Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 701 Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM

Location: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, Northeastern Pennsylvania
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jmoz2989: Thanks for the reply, up there in Lackawanna County. I have been having troubles in those channels with much dropout, making it barely worth watching, at times. 16, WNEP is probably my worst channel. Glad to hear your receiving WNEP well up in your area. I guess I'm not the only one with troubles on 56.1, .2, and .3.

I guess I can't really complain, considering that in 18 years living here, I have yet to receive any stations at all except perhaps, on a rare, good day one might expect to get a ghosty, snowy WBRE- 28, in analog, at best, until lately. (Exceptionally bad location) Anyway, since the digital signals came about, along with my own much, vast experimentation with various homebuilt antennas, I have made some very impressive, and significant strides in progress with reception.

I am beginning to wonder how much this might be related to my antenna, at this point. I have been experimenting a lot with homebuilt antennas, with help from some very knowledgeable guys here, in this forum. I will be making some modifications to the existing design to attempt to optimize the antenna, focusing on the problem frequencies in the upper 40's UHF band, as 56 is broadcast on 45, and 16 is actual 49. Currently, my antennas are optimized for VHF hi channels up to about 40, and probably about the best comprimise for channels ranging from actual 11-49, which is the makeup of our broadcast market area. I will likely focus the next antenna's gain to focus on the upper 40's band, where the stations that are weakest are.

By the way, with these antenna designs, I am doing quite well without any sort of amplifier. Much better than ever before. In the past, with commercially available antennas, and pre-amps, I did more poorly than I am currently doing with these antennas, alone.

Falcon_77: In regards to WQMY, I am receiving them as a sub-channel of WOLF on digital (actual) 45.3- (virtual 56.3). Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 701 Old 01-31-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaeric View Post

Falcon_77: In regards to WQMY, I am receiving them as a sub-channel of WOLF on digital (actual) 45.3- (virtual 56.3). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. It looks like they don't have their own DTV operating yet. Can you see any sign of analog 53? Perhaps not, since they are/were broadcasting well to the West (near Williamsport) and are obstructed by hills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #603 of 701 Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 AM

Hi everybody! I have relatives in Northeastern PA and they are thinking about getting an HDTV. They currently have Blue Ridge Communications, but they don't receive HD channels with their cable box. I was wondering if they just hooked up the TV without the box if they would get an HD signal on the digital subchannels. Such as WNEP in HD on 16-1 (even though its on cable channel 6) or WBRE in HD on 28.1 (its on with ch.3). I have an HDTV that I hooked up without the box and I get the HD signal on digital subchannels such as 2-1, 4-1.

Also, they live in Pike County, so they get the New York City stations on cable as well. Would they get the NYC digital stations as well, such as WCBS on 2-1, WNBC on 4-1, etc. I live in an area where I get stations from Johnstown, PA and from Pittsburgh, and I get digital subchannels from both markets on my TV.
post #604 of 701 Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

Hi everybody! I have relatives in Northeastern PA and they are thinking about getting an HDTV. They currently have Blue Ridge Communications, but they don't receive HD channels with their cable box. I was wondering if they just hooked up the TV without the box if they would get an HD signal on the digital subchannels. Such as WNEP in HD on 16-1 (even though its on cable channel 6) or WBRE in HD on 28.1 (its on with ch.3). I have an HDTV that I hooked up without the box and I get the HD signal on digital subchannels such as 2-1, 4-1.

Also, they live in Pike County, so they get the New York City stations on cable as well. Would they get the NYC digital stations as well, such as WCBS on 2-1, WNBC on 4-1, etc. I live in an area where I get stations from Johnstown, PA and from Pittsburgh, and I get digital subchannels from both markets on my TV.

That would depend on the model of the TV and whether or not they have an antenna. If they have an antenna on the house, and the TV is new enough to have an "ATSC Tuner" built-in, then they should be able to plug the antenna into the TV and scan for channels, picking up a whole bunch.
post #605 of 701 Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Location: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, Northeastern Pennsylvania
I only recieve WQMY in the digital channel. Whether or not in analogue, I cannot say, for sure. You must have quite an antenna or amplifier/s to be able to receive anything that distant from Connecticut.

As stated earlier, here in Northeastern PA, WQMY is a sub-channel of FOX 56, (virtual 56) better known as WOLF-TV, on actual 45. WQMY is on actual 45.3. (virtual 56.3.) It is frequently coined, "MyNetwork." Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Eric
post #606 of 701 Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The White House wants your opinion on The DTV Delay ACT Bill
President Obama wants to hear what the public has to say, you can comment here

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/dtv_delay_act/
post #607 of 701 Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Is anyone aware if WQMY is on the air with their digital transmitter? I was informed that they filed for their license, but I was not sure if they were even on the air yet. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks....

