Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'd agree about too many drop outs...

i was seeing a number of them again last night on MNF
I rechecked my signal and it was usually at 100 but would
drop down to a min. of 93.

Jeff, did you ask around or search on this problem in the computer hdtv section here at AVSForum?

I haven't seen the green line in your image posted on my screen, but i'm looking at it on a rear projection unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 701 Old 10-08-2002, 05:17 PM

Anyone from central new jersey getting this feed? (08902)

My coords are 40:26:04N 74:29:23W

I can't get my RCA DTC100 (CM 4248) to pick up any of these channels. Am I too far away?

thanks guys,

Jim
post #93 of 701 Old 10-09-2002, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,
I was watching the HD feed for the first time last night. There was a small problem with it. There was a green line on the right side on the very edge. It was flickering thoughout the whole night and was distracting. Another thing I noticed about it was when the feed switched over to local channels, there was a pop and the line was gone. Once the national feed came back, there was a pop and the green line came back. I replied to one of the Toy Story threads about it, but no one noticed the line I guess. Everyone said it looked great. Could it have been WNEP's equipment causing it? Maybe Dave could help us out. Or maybe he couldn't? I am assuming that if you watched the feed on a TV, you would not see it due to overscan. I mean it was the very, very edge. I could see it because on the computer monitor, there is actually a small amount of black along each side before the picture begins. It gives me true edge to edge.

I took your advice and called the station when I first saw it. I tried the engineering department, but no one answered. I left Mike a voicemail explaining what I saw, but not with as much detain as I have here. I hope it's not always like that because it really distracting you from the otherwise flawless picture. Let me know if I'll crazy, picky, or right!

One last thing, is it normal to experience more pixelation and audio dropouts at night? Your feed seems to do it more that PBS's. Do you think some kind of Channel Master preamp or distribution amp would help?

Jeff

Jeff,
I'll look into the green bar problem tomorrow. I don't have a PC tuner card there but do have a Sony HD monitor with an underscan button. I'll look for it during the daily ABC test and report back.

Mike told me you called. Have me paged if it's before 2pm.

As far as the pixelation, I would definately look at putting your antenna outside before purchasing a preamp. The roof definately attenuates the signal and once you get snow or ice on it, forget it.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #94 of 701 Old 10-09-2002, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwmoss
Jeff,

Sorry I didn't watch Toy Story yesterday, so I can't comment
on the "thin green line". I do notice pixelation on the WNEP feed,
more often then I would expect. I only have a Radio Shack
Double Bow tie but i get a 100% signal received at my Hughes
E86 receiver in Thornhurst.

Stu,

See we are watching and paying attention out here!! I didn't mind the gray bars on the side, it was just the "thin black bars" immediately
next to the gray bars that were distracting. I'd perfer gray bars without the thin black lines!! =) Picky aren't we?

What are channel 16-1 broadcasting hours on the weekends. I was hoping to watch the PSU game on 16-1 but it wasn't there at the beginning. I noticed the end of the game it was on, maybe I should
of rechecked sooner. =)

Hi Dave,
I'm checking to see if I can run the grey sidepanels *and* eliminate the black lines. I've been busy with other projects and haven't had much time to tinker with it. I know what causes it, just need to decide if I should tackle it on the analog or digital side.

The weekend hours are the same as weekday - 6pm to midnight.

BTW: Today we decided to move the Penguins hockey replays from Saturday and Sunday to Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #95 of 701 Old 10-09-2002, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Stu,
The green line was there again, but only during Drew Carey. It's not there right now during MNF. I have included a shot from Toy Story to show. It's on the right side and it's tiny. It's not the size, but the flicker that's distracting.

The dropouts could be a problem. They seem quite frequent, even though the signal is locked in the low 80's.

Jeff

Thanks for the frame grab! I will fix this problem for you.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #96 of 701 Old 10-09-2002, 03:13 PM

Quote:
i'd agree about too many drop outs...

i was seeing a number of them again last night on MNF
I rechecked my signal and it was usually at 100 but would
drop down to a min. of 93.

Jeff, did you ask around or search on this problem in the computer hdtv section here at AVSForum?

I haven't seen the green line in your image posted on my screen, but i'm looking at it on a rear projection unit

Jeff/Dave:
Tonight I have someone watching the off-air feed at the studio looking for abnormailities in the pic/sound. This will help me determine if we are transmitting the problem or it's simply a reception problem.
I will report back here.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #97 of 701 Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 AM

Stu,

thanks for all the help and informatin you've been providing.
is there anybody we can formally request to turn the signal
on earlier in the weekends?

