Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 701 Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! My father lives in Brodheadsville, PA, and we bought him an HDTV, reciever, etc... HOWEVER, I can't find any info on the boxes that blue ridge cable gives out. I'm looking for their non-DVR HD cable boxes, so I can buy the cables before I trek up there from Philly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 701 Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronowyn View Post

Hello everyone! My father lives in Brodheadsville, PA, and we bought him an HDTV, reciever, etc... HOWEVER, I can't find any info on the boxes that blue ridge cable gives out. I'm looking for their non-DVR HD cable boxes, so I can buy the cables before I trek up there from Philly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the pocono's and in my area blue ridge cable non-DVR HD box is the scientific atlanta 3100HD. It looks like the 8000 HD is being used as well.

the manuals can be found at http://www.brctv.com/customer_care/userguides/index.php

one note, for my area the non-digitial channel line up - (below 100 on the box) do not have any audio output through the digital coax output. I need to run standard audio cables (red & white) to get audio on these channels.

good luck
dm
post #573 of 701 Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if WNEP has changed their broadcasting pattern? I am in upstate NY, 20 miles north of Binghamton and have been able to view WNEP since they went to digital. Since early summer the signal is terrible. I was thinking leaves on the trees, but they are gone now. I still have no problem recieving WVIA, WYOU, WOLF, WBRE, and WQPX, but WNEP and WSWB are allmost unwatchable. Even analog channel 16 is no where near as clear as it used to be. They allways seemed to be the strongest signal for me.
Something has changed and Im not sure if its my antenna or the broadcaster.
Im hoping someone on here might know an answer. Thanks all
post #574 of 701 Old 10-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead13746 View Post

Does anyone know if WNEP has changed their broadcasting pattern? I am in upstate NY, 20 miles north of Binghamton and have been able to view WNEP since they went to digital. Since early summer the signal is terrible. I was thinking leaves on the trees, but they are gone now. I still have no problem recieving WVIA, WYOU, WOLF, WBRE, and WQPX, but WNEP and WSWB are allmost unwatchable. Even analog channel 16 is no where near as clear as it used to be. They allways seemed to be the strongest signal for me.
Something has changed and Im not sure if its my antenna or the broadcaster.
Im hoping someone on here might know an answer. Thanks all

There's a chance if you were thinking trees, it could still be the issue -- While your leaves have changed and fallen up there, most of them down here in the WB/Scranton area are still green and full. Especially up on East Mountain where the WNEP antenna is located.
post #575 of 701 Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcolept View Post

There's a chance if you were thinking trees, it could still be the issue -- While your leaves have changed and fallen up there, most of them down here in the WB/Scranton area are still green and full. Especially up on East Mountain where the WNEP antenna is located.

Thanks, I guess Ill wait and see what happens, I never had this issue in the past. I really miss Snedeker in the morning!
post #576 of 701 Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 PM

If anyone is having problems with WNEP OTA, heres why:

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=7503525

WNEP-TV Tower Collapse

Sunday, December 16, UPDATED: 5:50 p.m.
By Scott Schaffer

Click for larger image
The WNEP-TV analog tower collapsed Sunday morning due to ice and wind conditions.

The WNEP-DT (digital signal) service has been restored.

Early this morning one of WNEP's towers collapsed in Luzerne County due to ice and strong winds.

It's one of two WNEP towers on top of Penobscot Mountain that came down just before 7 a.m.

Engineers from WNEP have been working on the problem all day. The broadcast tower that came down is 800 feet tall. It regularly puts out about one million watts of power.

Engineers said the tower was downed by strong winds and ice on top of the mountain, some 2,100 feet above sea level.

Crews worked all day to restore WNEP's signal to viewers.

"We are being carried on Comcast. We are now being carried on Service Electric. Service is back to them. We are now working with all the cable companies to get our service back up on cable," said WNEP President and General Manager Lou Kirchen.

