital, included in the box for D*.

While its great HBO, and Cinemax are coming soon, don't forget that if your going to keep those channels after your done being a tester, they will cost you extra as will the ESPN pak!

I think very soon you will see your prices going over and above D*

And as far as your other two additional receivers go, 9.98 a month for same programming on two other tv's...........or 8.00 for that digital box from A* on 2 tv's plus your main to retain same channels on all tv's (HD on one)
seems like 18.00 extra a month to me!

JMO.

Hey this is great our debate over D* or A* has caused us to forget about Nexstar for a few posts!..well until right then anyway.

post #359 of 701 Old 12-05-2003, 06:57 AM

Jeff,

You've actually come close to 3 mbps on a download???? I've done that a bandwith test site easily but when it comes to actual downloads the highest I've ever been able to get is about 400 kbps. Did you actually hit this with an actual download or was it only a bandwith test site?
post #360 of 701 Old 12-05-2003, 09:12 AM

Yes, I do NEED the three 3Mbps downloading. I download a lot of gig or better sized files. Every kb of speed counts. And yes, I have hit 2.8Mbps and 2.6Mbps transfers on occasions that I can remember. That was actual files I was downloading, not a bandwidth test. Most bandwidth test sites give my a 1.5Mbps to 2Mbps reading.

My free days are over. Every channel I get, I pay for now. I don't plan on getting Cinemax unless they are nice enough to through it in for a month. I already subscribe to HBO, so that's not an issue.

To clarify, I wouldn't be adding additional boxes to my other two TVs with Adelphia. Standard cable is fine for the office and bedroom. Most of my TV watching is on the big screen anyways.

Jeff

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page