Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bel,

So if you have D* do you subscribe to the local channel package??? If you do please call D* and complain about WYOU's sever ghosting problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 03:05 PM

I don't subscribe to locals...I get most of the nationals except wcbs..I get that with an antennae as well as a digital signal that comes and goes...I also have on one tv Adams most basic cable plan as a fallback. No ghosting on cable or antenna.
post #423 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 03:14 PM

I'll join the fight too, even though I don't have D*. I wonder what they would do if someone called and complained about the service and wasn't even a customer?

Adelphia Update:

They have as of this morning enabled the DVI connection on the boxes. It seems that they are starting to get things rolling again or it could just be me calling every other day reminding them that the update is available for release. It is a good example of how one person's constant inquires can make a difference. I'm sure that the fact that their technical director is an HD nut doesn't hurt either.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #424 of 701 Old 01-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

On the Nexstar front.......

Have been doing some digging and came up with a few new ways to bypass local jargon and go direct to them..

Hope these still work, I am lead to believe that these are higher-ups, and a head engineer.....lets get the emails going...here they are.

nexstar2
Nexstar Engineer
Nexstar3

Lets please remember to include our desire to start boycotting their programming if changes are not made.

See ya!

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #425 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

And yet another..........

CBS East Coast Operations Director

See ya!

post #426 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 07:53 AM

Great job!! I sent an email to all of the addresses. Here it is. I'm sick of this crap already!

I'm writing with concerns over your refusal to transmit the HD programming available for the 2 major networks (NBC & CBS) that your company owns in my viewing area. After many emails and either no replies or immature insulting replies received back from people at these local stations I feel I am forced to voice my concerns directly to Nextar. Since Wilkes/Barre Scranton is the biggest market that Nexstar has ownership in and is also the 53rd largest in the nation I would think getting HD to this market would be your biggest concern. I am also writing to inform you that I have complained to the FCC and to Directv about the signal being transmitted by WYOU. There is a terrible ghosting problem when watching WYOU on Directv which I am paying to watch. I also know that the local engineers for your stations have replied to an email about this problem stating that they have been aware of this problem since 1986 and Directv should turn on their ghost correcting equipment to correct this. The techs at Directv are still perplexed as to what WYOU is talking about. My letter to the FCC also complained about the fact that one company could own 2 of the major networks in one viewing area and also combined their newsteams and just simulcast some of their newscasts and change the order of new stories around the rest of the time to make it appear that each station is doing something original. Myself and a number of other concerned viewers have started compiling a list of local advertisers for these two local channels and when the list is complete we will begin informing these advertisers of our intentions to boycott their businesses until such a time that our complaints are addressed in a professional manner or the businesses pull their advertisements from these stations.
post #427 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 08:52 AM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I just received a reply back from Rick Stolpe and there was nothing written just an attachment that stated the standard Nexstar crap about them not doing HD until the FCC mandates it. So I sent a nice email back to him since HD wasn't my only concern......... Here's my email..............

Great,

Thanks for the canned reply. I guess nothing changes at the corporate level there either. How about addressing some of the other concerns in the email, like the serious ghosting problem on WYOU.
post #428 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 AM

ok here's the reponse I just got about the ghosting problem on WYOU. At least they responded. I also included the email I sent back to them.

Concerning WYOU Ghosting Issues,
We have isolated problems on the tower with the transmission line and the
antenna. The next step is to climb the tower for a visual inspection and
repair. We had a tower crew on hand last Friday night but as you well know
the wind chills were in the -20's and probably in the -40's on the mountain
where the transmitters are located. Needless to say we were not putting
people in danger of severe frostbite over this situation. We now have to
wait until a tower crew can free time up to get back on site with some fair
weather. This doesn't mean springtime just some temperatures in the teens.
No one more than WYOU wants to resolve this ghosting issue. We don't like it
either.

Here's my response......

Thank you for that response on the ghosting problem. I do appreciate your time. As far as the HD issue goes, it is a business decision that Nexstar is choosing to make. While I believe it to be a poor decision only time will tell if this will turn out to further hurt these stations ratings in this market.
post #429 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

In the spirit of open communication that AVS has always provided, I today have invited WBRE's Programming Director to join in this discussion.
He has in turn forwarded it to Engineering and Corporate Execs.

Although he did not state he would join in, I felt the only fair way to give them a chance was to invite them to join us here.