Click for larger image
The tower damaged a transmission building when it fell.

She added 90 percent of WNEP viewers get the stations signal through cable or satellite providers. She said the roughly ten percent who pick up WNEP over the air by antenna will be affected the most.

"So the folks who are strictly getting us over the air will have the difficulties, but we hope to restore service throughout the DMA as quickly as possible," Kirchen added.

The tower that collapsed took out part of WNEP's transmission building on top of the mountain as well.

Kirchen emphasizes the most important thing is that no one was hurt at the transmission site.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused our loyal viewers," said WNEP President and General Manager Lou Kirchen. "We're grateful that no one was injured and we will do whatever it takes to serve everyone in northeastern and central Pennsylvania."

WNEP.com will continue to have updated information as it becomes available
post #577 of 701 Old 12-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting that according to the station only ten percent of viewers receive their analog signals through OTA. I wonder if they will bother to rebuild that tower if in fact the digital tower is still up (did not know they had a separate one for their digital channel) if in about 14 months that signal will be shut down anyway.

I see that the tower also took out the power lines leading to the other transmitters in that WYOU, WBRE, WVIA, and others are also dark. WBRE came back for a while and then went dark again this evening.

Tom
post #578 of 701 Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM

Figures the tower went down. I had the new TV all set up to watch the Steelers game in HD with my dad (Never saw his team in HD). Couldn't get WNEP, WYOU or WBRE. Fox and all there digitals word though. Thanks for the pic and reason why it wasn't working!
post #579 of 701 Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

From what I read at Scott Fybush's fybush.com media site, the tower of WBRE-TV (NBC) channel 28 Wilkes-Barre fell due to icing back in 1989.

I myself have only been in Wilkes-Barre maybe 5 times since 2004 (I live near Hartford, CT). When walking over the Market Street Bridge from Kingston heading back into W-B, I see a hill to my front and right with a few towers on it. Is that the hill with WNEP-TV/DT on it?

Also, did any cable company in that area briefly carry ABC from Elmira, Binghamton, New York City or Philadelphia to fill the temporary hole?
post #580 of 701 Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Good memory KML-224, the towers you saw from the Market Street Bridge is where the WNEP tower is (was). It's called Penebscot Mountain by the locals.
post #581 of 701 Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM

looks like those of us with DirecTv will be getting HD locals on 1/3/08 - at least Fox, ABC and CW
post #582 of 701 Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsg View Post

looks like those of us with DirecTv will be getting HD locals on 1/3/08 - at least Fox, ABC and CW

I got ABC & Fox. I don't seem to get CW. What channel does that come in on?

Any word on the rest of them?
post #583 of 701 Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team wbfd View Post

Good memory KML-224, the towers you saw from the Market Street Bridge is where the WNEP tower is (was). It's called Penebscot Mountain by the locals.

Thanks for the tip. I may have taken a pic of it, but unless I zoomed it, I don't think you'd be able to see the towers in the pic too well.

Anyways, any updated information on progress with the towers at that site?
post #584 of 701 Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsg View Post

I don't get CW, only ABC and Fox. Should I get CW in HD now? Any word on the rest of 'em coming?
post #585 of 701 Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM

no CW here either

and no update that I've heard about the rest
post #586 of 701 Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Willard View Post

Interesting that according to the station only ten percent of viewers receive their analog signals through OTA. I wonder if they will bother to rebuild that tower if in fact the digital tower is still up (did not know they had a separate one for their digital channel) if in about 14 months that signal will be shut down anyway.

I see that the tower also took out the power lines leading to the other transmitters in that WYOU, WBRE, WVIA, and others are also dark. WBRE came back for a while and then went dark again this evening.

After the tower collapsed, WNEP decided not to redo the analog since it was so close to the digital changeover. Analog is really nasty. I can barely get it in Allentown 40 miles away and I'm high up. 56 analog is pretty bad too. Digital is fine.

