Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 701 Old 12-15-2002, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stu,

I was watching Armageddon last night using. I started out using the built-in tuner on my F38310 and it was dropping out pretty bad, even though the signal meter was indicating it's usual 65-70% strength (I am located in near Lake Wallenpaupack.) I then switched over to my SIR-T165 STB and had no dropouts and very few pixelizing after that.

I did notice however that the commercials seem to be significantly louder than the program material. This must be coming direct off the network feed, because my audio system continues to indicate Dolby-D. (It drops out of Dolby when local program material, i.e. news promo, is presented.

BTW, I taped MD's on the DVHS the other night, and it had almost no blocking/pixelizing during the show. I think things have been looking pretty decent lately on WNEP.

If you get a chance, how about checking out my post at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=1639233 and see if you have any thoughts on my VHF reception woes.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 701 Old 12-15-2002, 11:15 AM

Hey Stu,
Im still in high school but was wondering what kind of degrees/experience do you need for a profession in your type of work? It seems very interesting to me.
thanks
post #213 of 701 Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 PM

I'm sorry for this message which is a bit off topic. I'm relatively new to the HD scene (no pun intended), having bought my HighDef Sat Receiver (Toshiba DST3000) about 6 months ago to accompany my newly built theater. I have to say that I have been more than impressed with the picture quality coming from HDNet, ShowHD and HBOHD.

At the same time, I purchased a Terk 55 OTA antenna. The installers made sure I knew it was directional and that I might not be able to pick up everything that is available in the area (I am in Madison, NJ). As it is, I get Fox out of 2 areas and CBS. I do not get NBC or ABC. I am now thinking about putting the Terk on a rotator so that I can get some more benefit from the OTA signals.

Stu and the rest - I am very impressed by what you are doing at your station and the interaction, reaction and responsiveness you are providing your viewers. I have never seen a broadcaster react to feedback/comments/requests as you are in your constant attempt to improve the HD signals you are providing.

My question is, does anyone know if these signals can be reached as far east as Madison, NJ (07940)? If yes, should I be able to do it with the Terk or do I need a more substantial OTA antenna?

Thanks in advance for the input!

David Steinman

------------
Regards,
David
post #214 of 701 Old 12-16-2002, 04:49 AM

Hi David,

I checked the CEA site at http://www.antennaweb.org, and it does not indicate that you will be able to receive any of the northeast PA stations even with the largest outdoor antenna.

You may need the rotor; The CEA site is indicating transmitters in several different locations. Check out the site and see what stations you want and what direction you need your antenna to face.

-John
post #215 of 701 Old 12-16-2002, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swilson
Jeff,
What night are you talking about here? The transmitter cannot change power like you describe - it has to be a reception problem - probably weather related. I'll find out why it did not come on until 8:15.

- Stu -

Jeff,
The computer that turns the transmitter on and off was in a bad mood when I checked it today. I took care of it.
I started logging the power output every 5 minutes. This way I can see for certain if the power level is changing.

- Stu -

P.S. Mark setup the HDTV board on wnep.com today. I'll be spending more time there answering questions.

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #216 of 701 Old 12-16-2002, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jhutchey
Stu,

I was watching Armageddon last night using. I started out using the built-in tuner on my F38310 and it was dropping out pretty bad, even though the signal meter was indicating it's usual 65-70% strength (I am located in near Lake Wallenpaupack.) I then switched over to my SIR-T165 STB and had no dropouts and very few pixelizing after that.

I did notice however that the commercials seem to be significantly louder than the program material. This must be coming direct off the network feed, because my audio system continues to indicate Dolby-D. (It drops out of Dolby when local program material, i.e. news promo, is presented.

BTW, I taped MD's on the DVHS the other night, and it had almost no blocking/pixelizing during the show. I think things have been looking pretty decent lately on WNEP.

If you get a chance, how about checking out my post at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=1639233 and see if you have any thoughts on my VHF reception woes.

-John

John,
I am aware of the audio level differences. I ordered Dolby test equipment a few weeks ago to fix it but it hasn't arrived yet. You are correct in that I have the automation set to change the Dolby encoder to 2 channel for local commercials and any non-HD content. How was the 5.1 surround audio on the movie?

Mark created a HDTV discussion board on wnep.com. I'll be spending more time there.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #217 of 701 Old 12-16-2002, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteinyD
I'm sorry for this message which is a bit off topic. I'm relatively new to the HD scene (no pun intended), having bought my HighDef Sat Receiver (Toshiba DST3000) about 6 months ago to accompany my newly built theater. I have to say that I have been more than impressed with the picture quality coming from HDNet, ShowHD and HBOHD.

At the same time, I purchased a Terk 55 OTA antenna. The installers made sure I knew it was directional and that I might not be able to pick up everything that is available in the area (I am in Madison, NJ). As it is, I get Fox out of 2 areas and CBS. I do not get NBC or ABC. I am now thinking about putting the Terk on a rotator so that I can get some more benefit from the OTA signals.

