AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/131834-wilkes-barre-pa-hdtv.html)

PaulM9999 04-09-2002 09:07 PM

Those of you in Northeastern PA and Northwestern New Jersey who struggle to get a consistent signal out of WPVI-DT in Philadelphia will be happy to read this. I picked this up off of the WNEP website (the ABC affiliate in Scranton):

-----
April 9 - Installation of our digital transmitter antenna is currently taking place. We expect it to take the rest of the week to install and then a few days to test. This all depends on the weather. If the weather is bad, it may be delayed by a few days. We hope to begin our digital transmissions on or about April 18th.

Our first digital broadcasts will be in standard definition. Basically we will digitize our current signal and broadcast that. We won't be able to broadcast ABC Prime-Time Programming in high definition until our satellite receivers are retrofit to pick up those signals from ABC. The engineers from ABC are scheduled to be here to do this in late May. It will take several days to install this upgrade and a few more to test it. We hope to begin HDTV transmissions sometime in June.
-----

There's more info at http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=709353 if you're interested.

dwmoss 04-10-2002 10:13 AM

i can't wait!!

Its too bad the other stations in the scranton \\ wilkes-barre location have filed for CP extensions for "financial" reasons! (wyou and wbre)

com1mph 04-11-2002 11:18 AM

Great!
Can you tell me if the signal will reach Sussex, NJ? I'm situated on the west side of a hill with open air to the west. Also, what would be the best antenna to pull in a good signal from this distance?

PaulM9999 04-11-2002 06:53 PM

Com1mph,
I'd bet you'll be fine. I'm in eastern Warren County, with a ChannelMaster UHF on my roof and I get all the Scranton analogs without a problem. Get the right antenna, and you should be in business.

vas 04-11-2002 09:11 PM

Cool!!
Have any of you had luck receiving WCAU-DT (NBC affiliate in Philadelphia) ?
Vas

PaulM9999 04-12-2002 07:26 PM

Yes, I generally get WCAU-DT at about a 40-50 signal strength. KYW-DT is by far the most reliable- 100% all the time. Last night was unusual- for some reason WCAU was coming in at 100%.

I don't get too worked up about a strong WCAU, however, since NBC has pretty paltry HD offerings. We'll all be better off when WNEP-DT goes live, given ABC's commitment to HD.

NBC says they'll offer more HD content this fall, so I'm hoping the Scranton NBC affiliate has their act together by then.

dwmoss 04-19-2002 10:39 AM

WNEP-DT Status Report...

April 18 - Weather and other problems have slightly delayed the installation of our digital antenna. Most of the work is being done at night. The antenna itself is up. We expect it to take a few more days to install the transmission line going up the tower to the antenna (assuming no weather delays). Then we will run some tests for a few days. We hope to begin our digital transmissions on or about April 29th.

Our first digital broadcasts will be in standard definition. Basically we will digitize our current signal and broadcast that. We won't be able to broadcast ABC Prime-Time Programming in high definition until our satellite receivers are retrofit to pick up those signals from ABC. The engineers from ABC are scheduled to be here to do this in late May. It will take several days to install this upgrade and a few more to test it. We hope to begin HDTV transmissions sometime in June.

PaulM9999 04-19-2002 09:17 PM

Weather delays???? It's been sunny and 85-90 degrees all week!

I guess I should be grateful- not only is WNEP good enough not to file for FCC extensions, they've also managed to give weekly updates on their installation on the website. Still, it's hard to believe that weather is holding them back at this point.

vas 04-23-2002 07:33 PM

WCAU-DT seems to have boosted their signal. My Dish 6000 is suddenly detecting it, along with WHYY-DT. has anyone noticed a difference?

PaulM9999 04-23-2002 08:14 PM

Yes, I've had a much easier time picking up WCAU for the past week, and wasn't sure whether it was due to atmospherical conditions. I still can't get WHYY, however.

BTW, WNEP posted a new update today on their site. They're still plagued with weather delays as they need winds under 10 mph to run their transmission lines to their mountaintop site. They now say they hope to begin broadcasting in the next couple of weeks.

