Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the actual Fox Widescreen is upconverted by the station to 1080i. I bet that actually looks pretty good.

Didn't I hear they were going to try to get the tower in Salina to the same as Wichita, by sending the 1080i and widescreen??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys,
If any of you are Royals fans, make sure to call Cox this week and tell them you want them to pick up the Royals Television network. They will be talking this week and I sure hope I can see them on TV this year.

Also, I thought was funny:
I called and asked about the Royals and while I was on the phone, I asked about HDTV over cox. The guy said that he knew what it was, and they really want to offer it, but they were waiting on ALL the stations to go HD before rolling it out. I said all the stations in Wichita are digital, and he said, no, stations like USA, TNT, SciFI. I just had to laugh to myself, say thanks, and hang up.
post #273 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The FOX broadcast does look pretty good. The 16x9 stuff (like Nascar) is about DVD quality which is a major improvement over normal 4x3. I'm not sure if they shoot that in 480i or 480p though.

Dave G.
post #274 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, I can tell you guys how WB fixed the sound level problem you were having. They cranked it up twice as loud! How do I know that? Because while you guys were having low audio problems, it was fine on my setup. Now it's way too friggin' loud! Oh well, I can tweak the volume down, better than no audio at all. :-)

Dave G.
post #275 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

WB sound level

What Marty told me was he was in the setup menu on his encoder and discovered there was "padding" in the sound (whatever that means). He changed the setting back to what it was on his original encoder (this one is a loaner while his is being repaired), and bada bing, problem fixed. Only apparently not for everyone.

As to FOX, my brother saw last years Super Bowl and assumed it was in High Def because of how good it looked. He was surprised to learn it was not 1080i. I haven't personally seen anything in 480p, so I can't offer my opinion as to how 480p scaled to 1080i compares with, say, true 1080i on HDNet. Wide screen alone is a big deal, and I don't need to see it to know that digital 480p is lightyears better than 480i. Don't forget that a few years ago "line doublers" cost MAJOR bucks, and this is true 480p and not just "line doubled" 480i. It is precisely "DVD quality", which at it's best is pretty damn good. But you'd never mistake 480p for a really GOOD 1080i (or 720p), so there is still room for improvement, and I hope FOX eventually offers HD programming. I personally wish they would go to 720p, since it's a natural fit for plasma, LCD, and DLP technologies.

David
post #276 of 3098 Old 03-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

One thing to note though. DVD's are all 480i. They are either line doubled by the player or TV (on an HDTV). So if it's 480p, it's actually better. (although their broadcast doesn't look any better than a DVD, so maybe it's 480i)

Dave G.
post #277 of 3098 Old 03-12-2003, 05:43 AM

Hey guys, I am still unable to get FOX and UPN on my decoder, I have full strength on my signal, but my decoder says it has no signal, almost like fox and UPN broadcasting format is not compatable with my decoder, has anyone else experienced this problem, I have the Samsung T161 decoder
post #278 of 3098 Old 03-12-2003, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Bret:

You have rescaned??
post #279 of 3098 Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Bretster, Contact station engineer Jon Cyphers and report the problem. Jon has been great about addressing various issues folks have had with FOX and UPN. These are "sister stations", so you will typically have problems with both, or neither. His email has been listed a time or two in this thread so I won't list it again here. Giving him a call would be better.

I am picking up FOX and UPN, but I have a different receiver. If you are getting a stong signal, then it's not an antenna pointing issue, although it could still be antenna related, possibly a multipath issue, where you are getting a strong reflected signal in addition to the primary one.

Good luck, and do report back on what works and doesn't work.

David
post #280 of 3098 Old 03-13-2003, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Bretster,

If you haven't re-scanned, then definitely do that. I've had that problem with my TS-160. Re-scanning sometimes fixes it. If it doesn't, then it may be multi-path as Haysdb said. If your here in Wichita, you might try an indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor (Sears or Circuit City has them). I'm having really good luck with my RS Double Bowtie (I'm at Pawnee and Web). Also try rotating your existing antenna.

