Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 701 Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to say that there wouldn't be much hope for you to get WVIA over the air. Currently they are operating at 150kW of ERP and roughly the same height as their tower which transmits UHF 41 at 171 kW of ERP. The association that runs the station also had to make big budget cuts due to their loss of state grants, so the power increase that was scheduled may not ever happen now.

UHF is hard to receive in a fringe area, one would need a good amplifier or even an outdoor antenna with a pre-amplifier.

DVR: Totally worth the monthly fee to get 15 minutes +/- of a busy life back!
Quality, not quantity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 701 Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If you plug your location into TVFool.com and post the resulting bolded link (it will not reveal your address) it will tell a lot more about your specific situation.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #633 of 701 Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKessler View Post

I live about 20 miles east of Binghamton in a poor reception area. I decided to experiment with an Antennacraft® HBU55 High-VHF/UHF Antenna today hoping to get a PBS station over the air. We are about 15 miles from the Binghamton transmitters and 72 miles from the Scranton transmitters. The worst obstructions are between me and Binghamton.

I discovered I can get the two VHF stations from Binghamton but not WSKG on channel 46. So I swung the antenna around towards Scranton and did a rescan. I can pull in WBRE reasonably well, and WYOU with a fair amount of breakup. No WVIA however.

So I started looking for transmitter power info and discovered that WVIA had a fire last month and is operating on a temporary transmitter.

Does anyone know if the temporary transmitter is running at the same power as their normal transmitter, or if once repairs are made if their power will increase? I keep hoping for PBS in HD one day.

As an FYI, I also tried Syracuse which is about the same distance from me. I get nothing from that direction.

They had a transmitter fire that completely destroyed the facility. Prior to the fire they were on channel 41 at 200kw. They are now using WNEP's digital transmitter on channel 49 at 150kw until a new facility can be built. Do you receive any of the Scranton UHF stations?

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #634 of 701 Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson View Post

They had a transmitter fire that completely destroyed the facility. Prior to the fire they were on channel 41 at 200kw. They are now using WNEP's digital transmitter on channel 49 at 150kw until a new facility can be built. Do you receive any of the Scranton UHF stations?

I receive no UHF from either Scranton or Binghamton, despite being 15 miles from the Binghamton towers. I receive upper VHF pretty well from Binghamton and I get a clean signal from WBRE in Scranton which is 73 miles away according to Google Earth. WYOU on channel 13 is too weak to be viewable.

I was poking around looking for information on the Syracuse stations and see they only have lower VHF stations and UHF. My antenna is not designed to pick up lower VHF channels 2 through 6.

I find it odd that I get zip on UHF with this massive 12 foot long antenna.

Anyway, you gave me the information I needed. WVIA, even with a 50 KW increase in power, won't be viewable here. I'm still wondering why WSKG isn't working.
post #635 of 701 Old 10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
How's the quality of Comcast in Luzerne County? (ie. Wilkes-Barre / Swoyersville)

I'm currently subscribed to Dish Network but am thinking of switching to Comcast.

I'm interested in both the SD and HD quality...

Thanks for any info!
post #636 of 701 Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

How's the quality of Comcast in Luzerne County? (ie. Wilkes-Barre / Swoyersville)

I'm currently subscribed to Dish Network but am thinking of switching to Comcast.

I'm interested in both the SD and HD quality...

Thanks for any info!

I've heard nothing but bad things about cable in W-B from my folks who just moved from Hanover Twp (Carey Ave/Division St area). Don't know if things are any better in Swoyersville. They also were Dish subscribers; they had a very bad experience with DirecTV there.
post #637 of 701 Old 10-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Darn. It seems like every cable and satellite provider has problems.

Dish Network has been giving us some problems lately and I was also hoping to get a TiVo since they look really nice and have Netflix HD built in.

post #638 of 701 Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 AM

The quality of COMCAST (in Nanticoke anyway) is GREAT
Some of course appear better than others; HD looks fine on my 47" SONY XBR; 19" TOSHIBA and 32" Best Buy TV; all are 1080i capable.
There have been NUMEROUS outages tho; systems shut receivers down; reboot times seem to take forever; I DESPISE that.
I DO like however the _On Demand_ stuff they offer. AMAZED what is available; and some of the shows I regularly watch (5-0; The Event; Blue Bloods; etc)
Still looking for the Tom Hanks baseball flick;_A League of Their Own_; it isn't where they said it is (listed)
LOTS of programming and they are promising MORE with the new XFINITY upgrade in Dec
HOPEFULLY I will get the lowdown on watching on my PC as well.