Check out the note at www.wnep.com

dwmoss 04-24-2002 11:16 AM

April 23 - Weather continues to delay the installation of our digital antenna. Most of the work is being done at night. The antenna itself is up. Now we have to install the transmission line running up the tower to the antenna. For this we need winds of less than 10 mph. That is difficult to get on the top of a mountain. Once the line is installed, we will run some tests for a few days. We hope to begin our digital transmissions within the next few weeks, but with the weather like it is, its hard to estimate exactly when that will happen.

Our first digital broadcasts will be in standard definition. Basically we will digitize our current signal and broadcast that. We won't be able to broadcast ABC Prime-Time Programming in high definition until our satellite receivers are retrofit to pick up those signals from ABC. The engineers from ABC are scheduled to be here to do this in late May. It will take several days to install this upgrade and a few more to test it. We hope to begin HDTV transmissions sometime in June

vas 04-26-2002 05:47 AM

PaulM9999,
Must me atmospheric conditions, I lost the WCAU-DT signal again last night.
vas

dwmoss 04-30-2002 11:46 AM

WNEP filed for an extension today according to the FCC website

note from WNEP's website
April 30 - The weather over the past two weeks has been just horrible for tower-work! We keep hoping for light winds so we can continue the installation, but the weather just isn't cooperating. Unfortunately this week's weather doesn't look much better.

The antenna itself is up (see photo from Skycam 16 ). Now we have to install the transmission line running up the tower to the antenna. For this we need winds of less than 10 mph at night (our crew can only work at night). We need only 2 more calm nights to install the line. Once the line is installed, we will run some tests for a few days and then start transmitting. We hope to begin our digital transmissions within the next few weeks, but with the weather like it is, its hard to estimate exactly when that will happen.

dwmoss 05-02-2002 12:00 PM

from WNEP's website - DTV status

May 2 - OK! The transmission line is up and secured. The antenna itself is also up. Now we just have to do some wrap-up work, making sure all the connections are right. And we have to climb the tower one more time to set a beacon light and to remove the crane (see photo from Skycam 16). This will take one more night of light winds. Then we will be able to begin testing. Hopefully this will happen in the next few days (weather permitting).

While we are testing you may from time to time be able to get our digital signal. We will be testing at rather low power so if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything. If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com . Our digital signal will be on channel 49.

PaulM9999 05-02-2002 03:59 PM

This is great news- and it sounds like we should be able to see evidence of testing sometime next week. Weather today has not been favorable, and tomorrow's forecast calls for high winds. They might not be able to do the remaining tower work until early next week.

dwmoss 05-06-2002 03:05 PM

copy of email from WNEP today (5/6/02) regarding DTV

"We're hoping to throw the switch Tuesday afternoon."

From the WNEP website

May 6 - OK! The transmission line is up and secured. The antenna itself is also up. The crane is down (see photo from Skycam 16). On Wednesday we are scheduled to do a final check on all the systems. If everything checks out well, we will be ready to do power up the transmitter for some test broadcasts.

We will likely do several days of test broadcasts before we begin regular programming. While we are testing you may from time to time be able to get our digital signal. We will be testing at rather low power so if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything. If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com . Our digital signal will be on channel 49.

dwmoss 05-08-2002 11:48 AM

i emailed the webmaster after not finding their signal last night

received this info:

Try again tonight. We weren't on last night. :-)

Mark Sowers
Webmaster
WNEP-TV

ok another webpage update.... were getting closer!!

May 8 - Today we will do a final check on all the systems. If everything checks out well, we will be ready to do power up the transmitter for some digital broadcasts. Those broadcasts could start as early as this evening . Over the next several days those broadcasts will be considered "test" broadcasts even though they will be very similar to what we will do after the "test" is over. You may notice some glitches. If you do, please let us know. Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com .

For the next several months our digital transmitter will operate only during Prime-Time and other big events. And it will operate at low power (city-grade). It is simply too expensive to operate all day long and at high power with so few people actually able to get the signal. We don't know for sure just how far from our transmitter this low-power signal will be available. We're guessing if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything.

If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. We will use this information to publish a "coverage map". Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com . Our digital signal will be on channel 49.