Dave G.
post #281 of 3098 Old 03-13-2003, 03:29 PM

Bretster,

I too have been having problem receiving Fox and UPN with my Samsung Sir-t151. I stopped receiving both of them a while ago. I e-mailed Jon Cyphers at JonCyphers@clearchannel.com and he had the problem fixed within a couple of days. Its seems that it's caused by a software corruption on his side. If you are noticing problems like a no signal warning before you start get a picture, even though you have plenty of signal, rescanning will sometimes cause you to lose the channel entirely.
I recommend that you e-mail Jon. Because this problem only affects a small percentage of an already small group of HDTV viewers, he has no way of knowing about it unless somebody tells him.

Rob
post #282 of 3098 Old 03-13-2003, 03:29 PM

Hello bobfs,
Good to see you got a reply from KAKE. I emailed them last week with no reply. Great news on all the DT stations you can receive in Salina! It will be interesting how much the signals will be attenuated by the tree leaves. Can you tell me where you found your CM 4248 UHF antenna? Thanks!
Regards,
Chance in McPherson
post #283 of 3098 Old 03-13-2003, 08:39 PM

Hi Chance C,

Speaking of all the great chennels, check this out. I ran a scan today and here are my results.

03-1 KNSW Wichita
10-1 KAKE Wichita
12-1 KWCH Hutchinson
19-1 KAAS Salina
24-1 KSAS Wichita
33-1 KWCV Wichita
36-1 KSCC Wichita
52-1 KSBI Oklahoma City
52-2 KSBI Oklahoma City
56-1 KJRH Tulsa

Guess there must be some kind of skip going on!! I don't know what kind of problems trees will cause. I hope not much. BTW, I got my antenna from http://www.starkelectronics.com

On a related subject, is there any way to keep these channels in memory and add new stations to the memory list, without doing a new scan. A new scan erases the old list and starts a new one. I have a Hitachi 57XWX20B. Any help from anybody is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply and/or any info.

Bob
post #284 of 3098 Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Try searching the "Rear Projection Unit" forum. There's probably quite a bit of info there on using the tuner in your set. If you don't turn up anything, then post the question. There are a bunch of guys there with that set.

Dave G.
post #285 of 3098 Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 AM

All,
We are coming into spring tropo with these temperature swings. I did some quick DXing before work and found 52-1 FN (in OKC?) and 56-1 KJRH in Tulsa. Found many other stations with signal readings in the 20's which is not sufficient for the Hughes E86. I find anything lower than 30 causes picture lockup.

bobfs - The E86 allows a person to step through each channel manually to find new or DX stations without doing a automatic rescan.

Regards,
Chance
post #286 of 3098 Old 03-21-2003, 07:11 PM

Hello Everyone,
My Channel Master CM-4248 UHF is in the air and working great! KAKE-DT signal went from 0-6 to 27-34 which allows the Hughes E86 to receive with a few drop outs. The time was 6:30pm when we finished the install and then a funny thing happened at 7:00pm. I did one last signal check on Ch 21(KAKE-DT) and the signal jumped from 30 to 93-100! So I tuned back to 10-1 to find a solid picture with NO drop outs! It looks like the engineers turned up the power. THANK YOU KAKE!!!

bobfs - After seeing your results with the 4248 in Salina I had to try one for myself. This antenna delivers the goods for people out in UHF fringe coverage areas!

My antenna configuration has the CM-4248 at 28ft with a Channel Master VHF (can't remember the model)at 25ft coupled to a Winegard AP-2870 preamp which has separate VHF(17dB) and UHF(19dB) inputs.

Regards,
Chance in McPherson
post #287 of 3098 Old 03-28-2003, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys,
I know pretty much everyone in here already has a nice HDTV setup.
But I am selling my ECP 4500 CRT projector along with my RCA DTC-100 HD receiver for a very reasonable price.

