Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chezbrgr2-Thanks for the explanation. What is wierd to me is that for some shows I can change the aspect and then on some others, those that the guide says hd, I can't. It's also unusual that it happens on both channels 22.1 and 16.1 at the same time, when both stations have a show that the guide says hd, and then it reverts back. I'm sure they aren't broadcasting shows in hd, but is it possible they're testing for future broadcasts? Otherwise why the change in the ABILITY to alter aspect. I should either be able to for ALL shows or for none, if it's just a setting.. I'm spoiled since I get these channels in NYC and I guess I'm just hoping against all hope that this is a prelude to HD up here in time for the super bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Is WNEP technically able to have run the HD feed on 16-1 at 8:00PM and the SD feed for 16-0 at 7:00PM? If so, then people watching the HD feed on 16-1 could have switched to 16-2 to watch a replay of the news at 12:00 M.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #393 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 11:00 AM

Joe,

That is a very good question. I think the only problem would be the local commercials. I like the idea though.

Stu,

Very glad to see you back. We always appreciate your contributions to our discussions. And again, thanks for setting a great example for the "other" local stations on how HD should be done. I just wish they would follow. Were you one the Adelphia HD testers? I remember seeing a Stuart Wilson on the list. I was and still have it even though I am getting very pissed with their unwillingness to add more channels that they have signed carriage agreements with.

To All,

I still don't know where the new guide information for WYOU/WBRE is coming from. I turned on my T165 today to check things out and my guide still says WYOU-DT not WYOU-HD. The info in the guide is still of the "Scranton - Event 287" type. The only thing that has changed in the channel number as I have stated before. They are now 22-2 and 28-2. Why? Who knows? The new guide info the you guys have has to be getting pulled from DirecTV some how. I know that it shouldn't be, but how else do you explain it?

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #394 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 04:58 PM

Joe,
Technically I could pull that off, however I'd need to check with the programming department to see if we could legally do it. This particular situation has never happened before. If I saw it coming I might have been able to do something.

Hi Jeff!
Yes, I am a tester but not at my home. I have the SA box at the station so that we could monitor both ota and Adelphia. I am not in the Adelphia service area and recently switched to Directv. The cable company in my area is not digital anything yet.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #395 of 701 Old 12-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Stu,

Isn't it amazing how a mile makes such a difference. I wouldn't bet on Adams having HD for years. Also ask Mark why he let my newest post over on the WNEP board go up, but not Chez's? I mentioned the Sugar Bowl and the NFL playoffs and the post is there. I just want to know if you will remove 16-2 for the games like you did for the Superbowl last year.

I know this isn't your problem, but can you put come pressure on Adelphia to fix the guide data for WNEP-HD. I was told it would be fixed over a month ago and it is still wrong.

Jeff

post #396 of 701 Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd post this here just in case it somehow doesn't make it to the WNEP DT board, what follows is exactly how I wrote it to them.............

"With all the blabbering that Ping does before he actually starts his segments, you would think he could have taken 3 seconds to mention that the NFL wild card weekend on your station would also be available in HD on digital channel 16.1!
This same logic could be applied to the fact that Penguins home games are also available on Digital 16.2, instead of just "Adelphia 63"!

Be proud, not silent".

Just a thought.

What do you guys think???

I feel they should be proud of this HD thing and scream it loudly!
After all they are the only ones (Besides the PBS LOOP), you would think if you had a leg up on the competition you'd stomp a mudhole in em'!

See ya!

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #397 of 701 Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Jeff,
I will check on the status of the program guide on Adelphia. Also, I will remove 16-2 on Sunday morning when I get up. I cannot do it on Saturday because there is a Penguins game that evening.

Chezbrgr2,
Send an email to generalmanager@wnep.com with your comments on the HDTV promotion or anything else related to HDTV. No one in management reads these boards.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #398 of 701 Old 01-01-2004, 10:41 AM

Thanks Stu!! You might want to check out your channel on Adelphia. I haven't been getting it since yesterday afternoon. All I get is a grey screen on 716. Are you still getting it at the station? I had to switch to my OTA box last night to show the HD off to the family.