New receivers AGAIN ?!?!?
Wonder what the deal will be with THESE ?!?!?
Anyone???
Also wonder if a cable line w/o a digital box will be ok with a Hauppage tuner; it isn't clear...

Giddyup !
post #639 of 701 Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post

The quality of COMCAST (in Nanticoke anyway) is GREAT

There have been NUMEROUS outages tho; systems shut receivers down; reboot times seem to take forever; I DESPISE that.

These two statements don't make sense together - if my cable system had numerous outages, there's no way I could say its quality were great.
post #640 of 701 Old 10-17-2010, 05:27 AM

If we choose to ignore the outrages and they occurred when I wasn't using the services (sometime at night)
It is a p.i.t.a. tho to go thru the reboot process; it seems to take forever; the phone and internet do not suffer the same delays.
Overall things are OK
Lightening tho can't be used as an excuse I don't think but that only happened once in years of service.

Giddyup !
post #641 of 701 Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to tell the actual bitrate that Comcast is using versus Dish Network, etc? Bitrate should determine the largest different in quality, right?
post #642 of 701 Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Is there any way to tell the actual bitrate that Comcast is using versus Dish Network, etc? Bitrate should determine the largest different in quality, right?
Apples to oranges, especially as Dish Network uses MPEG4 on its Eastern Arc, while Comcast is MPEG2.
post #643 of 701 Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 AM

New handout from COMCAST states need digital converter by Jan or Feb 2011
otherwise won't even get local stations; they have it phased in over 3 tiers.

Does this affect digital tuners like Hauppage makes for capture/view on a PC?

In other words do we need to hook up their converter first then the digital tuner to pull stuff in or am I mis-informed?

In another Q 720p vs 1080i

Is there a REAL eye catching difference? I am considering getting a 720P plasma at like $300 less than a 1080i plasma

All opinions welcome

kc

Giddyup !
post #644 of 701 Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post

New handout from COMCAST states need digital converter by Jan or Feb 2011
otherwise won't even get local stations; they have it phased in over 3 tiers.

Does this affect digital tuners like Hauppage makes for capture/view on a PC?

In other words do we need to hook up their converter first then the digital tuner to pull stuff in or am I mis-informed?

In another Q 720p vs 1080i

Is there a REAL eye catching difference? I am considering getting a 720P plasma at like $300 less than a 1080i plasma

All opinions welcome

kc

Yes even the broadcast tier will be all digital by early next year. Your digital tuner for a PC should not be affected, all broadcast tier channels will be left in the clear, anything beyond that requires use of a cable card. DTA converters are only meant for older televisions without digital cable tuners and a PC tuner does not require a cable box. If a television is 720p capable it would also be 1080i capable. What you probably mean is 1080p, and there is nothing other than blu-ray and a few specialty devices in video that go that high in resolution yet.

DVR: Totally worth the monthly fee to get 15 minutes +/- of a busy life back!
Quality, not quantity!
post #645 of 701 Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM

this is about 1080P, but the idea of the pixels is the same. I think you would have to be a REAL videophile to really notice the difference. However, depending on your budget, if you can afford the $300, spend it, or even look to upgrade to the 1080P. In any case you really can't go to wrong.

there is an article on cnet, I am new and could not post the full url but if you put the http: it should work
//reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/
post #646 of 701 Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I've kept up with posts and stuff with AVSForum for quite a while, but yeah, I've decided to quit lurking and start asking some questions.

I used to work in the telecommunications industry quite a few years ago. One of the things I did back then was installing/repairing antenna and satellite installations - quite a bit has changed since Primestar! I've been learning a LOT about OTA digital signal lately...

Anyway...

I live in Mountain Top, PA - just about a mile away from Penobscot Mountain, where most of the Wilkes-Barre market's transmission towers are located. Trust me, it's not a good thing. I'm getting killed with multipath and overload problems.