As with the rest of this digital transition, each phase requires additional equipment and expense, so we are slowly phasing in the whole HDTV experience. We thank you for your feedback and your patience.

dwmoss 05-09-2002 09:19 AM

nothing yet.... but still closer i say!!!
from the wnep website

May 9 - Well, we finally completed the installation of WNEP-DT yesterday. Everything appeared to be ready. We threw the switch and started broadcasting... "black"... nothing more. That's when we discovered that we were having a problem getting our video signal into the transmitter. We are currently working on the problem and hope to have it corrected soon.

Once we get this problem fixed, we will begin test broadcasting. You may notice some glitches. If you do, please let us know. Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com .

For the next several months our digital transmitter will operate only during Prime-Time and other big events. And it will operate at low power (city-grade). It is simply too expensive to operate all day long and at high power with so few people actually able to get the signal. We don't know for sure just how far from our transmitter this low-power signal will be available. We're guessing if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything.

If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. We will use this information to publish a "coverage map". Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com . Our digital signal will be on channel 49

PaulM9999 05-09-2002 11:06 AM

DWMoss,
Are you inside the 20 mile radius of the station that it sounds like will be necessary to receive the broadcasts? I'm about 40 miles away, so I'm not sure I'll see the tests.
Paul

dwmoss 05-10-2002 08:54 AM

Paul

i'm about 20km from the tower, which is what about 12.4 miles away.
i didn't look for the signal last night. But at least its a step in the
right direction. Lets see by June if WNEP is broadcasting ABC in HD or 720p during primetime.

on another note i've been harassing the other local stations WYOU and WBRE in particular and received this email responce yesterday.....

Thanks for inquiring.
Right now we are looking at July for both WBRE and WYOU.
--- Barry

Barry Erick CSTE , CE
Nexstar Broadcasting
WBRE-TV (NBC) providing services for WYOU-TV (CBS)
62 S. Franklin St.
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
570-823.2828
570-823.4523 (fax)
berick@nbga.net
berick@wbretv.com
berick@wyou.com
----- Original Message -----
To: John Dittmeier
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 11:28 AM
Subject: Fw: DTV

Hi John....
Can you supply this viewer with an answer.....and copy me on it? That way I can get it into the Public File----and know your reply for future references.
Thanks!
Susan

----- Original Message -----
To: suekali@wyou.com
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: DTV

Dear Sue,

I was just wondering what WYOU's status is as far as DTV (digital television broadcasting)
I know you filed a CP Extension with the FCC prior to the May 1st deadline. I was just wondering
when i might be able to receive digital broadcasts from WYOU. Right now only WVIA is broadcasting
but WNEP is just about to go online.

All the Best,

David W. Moss

dwmoss 05-14-2002 08:35 AM

I haven't check it out yet... but heres the wnep website update

May 14 - We finally completed the installation of WNEP-DT on Wednesday May 8th. Now we enter the "testing" phase. Last night we got our first pictures on the air with two channels of video, 49-1 and 49-2. There were a few pixelization and sound problems that we are currently working on.

As we continue our testing, you may notice some glitches. If you do, please let us know. Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com .

For the next several months our digital transmitter will operate only during Prime-Time and other big events. And it will operate at low power (city-grade). It is simply too expensive to operate all day long and at high power with so few people actually able to get the signal. We don't know for sure just how far from our transmitter this low-power signal will be available. We're guessing if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything. So far we have had people in Hanover Twp., Trucksville, and Avoca get our signal.

If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. We will use this information to publish a "coverage map". Just e-mail webmaster@wnep.com . Our digital signal will be on channel 49.

As with the rest of this digital transition, each phase requires additional equipment and expense, so we are slowly phasing in the whole HDTV experience. We thank you for your feedback and your patience.

drbaldinger 05-15-2002 06:09 AM

You're gonna think I'm crazy, but...

Last night, in Reading, PA (about 75 air miles SSW from the tower), I received WNEP-DT with a solid 80-90% signal strength. There was no apparent multipath problems but a great deal of digital breakup and audio dropout. Since the signal is so solid, I'm assuming that the breakup is due to processing at the station while they undergo testing and alignment.

