post #361 of 701 Old 12-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Williams

To clarify, I wouldn't be adding additional boxes to my other two TVs with Adelphia. Standard cable is fine for the office and bedroom. Most of my TV watching is on the big screen anyways.

Jeff

To clarify, you will eventually need one of their boxes on each one of your tv's, that was more the point I was making.

The days of splitting your single cable line to all tv's and not paying for them will be over shortly.

See ya!

Wake me when HD gets Here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 701 Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ah, Look a reply from WBRE,WYOU...here it is,

Thanks for your inquiry. As for the HDTV question, both Nexstar's Director
of Engineering and myself have answered your numerous emails over the past
year. I will leave that part to him to answer.

As for the ghost problem. This has appeared on WYOU since 1986. Having just
been made aware of this recently, we have been working to find a solution.
In the past month, WYOU went off the air overnight to tear apart the
transmission line to follow a lead from consultants to no avail. We are
continuing our work on this. Also, we are working with DirecTV to implement
a switch on their equipment that eliminates ghosting. We have seen such a
option work fine in other locations. In fact WBRE appeared with little color
on DirecTV until they (DirecTV) turned on the ghost correction option.
Adelphia cable is the only local system with the ghost since we have sent
our signal via fiber to Service Electric cable and they distribute it to
many systems, and are currently talking to Adelphi to deliver the signal
there. Some cable systems use equipment that recognizes the ghost
correction system and some TV's do which eliminate it. For instance, I had
Adelphia's Dallas cable and my TV has the ghost correction on it and I have
never seen this ghost at home. Since you have digital you can see the off
air digital signal which is ghost free.

For the guide, this is called PSIP and all that is required is there. This
is not something to be fixed; it is an implication that is part of the
bigger picture and not something in the current equipment. This again is
something more for the D.O.E. (rstolpe@nexstar.tv) than me.

Barry Erick, CE CSTE
WBRE-TV WYOU-TV

First of all I never received a response from Nexstar,
Second Once again the question goes unanswered, With the announcement that even CBS's Saturdays games will be in HD now this sucks!

Third,
WHY THE HELL DOES SOMEONE ELSE HAVE TO FIX THEIR GHOSTING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem since 1986??? Great work guys!

See ya.

post #363 of 701 Old 12-13-2003, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent him an email. This is ridiculous. It's a shame they control both the NBC and CBS affiliate. No HDTV and lame power output.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #364 of 701 Old 12-13-2003, 09:07 AM

Before I even read the thread today I emailed WYOU to see if they are going to air the Superbow in HD. (yeah right). We'll see if I even get a response back. 1986???? That is so sad. I don't even know what else to say. Thanks Nexstar! This is why ownership of more than one tv station in a market should be illegal. Perfect example.
post #365 of 701 Old 12-13-2003, 09:49 PM

The ironic part is that I changed my signature before I read the lame email from Barry. Now I want to put it in font size 64, bold it, and make it flash. Nexstar and WYOU/WBRE really do have nothing but a$$holes working for them. That email response makes me want to drive to Wilkes-Barre and kick everyone of their asses!

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #366 of 701 Old 12-18-2003, 08:51 AM

Jeff you crack me up!!

HDTV Rage!!!

your not the only one...
sound's like Barry is getting a little testy!!

I do like the new sig. btw

dm

This is from my email back on Jan. 3 2003....
almost a year ago. Do you guys think that over 1 year is considered the near future?????

Dear David.
This is the offfical word I am just passing on:
"We currently do not have plans to broadcast high definition in the near future"
--- Barry

Barry Erick, CE, CSTE
WBRE-TV/DT & WYOU-TV/DT
62 S. Franklin St.
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701

(570)823.2828
(570)823.4523
----- Original Message -----
To: 22jditt@wyou.com
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: HDTV Broadcasting

Dear Mr. Dittmeier,

I got your email address from the Nexstar Broadcasting website.

I would like to know who I should contact to show my wish for WYOU to broadcast HDTV signals of CBS broadcasts.

CBS is a major leader in HDTV broadcasting, and I wish that WYOU would send this signal out to its viewers.

I am currently enjoying ABC and PBS HDTV broadcasts and would like to enjoy CBS's as well.

Please let me know who I should correspond with to let my voice be heard.