If they do decide to join, let us all us our best judgment, and stay away from meaningless attacks. I know we are all upset but we can discuss this in a forum that they might respond to.

The Invitation is now open..............

See ya!

post #430 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 03:46 PM

We seem to be getting somewhere now. Emails back from Nexstar, I never got one when I sent an email. WYOU also responded. That again never happened to me. You should play the lottery with the luck you are having.

Chez, good idea with the invitation to the boards. I have been contemplating the idea of inviting Dwight from Adelphia. Having people from the inside here to discuss problems is always a plus.

I started something for fun. I have made a local high definition forum on my home PC which also happens to be a web server. It is up and running if anyone would like to try it and see if things work. It called it the NEPAHDTV Forum. Remember, it is on my home PC so the upload speed is only 25KB max so it may be slow.

Jeff

post #431 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Great job!!!!

I will now proceed to send emails to all involved, at the local level to see if we cant have that become the new discussion place for us...

Hope it works!

See ya!

post #432 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 PM

Hello, I live in Scranton and just recently purchased an HDTV. I am an Adelphia subscriber and I am thinking of getting their HDTV package. It includes WNEP, PBS, etc. Are these channels constantly broadcast in HD or are only certain programs on these channels broadcast in HD. Also my other question is, say, there is a game on ESPN local channel 25 broadcast in HD, will I receive that signal and be able to watch that program in HD or will I have to wait until that channel is available through Adelphia like WNEP, PBS, etc. ?

Thanks.
post #433 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 05:10 PM

WNEP and WVIA (PBS) HD are available over the air with an antenna. Does your tv already have a tuner in it? If it does then you are ready to go without even getting cable. The latest I've heard is that Adelphia has WNEP, WVIA, Cinemax(extra charge), SHowtime(extra charge), and I believe Starz(extra charge). You pay $7.95 for the hd receiver from Adelphia. The one down side to it is you can't receive the over the air channels with it so you wouldn't get WNEPDt 16-2 (you can see WBS Pens games on here) or the other 3 PBS channels shown on their digital over the air signal. Again if your tv already has the hd tuner you're set to go for at least some HD.
Most of WNEP's prime time ABC programming is HD. There are exceptions and those are basically the reality type shows. WVIA has hd programming usually starting around 8pm each night. No ESPNHD is a totally separate channel from the regular ESPN. If the game is in HD the only way you will see it is if you have ESPNHD. Adelphia doesn't have this channel yet. DirecTv and Dish Network do. Hope this helps and I'm sure others could add more to it.
post #434 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 07:16 PM

I live in southern schuylkill county, and because of my location, I am eligible for both Distant networks of NY and LA, plus I still have access to the WB-Scranton DMA stations. I should be receiving the CBS - HD signal from D*. I used to get it from E*, but the Sunday ticket brought me over.

I don't know if everyone has tried the eligibility page. maybe you'll qualify like I did.
post #435 of 701 Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 PM

So if i have an HD-Ready Tv and get the HD receiver from my cable company and a program is advertised as available in HD on cable, that is all i need to watch the program in HD?
post #436 of 701 Old 01-15-2004, 04:45 AM

Yes, If you have an HD ready tv then you need the HD box from either the cable company, satellite company, or an over the air HD decoder. In your case since you said you have Adelphia in order to get what they offer in HD you would need their set top box. Jeff can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe what Adelphia is offering right now is WNEP, WVIA, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz. Remember Sho, Cin, and Starz are all pay channels so you'll have to have a subscription to one or more of the multi channel services like Cinemax or Starz to get their HD channel. The $7.95 you pay a month for the box rental will include WNEP and WVIA HD. I don't think they've added any other channels yet. Also make sure the cable company gives you the component cables you need. I doubt they give away DVI cables but if your tv has that kind of input it is worth the investment.
Once the thrill of having a few HD channels wears off be sure to call our local Nexstar owned CBS & NBC affiliates and let them know you want to see their networks HD programming!!!!!!
post #437 of 701 Old 01-15-2004, 04:49 AM

One other important thing. Just because a program is advertised in HD doesn't mean you will get it in HD. Your cable provider must be carrying that stations HD channel in order for you to see the HD program. FOr example you might see hockey on ESPN one night and it also says that it's available in HD on ESPNHD. Just because it's available in HD unless your cable company is carrying ESPNHD you won't get the HD feed of the game. I know that right now Adelphia doesn't have ESPNHD. Hope all this helps.
post #438 of 701 Old 01-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Attention

lacdmiles21, houset, Belb64......