These units work very well together on my homemade 92" screen which you could also have if you want. Feel free to E-mail me at cobra95kev@yahoo.com if you are interested or would like an eye popping demo.

I am asking 700.00 OBO and that includes me helping you set it up and learn the projector. I also have some switches and cables I can give you with it.

Thanks
Kevin Coleman

Stop DFAST.
Boycott JVC!
post #288 of 3098 Old 03-31-2003, 01:24 PM

I am a Wichitan that is new to the HD world...this thread is great! I have a 55in Mitsubishi HDTV, Directv, a rooftop antenna, and I did have a Samsung TS160 HD receiver but I am returning it tonight. The one I had crashed often and was never able to receive an HD picture through Directv (only the locals channels). I also believe that my dish is not pointed correctly, which should be taken care of tomorrow evening.

I hope to have everything up and running by "the final four" games on Saturday...How does basketball look in HD?

Once it is in working order I will report back my results...
post #289 of 3098 Old 04-01-2003, 06:33 PM

Has there been any news on KWCH upping their signal strength? It is the only channel I cannot get, and I thought they had talked about upping their signal.
post #290 of 3098 Old 04-02-2003, 09:29 AM

Hi chrisb25,

According to an email I received from Don Vest, "We (KWCH-DT) are transmitting at low power and we are scheduled to go to full power in 2005. The antenna is at near the top of the tower at the present time( 1350 FT)."

However, even at low power, KWCH-DT is the station I pick up the best from Salina. I may get minor pixelization or audio dropouts once every three or four days.

To haysdb: Many of the shows on FOX have the 'bug' at the bottom of the screen at the beginning of the program that says: Presented in Widescreen - High Definition.

bobfs
post #291 of 3098 Old 04-06-2003, 10:46 AM

While watching the Final Four yesterday, I noticed that KWCH has added "Hutchinson" in bright white letters to their on-screen logo--it is not ghosted like the rest of it. I hate on-screen logos anyway, but not ghosting part of it will cause it to burn-in.

If you feel as strongly as I do about this, please contact KWCH's general manager...here is her email address (posted on KWCH's web site, so it's out their for the public to use):
kmohn@kwch.com

Maybe they intended for it to be ghosted, but until they hear from enough viewers, I doubt it will be changed.

Regards,

Mike

Update: I noticed "Hutchinson" was no longer in their logo on Monday. Still doesn't hurt to send 'em an email to let them know if you dislike on-screen logos in general and especially ones that aren't ghosted.
post #292 of 3098 Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 AM

Does anyone know if or when KPTS (PBS Wichita) chan. 8 will begin broadcasting in HD? I am not a big PBS fan, but I have heard that they have an awesome HD demonstration that runs daily...it is perfect for showing off your set.

Thanks

CW
post #293 of 3098 Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 PM

Hi CW,

According to as of 2/21/03 "We have all necessary equipment on order, some of it here now and being installed. I don't necessarily expect to be broadcasting regularly until May. We are planning to have the digital system on the air during "prime time" evening hours initially. We will provide as much HD widescreen as we have available to us, the rest of the time it will be standard definition, some wide screen, some not. If all goes according to plan we will be broadcasting two channels, the second one being PBS Kids so the children will also have some programming available in prime time."

I have been scanning for their signal, but I have not found it yet. If you find a KPTS-DT signal, please post it to this forum. I will do the same.

Good luck,

bobfs
post #294 of 3098 Old 04-21-2003, 11:52 AM

KPTS is supposed to be on UHF channel 29. I have emailed them asking if they are going to make their digital debut by May 1st. I'll report here if I hear back from them.

Is everyone out there getting digital 24 and 36? I was getting them but I no longer am able to pick up either one. I thought I heard they are both owned by the same company so I was thinking that maybe they are both down for maintenance.
post #295 of 3098 Old 04-21-2003, 02:53 PM

Thought I would set up an account for when I see questions about our stations to give the forum members quick responses when possible.