All the Best,

David W. Moss

Thornhurst, PA
post #367 of 701 Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

ABC announced yesterday that this years Nokia Sugar Bowl will be in HD on Jan. 4th!

Thought you guys would like to know.

Tried to post it on WNEP's board yesterday, not up yet!

I guess Mark Has to check the facts before he can post it.

See ya!

post #368 of 701 Old 12-21-2003, 08:32 AM

Dave,

The worst part about HDTV rage is that there is no parting from it. Everyday you are slapped in the face when you realize that you are missing 2/3's of network programming a night. I have tried everything; email, calling, program requests; except calling Nexstar in Texas. I might actually do that very soon too. I'm just trying to figure out who I should talk to once I call.

Chez,

I think ABC/ESPN made a good move switching from the Peach Bowl to the Sugar Bowl, especially since I do not have EPSN-HD. We can easily assume who will be throwing the parties on Jan. 4th now!

Jeff

post #369 of 701 Old 12-21-2003, 07:15 PM

Hey Jeff,

A few weeks ago I got rid of Adelphia and switched to D*. I was wondering if Adelphia finally got HBOHD and CinemaxHD? Just curious to see what is going on with them. Thanks.
post #370 of 701 Old 12-21-2003, 09:55 PM

It's only worse. It's so aggravating trying to deal with them. Dwight has been helpful at least. He has always been truthful. That's why I wish he was in charge of the HD roll out. Who ever is in charge, should be fired. HBOHD, CinemaxHD, and StarzHD still are NOT added. I don't have a clue why things are being done. I spoke with Dwight, and even he criticized those in charge of it for dragging their feet. All three channels were approved to be added a couple of weeks ago. The only excuse is that it's Adelphia, what else would you expect?

Jeff

post #371 of 701 Old 12-22-2003, 09:01 AM

wow, that sucks. Well, keep us updated. I have the one year obligation to Directv and then I'll re-evaluate the situation and see who is offering the most content. At this point I have no regrets and the HD with DVI is incredible. Having HDNet and DIscovery HD were worth switching not to mention ESPNHD. Good luck with Adelphia. Hopefully it will work out for you. If I were you I'd be complaining to them that you want a refund for the $7.95 per month you've been paying for an HD box when the only content they have besides ShoHD is the channels you could get for free ota.
post #372 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM

WYOU now HD???

I just arrived at my house in Lake Ariel, Pa and turned on my SonyHD200 and when I went to the guide for channel 22.1 the show the young and the restless stated it was HD. Though my signal was too weak for a picture, the indicator also said HD. I then moved the guide to this evening and the Guardian says it's HD. I hope I get the signal tonight(sometimes I do in the evening) to see if they went HD without notifying anyone. Seems too good to be true. Anyone else see HD on their sony hd200 guides?
post #373 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 10:43 AM

I don't have an HD200, but a SIRT165. I don't even have 22-1 anymore. It is coming in as 22-2, no HD though. I wonder if they are up to something? 28-1 is now also 28-2.

Jeff

post #374 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 02:47 PM

I have a Hughes HTL-HD and their schedule for the digital channels doesn't even show up on the guide. It still says regular schedule. I could be wrong, but I doubt they went HD even if the guide says hd. Remeber, it's Nexstar! If they are HD that would be a nice xmas present though!!! As I slap myself..........it's Nexstar!!!!
post #375 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 04:45 PM

ok, I did a scan on my receiver and sure enough then channel information for WBRE and WYOU are showing as WBBRED and WYOUD instead of DT. Also programs like Jeopardy and Wheel aren't showing as HD but come 8:00 on WBRE Tracy Morgan and the rest of the shows until 11:00 are showing as HD. 13 more minutes and we'll all know if Christmas came a couple days early!!!!!!!
post #376 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 05:09 PM

8:00 and no HD on WBRE. So much for that.

Hey Jeff,

Nexstar still sucks!!!
post #377 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 08:47 PM

I wonder if they are planning to surprise us or if DirecTV has made a mistake. The PSIP info that WYOU/WBRE sends doesn't have any show information in it, so I don't know where the guide info comes from on your DirecTV boxes. Hmmm??? And I am still a bit confused as to why the channels are now 22-2 and 28-2. And the plot thickens....