Jeff

post #399 of 701 Old 01-01-2004, 03:24 PM

Jeff,
Yesterday morning I sent Adelphia an email about the gray screen on 716 and the program guide issue. Hopefully I'll get an answer tomorrow.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #400 of 701 Old 01-01-2004, 04:12 PM

Stu,

If you emailed it directly to Dwight, it may be longer. He seems to take quite a long time to reply to email if he does at all.

Jeff

post #401 of 701 Old 01-07-2004, 01:13 PM

We received a nice slap in the face today. DircTV will be adding CBS-HD to their lineup very soon. Of course for us, we need a waiver to view it and I don't see WYOU granting that anytime soon.

In Adelphia news, they added channel 800 today. It is called Digital Video Recorder. It is obvious what it is for, but why make a channel for it?

Jeff

post #402 of 701 Old 01-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

That slap in the face as you refer to it must be only for Adelphia Users!

Seeing as I already have a waiver for CBS,(yes they do grant them), and seeing as how I suggested pages ago that you switch to D* for at least one year. I suggest you know re-visit your earlier statements about Adelphia,(4 or 5 pages ago), and re think your adelphia Choice.

As for me sorry to gloat, but............

I guess I'll see the superbowl after all, in HD that is.....

Sorry for your luck, but alas the fight goes on Now nexstar really loses!

See ya!

post #403 of 701 Old 01-07-2004, 06:18 PM

it does seem like excellent news for D* users.... (I don't want to get into a d* vs. adelphia HD battle)

i don't currently have a waiver from wyou, but i will be requesting it now that's for sure.

chez, what was the process, did you go directly through WYOU's website, or is a call necessary? or is it through NEXSTAR? i'd love to try to get it done as soon as possible of course!!! (WYOU's website has been unreachable to me this evening)

whats going on with FOX-DT, does anyone receive their DT signal currently??

Stu, thanks for the WNEP general manager email. I sent an email in questioning why they don't promote their HD leadership in the area. I received a very nice responce indicating they would try to do some more promoting. If I was the only major network passing through HD signals i'd be screaming at the top of my lungs, rubbing it in the face of my competition.

BTW, Happy New Year everyone!!!

dm
post #404 of 701 Old 01-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I got my waiver last year, by calling WYOU directly in scranton.
Ask to speak to someone concerning a waiver, sorry I cant remember the womans name, It may be Debbie.

Just be polite and request a waiver so you may receive the HD signal they are not providing to you, believe it or not thats all it took for me.

Hope you have luck.

By the way, its good not to get involved in the battle........
Especially when your already on the winning side!

Boy I'll probably eat those words in 2005!

See ya.

post #405 of 701 Old 01-08-2004, 06:47 AM

chez,

i do agree with you!!!!
(did I say that out loud?)

dave
post #406 of 701 Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Well more good news for you DirecTV subs. You now can get FOX EDTV too. If I see an announcement that they will be carrying NBC HD I will switch in a second. I'd rather wait until HD TIVO comes out so that I can get a better deal on it. That's if I have a reason to switch then too.

Adelphia finally moved forward today. They added Starz! HD and Cinemax HD, but still no HBO HD. They also no longer encrypt the local HD channels. That's good news since a lot of new TVs and HD receivers can tune into unscrambled QAM channels. You also do not need to be a digital cable subscriber to receive them. Basic cable will do.

Jeff

post #407 of 701 Old 01-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Williams

They also no longer encrypt the local HD channels. That's good news since a lot of new TVs and HD receivers can tune into unscrambled QAM channels. You also do not need to be a digital cable subscriber to receive them. Basic cable will do.

Jeff

It's about time, thats the way it was supposed to be done all along.

Glad to hear about the other two channels for you.

see ya!

post #408 of 701 Old 01-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

I suggest we all send a letter here....

FCC

As well as keeping the emails going to them.

Please tell all friends and family that until such time as they send along their networks signal to please not support thier station.

See ya!

post #409 of 701 Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Heres mine........................

Dear sir,

I am writing this to you with concerns over my two local stations and their DTV signals.
While I realize that they do not have to broadcast an HDTV signal from their networks, and intend never to do so, so I am told. I feel they are beginning to cheat us out of just about everything else also!