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
post #608 of 701 Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Glad to see this board is so active...and informative. Does anyone even read this Wilkes-Barre forum anymore?

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
post #609 of 701 Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 PM

WQMY is still in limbo. WNEP is changing its signal to UHF channel 50 and increasing the power (ERP) to 500kW on the new facility before June 12th.

DVR: Totally worth the monthly fee to get 15 minutes +/- of a busy life back!
Quality, not quantity!
post #610 of 701 Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This seems like a nice forum, so forgive me for perhaps straying a little off-topic.

First, I get cable from SECV (Shamokin) and the clear QAM HD channels are CW, NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, and usually PBS (WVIA). Last month SECV unscambled all the non-premium basic cable channels. That allowed me to turn off every analog channel and use a paper to find the SD channels by raw cable number on my TV and Sony DHD-HDD250. I'm going to try to get an OTA signal from WHP (40+ miles) when it warms up a little, but I live in a small valley with a small chance of OTA.

Strangely, I can only find the TV Guide data coming from C-SPAN (15). I was wondering if any SECV users here get TVGOS from any source. I might get a signal from the NE (40+ miles), but WYOU has told me they won't send the data, and I stopped supporting WVIA since they stopped XDS and TVGOS two months ago.

Any feedback wil be appreciated. Thanks.
post #611 of 701 Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Don't watch much cable tv . Mostly Blu-Rays and dvds.magor movie nut.I'm thinking of switch to Directv because it's cheaper and will fill any non dvd viewing hours.Has anybody had any experience with Service Electric HD vs. Directv. HD. How does the dish measure up in pic quality compared to SECV. Don't need tech stuff, just eyeball opinions.
Thanks
post #612 of 701 Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 PM

I have cousins who live in Lewisburg and this is their tv market.

WQMY is available at 56.3 (although now I see it claimed at 53.1 as well)

I live near State College, I'm jealous you guys get CW in HD.
post #613 of 701 Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 AM

I have three differnt HDTVs hooked to COMCAST here in NE PA

At times I do NOT use the cable box and my tuners go *way* into the 100's

Can';t remember NOW because I am at work but I *found* a bunch of HD
channels that normally are in the 2xx range using the digital box; this includes 'local' channels and E! among others if memory serves me.

YAY!

Anyone want to share info just 'e' me

kctobyjoe@comcast.net

I *think* my old registration is me and my OLD Verizon addy.

Giddyup !
post #614 of 701 Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post

I have three differnt HDTVs hooked to COMCAST here in NE PA

At times I do NOT use the cable box and my tuners go *way* into the 100's

Can';t remember NOW because I am at work but I *found* a bunch of HD
channels that normally are in the 2xx range using the digital box; this includes 'local' channels and E! among others if memory serves me.

YAY!

Comcast is slowing moving up the state changing to SDV. We'll all be screwed then. Best of luck.
post #615 of 701 Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 AM

In case I mistyped; what does the three letter acronym mean?; I surely don't know all the HDTV lingo by any stretch.

FWIW about a month or so ago, on 38-1, I got YES in HD
Otherwise you'd need a digital box and it is in the 200's
NOW that channel is listed as 'encrypted'. Oh well ;-(

Giddyup !
post #616 of 701 Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In case I mistyped; what does the three letter acronym mean?; I surely don't know all the HDTV lingo by any stretch.

FWIW about a month or so ago, on 38-1, I got YES in HD
Otherwise you'd need a digital box and it is in the 200's
NOW that channel is listed as 'encrypted'. Oh well ;-(

The 'encrypted' may change, or if that station on 38-1 was a local, it may have been moved. I have to do a rescan due to changes about once a month. I can live with that even though I get 500+ channels and only have 20 or so enabled. If your supplier has a web site, keep an eye on it. When new stations get added and advertised (like BigTen or VS) you should watch out for a channel shuffel.

Technically, a local station being carried by a cable service can not be scrambled. But since when has that stopped a monopoly? I get "locals" like WVIA, WYOU, WBRE, WOLF and WSWB in analog, SD and HD. All the basic cable channels (and distant network channels) are in SD. Only premium stuff like HBO is/are encryped.

