Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 701 Old 11-15-2004, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This article was published in the Scranton Times on Saturday. It was written by Rich Mates.

----------------------------------------------------

Longtime WYOU/WBRE-TV employee Randy Williams has been named to the newly created position of WBRE-TV station manager.

While the job is common at many stations, nobody has actually defined what WBRE's station manager will do. "It's what I want it to be. It's the same job I was doing plus a little more," said Mr. Williams, 42, of West Scranton, who was the station's operations manager.

His top priority will be improving the quality of the stations' broadcast and cable reception. There seems to be a problem at a transmitter on Penobscot Mountain that engineers are working on, he said.

"Actually WYOU's picture on Adelphia has improved. I'm not happy with the way WBRE and WYOU look on DirecTV," Mr. Williams said.

Adelphia's signal should get better in 2005. The cable company's regional manager Mark De Stefano said a fiber optic signal for the two stations will be added to Adelphia's 125,000 cable homes next year. Now only WNEP feeds its picture and sound over fiber optic cable to Adelphia's Duryea control center.

Mr. Williams is hopeful the DirecTV signal for both stations will be up to snuff, too. Station engineers are working out a fix, he said.

The new station manager also will oversee the switch to full-power High Definition Television for both stations in 2005. And he'll take on the restoration and remastering of WYOU's legendary film library.

Creating "The Tom Powell Memorial Film Library," named for the anchor and news director of WGBI/WDAU-TV (previous call letters of WYOU-TV) for 30 years, will take years.

"No one else has what we have," Mr. Williams said of the station's film.

---------------------------------------------------

This is great news for us. It's amazing what a change in management can do for a company.

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 701 Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 AM

i hate to say it...

but i'm afraid it's just hype....

I'll believe it when I see it!!!

Here's my guess, WBRE & WYOU go to higher power in 2005, but it won't be HD!!!
post #483 of 701 Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

I live in Moscow and can get WVIA and WNEP HD with good results. Still cannot find the assigned digital channel for fox 56 with the antenna aimed in the same direction as VIA and NEP. What is the assigned digital channel and is it up and operating yet?

Tom
post #484 of 701 Old 12-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Finally found the digital frequency for the channel 38 Fox outlet here. It is channel 31 and I am getting a decent signal here in Moscow. The particular shows on last night were not in high def. By rotating the antenna I also get the Binghamton Fox outlet just as good.

Tom
post #485 of 701 Old 12-07-2004, 07:22 PM

FOX is now broadcasting in HD and 5.1 surround sound. That's 3 down and 2 to go, which will hopefully happen this spring.

post #486 of 701 Old 01-02-2005, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Hello:

I am Trip Ericson, and I am running a TV website (see my signature). I have extra attention on the digital TV signals, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is the next market I want to complete.

Could someone provide me with a listing of the signals in the area? Any technical details I can get from the FCC site, but I need programming info. For example:

What are the subchannels? What are they mapped to? What format are they in (480i, 720p, 1080i)?

I assume that WNEP, being owned by the NY Times, is the only one in the area with HD aside from WVIA. Nexstar is HD at a whopping 0 of its stations, and Pegasus doesn't even have many of its stations on the air at all, even in SD (Fox in Tallahassee, FL and UPN and WB in Portland, ME for example). But I still need mapping info for these stations.

Thanks in advance.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #487 of 701 Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 PM

WNEP DTV-49 Mapped 16-1, 16-2, 16-3
Broadcasting 720p on 16-1, 480i on 16-2 and 16-3

WOLF, WSWB DTV-45 Mapped 56-1, 56-2
Broadcastiong 720p on 56-1, 480i on 56-2(WSWB)

WVIA DTV-41 Mapped 44-1, 44-2, 44-3, 44-4
Broadcasting 1080i on 44-1 during prime time, 480i all other times and channels