All of our transmitters are on and at full power. If we take one down for scheduled maintenance, I will try to post here ahead of time. Not all maintenance is scheduled though

F P Crazy - Have your tried a rescan? Are you using a Samsung receiver?

Our master control operators monitor our signals (including digital) off air, 24 hours a day and notify the Engineering dept. of problems immediately.

While I'm on the subject, our transmitters are at full power and there are no plans for raising the power. You can see our power output ratings in my profile if you want.

Please feel free to post or email me any questions about our stations.
Thanks!

Jon Cyphers
Assistant Chief Engineer
FoxKansas and UPNKansas
post #296 of 3098 Old 04-21-2003, 06:54 PM

Jon Cyphers,

I appreciate you posting here (as does everyone else reading this thread - I'm sure).

I am using a Samsung TS-165 terrestrial only. I have a Samsung TS-160 DirecTV HD receiver but am only using this for DirecTV. I have a Winegard long range antenna mounted on a mast some 20' up in the air and am also amplifying the signal. I used to get 26 and 35 but since the trees sprang to life, I have lost them both . I also lost KAKE (21) but if I swing the antenna almost due West, I can pick it up, although it drops out horribly. I am mounted to the North side of a metal building (near old town) with a metal roof and I'm almost positive that I am getting some phase cancellation from the metal roof top reflections behind the antenna. I may some day look into a strictly directional antenna, as the one I currently have is a first rate antenna but does not reject side or rear reflections, a common antagonist of the ATSC (Zenith's VSB) reception system. No matter how I point the antenna I currently cannot pick anything from 26 or 35. That is why I thought maybe you were down. I am getting 45 (3-1), 19 (12-1 and 31 (33-1) wonderfully.

Not being able to get ABC is a drag as ABC is really starting to put a lot of HD out and I was looking forward to watching the NBA playoffs in HD. I thought I read somewhere that ABC has some of the NBA playoffs this year.

To Everyone else,

I heard back from Dave McClintock at KPTS and here are quotes from his reply to me:

"We will be broadcasting on channel 29 and probably will only be on the air from 3 PM to Midnight for awhile. Our intention is to provide the usual schedule of programs along with a second program stream of PBS KIDS programs for the children.

We expect to begin broadcasting May 1st and will pass along any HD programs that we can. Right now most are in standard definition however. The transmitter is being installed right now so we should begin testing it late this week or early next. Thanks for your interest. -Dave"

I hope this answers some of the questions on HD KPTS,

FP Crazy
post #297 of 3098 Old 04-21-2003, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Jon,
I always am impressed when guys in your position come on here and face both the good and bad. Thanks for doing that. I take it your UPN station is 1,000 watts, is that what 1MW is? Would that reach us all the way up here in Manhattan?? If not, have you guys ever thought of doing like KAAS for the UPN station? We do not have an UPN affiliate for the Topeka market.

Is your KSAS antenna directional?? I do not get KAAS here but do know a guy up on I70 that does.

thanks,

tim
post #298 of 3098 Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 AM

FP Crazy-
I worked with another gentleman that had a Samsung terrestial only receiver who had the same problem. Seems that when the Samsung loses reception of a station it's hard to convince it to look at it again. His receiver was new enough he could exchange it at Best Buy. My guess is there is a lithium battery or a nonvolatile memory chip inside that saves the settings even when the power is pulled. If it is a battery theoretically it could be pulled to reset the box to factory, BUT I don't know this for sure, and would recommend talking to Samsung especially if the box is under warranty.

You're probably right on target about the metal roof, 8VSB doesn't handle reflections very well in my experience. If you can get 3-1 which is currently at a lower power and a higher frequency then us and their tower is literally across the field from us, you should at least get 24-1. So either you have a bad reflection at our frequency or your receiver is playing games with you.

So if a rescan and power plug disconnection doesn't get you working again, you might try working with your antenna. If you could get the antenna even a few more feet above or away from the metal roof it might help. The towers are all NW of Wichita for the most part with UPN being slightly farther North.