Stu and the rest - I am very impressed by what you are doing at your station and the interaction, reaction and responsiveness you are providing your viewers. I have never seen a broadcaster react to feedback/comments/requests as you are in your constant attempt to improve the HD signals you are providing.

My question is, does anyone know if these signals can be reached as far east as Madison, NJ (07940)? If yes, should I be able to do it with the Terk or do I need a more substantial OTA antenna?

Thanks in advance for the input!

David Steinman

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately Madison is almost 85 miles from the transmitter - outside of our coverage area. Also, another person in central New Jersey (Orange I believe) reported that another analog station is transmitting on 49 - same as us. Even if you were to get us, chances are the analog interference would make us un-receiveable.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #218 of 701 Old 12-16-2002, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tfg32
Hey Stu,
Im still in high school but was wondering what kind of degrees/experience do you need for a profession in your type of work? It seems very interesting to me.
thanks

I'll leave you a private message as this is way off topic...

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #219 of 701 Old 12-31-2002, 07:06 AM

pretty quiet around here?

anybody get any information on when WYOU/WBRE claim they will be passing the HD signals from NBC and CBS?

I know its a pipedream for a while, but i'd like to dream. Hearing that some of the AFC games are going to be HD from CBS hurts!!

Thanks to Stu and WNEP I can look forward to the SuperBowl!!

Happy New Year!!
post #220 of 701 Old 12-31-2002, 07:28 AM

I'm in NW Jersey and at this time get CBS and Fox OTA HD signals but not NBC or ABC. I am also a DirecTV subscriber. Does anyone know if DirecTV is planning to carry any of the post season NFL games in HD as pay per view events, especially the superbowl?

------------
Regards,
David
post #221 of 701 Old 12-31-2002, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

No announcements have been made regarding DirecTV broadcasting the super bowl in high def and chances are good they will not. Your best bet may be to see if you can pick up WPVI channel 8 out of Philly.
post #222 of 701 Old 12-31-2002, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

WPVI is actually channel 6, and wward is right, that's probably your best bet. As you'll note in the HDTV Programming forum, it would be very out of character for DirecTV to do a one-time HDTV event. Also, they'd probably run into a lot of problems from ABC affiliates, since you wouldn't be able to see local ads.

With the right equipment, and if the weather cooperates, you should be able to pull in ABC from Philly.
post #223 of 701 Old 12-31-2002, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the typo ment channel 6 started celebrating a little early.
post #224 of 701 Old 01-03-2003, 06:59 AM

David you may be able to receive Philadelphia HD broadcasts from Madison (but most likely the signal is too weak). I live in Long Valley and get Philly CBS and on occasion FOX and WB. But I never have been able to get a lock on ABC. I know someone who gets every station from Philly and they live 8 miles east of me in Mount Arlington. It's a crap shoot and is very dependent on location and atmospheric conditions. Get the best equipment you can right from the start, otherwise you'll always second guess as to why you can't get a signal leading you to wasting time and money.
post #225 of 701 Old 01-06-2003, 09:27 AM

Anybody else watching WNEP's digital feed for the Fiesta Bowl?

Or am I the only one who cursed at my TV when WNEP's signal turning off during the 2nd OT of the Fiesta Bowl?
post #226 of 701 Old 01-06-2003, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwmoss
Anybody else watching WNEP's digital feed for the Fiesta Bowl?

Or am I the only one who cursed at my TV when WNEP's signal turning off during the 2nd OT of the Fiesta Bowl?

Thought I explained what happened on the WNEP board. It won't happen again.

- Stu -

Stu Wilson
wnep-tv engineering
post #227 of 701 Old 01-06-2003, 04:29 PM

Stu you did.

I wasn't try to dish on WNEP either. I appreciate all your input and help since your started broadcasting the digital signal. I am extremely grateful that you are passing the HDTV offerings from ABC, something i'm afraid we won't see from WYOU or WBRE for a LONG, LONG time.

I was surprised that no one mentioned it on THIS board. This board has been helpful for a variety of reasons.

thanks again

dave
post #228 of 701 Old 03-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well I guess it took me forever to find this forum!

Nice to see stu was helping you NEPA guys all along as i just read thru these post for about an hour now!

Dont know if you remember me Stu but we have emailed and chatted before Hope your still Around, being Mark Censors me so Much At the Home site!!

Have had my go rounds with WBRE and WYOU lately!

Got a letter from the president of WBRE saying No HD until the market can support it!
Sent him an email back to ask Him (HA HA HA) how he was going to measure that and havent gotten a response yet!

Been flooding Corporate Nexstar with emails about it though!..I think there Hiding!

Ohh well just thought here would be a good place to strike up conversation again!

See ya all NEPA!

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #229 of 701 Old 03-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

WBRE and WYOU have finnally broken my Back No HDTV!

WYOU no Playoff games no NCAA, No Masters in HD!!!!!!!!!!

Screw you,..... Dish network Here I come...National CBS HD FEED!