WYOU DTV-13 Mapped 22-1
Broadcasting 480i

WBRE DTV-11 Mapped 28-1
Broadcasting 480i

WQPX DTV-32 Mapped 64-1, 64-2, 64-3, 64-4
Broadcasting 480i on all

WYOU and WBRE, both Nexstar run, have announced that they are planning to go HD this spring upon budget approval. We have yet to hear the final word on that. WYOU, WBRE, and WOLF all plan to upgrade to full power this spring.

post #488 of 701 Old 01-08-2005, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Williams
WNEP DTV-49 Mapped 16-1, 16-2, 16-3
Broadcasting 720p on 16-1, 480i on 16-2 and 16-3

WOLF, WSWB DTV-45 Mapped 56-1, 56-2
Broadcastiong 720p on 56-1, 480i on 56-2(WSWB)

WVIA DTV-41 Mapped 44-1, 44-2, 44-3, 44-4
Broadcasting 1080i on 44-1 during prime time, 480i all other times and channels

WYOU DTV-13 Mapped 22-1
Broadcasting 480i

WBRE DTV-11 Mapped 28-1
Broadcasting 480i

WQPX DTV-32 Mapped 64-1, 64-2, 64-3, 64-4
Broadcasting 480i on all

WYOU and WBRE, both Nexstar run, have announced that they are planning to go HD this spring upon budget approval. We have yet to hear the final word on that. WYOU, WBRE, and WOLF all plan to upgrade to full power this spring.

Sorry, somehow I had missed your response. Good thing someone was kind enough to email me about it.

Could you tell me what programming is on each of the subchannels you list? (16-2, 16-3, 56-2, 44-2, etc.)

Thank you.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #489 of 701 Old 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, despite the lack of response, I guessed at it and here's the nearly complete Scranton listings.

http://www.rabbitears.info/listings.php?id=swb

If you see any errors at all, please notify me.

Thanks!

- Trip

N4MJC

post #490 of 701 Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Still can't get a signal from Wolf on assigned channel 45. Must be on low power, because other HD signals from that antenna location are coiming in fine.

Tom
post #491 of 701 Old 02-04-2005, 10:13 PM

WOLF does brodcast at the lowest power of all the locals. That is set to change this spring though. A new more powerful transmitter is scheduled to be installed starting in March.

On a more positive note, Adelphia added WOLF-HD to their lineup on Wednesday. Now it is available to a lot more people and just in time for the Superbowl.

post #492 of 701 Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM

That probably explains why I can't get WOLF-HD anymore. Adelphia picked them up Wednesday??? Damn....I was getting a solid 73 an up on my Sony GWIV meter from them. Since Thursday it seems Ive been getting breaking up even though the signal still shows 70 to 76. Sometimes it will go down so low and show No Signal and then bounce back two seconds later to 73...WIERD to say the least. I know it's been kind of hazy and foggy with the sudden warm up here but still...Does the cable company have anything to do with this sudden intermittent hiccuping of the signal. I refuse to pay cable prices for a compressed signal. I remember watching the Orange Bowl OTA instead of cable because the box made it look like a SD picture. It was too soft. Nothing beats the OTA signal IF YOU CAN GET IT. I hate Adelphia Cable. Oh by the way. I tried Channel 45 also and over here wher I live in Eynon I pick up WOLF-HD on 56.1. Might want to try that. I've tried 45.1 and even though the signal meter says 73 i get no image. I use 56.1 for Wolf and 56.2 for WSWB. Ill be damned if all of a sudden because of Adelphia I wont be able to watch the Super Bowl and I kept laughing all the way to the bank being able to get all the networks digital with a Radio Shack indoor antenna!!!
post #493 of 701 Old 02-11-2005, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Final channel elections are in! Here's the info:

WNEP-49
WYOU-13
WBRE-11
WSWB-38
WVIA-41
WILF-29
WOLF-45
WQPX-32

- Trip

N4MJC

post #494 of 701 Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 PM

after a crappy day at work, i come home today and see CBS HD finally added by service electric (bloomsburg).

too bad this wasnt 2 weeks ago for the ncaa tourney. i'll have to settle for the final four though.
post #495 of 701 Old 04-08-2005, 06:01 PM

I just wanted to let the forum know that I was able to pick up WNEP DT signal from State College. I have a Radio Shack UHF yagi with a corner reflector on a rotor and a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp. A few days ago, I turned my antenna toward Scranton and much to my surprise I was able to pick up WNEP DT. I recieved all 3 sub channels (16.1, 16.2 and 16.3). During the evening an nights I receive the signal solid with no drop outs. During the daytime there are a few drop outs.