Also, i'm confused about the baby penguins games.
your website states that you'll be showing 25 games
on adelphia 63 (no help) and 16-2 (yeah!)
for instance one of those is tonights (10/10) game

will you be showing the list of 25 games Live or are they all going to be replays?

thanks again
dave

Jeff: did you check out the forums here for you htpc card and the green line?
post #98 of 701 Old 10-10-2002, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Stu,

thanks for all the help and informatin you've been providing.
is there anybody we can formally request to turn the signal
on earlier in the weekends?

Also, i'm confused about the baby penguins games.
your website states that you'll be showing 25 games
on adelphia 63 (no help) and 16-2 (yeah!)
for instance one of those is tonights (10/10) game

will you be showing the list of 25 games Live or are they all going to be replays?

thanks again
dave

Jeff: did you check out the forums here for you htpc card and the green line?

Dave,
All 25 games will be broadcast LIVE on 16-2 and Adelphia 63. Each of those 25 games will also be replayed at a later time. Currently the rebroadcast plan looks like this:

Games broadcasted live on Thursday nights will playback the following Tuesday evening. The Saturday games will playback on the following Thursday. Games played on Wednesdays playback the next day.

Did that answer your question?

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #99 of 701 Old 10-10-2002, 01:53 PM

Dave/Jeff:
I was able to clearly see the green vertical bar during the HD broadcasts on a underscanned Sony HDTV monitor today. I wasn't able to tweak it out so I called the encoder support folks and they acknowledge the problem. A fix is being developed but no one could tell me when to expect it. For now we need to live with it.

Secondly, the 16-1 signal was monitored closely last night from 8:30pm to about 10pm. There were no video pixelation problems at all, however there were several occurances of audio dropouts. I'm investigating to see if they are coming in from ABC or a problem in the path to the transmitter.

Just wanted to keep you up to date.....

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #100 of 701 Old 10-10-2002, 09:48 PM

Stu,
Thanks for the update. It makes me feel better that I'm not crazy and seeing things. I hope the encoder company gets a fix out before the SuperBowl. That's going to be my HD demo day to the family.

The pixelation is very rare on any given night. I assumed it was my reception causing it. The audio did worry be though. There is rarely a visual sign that there is a reception problem. Tonight it seemed more frequent than any other night. I happened I'd say every few minutes. Not good.

The upconverts of the local news look great, especially the content coming right from the studio. Sometimes that look a little washed out, but I think that's because I'm used to the HD content.

Now for the really, really picky stuff. Mark posted the 16-2 and 16-3 are 480p. My Hipix card says that it is 480i. It don't think it really makes a difference, but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

I think that I've become to critical, so I'll stop now.

Dave, I did search around some on the Hipix. I didn't see anything about a green line. It does turn out that I was right on. It's a scary thing. I do agree with you that the signal should be on sooner on the weekend, but we don't have to pay the bill so I guess we'll leave that to Stu.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #101 of 701 Old 10-11-2002, 06:54 AM

One last thing I forgot to mention. TitanTV has WYOU listed as October 21st now. Since the 8th it was listed as Under Review. What would Under Review mean? The equipment is in and being tested or they are filing for another extension?

Jeff

post #102 of 701 Old 10-13-2002, 03:38 PM

I got to listen to the Dolby Digital track last night on Enemy of the State. It sounded great. So did my recording of Toy Story 2. The only bad thing was the dropouts. Hopefully that can be resolved soon.

Jeff

post #103 of 701 Old 10-14-2002, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

WBRE also says 10/21 on TitanTV. They're digital feed is on Channel 13- anyone see any signs of testing yet?
post #104 of 701 Old 10-14-2002, 09:41 PM

Paul,
WBRE will be on channel 11. CBS is WYOU. I haven't seen any testing, but then again, I haven't been looking. The original date was the 8th, but got pushed back. I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back again.

Jeff

post #105 of 701 Old 10-15-2002, 09:58 AM

i have an email responce from WBRE and WYOU indicating that whenever they do finally get around to broadcasting digitally they will only be upconverting their current signal and not giving us the hdtv from CBS or NBC until pigs fly or something to that effect.

well ok, maybe not that long but they did take a dig at WNEP and all the money they have to spend!!

I'll post it here from home some evening

dave

ps. come on how about those saturday afternoon college football games making it onto 16-1 .... please, please, please
post #106 of 701 Old 10-15-2002, 11:09 AM

Dave,
You're lucky. I never got a response from them on their HD status. It's no surprise that they will only be upconverting. They have no money. Their local broadcasting is pretty crappy when you compare them to WNEP. I guess the only thing I can ask is, did they give a date of when they will begin? TitanTV has the 21st, assuming it is correct.

Jeff

post #107 of 701 Old 10-15-2002, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Their financial condition is pretty apparent when you watch their local news and check out their website. WNEP's constant website communication and quality of local programming is far superior. Guess we'll have to hope we can get WCAU-DT with more reliability for our NBC HD viewing once they upgrade their power.
post #108 of 701 Old 10-15-2002, 07:29 PM

Paul,
Where is WCAU out of? I may need to move and/or upgrade my antenna to get it. I would really love to get CBS too. I think 90-100 miles in just too far to get reception from any other major city. It's a major dilemma.