Eph
post #587 of 701 Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

I installed a CM4228 and a CM7777 pre-amp in my attic. I am at -75.53750, 40.56672 in a 2 story house. I had initially targeted Philadelphia, but discovered that it was 2Edge (tvfool.com is great!) and instead pointed the antenna towards Scranton. I get a good signal from:

WNEP (ABC, 16.1,2,3)
WYOU (22.1) (VHF 13, I can get this with the UHF antenna)
WBRE (analog only, I can't get VHF 11 with the CM4228). I'll add a VHF antenna and see how it goes
WOLF analog only.
... and the Allentown locals, PBS, WFMZ etc.

I've looked at the radiation patterns and location of the tower. WOLF and WNEP are on the same mountain, with very similar radiation patterns. I get a pretty good analog signal -- it is a little snowy. I don't get one smidgen of digital signal. The auto-scan pauses for a while on UHF 45.. but no dice. Any tips for better reception?

If possible, I would like to keep the antenna in the attic. From what I have read, I might want to be able to manually enter UHF 45-1 then turn the antenna... but I do not know if my TV supports this.
post #588 of 701 Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 PM

To fullstop in Allentown: The WYOU-DT (CH 13) and WBRE-DT(CH 11) are both transmitting at the same power (30KW) from the same transmitting antenna on the WYOU analog tower. You may find that if you move your receiving antenna, you might get WBRE-DT. If not you may have to add a high VHF band antenna, like the Winegard or Antennacraft 10 element VHF high (CH 7-13) antennas. Moving your antennas outside will help also. Sometimes the roofing materials and wood will block the signals to a certain degree. What is you physical location, town and elevation ? This will determine what you should get. You can't always go by what TV fool provides. Their information is good, but not fool proof. I am located in Hazleton and can receive the Philadelphia digital stations, not all of them all of the time, but I am at 1,870 Ft elevation. This is a major factor in what you can receive. TVDXER
post #589 of 701 Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM

To fullstop: You probably are having a problem with WOLF 56.1, 56.2 56.3 because they are on CH 45 and your local WFMZ-DT is on CH 46. If you can disconnect our preamp, you might get less interference from WFMZ CH 46. Even here in Hazleton, WFMZ-DT comes in with a very strong signal. I currently am using a CM 4228 without any preamps in my attic.
post #590 of 701 Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM

Henna,
I know this was posted in Feb.2006, but the problem is probably the Terk antenna. They are not very good for some channels. Try a Channel Master 4228 8 bay UHF antenna. It also works well for VHF high band for WBRE-DT CH 11 and WYOU-DT CH 13. I have been using one in Hazleton and it works well.
post #591 of 701 Old 05-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDXER View Post

To fullstop: You probably are having a problem with WOLF 56.1, 56.2 56.3 because they are on CH 45 and your local WFMZ-DT is on CH 46. If you can disconnect our preamp, you might get less interference from WFMZ CH 46. Even here in Hazleton, WFMZ-DT comes in with a very strong signal. I currently am using a CM 4228 without any preamps in my attic.

I would hope that my TV can handle adjacent channels well, but maybe it can not. WFMZ comes in without the preamp, and I can receive them no matter where I point the directional antenna.

Without the preamp, I can't get any stations from Wilkes Barre. I'm only at 430 feet above sea level according to google earth, so I am sure that has something to do with my problem.

I'll have to try adjusting my antenna position again this weekend.

My location is 40°33'54.63"N, 75°32'14.52"W, located in area code 18103.

Also, I can sometimes get WBRE-DT, so I think moving the antenna slightly will help with that.
post #592 of 701 Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I read today that WQMY-DT is supposed to be adding RTN next year. I'm wondering if that means it'll also end up as a subchannel on WSWB-DT.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #593 of 701 Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Anyone from the Williamsport area know if WQMY-DT is on air yet?