Timmy-
UPNKansas is 1MegaWatt as in 1,000,000 Watts ERP (Effective Radiated Power) due to a high gain antenna. As far as a transmitter in the Salina area, nothing is planned. We are trying to get UPNKansas on as many cable systems as possible though (not digital sorry). We just bought a brand new transmitter for going digital in Wichita, so that kind of tied up our budget. We would love to be transmitting up there, but we trust that decision to the 'bean counters', and several things factor in to the decision.

In addition our DMA (Direct Marketing Area) makes a line N to S in between Manhattan and Emporia. This is why Topeka and other eastern cities would get KC and Topeka stations vs Wichita stations. Also why Manhattan sometimes gets both KC and Wichita stations. We would not be able to put a transmitter in for the Topeka market because of our DMA, but someone else might.

Our KSAS tower is not exactly omnidirectional but close. It has a peanut shaped pattern that is focused on Wichita and Hutchinson so areas SW and NE of Wichita lose our signal faster then people SE and NW.
Our crossover point between our Salina and Wichita transmitters for FoxKansas on I-135 is McPherson.

If you have a good outdoor antenna pointed West you should be able to get analog 18 KAAS on a good day. Our KAAS-DT is only 1kW so it's just making it to Salina. Unless everything was just right, I would doubt that you could receive 18-1 in Manhattan because of those hill like things you have up that way (what do you call that? terrain?)

Hope this answers some questions
post #299 of 3098 Old 04-22-2003, 11:46 AM

I tried a rescan. It didn't help. The Samsung TS160 (DirectV/ATSC combo)is the one with all the problems not the TS165. My 160 has really been problem free. I have sold several 160s and they seem to need to be occasionally unplugged and rescanned. It seems they are susceptible to bad PSIP code and that causes them problems - or so it has been reported to be the problem. But my 165 never locks up. I did notice that when I rescanned, it paused on channels 26 and 35, before putting up the "not added" baner - where all the other frequencies (where no station exists) immediatly come up as "not added" (with no pause). That tells me that it either is seeing something, or it remembers that there was a channel there at some time.

I will soon probably try a Winegard 7210 which is supposedly very directional and very good at rejecting side and rear reflections. I am waiting for Winegard's tech support to call back so I can discuss this with them, before I proceed.

BTW, I unplugged the power to my 165 for over an hour before tha last rescan. I also can't get the antenna up much higher. I have about 3-4 inches to go, before I run out of mast.

Funny I am getting analog 24 and 36 with a decent pic. The same can be said for analog 12. Even analog 3 looks okay (a few sparkles). Analog 10 is pretty soft and it usually is the easiest to get a decent picture with an antenna. I am pointed to the Northwest. Analog 33 is also okay. If anyone else has ideas, I'll listen. If I try the different Winegard 7210, I'll report my results
post #300 of 3098 Old 04-22-2003, 01:13 PM

FP Crazy-
The other gentleman had the same exact problem, his box wasn't fixed, he got a virgin replacement that worked out of the box. His receiver did the same "pausing" thing when programming. Unplugging it will not help as I stated before, there is a battery or nonvolatile memory chip inside storing everything. If you are a dealer, have you tried a different 165 out of the box on your system?

PSIP seems to be the most problematic thing with the DTV transition. I have updated all of our encoders and PSIP equipment with the latest versions. I did this trying to fix the earlier gentleman's box, but nothing worked. I run a piece of test equipment that checks the timing and structure of the PSIP tables after they are broadcast, and everything checks out fine. I also trust that other people on the forum would be posting if they were having problems.

Our encoder company Tandberg tests their encoders with every new STB that comes out. They did report a small problem with the Samsung 165, but resolved it with a software upgrade, and I have been running that version for a month now.

If you can receive our analog channels, then I would say there is a 99% chance your antenna setup is fine. It's your STB locked up.

I hope you have the resources to try a new STB, there is nothing I can do on my end, wish there was.

jon
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page