Jeff

post #378 of 701 Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

The PSIP info comes from them, not directv...

They have just finally started sending the info, as I complained directly to CBS, and NBC about.

But they continue to shove DTV up our collective A**es, and will probably continue to do so, until their networks threaten to pull the plug on them totally, at which point they will do HD!

By the way I hear already that their Networks aren't happy with them, and neither am I.

So for the time being I will continue to support ABC programming, Local and national, and I will continue to boycott any local advertiser that buys time on their station! Including ROCK 107.........

XM rules anyway!!!!!

See ya!

post #379 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 05:22 AM

Something is DEFINITELY going on. From 5PM until 8:55 I was getting a strong signal from WYOU. It was definitely SD as the guide said so and on my remote I could change the wide mode aspect(You can't do this on 16.1 or any HD broadcast)..Then 9PM came, I lost the picture totally. However the guide said the show was hd, and more importantly the indicator on the sony hd200 stated it was an hd show AND when I pressed the wide mode button the onscreen message stated "you cannot change the aspect on this channel" That ONLY comes up with an HD broadcast. For some reason however I received no picture at all, not even pixellization. I then put the channel to 28.1 and even though the guide didn't indicate that Fraser was HD, the indicator said so and I again couldn't change the wide mode. Did anyone try to watch the guardian or the 10PM show which was indicating HD? Irbenald, I only got WYOU indicating HD on the sony guide, not WBRE.
post #380 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 05:26 AM

P.S. Today only the young and restless indicates it's in hd on the guide and nothing in prime time, however tomorrow evening ALL the wyou shows indicate they are in hd. In NYC all these shows are in hd and are in fantastic quality over Time-Warner cable of nyc
post #381 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH,...........

NO HD ON WYOU OR WBRE,...

And they have no idea why the guide data says so...........BRILLIANT!

post #382 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

maybe it's a really unusual ghosting problem in PSIP

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #383 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 01:13 PM

Joe,

Like Chez said, he talked directly to WBRE and they said no HD. Trust me if WBRE doesn't have it their little whipping boy WYOU won't have it either. I can guarantee you that either WBRE will go 1st when they eventually get around to HD or they will both go together. There is no way WBRE would let them go 1st unless some big pressure is put on by CBS for WYOU to do it for the SUper Bowl.
It is rather amusing though that they have their guides working(finally) and they don't even know how that happened. So yes the shows do say on the guide that they are HD but we are still unfortunate enough to have NEXSTAR!!!!!!!
post #384 of 701 Old 12-24-2003, 01:22 PM

It's just so wierd! I can understand a glitch in the guide, but how does one explainthe absolute change in the signal. As I tried to explain before, on a sony hd200 you can't change the aspect of a high definition signal but you can(panarama, wide, full) on an sd signal. I was getting a good sd signal on WYOU until 9PM when The Guardian was to come on. I then lost the picture but both the guide AND the HD indicator on the hd200 said HD. More than that I couldn't change the aspect on channel 22.1 anymore. It had the same "you are unable to change aspect " message that I get with 16.1 which you all know is HD. The same thing happenned on WBRE during Fraser. HD light went on, no picture(but I NEVER get a strong enough signal for a picture) and a "can't change aspect" on the screen whwn wide is pushed. Does anyone out there have a sonyhd200? If so tonight try King of Queens and tomorrow try CSI or Cold Case. They both show HD on my info guide.
post #385 of 701 Old 12-25-2003, 07:49 AM

Last night I didn't get a repeat of the inability to change the aspect on the 22.1 show King of Queens, even though the sonyhd200 indicated it was hd. The guide didn't however. Tonight the guide says ALL the prime time shows Cold Case, CSI and Without a Trace are HD. I'll try again to see if the signal changes from sd to something else. I also didn't lose the picture last night as I did on Tuesday night.
post #386 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 05:49 AM