First of all their digital signal is almost unwatchable, because of low power and poor antenna placement, the station refuses to correct this even after numerous phone calls and emails.
I did not buy into HDTV to watch a 480i signal from anyone, let alone these two Nexstar owned stations.

In the mornings they have decided to broadcast only one newscast, and is it simulcast on the other one! So now locally because of this decision they have left me only one alternative for morning news and info which is WNEP, a station that is doing the right thing by its viewers. Then comes 12:00 news, Again same simulcast on both stations! I would venture to say if these stations were owned by two different companies this would never happen, and should NEVER happen!

On the HD front, they are often rude in any response your get from them, and I have never been able to get a response from the parent company, Nexstar on the HD matter. It seems a shame that after the government decided that Digital television, and HD are the broadcasting standards of the present and future, that these two stations have decided to take the minimum approach to the issue and cheat the local viewers out of not one but two of our National Networks and their HD programming. Again I believe this to be a direct result of the fact that both are owned by Nexstar broadcasting, and their actions are decided by them, and not locally. I am quite sure that if they were owned independently of one another I may have at this point at least one other HD network offering to me.

In closing I would like to point out that I have done some checking into the status of other Nexstar owned stations and it seems that this seems to be a blanket policy for all of their stations, I believe 24 across the country. While I realize that HD retransmission is a costly venture, I believe that Nexstar has known this all along and should have prepared for it better. I also believe that as a result of restrictions being lifted when it comes to station ownership, that this example serves as a prime indicator that no one should be allowed to own more than one television station in the same market, I fear that at some point between the endless PAID PROGRAMMING infomercials that I have to endure from them on the weekends in the middle of the day, when NBC, or CBS doesn't have any national programming on, that except for Prime-time I will one day see the same exact broadcast on these two stations all day long, thus removing choices from my local market, this is already starting to happen.

Thank you for your time.

post #410 of 701 Old 01-11-2004, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending on the market, duopolies are permissible. However, the ownership group may not control more than one station that is an affiliate of one of the top four broadcast networks. Nexstar must have gotten a waiver. The result is ridiculous. Aside from the weak digital transition efforts, local news programming is undifferentiated if it is merely simulcasted; so much for the diversity of voices.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #411 of 701 Old 01-11-2004, 09:44 AM

Ok, Here's my email to the FCC. Great idea and I would encourage anyone else unhappy with this situation to take 5 minutes and do the same. Good job Chez!!!

Hello,

I'm writing with a complaint about our local NBC affiliate WBRE and CBS affiliate WYOU owned by Nexstar in the WIlkes-Barre/Scranton viewing area. First of all I find it quite disturbing that one company is able to own two stations that are affiliates for two separate and competing networks. This has caused poor service in our area. I receive their signals from DirecTv and I can tell you that there is a terrible ghosting problem on WYOU. I can also tell that there are people in this area that have received email responses stating that WYOU has known about this problem with their signal since 1986! This is totally unacceptable. I can also tell you that I have sent many emails to these stations questioning their intentions for HD transmission and I have either received no response or the response that I did receive was very ignorant. These stations are supposed to serve our interests and they aren't doing this.
Another important point that you may want to know about is that in the morning and at noon these stations simulcast WBRE's local news on both stations. On top of this they share all services so the two channels are basically identical in what we see during the other newscasts. We see the same stories just in a different order. Please look into what these stations under the ownership of Nexstar Broadcasting are being allowed to do.
post #412 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 08:22 AM

ok, now for the bad news.....
(considering they aren't sending an HD signal, i still can't believe it!!)

here is my responce from WYOU for recieving a waiver to get the CBS-HD feed from DirecTV
dm

Unfortunately, at this time we are not granting waivers for the CBS HDTV feed via satellite to viewers that have a zip code within the service area and receive an over the air signal or local to local. This decision has come down from corporate per the advice of legal counsel.

Please see the attached document for further information on the digital transmission of WYOU-TV22.