Can anyone tell me what WNEP output power is and if it is currently operating at full power?

This is quite exciting for this neck of the woods to be able to receive a network HD broadcast, since our local ABC affiliate out of Altoona (WATM) is broadcasting with a signal of 2 kw at 480i. Our CBS affiliate is operating also at 480i with an output of 3.3 Kw and our NBC affiliate is in Johnstown broadcasting at 250 kw but impossible at present to get from State College. Only PBS (WPSX) is broadcasting in HD (1080i).

If anyone can shed some light on WNEP output power as well as the other WB/Scranton stations I would appreciate it.
post #496 of 701 Old 04-22-2005, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm in Bethlehem, PA, a few of blocks up the hill from the Lehigh University main campus. Because of this hill I can't get any of the Philadelphia stations but I am on the right side of it and high enough up to get VIA and NEP with nothing more than a $25 passive indoor antenna. With some experimentation I also found WLVT-DT which is the local PBS but they're currently only broadcasting four 480i sub channels (39-1, 39-2, 39-3, 39-4) and since I get HD-PBS from VIA I don't have much reason to tune them in. Also, their signal is very weak.

I bought a 40dB amplified indoor antenna in the hopes of picking some more HD stations but only found WFMZ (69-1, 69-2, 69-3). Other than local news there is nothing worth watching on their main channel (69 -1 which is 480i and looks no better than their analog station). 69-2 is their AccuWeather channel and 69-3 is an HD channel but all I've ever seen thus far is a blank, black 1080i screen with two channel Dolby Digital pink noise. Interestingly their website says they're retransmitting HD-Net on that HD channel. I hope this is true because HD-Net does carry some decent content but so far I've seen nothing. Also, their signal must be very low power because I live maybe five miles from their tower and barely receive it.

When I moved into my house a few years ago there was a huge (6+ feet by 4 feet) antenna in the attic but it wasn't hooked up and I'm a Dish Network subscriber so I didn't need it and gave it to a friend who lives about 90 miles away when he got an HD DirecTV tuner with OTA at roughly the same time. Well, he's never used it because he is lucky enough to get all of his OTA channels with just an indoor antenna. I'll have to make a trek to his house and take it back because I'm on the verge of picking up three more digital channels. When I do a channel scan my tuner "sees" D-9 ( a Bethlehem local that I never even heard of before), D-11, and D-13 but the signals are too weak to lock onto. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up HD CBS and FOX before the 2005 NFL season starts. After seeing the wild-card playoff games in HD from NEP there's no way I can settle for SD from Dish anymore
post #497 of 701 Old 04-23-2005, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Slosh
When I do a channel scan my tuner "sees" D-9 ( a Bethlehem local that I never even heard of before), D-11, and D-13 but the signals are too weak to lock onto.

Wait... 9? I wasn't aware that WBPH-DT (channel 60 on analog, if you want to check out the non-stop religion) was on the air yet. If you manage to receive it, could you let me know what kind of programming they have on the digital? As in, are they multicasting or just doing the one stream?

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #498 of 701 Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 AM

Can anyone give me a status of the broadcast networks in the WB/Scranton area? Who is broadcasting in HD, who is at full power (how much) and who is on at reduced power.

I am in State College (Altoona/Johnstown market) and the state of affairs is very sad (no HD from anyone in SC for a very long time, some stations not even broadcasting digital!). I can pick up WNEP-DT from where I am located but nothing else from your market. I am curious if you have other stations at full power.