Here's my TVFool link:

w w w . t v f o o l . c o m /?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dda321d9c30e253

Currently, with an Antennas Direct DB4 mounted on a j-pipe outside of my office window, I can receive all the stations in the northeast quadrant of the radar map. Channel 43 comes in pretty well, with some occasional minor pixelating on its fourth sub-channel. Channel 31 is spotty, I haven't received it in a couple of weeks, but it's cool because I get it as a sub on another channel. I'm also using a decent RCA 10dB line amp to compensate for some cable loss.

Anyway, aside from some dropouts here and there (mainly on the VHF stations, when they happen, I either rig a dipole, or throw rabbit ears with folding dipoles into the loop, that cures it), reception is okay on those stations. My RCA converter box doesn't go beyond 70% for any channel - I assume because of overload. Even when I was using rabbit ears to pull in everything, it never got out of the 60% range. The DB4 gets me channel 43 at about 24% without the amp, and about 34% with.

Anyway...

I was hoping someone in the forums could offer suggestions for receiving channels in the southwest portion of the map. I haven't had success with anything I've tried. It's a bit frustrating for me because I can actually SEE two of those towers on a clear day!

Also, some variables thrown in, just for fun...

I live on the second floor of an apartment complex, so throwing a couple of amped-up eight-foot yagis on the roof isn't an option for me. I'm lucky I'm getting away with the DB4 outside my window. Running two antennas seems to be the best solution, especially since the building I live in runs right between the signal area. That is, if I point the antenna southwards, I'm running into the building blocking signal.

I'm looking into directional options, my favorite right now being installing an Antennas Direct SR-15 on my porch (with a combiner, keeping the DB4 where it is), and amping it up if need be. I have a Winegard 29dB amp that I'm not using - and an attenuator for it - just because I know 29dB unfiltered could (and probably would) multiply my overload problems.

I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas of how I could bring in those channels to the southwest? I also live close to FM transmitters, would an FM trap help me out? I'd love to get a frequency filter (Winegard has one at a reasonable price), but I have three UHF channels that are VERY close to the four channel range of the filter, two strong and one weak. Which would, of course, kill the weak one.

I was just hoping for some suggestions before I went out and spent some money on something that may or may not work.

Thanks
post #647 of 701 Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Saw no one has responded in awhile so I thought I'd give it a shot... I wasn't clear on what stations you said you were having pixilation problems with (43=W43CO? or WPMT out of Harrisburg?)

Depending on if you have height of your second floor porch, you may or may not have a chance.

You will need direct line of site to pick up those in the Southwest quadrant, and you may not need multiple antennas to do this, but you will need a directional antenna with an amp. Your DB4 is not incredibly directional and it is not designed for VHF which could explain some of your reception problems. You do not want an amp for those channels close by as you mentioned.

You are going to want to learn a little bit about an antenna's "lobes" or the directional patterns at which it receives as this may allow you to pick up your Wilkes Barre Scranton stations on a "secondary lobe" of a directional antenna pointed southwest towards those channels. I live in the harrisburg market so I'm not sure at the feasibility of picking those up (terrain, etc) but thought I'd throw a few ideas out there.

Hope this helps

73's
KJ3E
post #648 of 701 Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the response!

Actually, the second floor porch isn't all that high. The building I live in is built halfway inside of a hill, so the antenna (DB4) in the front of the building is about 16' off the ground, while the one for the porch will be located in the back, about 8' off the ground.

The frustrating thing is, I can SEE two of those towers, so yeah, total line of sight.

VHF? Yeah, I understand the DB4 isn't designed for VHF reception. It's cool. I use a set of RCA rabbit ears to pick up my local NBC and CBS affiliates. The DB4, even with how close I am to the towers can get finicky with VHF. I was looking at maybe picking up a CS 5 someday to play around with more distant VHF reception.

"You are going to want to learn a little bit about an antenna's "lobes" or the directional patterns at which it receives as this may allow you to pick up your Wilkes Barre Scranton stations on a "secondary lobe" of a directional antenna pointed southwest towards those channels."

That's very interesting, and it's something I haven't looked at. I appreciate it. Maybe a Channel Master CM2016 would do the trick. Highly directional UHF, with a set of omni-directional rabbit ears on the back of it.

Man, I love the Harrisburg stations! I had a steady atmosphere here the one night, and so help me God, I was picking up like 25 stations with two sets of RCA rabbit ears hooked up to the converter box using a cheap combiner! I thought I was on to something until I began reading into tropospheric stuff. Once the sun came up - BAM! Gone. Each channel disappeared one by one until I was left with what I normally pick up from the towers up the hill.

