post #181 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by SGKishJR
Sorry to change the subject guy's, but is anybody having problem's recieving ABC out of philly?I can recieve CBS,NBC,FOX,UPN,WB with no problem's.If I repoint my antenna I can pick up ABC but loose it after awhile.I am using the Samsung SIR T-151.

Thanks, Steve

No problem in Nazareth, PA.
Watched ABC out of Philly last night from 8P to 10P on my SIRT165 with no problems.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the response rjruby,guess I will be repointing my antenna tonight "hope the snow is melted".What channels are you getting from the Philly area?

Thanks, Steve
post #183 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response rjruby,guess I will be repointing my antenna tonight "hope the snow is melted".What channels are you getting from the Philly area?

Thanks, Steve

The following table indicates the digital stations I receive with the signal level on my Dish 6000. Note that WFMZ is relocatiing their antenna and is off the air.

DIGITAL
CHANNEL STATION SIGNAL LEVEL
26 KYW 80%
64 WPVI 80%
67 WCAU 65%
23 WLYH 70%
54 WPHL 85%
42 WTXF 80%
43 WNJT 70%
46 WFMZ 75%
32 WPSG 85%
62 WLVT 75%
41 WVIA 85%
49 WNEP 90%
post #184 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,

I think I can elaborate my claim some more after tonight. I was watching NYPD Blue. During the commercials, things looked great. Colors were rich. There is an exception though. When the feed went to a local commercial, the washed out look was apparent. After the commercial, everything was back to normal. After a few times of watching it happen, I figured out a common link between the washed out look and the feed. It only happens when the green line disappears. I'm not sure if the national commercials are upconverted by ABC during HD programs or if you do it. The washed out look only seems to be there when the normal analog feed is being upconverted, assuming ABC does the national commercial upconverts during HD programs. The best example of what is going on is during a fade to black between commercials. During an HD program, the fade goes to true black. Between local commercials, it goes to more of a gray. I took notice to this many times to rule out a freak occurrence. I'm not saying that I'm right, but maybe a little more info can point things in the right direction to solving it.

Jeff

Jeff,
Has it always been that way or is this something new? I have not seen it but I can definitely check that tomorrow. I can crush the black levels a bit and see what happens. It should be quiet there tomorrow so I should have time to play with it.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #185 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Sorry to change the subject guy's, but is anybody having problem's recieving ABC out of philly?I can recieve CBS,NBC,FOX,UPN,WB with no problem's.If I repoint my antenna I can pick up ABC but loose it after awhile.I am using the Samsung SIR T-151.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure of your location but can you pick up the Scranton ABC on 49?

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #186 of 701 Old 11-27-2002, 10:36 PM

Stu,

It's something that I have noticed since day one. I never really to notice of it because I just figured it was because I was use to watching HD. I'm glad that you will look into it. I also hope I am helping and not just nagging you with little picky problems.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #187 of 701 Old 11-28-2002, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Stu,

It's something that I have noticed since day one. I never really to notice of it because I just figured it was because I was use to watching HD. I'm glad that you will look into it. I also hope I am helping and not just nagging you with little picky problems.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
Check tonight. I spent some time this morning checking the system and the black level on the upconverted video was 5% too high. You should notice a difference now.
Thanks for pointing this stuff out.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #188 of 701 Old 11-28-2002, 09:24 PM

Stu,

I caught some time today to see it. I was watching at noon when it was on and then later on tonight too. I guess around noon you were testing. To get to the point, it looked much better on my end. Thanks!

Any word on WBRE/WYOU? Not even a date, just how about if they will ever go digital? It sure is taking a long time to install their transmitters.

Jeff

post #189 of 701 Old 11-29-2002, 04:02 PM

Hi swilson,
My location is 8 miles south of Easton PA on top of a mountain in Williams Township.I am not sure if I can pick up WNEP, Scranton PA is pretty fair.I once pointed my antenna north and picked up an HDTV loop from a PBS station at 90% sig. but was not sure if it was the Scranton area.I really need an antenna rotor with the antenna I'm using "CM 3023 with 7775 preamp".

Thanks , Steve
post #190 of 701 Old 11-29-2002, 04:11 PM

Hi rjruby,

What kinda antenna set-up are you using?They are pretty good signal 's for being in Nazareth.Are you at a higher elavation towards Bath?
You are getting better reception that I am from Philly and I am closer to the Roxborough tower's than you. Good job

Thanks ,Steve
post #191 of 701 Old 11-29-2002, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Stu,

I caught some time today to see it. I was watching at noon when it was on and then later on tonight too. I guess around noon you were testing. To get to the point, it looked much better on my end. Thanks!

