Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is KGPT still airing Universal Sports on 49.2? I'm looking at their listings on Titan TV and it has listings for Spanish programming instead of Universal Sports, and they haven't made any change on their website mentioning this. Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay20 View Post

Is KGPT still airing Universal Sports on 49.2? I'm looking at their listings on Titan TV and it has listings for Spanish programming instead of Universal Sports, and they haven't made any change on their website mentioning this. Just wondering.

It is on 49.4.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 AM

FWIW...KGPT is now on DirecTV (49.1 only though).

UPDATE:
It turns out that KGPT has moved Azteca America to 49.2, from KSMI...and DirecTV is carrying 49.2, not 49.1 RTV, as channel 49.

Universal Sports has been moved to KSMI.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM

KPTS-8 now has a construction permit for a translator on channel 17 in Wichita.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Just got back from vacation and the place had Weather Ch. in HD. Hate to beat a dead horse but whadya say Cox? Can we have WC HD anytime soon??
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrewer View Post

just got back from vacation and the place had weather ch. In hd. Hate to beat a dead horse but whadya say cox? Can we have wc hd anytime soon??

+1
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieC View Post

Cox just announced a new "Whole Home" DVR along with an overhauled user interface. Looks good so far!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/c...multiroom-dvr/

They'll roll it out to all of their markets by the end of the year. No word on pricing, though.

Has anyone gotten the new Cisco box yet? Cox was playing commercials for this in early summer but I haven't seen any lately.

Vern
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post

+1

Every one who wants The Weather Channel in HD on Cox must call and request it. I have called many times about adding it. We need lots of people calling them to send the message that Kansas wants it.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblyth View Post

Has anyone gotten the new Cisco box yet? Cox was playing commercials for this in early summer but I haven't seen any lately.

They are in a test phase right now. I called in back when I saw the first commercial this Summer and made it on to the list that I wanted to hear more information about it. I called back in a couple of times because the dates they told me it was going to be released kept being passed. Long story short, I think I bugged them enough that I made it onto the 2 month "test phase" - where I'm getting it for free.

I got my whole home DVR system installed yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with it!

Main Host Unit: Cisco Explorer 8642HDC
Client Unit(s): Cisco Explorer 1642HDC

Notes as of right now, Cox might change this up by the time it is actually released.
  • Must setup series to record on the new box. (Kind of a pain if you record a large number of shows.) Only currently records on main box (2 shows at one time.)
  • Can only setup recordings on the 8642.
  • Fast forwarding on the client is choppy (hard to tell where to press play after commercial.)
  • Has new TRIO guide which I like and integrates search to look at on demand recordings. You can still look at the guide in grid view if that's what you prefer.

That's basically all that I can note as now. If you have any questions or would like me to try out anything, let me know!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff747 View Post

KPTS-8 now has a construction permit for a translator on channel 17 in Wichita.

So is their plan to do double coverage over Wichita like KAKE, while we out here in the sticks of the DMA get crap? These stations were stupid in going back to VHF in the first place. KWCH learned that and flipped with KSCW (12 to 19).

KAKE still has an analog transmitter here in Salina while KSN has a digital one but its SD only.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM

I noticed that KSN had their 10 PM news in full HD. I don't know if this was only for the election coverage or if this is going to be permanent.

It seems like if they can do it for one newscast, they should be able to do it for all newscasts.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM

And I noticed that KAKE was able to run the results at the bottom and remain in 16 X 9. Is this new or have I been missing it? If they can do this hopefully the weather crawls and the station identifications wont revert to sidebars.

eric
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post

I noticed that KSN had their 10 PM news in full HD. I don't know if this was only for the election coverage or if this is going to be permanent.

It seems like if they can do it for one newscast, they should be able to do it for all newscasts.

Most of the KU game on KSN was in HD last night, as well. Definitely looks like they're upgrading some of their equipment (finally)!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM

KSN had full HD for the 5pm and 6pm news today. So it looks like it's permanemt. It looks a lot better. They have blue sidebars for anything not in high definition.

Now KAKE needs to gets theirs act going.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post

KSN had full HD for the 5pm and 6pm news today. So it looks like it's permanent. It looks a lot better. They have blue sidebars for anything not in high definition.

I'm not sure this is full HD. JD Rudd said before the 10pm newscast on Monday that they were going to widescreen format. He did not say HD. And just looking at it, to me it doesn't really look like HD.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdb27 View Post

I'm not sure this is full HD. JD Rudd said before the 10pm newscast on Monday that they were going to widescreen format. He did not say HD. And just looking at it, to me it doesn't really look like HD.

When I said full HD, I meant that it filled the whole screen without stretching. I know that Cox only broadcasts in 1080i.

My D-VHS MPEG2 capture program shows:

Size: 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bit Rate: 38.8104 Mbps
Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresf View Post

And I noticed that KAKE was able to run the results at the bottom and remain in 16 X 9. Is this new or have I been missing it? If they can do this hopefully the weather crawls and the station identifications wont revert to sidebars.