AVS forum is a great place and I will continue to follow this thread, however I suggest you check here NEPAHDTV

So we can be more on a local level for all to see!

AVS forum can be confusing for some, but this site will be specifically for us, with a lot of local help (hopefully) coming on board with us.

See ya there.

post #439 of 701 Old 01-15-2004, 07:59 AM

Chezbrgr2-Thanks for the tip..I just registered. Hopefully it will be full of insight.
post #440 of 701 Old 01-15-2004, 10:04 PM

Thanks for everyone's participation on the new NEPA HDTV Forum. I hope that between all of our work we can get the attention of "other" local broadcasters and show them there is a market for HD locally. Let's keep up the fight!

Thanks,
Jeff - NEPA HDTV Forum Administrator

post #441 of 701 Old 01-16-2004, 06:55 AM

well, i figured it out...
we all have to move to Binghamton, NY!!

If WYOU was broadcasting HD I'd have no problem with them not granting waivers, but when they DON'T send out the HD signal, why prevent us from getting it by other means!!!! How about waivers that would be pulled when they start broadcasting an HD signal??

jdspencer received this letter from their local CBS affililate. He's not the only one to receive the waiver....

Station WBNG-TV hereby states that at present it does not object to your reception of satellite-delivered CBS programming at the address listed above. This statement of non-objection applies to satellite service to you at the address listed above.

(Because station coverage areas sometimes overlap, there may be another CBS station that delivers an over-the-air signal to your household. Our statement of non-objection does not waive any rights that any other station may have to object to your reception of satellite-delivered CBS programming. Your satellite carrier can tell you whether other stations have rights with respect to satellite delivery of CBS programming to your home.)

Nothing in this letter constitutes an acknowledgment that delivery of CBS programming to your home is lawful under the Copyright Act. Station WBNG-TV reserves the right to withdraw this statement on non-objection at any time in its own discretion.

Joseph P. McNamara
General Manager

and another letter

At this point we are broadcasting in only DTV Digital Channel 7
WBNG has no firm plans to go to HDTV in 2004.
I have seen the HDTV signal that CBS sends us and it is
Incredible but corporate and the powers to be have not
Given any possible dates to go to HDTV yet.

Regards
Michael Calkins
Chief Engineer WBNG TV 12
----------

Now I know why they decided to give me the waiver. I guess they feel that this area doesn't have enough potential HD viewers to make the cost worthwhile. So they just went with the minimum requirements to be broadcasting in DTV.
post #442 of 701 Old 01-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

This is a must read article.........

WYOU, WBRE ARTICLE

post #443 of 701 Old 01-17-2004, 01:58 PM

Definitely a must read!!!! I decided to email the writer of this article to thank him and let him know how this was impacting us. Sorry, it really sounds like Mission is just a front to stop the FCC from investigating further. Something just doesn't fit based on all of the contact that many of us have had with the two "separate entities." Here's my email.....

Mr Russell,

Thank you for that interseting article. I live in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA market and I could tell you first hand that this Mission-Nexstar separation is a sham. On top of this the viewers are really struggling to have a voice since these two stations also have an agreement for a "New Alliance" with some of our local papers. This leaves little room to complain. Recently I sent an email to WYOU & WBRE complaining about different issues with both stations. One issue that pertained to both stations was their refusal to pass on their networks high definition signal. Now you would think if these were in fact two separate companies I would receive two different letters back. This was not the case though. All I receive back is one letter answering for both stations. It's a letter from Nexstar and of course they only list WBRE, but in fact they are answering for both stations since they are really running the show. On top of this emails that I have sent directly to WYOU have ended up in the hands of engineers at WBRE.
Another interesting fact is that in addition to sharing their workforce we also for the past few years have the WBRE newscast simulcast on WYOU in the morning and at lunch. When the news isn't simulcast the order of the stories are just changed around for the 6pm and 11pm newscasts to make it appear that they are doing there own newscasts. Our viewing choices have been limited here amd it is really sad that the FCC would allow this to occur. WYOU really has no identity in this market. The one good thing we have going for us is that WNEP (local ABC affiliate) as always is burying the both of them in the ratings together. I wonder why??? Anyway thanks for looking out for us it's just too bad it had to be someone from out of state. It looks like you're onto something big with this story though, so keep at it.
post #444 of 701 Old 01-18-2004, 02:37 PM