In my never ending reporting on the unusual things happening on WYOU and WBRE here is the latest. On Christmas day the guide stated that ALL of wyou 's prime time shows would be in hd. When I turned them on I got a good signal, but they were clearly not HD and when I pressed wide on my sonyhd200 remote I was able to change the aspect, something you can't do on hd. This happened for all the wyou shows that were indicated hd on the guide on Friday as well. Saturday it indicated the football game was hd. It wasn't, and my signal was getting weaker as the day went on. Here is where it gets wierd again. Later that night Boomtown was on WBRE and The District was on WYOU. The guide again indicated hd. My signal was so weak I got no picture(same as last week) When I pressed wide on the remote I got the message "The aspect ratio of this program can't be changed" something stated ONLY on HD broadcasts. What was stranger was when 11PM came, I all of a sudden got the strongest signal on both stations I ever got and the picture(non-HD) was perfect. I got to believe there is some type of hd testing happening. Did anyone see either of those prime time shows last night? Were they HD? Did you have a sonyhd200 and what did it indicate? Thanks
post #387 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

The only thing unusual going on at either of these two stations is that there are less people there to not answer any of your questions because of the holidays!

Your sony HD 200 is a product made by LG not sony, I have the new hughes HTLHD and it is the exact same box as you are using, made by LG
just a different shell on it.

The way I use mine is thru DVI and the EZDVI setting, thru this setting I cannot change the aspect of these programs either, doesn't mean they are HD its just the settings I use, try changing your box settings and you will see you can change the aspect. Also even thought the guide data says HD i can assure you they AIN'T!

Try calling directly, 823-2828 and speak with any of the techs who are so tired of answering this question they are becoming rude, as is the programming director, general manager, and the receptionist, who get a weekly barrage of phone calls and emails from anyone I can get to call, I can assume I will be adding you to this list!

On another front has anyone seen the error problem with FOX56 lately?
Here there may be something going on, happens in prime time only it seems and my hughes keeps flicking back and forth between 720p and 480p? Although Rich is on vacation and I have not spoken with anyone directly, It makes me wonder if some new equipment is in place for the 720p changeover! Don't hold your breath its just what I see!

Back to the other two, I have said it before its time to start hitting them where it hurts! If you watch these channels digitally, which I refuse to do, only for this info, write down the name of their sponsors, I mean local spots
call them and ask for a manager, and politely tell them you will not support their product because of the stations lack of HD, and if they choose to run their sponsorship adds on WNEP, you will be glad to frequent their business again! Then thank them for their time.

If you are interested in receiving all networks in HD do a search in the HD programming Section of this board for my CBS HD thread, and read the post By Ken H. this will give you all you need to know on they grey market sats such as Bell expressVU, and how to do it. At this time this little project may be hitting my roof very soon, and bye bye to all my locals who dont do HD!

One last thing NO SOUND OF MUSIC IN HD LAST NIGHT! I hear holiday Zzzzzzz's coming from the WNEP eng. dept.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya!

post #388 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 06:27 AM

There were 2 feeds of that movie last night. ABC did not air the 7-11pm version of "The Sound of Music" in HD. The 8pm to midnight feed of the movie was. We ran the 7-11 feed so we could run the 11pm news on time.

- Stu -
wnep engineering
(I'll go back to sleep now - Zzzzzzzz)

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #389 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

I Knew that Just wanted to see if any of you guys checked this board anymore!

How are you Stu?!

Quick question, on the WNEP board I posted that ABC would be doing the Sugar bowl in HD and Mark refused to post it, any reason why?

By the way the signal looks great, good job.

post #390 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 06:51 AM

I've been too busy to check the boards. I'm on vacation this week which is why you see me here now. If you guys need to get a quick answer about something in the future, send an email to hdtv@wnep.com. That goes directly to my email inbox. I'll try to frequent here and wnep.com more often.

Thanks for the compliment on the signal. I do try to keep it "tweaked" to near perfection!

To answer your Sugar Bowl question, here is a message from ABC:

"The two AFC NFC Wildcard Playoff Doubleheader games scheduled on Saturday, January 3, 2004 in the 4:00 - 11:00 PM-NYT/1:00 - 8:00 PM-PT time period will be broadcast in HDTV/5.1 audio.

Nokia Sugar Bowl (The National Championship Game) scheduled on Sunday, January 4, 2004 in the 8:00 - conc. aprx. 11:30 PM-NYT/5:00 - conc. aprx. 8:30 PM-PT time period will be broadcast in HDTV/stereo audio and NOT, HDTV/5.1 audio as previously."

Enjoy!!!

- Stu -
wnep engineering

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page