Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well you guys were right about the Terk....the reception of the terk (in the attic) is no better than the silver sensor on top of my TV in the basement...thankfully I can send the OTA back to the store I purchased it from on Ebay (or if anybody here wants to buy it, I paid $202 for it, let me know before the end of the week!) Does anybody know if the local channels that dish network will be offering (or is offering) are HD? Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 08:09 AM

Sorry to hear that it's not working out for you, Steve.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you'll fair any better with Dish Network. I just checked out their website and the HD pickins' are pretty slim.

#1 - We don't qualify for locals yet. I'm told that we on on Dish's list and they MAY be available in October.

#2 - Here are the meager HD options currently available on Dish (although I'm told that these choices might expand soon):

-Showtime (Free with subscription to Showtime)
-HBO (Free with subscription to HBO)
-CBS (Free with purchase of local channels package, $4.99 without locals)
-PPV (Prices vary)
-NBA TV (Free for HD subscribers)
-DiscoveryHD ($7.99/Mo)

Of course, you'd also have to get the Model 6000U receiver for $500+. Apparently, you can add an OTA cartridge for that receiver for $150.

Sounds to me like a whole lot of $$ for not much more HD than you already have.

Jay.
post #453 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 09:44 AM

I found this today - but you all probably already know!!

LITTLETON, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 5, 2003--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that the company's DISH Network(TM), America's fastest growing satellite subscription television service, will begin offering four channels of high-definition entertainment in a single, low-priced package Sept. 16.

Further establishing itself as the leader in high-definition initiatives, DISH Network will offer ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet and HDNet Movies in a new package for $9.99 per month or $109.89 annually, the lowest prices in the industry.
post #454 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Jay,
When Dish does do Wichita locals, they won't be in HD. And they CBS they carry will not be available to you either since Wichita CBS is not owned by CBS.
post #455 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Neither DISH nor DirecTV will be offering local channels in high definition. They don't have the bandwidth and I don't see this changing anytime soon. This is a non-issue if you can pick up the local channels OTA since most if not of all the D* receivers can tune in over-the-air HD. With a modest antenna in my attic, I am able to tune ALL local digital channels (ABC,CBS,NBS, FOX,UPN,WB,PBS) seamlessly with the satellite channels.

On another topic, Cox commercials where they pick on the "shortcomings" of satellite dishes are funny, and yet insulting and inaccurate as well. I can tune each of 4 sat boxes to a different channel. Clouds and frisbee throwing children are never an issue. Installation really wasn't that hard. On the other hand, with cable, any problem in the wired network upstream of your house can cause you grief. I put up with crappy cable quality for YEARS in my last house. I'm not saying cable doesn't have some advantages over dish, but the reverse is also true. I was prepared to switch back to cable, but the Cox commercials irritate me just enough that it makes a switch back unpalatable. In fact, with the incredible slowdown of my cable internet connection, I'm considering switching to DSL. At that point I wouldn't be paying Cox one dime. There would be some satisfaction in that.

David
post #456 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 10:56 AM

Don't worry, David, you don't sound bitter at all.

I know what you mean, this latest round of commercials from COX have been irritating me as well. They're well done and sort of funny and clever, but, they're very misleading, if not outright lies.

Since I just got satellite, I'm having COX come out to shut my cable down to just internet + limited basic for the local channels. I'm going to have them do some rewiring as well. My channel quality, especially on the lower numbered channels (3, 10, etc) is pretty awful. Mostly, however, I'm getting really tired of having to 'reset' my cable modem 2-3 times a day.

On the OTA HD topic: I believe you are in west Wichita, right? What kind of modest antenna do you have mounted in your attic? Do you have to rotate it to get all 7 channels, or can it be aimed and forgotten?

Sorry for all the questions, but my receiver should be here this week and I want to be ready to go. Thanks, Jay.
post #457 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 11:26 AM

A few niblets of info from our station.

1 - Our Salina analog(18) and digital(17) are back on after a transmission line repair on the tower over the weekend.

2- Our Wichita digitals are at full power and have been for some time.

3 - Analog reception of UHF analog channels (24, 33, 36) is a good start for
knowing if DTV OTA will work at your site. But does not guarantee reception, because of various other issues.

4 - We are the gathering site for DirecTV, they installed the necessary reception equipment (NTSC only) and their digital muxes 2 weeks ago. They are only waiting on the fiber to be installed that they will be outputting to, and whatever patching is necessary on their side. But they are close to completion. As far as pricing or any other info, refer to them, just thought I would pass on the fact that people are working on it. It's free OTA in Wichita, but this will help people in the more remote parts of KS who want to see local content.