Here is the email I sent today and those I sent it to:

Recipients:

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell
FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy
FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps
FCC Commissioner Kevin J. Martin
FCC Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein
PA Attorny General
WYOU/WBRE General Manager John Dittmeier
WYOU/WBRE Opertaions and Production Director Randy Williams
CBS East Coast Operations Director
Vice President, Director of Engineering at Nexstar Richard Stolpe
Executive Vice President, COO at Nexstar Duane A. Lammers
Senior Vice President, Regional Manager at Nexstar Brian Jones

The Message:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to bring to light a situation that is becoming a problem for the residents of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Our local CBS affiliate, WYOU, and our local NBC affiliate, WBRE, are being controlled by the same entity, Nexstar Broadcasting. This is not the way it is represented on paper. According to research, WYOU is owned by Mission Broadcasting out of Wadsworth, OH. WBRE is owned my Nexstar Broadcasting out of Irving, TX. Nexstar Broadcasting runs the day-to-day operations of WYOU under what is known as a LSA, or local service agreement. The practice of using a local service agreement gives Nexstar a virtual duopoly. They are not only doing so here, but in fourteen separate markets across the nation and counting. The Northeastern Pennsylvania market they control is the largest of their local service agreements, ranking 53rd in the national by broadcasting standards. The practice has lead to many problems, a few of which are documented below.

- The most obvious problem with their current standing is the lack of unique programming. As an example, the morning news and the noon news are simulcast on by stations. This occurs to a different degree with the evening news and 11p.m. news. For those time frames, the order of the news stories is different, but the content is the same. As you can easily derive, the situation is in no way beneficial to the community.

- Second of the list of problems is the visible degradation of the image. The problem is with an issue known as ghosting. An exact copy of the current image is slightly shifted to one side. The result is very distracting and reduces the overall quality of the image. The ghosting is most evident on WYOU, but is also on WBRE. This is a prime example of why allowing on company to have control over two separate stations is not acceptable.

- The list can go on, but I will end with this last example. Beginning in 1996 with the FCC?s approval of the standards for digital television, TV stations had to begin the transition to digital television. Both WYOU and WBRE have made the transition to digital television. That fact is not part of the complaint. The problems lie in the power of their transmission and their decision not to pass the HDTV signals of their parent broadcasters. Both stations broadcast at such low power that it barely reaches outside of the county in which the tower is located. Their viewing area is roughly fifteen counties. Their decision not to pass any HDTV signals is quite inappropriate also. CBS is the leader in HDTV and NBC is right up there with them. To not supply their viewers with the opportunity to view the programming is something that is not well received by the community.

I ask of you to review that situation that Nexstar Broadcasting has become all too comfortable with. The use of local service agreements to benefit customers is can be useful. Nexstar?s use is clearly not benefiting anyone but their own budgets. Please take measures to rectify the situation before the viewer is completely forgotten about.

Thank you for your time,
Jeffrey Williams - Concerned Viewer

post #445 of 701 Old 01-19-2004, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

post #446 of 701 Old 01-21-2004, 07:57 AM

NBC is going to have the Daytona 500 in HD this year!!! Oh wait, I almost forgot we have Nexstar here. Oh well guess we won't see that one either. Thanks Nexstar.
post #447 of 701 Old 06-22-2004, 02:13 PM

Anyone know if FOX 56 is broadcasting digital? With the news of FOX going 720p soon I would be interested what our local affiliates plans are.
post #448 of 701 Old 06-22-2004, 08:45 PM

They are broadcasting in SD right now. They run at a very low power level, so you won't be able to pick it up in Tunkhannock. Last I heard, they did have plans to go HD for the fall. Let's hope it all goes to plan.

post #449 of 701 Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm trying to update a master list of OTA HD stations. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has not yet been updated. Can somebody that knows what networks are broadcasting in HD or HD/DD5.1 go to the following link and post the info?

National List of Stations Broadcasting HD / DD5.1

Just need the Network, Re-mapped Channel#, and if they're DD 5.1. For any of the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, UPN & WB) that are currently broadcasting in HD.

Thanks....
post #450 of 701 Old 07-15-2004, 01:20 PM

I added the available HD stations in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to the post.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page