It was a lot of fun though! Which is mainly why I mess with this stuff to begin with!

I'm glad you replied. You gave me a new and different direction to go in. Thank you. Now that the holidays are over, and maybe if I can get a warm enough day somewhere...

I also got a Vizio blu-ray player for Christmas that has Netflix on it, so I got a little sidetracked with that, too...

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT OTA Nut View Post

Saw no one has responded in awhile so I thought I'd give it a shot... I wasn't clear on what stations you said you were having pixilation problems with (43=W43CO? or WPMT out of Harrisburg?)

Depending on if you have height of your second floor porch, you may or may not have a chance.

You will need direct line of site to pick up those in the Southwest quadrant, and you may not need multiple antennas to do this, but you will need a directional antenna with an amp. Your DB4 is not incredibly directional and it is not designed for VHF which could explain some of your reception problems. You do not want an amp for those channels close by as you mentioned.

You are going to want to learn a little bit about an antenna's "lobes" or the directional patterns at which it receives as this may allow you to pick up your Wilkes Barre Scranton stations on a "secondary lobe" of a directional antenna pointed southwest towards those channels. I live in the harrisburg market so I'm not sure at the feasibility of picking those up (terrain, etc) but thought I'd throw a few ideas out there.

Hope this helps

73's
KJ3E

post #649 of 701 Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

When did SE Cable Wilkes-Barre change owners? It looks as though Ed Walson no longer owns it and John Walson Jr took it over since it is now part of SECTV and Communications and no longer SE Broadband Cable.

Ryan, N2RJ

Opinions expressed are solely my own, and not that of my employers, its parent company, affiliates and subsidiaries.
post #650 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi -
Looking into setting up OTA for tv reception. Live in high elevation - almost the top of the mountain. Using Antennaweb I am told to get red or blue uhf antenna - but two of the channels are numbers 11 and 13 - which are vhf - right? I am less than 11 miles from the Penobscot Mountain towers. No high buildings nearby - some trees.

Next I went to TV Fool site. Here is the info they produced for me:

Should I be getting a UHF only antenna or a combo UHF & VHF?
Brand suggestions?
Pre amp or ???
Will I have to have it 30 ft above ground?

TIA,
Cindy
post #651 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpCJ View Post

Hi -
Looking into setting up OTA for tv reception. Live in high elevation - almost the top of the mountain. Using Antennaweb I am told to get red or blue uhf antenna - but two of the channels are numbers 11 and 13 - which are vhf - right? I am less than 11 miles from the Penobscot Mountain towers. No high buildings nearby - some trees.

Next I went to TV Fool site. Here is the info they produced for me:

Should I be getting a UHF only antenna or a combo UHF & VHF?
Brand suggestions?
Pre amp or ???
Will I have to have it 30 ft above ground?

TIA,
Cindy

Looks like you should have a pretty easy time picking up "the big 5" as they are all Line of Sight for your and only 10 miles away, and all in the same location.

Pretty much any combo (Yes, you need Hi-VHF and UHF) roof antenna, when properly pointed should do the trick.

Now if you want to pickup CW, your Independent, and ION, things get a bit more tricky.

I would recommend getting a preamp (any should do) and you would need a rotor because you are going to need to point it in a different orientation.

That said, if you really want to get technical, you may be able to point your antenna at the CW/ION tower and pickup the big 5 off the side, as long as you don't have anything in the way that would give you "multi-path" If you are just going this route, a smaller preamp would be warranted than say a CM7777 (radio shack's should do) as you don't want to "overdrive" the strong signals from the big 5. If you really wanted to get adventurous, you are on the fringe of Binghampton and if you got a Winegard VHF-Hi and an Antennas Direct DB4 and combined them with the CM7777, you could have some interesting out of market results.

Hope that helps more than confuse. Let me know any questions you may have.
post #652 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the fast response!

I have zero knowledge of antenna's - and don't really care if I get the CW or ION stations...just want a very reliable (not cheapest necessarily) solution.

I see that Channelmaster is sold thru ACE hardware, I don't know what Radio Shack may carry, and then Wineguard and others are sold online - like from Amazon.

I would prefer to buy local, so if I have to return to try a different model it's easier.