Thanks.
post #499 of 701 Old 07-14-2005, 06:04 AM

WNEP 16 & WVIA-44 are both currently broadcasting in HD at full power. If you get 16, you should get 44 (not sure what the power actually is, but there are no plans to increase it). Fox-56 is broadcasting in HD over the air, but in low power. Cannot get a straight answer as to when they will be at full power, could be weeks away, could be months. 28(NBC)&22(CBS) (same company owns both) do not broadcast in HD, they are targeting Mid September. They claim that when they go live they will immediately be at full power. My gut tells me theat late October will be the earliest it actually happens.

No word yet as to wheter 28&22 will be available in HD via cable or just off air. Also no word on when any of these HD stations will be available via DTV (likely to be years away IMHO).
post #500 of 701 Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Slatington PA, approx 35 air miles due south, and over a couple of mountains from Wilkes Barre area. Antennaweb figures I should be able to get W/B channels using a "Violet"- UHF antenna. What I am looking for is to get a HDTV signal for my new home theater setup. I am totally unintelligent when it comes to antennas, could someone recomment the best combination, that might allow to pick up these signals. I assume I would want a HDTV antenna, some sort of rotar to direct the antenna either towards W/B, Allentown, or possibly Phila, and also some sort of preamp. Then I guess I would need to attach these to roof, and run the cable to my HDTV antenna input.
Correct?
If so, can u give me some model numbers, etc?
Also, once this is all done, how exactly do I get a channel like the 16.1, or 16.2 like you are talking about?
Dave
post #501 of 701 Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 AM

Does anyone know if Service Electric for Bloomsburg transmits any of the HD locals in the clear (unscrambled)? Their web site lists a few stations as avaialble but is silent on the issue of whether the locals are unencrypted.
post #502 of 701 Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM

OK, I'm able to answer my own question. I finally heard back from Service Electric about HDTV locals on the Bloomsburg system:

"The local stations are not encrypted at all. The QAM tuner should be able to display them."
post #503 of 701 Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know when WYOU and WBRE will begin broadcasting in high definition?

Tom
post #504 of 701 Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Willard View Post

Does anyone know when WYOU and WBRE will begin broadcasting in high definition?

They're saying the week of September 11th. We'll see.

WOLF seems to be at full power now so at least I can get Eagles games in HD now. Hopefully YOU/BRE will be there early in the season so I can get Steelers games in HD too.
post #505 of 701 Old 08-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. I will have to try WOLF, since I could not pull in their low power signal here near Moscow, PA. It would be nice if YOU and BRE go to high definition in September.

Tom
post #506 of 701 Old 09-04-2005, 01:30 PM

WBRE/WYOU are now saying full power and HD won't be until November. I think we'll be lucky if they are there in 2005 at all (but of course hope I'm wrong).
post #507 of 701 Old 09-04-2005, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, they only have until the end of the year. The FCC only allowed one extension of the full-power rule for big-4 stations in the top 100 markets. At least that's what I heard.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #508 of 701 Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 AM

I had my HD DirecTivo installed yesterday, I wanted an OTA antenna but the installer said that they couldn't get a signal in the Clarks Summit area with the OTAs.

Is this true, or was the installer just lazy?

Anyone have any success with a DTV OTA in this area?

Thanks for any help...
post #509 of 701 Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Bad Guy:

If you can receive the analog signals of WNEP,WBRE, WYOU and the other local stations, then you should get their high definition counterparts. WNEP and WVIA have been broadcasting at full power with high definition signals (when programming is present from the network feed).
I live in the Moscow area and can receive all of the digital signals (WBRE and WYOU are still just upconverting their standard definition signals) using a modest VHF/UHF antenna I purchased at Lowes a couple of years ago.

Tom
post #510 of 701 Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

WOLF just recently went full power too. There signal is comparable to WVIA and WNEP as far as reception goes.

WBRE and WYOU plan to be full power HD by early November now. They had a few equipment and contractor delays that set them back.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page