SDV is Switched Digital Video. I call it "channel on demand" since only channels being viewed are sent through the cable. And you need "something" to tell your provider what to send. Only up side for us consumers is that it costs a lot for the provider to implement, so it will take years.
post #617 of 701 Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

My supplier, SECV (Shamokin) is going to send out QAM to analog converters for free so that they can drop all analog above channel 21. If you use SECV (Mahanoy City) you can get basic cable and local/remote network channels in clear QAM HD. Of course, this could all change.
post #618 of 701 Old 11-16-2009, 04:34 AM

Thankx Joe

Dont think it will affect me tho...thanks for the info

Having a h*ll of a time with Wintv software/7/tuining digital on my PC ;-(
I tried what I thought would work then remembered I have a licensed copy
of Beyond TV whcih I will install/run today Even the Media CEnter was/is stubborn icking up the OTA HD locals ;-( (with an antenna; not cable) . Win TV's tuner didn't want to scan for digital channels on COMCAST just being hooked to their wire without a converter box.

IT appears they have changed some of what I received in the 1xx-x area.
I know they can't 'scramble' local channels BUT does that mean that HD versions are immune too or is the law structured for only what was previously
analog.. We have 16, 22, 28, 38, 56, 44, 64, 67
Then their HD copunterparts 16.1; 16.2, 38.1, 56.1 etc...
Help!!!

Giddyup !
post #619 of 701 Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thankx Joe

Dont think it will affect me tho...thanks for the info

Having a h*ll of a time with Wintv software/7/tuining digital on my PC ;-(
I tried what I thought would work then remembered I have a licensed copy
of Beyond TV whcih I will install/run today Even the Media CEnter was/is stubborn icking up the OTA HD locals ;-( (with an antenna; not cable) . Win TV's tuner didn't want to scan for digital channels on COMCAST just being hooked to their wire without a converter box.

IT appears they have changed some of what I received in the 1xx-x area.
I know they can't 'scramble' local channels BUT does that mean that HD versions are immune too or is the law structured for only what was previously
analog.. We have 16, 22, 28, 38, 56, 44, 64, 67
Then their HD copunterparts 16.1; 16.2, 38.1, 56.1 etc...
Help!!!

I'm pretty sure that cable companies SHOULD send through broadcast channels as received. That would mean no messing with the signal. But cable companies are a monopoly and seldom get fined. I get, for example, WBRE in analog, SD and HD. The SD/HD channel numbers vary depending on the hardware. I have Sony, LG and Sanyo. All show a different (but similar) format. And I can testify from personal experience, unless we share the same zipcode, our cable signals are different.

I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista that works ok with a Hauppage HVR-1950 that worked ok on cable. I get nothing OTA on anything. The 1950 would lockup my XP system frequently. I'm casually shopping for a Windows 7 laptop, but in no rush. I just bought a new TV and need to pay that off first. I hope this helps, and if you want to get really into this stuff, check out TSReader. That's way more technology than I have time to use.
post #620 of 701 Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 AM

I have 7 on my DELL rig at home
I *forgot* I bought Beyond TV a while back and used that to tune in the digital channels.
I intend on getting a new i7xx box in the future with 7 Professional but not now
I have a Hauppage 950x USB tuner hooked to the dell
Distressed that it did NOT attempt to tune in digital hd channels only 'analog'
I have 2 lines split into it; one OTA the other COMCAST cable w/o a box
With my tvs; it scans up to around 2xx in channels; dunno why the tuning mechanism didnt do that with the stick. I want to be able to record cable and or OTS at my discretion. I was also suprised that Windows Media CEnterdidnt do teh job either. Maybe I am missing something.
I have 2 SONY 46" LCDs, a 20" TOSHIBA lcd hooked to the cOMCAST digital box and my DELL rig hooked up to just the cable itself w/o a box and an OTA setup.
Did that make sense???

Giddyup !
post #621 of 701 Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 7 on my DELL rig at home
I *forgot* I bought Beyond TV a while back and used that to tune in the digital channels.
I intend on getting a new i7xx box in the future with 7 Professional but not now
I have a Hauppage 950x USB tuner hooked to the dell
Distressed that it did NOT attempt to tune in digital hd channels only 'analog'
I have 2 lines split into it; one OTA the other COMCAST cable w/o a box
With my tvs; it scans up to around 2xx in channels; dunno why the tuning mechanism didnt do that with the stick. I want to be able to record cable and or OTS at my discretion. I was also suprised that Windows Media CEnterdidnt do teh job either. Maybe I am missing something.
I have 2 SONY 46" LCDs, a 20" TOSHIBA lcd hooked to the cOMCAST digital box and my DELL rig hooked up to just the cable itself w/o a box and an OTA setup.
Did that make sense???