DVR: Totally worth the monthly fee to get 15 minutes +/- of a busy life back!
Quality, not quantity!
post #594 of 701 Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Can anyone in this area confirm or deny WSWB will be is broadcasting any content in HD as it is its own broadcasting station? Also, how is the content on WBRE and WYOU, once WBNG takes down their analog tower on 12 I should be able to pick these up. Thanks
post #595 of 701 Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM

WSWB has primetime shows being broadcast in HD on channel 38.1, I do not have a VHF antenna so I do not know about WYOU and WBRE OTA reception.

Quality, not quantity!
post #596 of 701 Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustorm View Post

Can anyone in this area confirm or deny WSWB will be is broadcasting any content in HD as it is its own broadcasting station? Also, how is the content on WBRE and WYOU, once WBNG takes down their analog tower on 12 I should be able to pick these up. Thanks

I'm in Berwick (18603), and I can get WBRE-DT and WYOU-DT without issues. No subchannels, content is the same as the analogs.
post #597 of 701 Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks I am hoping with a little luck maybe I will get these channels, I get channels in syracuse 55 miles the other direction, but with the hills and mountains, it may be tough 55 miles into PA.
post #598 of 701 Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Location: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, Northeastern Pennsylvania
Hi. I live in the Moosic area, and I'm in a really tough spot with reception. I'm between two mountains, in a valley where no one I know nearby can receive any channels without cable. It's even tough for those who have dishes to get reception. I've been living here for 18 years, spent oodles of money trying rabbit ears, then amplified ones, then rooftop antennas, guy wires, rotators, etc. etc. (To no avail) More recently, I was told about this YouTube antenna, (made of coathangers) which seemed to better than everything else up until now.

I became interested in this, began searching, and arrived here, in this forum, where there is a posting for building your own antenna. Following some advice of some helpful folks over there, I have come a long way since building several antennas.- Very interesting thread.

According to TVFool, I shouldn't be able to get anything from my address location, but am receiving 16.1, 16.2, 22.1, 28.1, 38.1, 44.1, 44.2, 44.3, 44.4, 56.1, 56.2, 56.3, 64.1, 64.2, 64.3, and 64.4 in digital.

Virtual 16 and 56, (WNEP and WOLF) being broadcast on actual digital 49 and 45, (respectively) have been giving me a bit of difficulty, however. I experience signal dropouts and pixelization quite often on those channels, making it not worth watching at times. I have also recently noticed that 28.1, (actual 11) my strongest station just started going out altogether for brief periods. I do not understand this.- Especially when I'm pulling well over 40-50% signal strength most of the time. I also noticed 44.2, .3, and .4 are occasionally doing the same thing. I am beginning to wonder if these are issues with the stations. I am wondering if WBRE cuts off for reasons of thier own they're not telling us about, and if WVIA shuts down those multi-cast channels when not in operation. ?????

Just wondering if anyone else in my area has noticed this or experienced similiar happenings.

Best Regards,
Eric
post #599 of 701 Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaeric View Post

Virtual 16 and 56, (WNEP and WOLF) being broadcast on actual digital 49 and 45, (respectively) have been giving me a bit of difficulty, however. I experience signal dropouts and pixelization quite often on those channels, making it not worth watching at times.

WNEP has a decent signal up here in east lackawanna county, even though there are a lot of trees (pre-amp necessary to receive signals). I notice occasional pixelization on WNEP, but WOLF is awful with drop out and pixelization quite often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaeric View Post

I also noticed 44.2, .3, and .4 are occasionally doing the same thing. I am beginning to wonder if these are issues with the stations.

Those subchannels are taken off the air when WVIA airs HD programming on 44.1, makes the picture look better (full bit rate).

Quality, not quantity!
post #600 of 701 Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone report on the status of WQMY? As best as I can tell (from 3k miles away), they have not commenced DTV operations as yet and are still running analog on an auxiliary facility. They had indicated they would end analog operations before 2/17, but that no longer seems likely.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page