Any word on WBRE/WYOU? Not even a date, just how about if they will ever go digital? It sure is taking a long time to install their transmitters.

Jeff

I did have the transmitter on at noon on Thanksgiving to set those levels. Next time ABC is feeding HD, compare the black levels to the upconverted video and let me know how it is.

Still hear nothing on WBRE/WYOU.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #192 of 701 Old 11-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Hi swilson,
My location is 8 miles south of Easton PA on top of a mountain in Williams Township.I am not sure if I can pick up WNEP, Scranton PA is pretty fair.I once pointed my antenna north and picked up an HDTV loop from a PBS station at 90% sig. but was not sure if it was the Scranton area.I really need an antenna rotor with the antenna I'm using "CM 3023 with 7775 preamp".

Thanks , Steve

Steve,
You could probably pickup WNEP (ABC) on 49. The loop you saw was WVIA on 41. Their transmitter is on the same mountain next to ours.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #193 of 701 Old 11-29-2002, 09:13 PM

swilson,

I will swing my antenna north to see if I can pick up WNEP saturday afternoon.I let you know how I made out.

Thank's, Steve
post #194 of 701 Old 11-30-2002, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi rjruby,

What kinda antenna set-up are you using?They are pretty good signal 's for being in Nazareth.Are you at a higher elavation towards Bath?
You are getting better reception that I am from Philly and I am closer to the Roxborough tower's than you. Good job

Thanks ,Steve

My physical location is in the development behind the Lower Nazareth Elementary School...near the Newburg Inn.

Bob
post #195 of 701 Old 12-05-2002, 07:33 PM

It looks like WYOU is up and running. WBRE comes up as being there, but no picture or sound and only comes in at 5%. It's a start and it looks real nice for an upconvert.

Jeff

post #196 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 06:58 AM

jeff,

whats the channel for WYOU?

I guess i can find it when I auto scan for the channel....

dave
post #197 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 10:58 AM

Dave,

WYOU is on 13 and WBRE is on 11. They both map to their normal channel numbers that we are used to, 22 and 28 respectively. WBRE only comes in at 25-30%, whereas WYOU is at about 50%. I guess they are not splitting the power evenly to each channel. They both are running at 480i and 15Mbps. Both look good for upconverts, especially the local news. They are both live right now at 2pm. Surprised they are on so early. Let us know how the reception is for you.

Jeff

post #198 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 11:48 AM

Jeff,

thanks for the information. i'll let everyone know how it looks for me. I'm worried though that it will be a long, long time until WBRE or WYOU will pass through CBS & NBC 1080i signals. I think an email responce from Barry made a comment about a long, long time until they send out a HD signal. I hope i'm wrong!!

dave
post #199 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Dave,

WYOU is on 13 and WBRE is on 11. They both map to their normal channel numbers that we are used to, 22 and 28 respectively. WBRE only comes in at 25-30%, whereas WYOU is at about 50%. I guess they are not splitting the power evenly to each channel. They both are running at 480i and 15Mbps. Both look good for upconverts, especially the local news. They are both live right now at 2pm. Surprised they are on so early. Let us know how the reception is for you.

Jeff

I'm disappointed in the fact that WBRE is receiving the analog 28 off-air at the dtv transmitter then upconverting it. If you look closely at any text you will see a ghost.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #200 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 01:11 PM

Stu,

Thanks for the sad news!! Why am I not surprised?? You should consult for them in the evenings and get them setup properly!!

dave
post #201 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwmoss
Stu,

Thanks for the sad news!! Why am I not surprised?? You should consult for them in the evenings and get them setup properly!!

dave

I just confirmed my findings since I wrote that message. That is exactly what they are doing. The WYOU picture should be a bit sharper since they can grab that directly off the WYOU STL.

So how are we looking lately? I know the "pixelation" problem still exists but I am actively working on it as time permits. The "black level" problem Jeff noticed is solved. Sometimes the viewers have better eyes than me!!

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #202 of 701 Old 12-06-2002, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Dave,

Jeff

I'm located in Paupack Township and I can't get WYOU or WBRE to come in at all. The "digital" LED on my SIR-T165 tuner lites up for a second when I tune to either 11 or 13, but then drops back to analog/weak signal. Hopefully they are not running at full power yet; I have the biggest VHF antenna Winegard makes 22' up the mast on top of my roof (+ preamp), and if that doesn't cut it I'm SOL.
post #203 of 701 Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 PM

Anyone know what's going on with WBRE? It's not there anymore. I get a 5% signal strength. WYOU works fine. Stu, can you enlighten us?