KAKE has been able to do this for at least the last eight months. The August primary election had results airing without dropping to SD. And, if you remember the series finale of "Lost" in May, the show stayed in HD throughout, even though there were some brief weather warnings that in the old days would have resulted in dropping to SD to air them.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:

You're right in that it doesn't really look like HD, because it's most definitely SD being aired in a 16x9 widescreen format. Even though the PSIP may say it's 1080i, it doesn't necessarily mean it's native HD content, in this case it's 480i widescreen, upconverted to 1080i widescreen.

Compare the old 4x3 newscasts to the 16x9 shows begun this week and you'll notice the camera shots still exhibit the same level of detail, sharpness and depth. Believe me, if it were true HD like KWCH is broadcasting, you'd notice the difference.

As for KAKE joining KWCH and KSNW in at least providing widescreen newscasts, all we can do is hope their corporate parent is finally ready to let loose the purse-strings to fund the infrastructure conversion.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 AM

It is noticeable that not all of KSN's video sources are true HD, even watching on my 32"
720p TV, but the widescreen format without picture stretching is nice.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Speaking of KSN and HD, a little something from their web page:
Quote:

KSNW transmits all available HD programming in High Definition. KSN's satellite stations transmit those digital signals in standard definition.

This is obviously not true, as both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are available in HD and are not transmitted that way by KSN.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Speaking of KSN and HD, a little something from their web page:

This is obviously not true, as both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are available in HD and are not transmitted that way by KSN.

They have The Doctors, Swift Justice with Nancy Grace, The Insider and Regis and Kelly and they are all available in HD as well...so I am assuming that the only thing they have available in HD is the Network programming....
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff747 View Post

It is noticeable that not all of KSN's video sources are true HD, even watching on my 32"
720p TV, but the widescreen format without picture stretching is nice.

KSN news is now in 16x9 SD and being upconverted...it is not in HD. It's only an attempt to "look HD" for their newscasts.

...or else they would be "bragging" about it. Don't you think?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes, KSN would be bragging about it, but so would KAKE if they were in the same position.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM

KSN is a joke. Pseudo HD for the news. No syndicated programming in HD. And now they delay network programming (the Event) until 3am and show that in SD. The recent Jayhawk games look like upconverted SD too. How cheap are these bozos?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

KSN is a joke. Pseudo HD for the news. No syndicated programming in HD. And now they delay network programming (the Event) until 3am and show that in SD. The recent Jayhawk games look like upconverted SD too. How cheap are these bozos?

I like the 16x9 format for the news. Sure, HD would be better but it is a nice gap closure. HD conversion costs big $$$$.

I was bummed that the Event wasn't going to be on so I caught it in HD last night on Cox's My Primetime On Demand.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemsaba View Post

I was bummed that the Event wasn't going to be on so I caught it in HD last night on Cox's My Primetime On Demand.

I did the same thing. I had recorded it so I could watch it the next day, but the recording was set to the top of the hour and it didn't actually start until about 5 minutes after, so the ending was cut off.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemsaba View Post

I like the 16x9 format for the news. Sure, HD would be better but it is a nice gap closure. HD conversion costs big $$$$.

I don't have COX. I did have my DVR recording cut off about a minute early due to the late start too. Thought about D/Ling by torrent, but it's not all that great a show.

After further research, it seems none of the local stations show their syndicated programming in HD. I don't know if the others can delay programming and maintain the HD or not. So what if it is expensive to upgrade to HD equipment. That's the business they are in. Get up to date!! The problem, of course, is no competition. You can say the local stations compete with each other, but really only for news. If you want network programming, you have to tune to their affiliate. I guess that may be changing with Cox on Demand and Hulu and the like.

Oops. correction: KWCH seems to show syndicated programming in HD: Dr. Phil, Oprah, and The Talk.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I don't have COX. I did have my DVR recording cut off about a minute early due to the late start too. Thought about D/Ling by torrent, but it's not all that great a show.

After further research, it seems none of the local stations show their syndicated programming in HD. I don't know if the others can delay programming and maintain the HD or not. So what if it is expensive to upgrade to HD equipment. That's the business they are in. Get up to date!! The problem, of course, is no competition. You can say the local stations compete with each other, but really only for news. If you want network programming, you have to tune to their affiliate. I guess that may be changing with Cox on Demand and Hulu and the like.

Oops. correction: KWCH seems to show syndicated programming in HD: Dr. Phil, Oprah, and The Talk.

The Talk is not syndicated. It is a CBS Network show that replaced "As the World Turns".....and KSCW also show in HD: Judge Alex, Divorce Court, George Lopez and TMZ.....
Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo11 View Post

The Talk is not syndicated. It is a CBS Network show that replaced "As the World Turns".....and KSCW also show in HD: Judge Alex, Divorce Court, George Lopez and TMZ.....

Oh duh! I knew that about 'The Talk' I just wasn't thinking. And I wasn't including CW, thanks to Dish Network and the channel swap KWCH and KSCW did, I can't get the CW in HD here in Salina.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:

Oh duh! I knew that about 'The Talk' I just wasn't thinking. And I wasn't including CW, thanks to Dish Network and the channel swap KWCH and KSCW did, I can't get the CW in HD here in Salina.

Oh yeah, I also forgot.....KSCW also has How I Met Your Mother in HD, too...