THE ATTACHED DOCUMENT WAS:
Pursuant to FCC requirements, Nexstar Broadcasting is transmitting a standard definition digital broadcast signal for station WYOU-TV 22. Stations may broadcast both analog and digital signals until at least December 31, 2006, when they may be required to abandon the analog format, provided that 85% of households within the Wilkes Barre/Scranton DMA have the capability to receive a digital signal.

Digital transmissions currently may be low-power, but full-power transmission will be required by a future date to be established by the FCC. The FCC left the decision of which digital format to be transmitted up to individual broadcasters. Nexstar Broadcasting has made a decision to broadcast standard definition digital signals until such time as the FCC mandates high definition broadcasts or the viewer base supports the additional costs associated with transmitting a high definition signal.
post #413 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 09:51 AM

That answer pisses me off. I think I will make it a very personal point not to support any of the local sponsors of WYOU/WBRE<--Jerks. It also makes my decision to switch a bit more clouded. It definitely comes down to recording capabilities, so I will wait.

Jeff

post #414 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

you figure it out from there..............

my lips are sealed!

post #415 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 10:14 AM

chez,

reading some of the CBS-HD thread in programming makes me wonder if there is a difference between an analog waiver and a digital waiver. You might not be free and clear. For your sake I hope you are!! Thanks for the zip btw.

My main problem is that why should WYOU prevent viewers from getting CBS-HD from satellite, if they do NOT broadcast HD??? It just doesn't make sense. Now if they were broadcasting HD I could understand them wanting/forcing viewers to watch CBS-HD OTA.

thanks for the fcc email, message has been sent.
dm
post #416 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

here

post #417 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Everytime they grant a waiver the have officially, in the records lost you as a viewer period.....

Now that CBS and FOX are going to be on D* i'm quite sure they wont be granting ANY waivers...period!

I wish it was different, but I am calling nexstar directly today to try and get some answers...will post if I get anything....

See ya!

post #418 of 701 Old 01-12-2004, 01:21 PM

I received a message today from someone at WYOU that basically stated the same thing that DWMoss posted. They have been advised by legal not to send any waivers. I think it's time we hit them where it hurts. We've been nice for way to long. I still haven't received any email from them about some of the questions I had with the local cable company offering hd other than a wiseguy remark from someone there that he was forwarding my email.

Chez, it looks like it's time to act on your plan from a while ago:

I think it's time we did a little bit of watching these two channels and start listing the advertisers here. Once we get a good number of local advertisers then we could split them up and start calling these advertisers and advise them that if they continue to air their ads on these stations we will not do business with them any longer. I think this is the only way the message may finally get through. If it doesn't get through the worst we can do is put them out of business. I think our local Fox will be left out of this because it sounds like they are legitimately working towards HD. If we want it we all have to get on board with this. We could call the businesses and we'll tell them that we are representing the NEPAHD group or something like that and we'll hit them over and over until our point is made. So............. Who's on board??????????
post #419 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 04:59 AM

I called D* today to complain about the terrible ghosting problem on WYOU. Since those of us that have D* are paying to see WYOU's crappy signal I would encourage the rest of you in the same situation to call D* and complain. I called and the rep checked into it and I was told that if more people called in to complain about this problem they could escalate it further. I also advised them about how a little while back WYOU actually told one poster on here that D* should turn on their ghost correcting equipment. When I told the rep this she checked with their techs and they said that they didn't know what they were talking about. I tried to get the distant network feed but was unable to do that. D* advised me that I still need a waiver and since WYOU isn't giving them out I'm out of luck.

As far as yesterday's post last night I watched a little bit of WYOU's newscast. I know, I know it's really WBRE's other newscast with different talking heads there but I watched a few minutes anyway. There was one local commercial that I saw and it was for Independent Mobility. I wrote down the phone number and when we have a few more we can start our calls.
post #420 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 06:53 AM

Though my primary residence is nyc I spend a great deal of time in Lake Ariel, Pa. and I'm totally frustrated with Nextstar as everyone else is, and I'ld be glad to put my name on any petition or protest!!!! I have two HD tv's in Pa. and ABC, PBS + DirecTV isn't enough for my investment.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page