Someone commented on us broadcasting digital and not offering HD content. This is all under control of the networks, UPN offers nothing, FOX gives us 480p in widescreen which we pump up to 1080i and pass on. FOX will be upgrading to 720p for Fall 2004. At that time we will switch to 720p, and upconvert any non network material to 720p instead of 1080i.

As always, if anyone has any problems with our signals or questions about or stations feel free to post, or email me directly.

jon
post #458 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 11:43 AM

I take it none of you are having any problems with your ota reception. Any idea what could cause my reception to drop from 80% to 20% on all channels?
post #459 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 12:48 PM

Jon,
I for one appreciate your updates! They help separate the rumor from truth. I receive all of your channels rock solid in McPherson. Thanks for the good work!
Regards,
Chance
post #460 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have "heard" that Cox will have ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS in high definition within the next two weeks. A friend said his TIVO channel guide is already showing the channels, and he even gets sound, but no picture since he does not have an HD box.

Other "rumours"

Best Buy will eventually offer the Motorola boxes. It's an issue of supply - they can't get them, or at least enough of them to justify carrying them.

The Motorola 6208 will eventually be an option. "When" depends on availability.

The reason Cox isn't actively promoting their HD offering is because of the limited supply of boxes.

This information comes from a friend who talked to a guy who works for Cox, i.e 3rd hand.

David
post #461 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Chris - Ijust hooked up my OTA with attic antenna last Friday - I live in SE Wichita (Lincoln and 127th St East) The only channels I receive are ABC, FOX, UPN, and WB - and I get the signal in at about 30%...I wish I had it up before Sept 1st so that I too could compare. On a side note I finally got some HD content last night (could not receive any over the weekend) which consisted of the ABC shows - city slickers, alias, and the practice...NONE of it looked like it was HD....maybe DVD quality...I saw part of the football game last Thursday (while holding the antenna in the basement) and it was awesome, but all of the effort/expense is not worth it to just watch sports....
post #462 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by haysdb
I have "heard" that Cox will have ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS in high definition within the next two weeks. A friend said his TIVO channel guide is already showing the channels, and he even gets sound, but no picture since he does not have an HD box.

TiVo reports the following locals:

601 - KSNW
602 - KAKE
603 - KWCH
604 - KPTS

I went up to 620 and couldn't get any other locals to show up (KSAS, WB33, UPN).

The only sound I get is from KAKE. If my TiVo doesn't encounter a signal it reverts back to the previous good channel. Perhaps your friend was hearing KAKE each time he tried to tune a channel with TiVo. That's what happened to me.
post #463 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 03:45 PM

Steve, do you not have the ability/choice to install an outdoor antenna? I picked up that RS 2160 the other day and mounted it Sunday it gave me 2-3 notches more of signal that the old VHF/UHF combo I had, but both were picking up all 7 stations outdoors. I never did try a Zenith SS yet to see if there was any difference, but I assume it would be worse as I live in a brick house. Anyway to my point your more than welcome to have my old VHF/UHF combo to try if you still have the cable running to the attic anyway. The VHF side is missing some elements but the UHF side is complete.
post #464 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 03:57 PM

Edison - I can install outside if I get approval from the homeowners association...easier to do the attic - I don't have to get permission!!
post #465 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klemsaba
TiVo reports the following locals:

601 - KSNW
602 - KAKE
603 - KWCH
604 - KPTS

That's interesting... my TiVo's don't show those yet. What is even more interesting is that KAKE is currently 601... will they be moving a channel already?
post #466 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 05:57 PM

Well, just got home and my reception is still low...I can only get fox. Looks like no Monday Night Football in HD tonight!! Guess I'll have to look at mounting the antenna outside versus in my attic. Anybody got any advice on mounting it to my roof?
post #467 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hippster
That's interesting... my TiVo's don't show those yet. What is even more interesting is that KAKE is currently 601... will they be moving a channel already?

Maybe it will show up after tonights update. BTW, have you checked if your TiVo has made a successful call lately?
post #468 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I checked TiVo just now and I had a 'lineup change has occured' message. It came through Sunday evening.
post #469 of 3101 Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by XRay
Don't worry, David, you don't sound bitter at all.

I was holding back!

Quote:

On the OTA HD topic: I believe you are in west Wichita, right What kind of modest antenna do you have mounted in your attic? Do you have to rotate it to get all 7 channels, or can it be aimed and forgotten?

