this is a copy of the email I sent WNEP after watching the monday night football game on 9/9. the webmaster, mark sowers, took my email and added his comments to the end of each point.
a day after this responce he emailed me to tell me the engineers fixed the lip synch problem...
1. The sound seemed delayed slightly throughout the broadcast. The lips were moving slightly ahead of voices. It was really bad but it was noticeable, not just by me but others watching the show. I'll let our engineers know.
2. Did you increase you power in the last few weeks. I was previously having problems receiving your signal but after trying again in the last week, I found I had no problem picking your DTV signal up! I was glad to find that out!! Yes we did. We are now at full power. :-)
3. The Monday Night Football game last night was broadcast on 16-1 with the black side bars. After reading your website's page on the WNEP-DT technical details I found:
"Channel 16-1: Channel 16-1 is now all widescreen (16:9), all the time. Some shows are in High Definition and some are not. Those that are in HDTV will be in 720p format. Any ABC shows not in HDTV (like "20/20") will be in 480p widescreen (16:9) format. All WNEP or syndicated shows (like Newswatch 16, Hollywood Squares, and Inside Edition) will not be in High Definition, but they will be upconverted from analog to the 720p format. These shows will have the black bars on the sides. Many prime-time commercials will be handled the same way. High-Definition and widescreen programming will only appear on 16-1."
this would indicate that last night for MNF you upconverted an analog signal to the 720p format. I enjoyed the image but I am curious if you are currently receiving the digital signal in 720p from ABC yet? I believe MNF is sent to us in 480p widescreen. ABC adds the black bars themselves. Imagine how much better it would look in High Def.
4. What shows from ABC are you showing in the 720p format that are NOT unconverted? What primetime shows from ABC will NOT have the black side bars? All SCRIPTED programs, like sit-coms and dramas, are in 720p High Def. Reality shows, news, or sports are in 480p.
5. I noticed you do have a transparent logo next to ABC's transparent logo. Thanks for making it transparent!!!! I did notice the standard opaque logo on 16-2, do you have any plans on changing this? It's not a big deal, most of my time watching will be on 16-1 but it is nice to have 16-2 there to catch up on the news at any time and not just at the standard times. I'll let our engineers know.
6. If I have any questions/problems during 16-1 broadcasting time, is there a phone number I can call to talk a live person? I've read a lot of horror stories, about stations "forgetting to flip the switch" regarding HDTV broadcasting. People calling up the station and informing them that the signal they are receiving is an upconvert and not the pass through from the network. For instance, if I would of called last night, would an engineer been able to "throw the switch" and then I could have had the widescreen version of MNF without the black side bars. You can call the newsroom, and they can transfer you to the engineer on duty. But I don't think you will have a problem. Our system is automated to take ABC's digital feed whenever it's available. We only up-convert when the digital feed is in black.