NBC Suspending HD because of the war...even though I dont get NBC HD
What is That!!!!!!!!!!

Wake Up NEPA its time to start Moving winters Over!

Very good news From Adelphia by the way...Boxes are on the way, so we shall see!

Best guess from my source,..near the fall channels will include, HBO, SHO,DISC, ESPNHD, ABC, and possibly HDNET!

Keep the fingers crossed!

post #230 of 701 Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 PM

Chez,

Check out Adelphia's Southern California web site, http://adelphiasocal.com/hdtv/. All it talks about is HDTV. It lists the equipment and channels that will be available at launch. You can even submit your information so they can contact you when it's available. I did, even though I'm on a different coast. Figure that if we start pressuring them that it may show them that there is an interest over here too. Take a look.

Jeff

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #231 of 701 Old 04-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Jeff

I signed up for that too hope it reaches the right people!

Had any luck with WBRE or WYOU lately??, I keep getting stonewalled!

Nexstar Broadcastibng Sucks!

After reading AVS forums for years I never knew there was a thread for local talk especially NEPA! I have had An HDTV since 2000! PBS Loop days
How about you!

I would love to be able to get some type of measurement for how many people are actually getting DTV in this area, so I could shove it in those other ones face!

....see ya later!

post #232 of 701 Old 04-20-2003, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello,

I'm going to put a VHF antenna up on my parent's house this weekend. Does anyone know whether WBRE and WYOU are operating at their full power of 30kW or at low power of 1.45kW?

TIA

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #233 of 701 Old 04-20-2003, 07:42 AM

TIA,

From what I know, they both operate of 30kW. Most of the signal strength of WBRE is mapped toward the Wilkes-Barre area and most of the signal strength of WYOU is mapped toward Scranton. I am about thirty miles from the tower, and I am able to get both. WBRE is weak at time though. The HD tuner can make the difference whether or not you are going to see a picture. Good luck with with the installation.

Jeff

post #234 of 701 Old 04-20-2003, 07:51 AM

Chez,

At one point I was talking to one of the engineers at WBRE/WYOU. He did give quit a bit of information. He personally wanted to install an HD system for broadcast, but the money was not budged. He said that possibly it could happen in a year or two. That was less than a year ago now. I never tried contacting Nexstar, which is probably a better idea. I will start doing that. If you haven't already, visit the WNEP HD board that was created. The more people we have talking on it, the more we are heard.

Jeff

post #235 of 701 Old 04-20-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Williams

From what I know, they both operate of 30kW. Most of the signal strength of WBRE is mapped toward the Wilkes-Barre area and most of the signal strength of WYOU is mapped toward Scranton. I am about thirty miles from the tower, and I am able to get both. WBRE is weak at time though. The HD tuner can make the difference whether or not you are going to see a picture. Good luck with with the installation.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks again for the response. My parents are about 40 miles from the tower according to the online tools at ardman.net. I am putting up a $2.97 closeout Radio Shack antenna, the VU-110XR. It claims to pull in VHF from about 110 miles and UHF from about 90 miles over flat and unobstructed terrain. This sounds very optimistic. I am going to use a ChannelMaster VHF/UHF pre-amp. I plan to keep the CM eight-bay bowtie for UHF and use the RS antenna for VHF. The CM pre-amp has separate inputs for UHF and VHF. We are using a MyHD tuner.

Regards,
Joe

post #236 of 701 Old 04-20-2003, 02:47 PM

I apologize in advance if this has been asked / answered recently ---

Any updates on the resurrection of NBC and ABC HD OTA in the NYC area? I believe they were aiming for March / April originally and then I heard it was moved out to September. Is this still the case? Anymore details?

Thanks

------------
Regards,
David
post #237 of 701 Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 AM

Hi,
Anyone in the Philadelphia area have a samsung 165 and jvc 30k. Is there a problem with timer recordings?
Thanks,
Marie
post #238 of 701 Old 04-21-2003, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried using a 100 inch long 31 or 32 element closeout Radio Shack antenna and these channels register 0 to 11% signal strength. We are about 40 miles from the tower.

About 50 feet of RG-6 cable connects the VHF antenna to the VHF/UHF pre-amp on the UHF antenna about 20 to 25 feet apart.

Any suggestions on an antenna to pull in WYOU and WBRE from about 40 miles?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Joe

post #239 of 701 Old 04-21-2003, 05:14 AM

WABC: September '03.
I confirmed this with WABC at the NAB show two weeks ago.
post #240 of 701 Old 05-02-2003, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Chez,

If you haven't already, visit the WNEP HD board that was created. The more people we have talking on it, the more we are heard.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but the WNEP board is a censored entity that I very rarely post on because The webmaster is not interested in helping out DTV users
with solid info., Although Stu is helpful most comments I make are censored, and I post under my real name there.

All Anybody posts about there is "when are locals gonna be on satellite"

When I respond with call D* or E* he censores me! Go figure

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page