Jeff

post #109 of 701 Old 10-16-2002, 08:11 AM

Jeff,

did stu fix the green line for you yet???

dave
post #110 of 701 Old 10-16-2002, 08:42 AM

Dave,
Yes and no. He did look into it and found that I was right on with the overscan issue and not being able to see it on a normal TV. He contacted the encoder company about the problem and they acknowledged that it is a known problem. They have a fix in the works, but no date as of when it will be in. Stu also said that he is looking into the sound dropout problem.

I wonder where Stu has been lately? He hasn't posted anything in almost a week now. Hope everything is OK.

Jeff

post #111 of 701 Old 10-16-2002, 11:55 AM

Jeff,

Maybe he has to get some work done, besides giving us the info on WNEP-DT. For instance, I'm hoping he's so busy, trying to talk them into broadcasting earlier on Saturdays for the NCAA football games or maybe he's trying to get WNEP to buy some HD cameras for broadcasting the baby pens games!!

Dave
post #112 of 701 Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 PM

Dave,
I'm hoping that he is busy trying to convince WYOU and WBRE to do it right and go HD. Maybe there is a little too much wishful thinking there! I'm sure he's busy doing things that he always had to do before WNEP-DT came along. I'm happy enough that Stu even listens to our concerns. He takes it a step further and acts on them. No other local TV station even comes close to that.

Jeff

post #113 of 701 Old 10-18-2002, 07:41 AM

Jeff,

I agree, it is very nice to have Stu here as a resources. I watched a little of push, nevada last night and did not see any drop outs occuring. Don't know if it was due to limited viewing on my part, the phase of the moon or something Stu had to do with

dave
post #114 of 701 Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM

Dave,

Hopefully it's Stu tweaking the system. I'll watch some stuff this weekend and see if I notice any dropouts. Hopefully he'll let us know how the situation is going when he drops by again.

Have you seen any testing by WYOU or WBRE? I haven't and don't think we will. I don't think they will be on the air by the 21st like TitanTV has posted. What do you think?

Jeff

post #115 of 701 Old 10-18-2002, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff-
WCAU is the NBC affiliate in Philly. I get ABC and CBS regularly, but the signal from WCAU is 10% or less. They are apparently in the process of upgrading their equipment and will be sharing a tower with Fox as well. The upgrade has been reported elsewhere in this forum as on schedule to be done this fall.
post #116 of 701 Old 10-19-2002, 02:39 PM

Paul,
It looks like WCAU is out of the question for me. That is about 90-100 miles away from where I am. I don't think I will be able to pull any of them in.

Jeff

post #117 of 701 Old 10-19-2002, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff-
If you can try tonight, the signals from Philly are particularly strong. I'm getting NBC and Fox at 50%, which is highly unusual for me.

Good luck,
Paul
post #118 of 701 Old 10-20-2002, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Hopefully it's Stu tweaking the system. I'll watch some stuff this weekend and see if I notice any dropouts. Hopefully he'll let us know how the situation is going when he drops by again.

Have you seen any testing by WYOU or WBRE? I haven't and don't think we will. I don't think they will be on the air by the 21st like TitanTV has posted. What do you think?

Jeff

I'm back!
Too busy to go on the internet this last week.
This week I changed the fiber emitter and receiver between our 2 buildings at the transmitter. This should cure any dropout problems that we have transmitted. If you see anymore it is a reception or a source (ABC) problem. The fiber units that were in place were designed for RF, not mpeg. They were on loan to us until the manufacturer got the right units.

I'll be up the mountain again this week and I'll look for any new antennas from the Klingons and Romulens and report back.

Paul: What was the email response you got from WBRE/WYOU? Most of the stations in the US will be doing what they plan - simply upconverting the analog.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #119 of 701 Old 10-20-2002, 09:02 AM

Quote:

i have an email responce from WBRE and WYOU indicating that whenever they do finally get around to broadcasting digitally they will only be upconverting their current signal and not giving us the hdtv from CBS or NBC until pigs fly or something to that effect.

well ok, maybe not that long but they did take a dig at WNEP and all the money they have to spend!!

I'll post it here from home some evening

dave

ps. come on how about those saturday afternoon college football games making it onto 16-1 .... please, please, please

Dave,
Can you send me that response either here or to hdtv@wnep.com? I'm curious what they said. Also, what time on Saturday do the games start?

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #120 of 701 Old 10-21-2002, 09:14 AM

Stu,

I'll post the responce here. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

I'm glad you found something regarding the drop outs.
Thanks again for keeping us up to date with all the info

dave

ps. Some games on saturdays start at 1:00 others at 3:30pm
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page