Jeff

post #204 of 701 Old 12-10-2002, 05:24 AM

Jeff,

You can email Barry @ WBRE/WYOU at berick@nbga.net. He has been very helpful; I emailed him a few times over the weekend and he usually replied within a few hours.

He did say that they are operating at their full allocated power.

-John
post #205 of 701 Old 12-11-2002, 06:57 AM

Jeff H,

I'm glad your having good luck with Barry. I think i've harassed him enough that he dosen't respond to me in such a timely fashion.

Next time you email him ask him for a time frame on him passing through the 1080i feeds from CBS and NBC!!

Stu,

I haven't looked lately at the 16-1 feed. I've been working on doing a manual convergence on my Sony RPTV and busy with a whole bunch of other things that's prevented me from enjoying 16-1. I know the last time I was watching 16-1 I was so disgusted with the pixelation that I turned it off!!

Dave
post #206 of 701 Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 AM

The problem with WBRE is now fixed. It was the PSIP equipment had gone down, causing my Hipix card to not being able to find WBRE. That didn't solve my problem though. It turns out that the WBRE antenna is mapped toward Wilkes Barre and WYOU is mapped towards Scranton. That would explain why I can't pull WBRE in. I'm disappointed with that.

Another weird phenomenon is that the signal strength on WNEP and WYOU have changed drastically for me. Last night WNEP fell by 20% and WYOU jumped by 15%. Very strange indeed.

One last thing, anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor antenna that can be mounted either on a window sill or on the side of a house? My roof is too high pitched for me to go climbing up on it. I have 2nd and 3rd floor windows that would be much easier to install stuff near.

Thanks,
Jeff

post #207 of 701 Old 12-12-2002, 06:21 AM

Stu,

i was watching george lopez show last night on 16-1 and things looked ok. Still some pixelation problems but not as bad as the last time I watched and got disgusted.

Jeff W.,

can't help you with antenna choices, i'm using a RS double bowtie, setup outside.

dave
post #208 of 701 Old 12-14-2002, 09:17 PM

Stu,

Major problems tonight. Pixelation and signal dropouts way beyond acceptable. The signal wasn't on until about 8:15 too. Not sure what was up with that. I called a left a message and it was on 10 minutes later, so I guess that worked. The strangest thing of the night definitely the fluctuation in the signal. It would jump from 75% to 25% and back to 75%. Never had that happen before at any time. Please fill me in on what was going on.

Jeff

post #209 of 701 Old 12-15-2002, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Stu,

Major problems tonight. Pixelation and signal dropouts way beyond acceptable. The signal wasn't on until about 8:15 too. Not sure what was up with that. I called a left a message and it was on 10 minutes later, so I guess that worked. The strangest thing of the night definitely the fluctuation in the signal. It would jump from 75% to 25% and back to 75%. Never had that happen before at any time. Please fill me in on what was going on.

Jeff

Jeff,
What night are you talking about here? The transmitter cannot change power like you describe - it has to be a reception problem - probably weather related. I'll find out why it did not come on until 8:15.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #210 of 701 Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 AM

Quote:

The problem with WBRE is now fixed. It was the PSIP equipment had gone down, causing my Hipix card to not being able to find WBRE. That didn't solve my problem though. It turns out that the WBRE antenna is mapped toward Wilkes Barre and WYOU is mapped towards Scranton. That would explain why I can't pull WBRE in. I'm disappointed with that.

Another weird phenomenon is that the signal strength on WNEP and WYOU have changed drastically for me. Last night WNEP fell by 20% and WYOU jumped by 15%. Very strange indeed.

One last thing, anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor antenna that can be mounted either on a window sill or on the side of a house? My roof is too high pitched for me to go climbing up on it. I have 2nd and 3rd floor windows that would be much easier to install stuff near.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
I just saw this message after I wrote the last one. You appear to have an antenna problem since the other stations are changing level also. You really need to move your antenna outside. Attic installations don't work well for obvious reasons. Any UHF/VHF antenna combo is going to be large. Probably too large for a inside window installation. Go to www.channelmaster.com and look at the mounting hardware section. They make eave mounts you can mount on the side of your house or chimney. That may be a better solution for you.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page