Equipment:

Dish Network Model 6000 receiver
Channel Master CM4248 Yagi, mounted ~ 30' above ground
Winegard AP4800 28db UHF amplifier.

Interestingly, I also receive WVIA-DT with an even stronger signal. It's almost like I have a pipe to NE PA. I've received WVIA consistently for almost a year, so I'm pretty certain that it's not some odd atmospheric condition that's helping the reception.

Did anyone else receive WNEP last night, and did you experience any breakup? I'd like to be sure that the problem was their processing and not reception difficulty. Does anyone know if they're running at reduced or full power during the testing? Their website doesn't specify this.

I reported the reception to WNEP; I'll report if I get a reply.

raze 05-15-2002 08:40 AM

drbaldinger,
I'm in Rahway, NJ and I have the same setup as you,
minus the amplifier.
I am wondering if I would be able to receive this station.
Where abouts are you?

Thanks,
R

dwmoss 05-15-2002 10:02 AM

wnep is broadcasting at low power levels during primetime only

i looked last night and i was only receiving a very low signal with lots of breakup, while WVIA-DT was coming in great...

PaulM9999 05-15-2002 06:59 PM

Baldinger/Moss-
Are you guys pointing your antenna in the same direction as WVIA? I'm intrigued by the reception carrying all the way to Reading- this makes me feel much more optimistic (I'm about 50 miles from Scranton as the crow flies)

I'm getting 80-100% on WVIA, and I get an excellent picture on WNEP analog, but I'm getting no evidence of WNEP-DT either last night or tonight.

drbaldinger 05-16-2002 06:30 AM

Paul,

My antenna is pointing in the same direction as WVIA. I can actually improve the signal by about 5% if I move the antenna about three degrees north of WVIA's setting, but with the strong signal that I have now it just wasn't worth the effort of moving the antenna each time I switch channels. I am also getting excellent reception of their analog signal.

Yesterday afternoon, Wednesday, 1711 hrs., I had a rock-solid 88% signal with color bars and tone and the 16 DTV logo on subchannel 1. There was only slight, occasional pixellization...nice and clean compared to Tuesday, when there was a lot of breakup. They must have done some adjustments to their encoder.

The folks at WNEP are pretty intrigued by my reception, too. I got an e-mail from their webmaster asking for details about my setup because they found my reception "unbelievable". They thought that I must have a huge antenna on a tall tower to be able to receive them but, as the equipment list in my previous post demonstrates, my setup is pretty ordinary.

Good luck with your attempt to receive WNEP; I hope that you're able to get it working. I know how you feel since this is the first time that I'm able to get an ABC affiliate - I can't get anything but KYW out of Philadelphia.

Please feel free to PM me if you want further information.

Dave

dwmoss 05-16-2002 10:08 AM

i'll have to take another look at WNEP-DT's signal tonight.

I'm surprised your getting it down in reading. I'm alot closer then that to the tower but not receiving a decent signal. maybe some of the adjustments they made will help me.... i'm only about 12 miles away... but i'm up on the mountain, probably the same elevation as the tower so maybe that part of my problems.... but i doubt it because WVIA-DT comes in strong....

question: my hughes E86 is mapping WVIA-DT as channel 80-3 what about everyone else who is able to receive WVIA-DT... whats your channel mapping too??

drbaldinger 05-16-2002 10:10 AM

Yep, 80-3 on Dish 6000.

hphase 05-16-2002 10:26 AM

Paul,

Check channel 49 on your ANALOG receiver and see if you can see NJN. They have a repeater in Hackettstown, but it's not always on. This could hose some people in NW NJ.

dwmoss 05-16-2002 02:20 PM

email received from WNEP today (5/18/02)

FYI, Our digital signal is on right now (1:45pm) and will remain on for the
rest of the day.

Mark Sowers
Webmaster
WNEP-TV

also here's a link to the picture of their tower right NEXT to WVIA's
http://208.199.73.40/fungames/wallpa...obscott&size=4

DrB thanks for the confirmation on the mapping at 80-3 for WVIA