So I guess I will go to the ACE and Radio Shack stores and see what they offer in VHS/UHF combo - and directional - so I can just point it to Penobscot Mountain.

Any other tips for models?

TIA
Cindy
post #653 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpCJ View Post

Thanks for the fast response!

I have zero knowledge of antenna's - and don't really care if I get the CW or ION stations...just want a very reliable (not cheapest necessarily) solution.

I see that Channelmaster is sold thru ACE hardware, I don't know what Radio Shack may carry, and then Wineguard and others are sold online - like from Amazon.

I would prefer to buy local, so if I have to return to try a different model it's easier.

So I guess I will go to the ACE and Radio Shack stores and see what they offer in VHS/UHF combo - and directional - so I can just point it to Penobscot Mountain.

Any other tips for models?

TIA
Cindy

If all you care about it getting the big 5, then "Channel Master® Digital Advantage VHF/UHF High Band HDTV Antenna (2020)" should do from Ace. If you can't reliably pickup the signals you want, then I would go get the radio shack antenna amplifier, and that would guarantee you'll be able to pickup what you're looking for.

Use the TV Fool guide and a compass to point your antenna and you'll be set.
post #654 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT OTA Nut View Post

If all you care about it getting the big 5, then "Channel Master® Digital Advantage VHF/UHF High Band HDTV Antenna (2020)" should do from Ace. If you can't reliably pickup the signals you want, then I would go get the radio shack antenna amplifier, and that would guarantee you'll be able to pickup what you're looking for.

Use the TV Fool guide and a compass to point your antenna and you'll be set.

Antennacraft® HBU55 High-VHF/UHF Antenna would also probably work well if you're looking at Radio Shack.
post #655 of 701 Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know if Comcast sets the CCI (do not copy) flag on most of their channels?

I'm wondering about this before I switch from Dish Network to Comcast...

(ie. I'd like to use TiVo or setup a cable card DVR to record content but I don't want to be limited if CCI is set for every single channel...)
post #656 of 701 Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 AM

I am from Brodheadsville area
I remember around back in 2005 my Local radioshack said where I lived in Brodheadsville I will not be able to pickup anything in the Scranton WB area.
Well I did atad of reading and bought a Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-directional HDTV Antenna..
Well that kinda works at that time because I was getting about 3 stations channels are 16-22 and 28 if I remember,,,,But I was not able to get FOX.
I called up the Local Fox station and they said that it will be hard to get the station in my area.
Anyways I went with FTA statellite and want to get back in Getting my Locals in HD.
I see many people talk aboput VHF signals butttt I thought all the VHF signals are gone or will be gone soon.
I still have my Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-directional HDTV Antenna in my garage and I think I put the winegard amp in the garbage years ago.
Thinking this would be nice if I can get a picture.
1995 I was getiing a picture and tryed the antenna about a year ago on a pole and got nothing but I am willing to give it another shot.........JT
post #657 of 701 Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM

I just hooked up my Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-directional HDTV Antenna
indoors to see if the antenna works???I pickup Channel 24 in analog from WB scranton area...
Hope that when I have time to put outdoors that I will get HD stations,,,,,JT
post #658 of 701 Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey:

Channels 22 and 28 are on VHF (as is 60 from Bethlehem, if you care about that one) while the rest of the stations in the area are on UHF. What might help is to plug your location into TVFool.com and post the resulting image here, then we'll have an idea of what the signals look like for you.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #659 of 701 Old 05-08-2011, 01:47 PM

I went into TVFool and it shows lots of stations I should get...
I had a Big winegard Vhf/Uhf Antenna but it was kinda unless since
I was unable to get Bethlenhem of Philly stations and pnly a Few from the scranton and WB area....I also think I had a few HD stations in the 44 channel range.......
But since I am getting channel 24 in analog from WB,,,I feel once its outside and atads higher,maybe I will pickup a few HD Locals from WB since I had them once before...........MAYBE it was channel 22 lol..............JT
post #660 of 701 Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Channel 24 is from Stroudsburg.

Well, as you didn't post the output here, I can't really tell you much. But just based on the location you gave and depending on your exact location, I would suspect you could potentially receive 16-22-28-44-56 from Scranton and maybe 39-60-69 from Allentown as well. With a low-VHF antenna, you might be able to add WPVI-6 to your lineup, too.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page