The 950q is needed for QAM64/256 (cable digital) reception. I have one and it works with Vista but I haven't used it for a while. You are making perfect sense, but frustration is part of this "hobby". I do almost all my recording with two DHG-HDD250 Sony DVR recorders (see forum - 20k postings), LG LST-3410A (see forum), and also save to DVD-RAM on two Toshiba DVD units, one with a hard drive but neither are HD but they upconvert. I just got the Sony 32XBR9 since the price is dropping like a rock before the XBR10 & 11 hit the stores. It is sort of scary that my TV and DVD Blu-ray have MAC addresses. Next problem will be a virus attack on televisions!

You have confirmed that your Comcast has not gone off QAM to SDV? I notice that WYOU is my only analog channel that display all PSIP data. They dropped TVGOS which my Sonys need for their clock. I hope you can work things out.
post #622 of 701 Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
How is the picture quality of Comcast versus Dish/DirecTV?

Right now I'm on Dish and have been for the past three years but Comcast is slowly tempting me due to price and the ability to use a TiVo HD instead of Dish's DVRs.
post #623 of 701 Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM

I have a OTA problem. I live in Williamsport were we receive OTA from different towers than the main transmission towers in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. I have a Sony KDL-52XBR4 which receives channel 16-1 and 16-2 from a translator at physical channel 20. There is also a transmission tower which broadcasts at 29 (virtual 53.1,53.2,53.3), I cannot receive this signal my Sony says it cannot decode the signal. What is interesting is I just puchased an inexpensive Dynex from Bestbuy which receives the signal just fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the Sony? thanks for any help
post #624 of 701 Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhw1035 View Post

I have a OTA problem. I live in Williamsport were we receive OTA from different towers than the main transmission towers in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. I have a Sony KDL-52XBR4 which receives channel 16-1 and 16-2 from a translator at physical channel 20. There is also a transmission tower which broadcasts at 29 (virtual 53.1,53.2,53.3), I cannot receive this signal my Sony says it cannot decode the signal. What is interesting is I just puchased an inexpensive Dynex from Bestbuy which receives the signal just fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the Sony? thanks for any help

I'm not trying to be insulting but the XBR4 is not a new device. That said, you might try a rescan (not just an add) for all channels. Can you tune the Sony to 53.1 and get a signal?
post #625 of 701 Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM

What does the age of the device (just over 2 years manufactured Jan 2008) have to do with the ability of the ATSC tuner to receive a signal? By the why no insult taken. I do receive a signal (70-80 on the XBR meter) it just says it can not decode the signal.
post #626 of 701 Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:

What does the age of the device (just over 2 years manufactured Jan 2008) have to do with the ability of the ATSC tuner to receive a signal? By the why no insult taken. I do receive a signal (70-80 on the XBR meter) it just says it can not decode the signal.

You are getting multipath. Some TV's handle this better than others. The 16 (RF 20) translator is north of the city near the cemetery. The 53 (RF 29) is about 6 miles to the South West. If your antenna is pointed to the cemetery, you're getting a bounce of the 29 signal. You will need a rotor if you have an outdoor antenna.

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #627 of 701 Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM

If I disconnect the antenna (without moving it) from the XBR and connect it to the Dynex 53 (RF29) and 16 (RF20) come in equally well.
post #628 of 701 Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:

If I disconnect the antenna (without moving it) from the XBR and connect it to the Dynex 53 (RF29) and 16 (RF20) come in equally well.

What kind of antenna do you have? (Indoor/Outdoor)
What happens if you enter 29 [Enter] directly on the Sony remote without doing a re-scan?
You could have 100% signal on a station and if you're getting multipath, you won't see anything. It all depends on antenna orientation and the performance of your TV's ATSC equalizer.

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #629 of 701 Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Try entering 29-3.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #630 of 701 Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM

I live about 20 miles east of Binghamton in a poor reception area. I decided to experiment with an Antennacraft® HBU55 High-VHF/UHF Antenna today hoping to get a PBS station over the air. We are about 15 miles from the Binghamton transmitters and 72 miles from the Scranton transmitters. The worst obstructions are between me and Binghamton.

I discovered I can get the two VHF stations from Binghamton but not WSKG on channel 46. So I swung the antenna around towards Scranton and did a rescan. I can pull in WBRE reasonably well, and WYOU with a fair amount of breakup. No WVIA however.

So I started looking for transmitter power info and discovered that WVIA had a fire last month and is operating on a temporary transmitter.

Does anyone know if the temporary transmitter is running at the same power as their normal transmitter, or if once repairs are made if their power will increase? I keep hoping for PBS in HD one day.

As an FYI, I also tried Syracuse which is about the same distance from me. I get nothing from that direction.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page