Yes, I am in NW Wichita. My antenna is a UHF only Channel Master 4221 4-way bowtie. I set the orientation once and I've not had to fuss with it.

David
post #470 of 3101 Old 09-09-2003, 12:06 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC - Thanks for the info - a whole year until fox sends us HD content Is there equipment to upgrade here or is it just corporate that can flip a switch and send it to us, the reason I'm asking is because the Super Bowl...that would be killer in HD!! Thanks, Steve
post #471 of 3101 Old 09-09-2003, 06:16 PM

The stupid weather crawl / map is ruining broadcast HDTV in Wichita. I just got this installed and to see a program that is supposed to be HDTV in this case the dreadful 8 Simple Rules... with the awful black bars on the sides is inexcusable!

Let's see my fellow Kansans....how many times do you see that stupid map a year? Yeah way too many to have this problem. Anyone contact them about it?

Imagine a blizzard or something during the Superbowl, it would ruin it!
post #472 of 3101 Old 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

I hope you never have a tornado heading for your house. Relax. Its only TV.
post #473 of 3101 Old 09-10-2003, 07:24 AM

Well I missed 8 Simple Rules last night but flipped over and noticed that the first episode (7:30-8) of According to Jim was 4:3 but there was no weather crawl. The second (8-8:30) was also, until 10 minutes or so in then it popped into 16:9, and stayed through Less than Perfect. While I think the crawl probably did screw with 8 Simple Rules, I think someone forgot to flip the "switch" after it was over, if its as simple as that. The best scenerio I've heard is to call the station on the news line and ask for an engineer. While this won't keep the weather crawl from affecting the HD presentation its only a matter of time before the equipment used to generate the crawl gets updated too.

On other notes I contacted 2 of the local stations and got replies to HD questions maybe we could group all the contact info into one post, as I know some is spread throughout this topic.

mheffner@wbkansas.com - WB KWCV
dmcclintock@kpts.org - PBS KPTS
post #474 of 3101 Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 AM

KS-Jayhawk-

We are doing what we can as far as flipping a switch...
We upconvert everything to 1080i, whether it's Fox at 480p, or Roseanne from an old analog videotape. We crank it up here, but the source is not always the highest quality.

It's somewhat like you upconverting or downconverting with your STB to match your screen's native format, except we are using a professional, very expensive box to do the upconversion.

When Fox goes to 720p, it will be a native format, they send it to us 720p, and we pass it through, much like other networks/affiliates are doing.

hope that helps
jon
post #475 of 3101 Old 09-15-2003, 12:30 PM

Well, I'm finally setup with my OTA receiver. I've been out of town, so I just got a chance to set it up.

The Silver Sensor didn't work very well for me. I was able to get, I think only 3 channels with it. I ended up going to Primetime Communications and picking up a Winegard 7210 for $85. I know that's probably a little overkill, and I don't need the VHF elements, but it was available locally, and it is the antenna that Primetime installs in this area and they've had good luck with it.

Anyway, this Sunday, I spent a lot of time in the attic. In addition to mounting my antenna, I shored up and installed 3 ceiling fans. My knees are killing me, and I've breathed about all the fiberglass I can stand!

So, I can pick up all 7 channels now. Channel 19 (CBS) is a little touch and go, but I haven't actually aimed the antenna yet, I just pointed it in the general direction of Colwich / Hutchinson. I expect that a little positioning will bring in 19 reliably.

One interesting thing, in all my testing (antenna on the box in the garage; antenna suspended from the ceiling in the garage; antenna propped up on a couple of chairs in the backyard), I could not get PBS to tune in at all. I couldn't even get it with the antenna in the attic, but just laying across the joists. I had just given up on PBS, but, once I got it suspended from the rafters (via a half inch galvinized pipe), PBS comes in just as strong as all the others, about 50%. A pleasant surprise.

Now, on HD content. I watched 'The Practice' last night which was supposed to be in HD, but I was underwhelmed. It was a good picture all right, but I wasn't in awe (Neither was my wife, which is the real problem )

I'm looking forward to Monday Night Football tonight. I really need to be impressed.

Regards. Jay.
post #476 of 3101 Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Has Cox added the INHD and INHD2 channels? I see the press release saying they are one of the carriers, but not sure if we will get it here in Kansas.
post #477 of 3101 Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 PM

Congrats Jay. Aiming the antenna may help, if I recall KWCH, and KPTS look to use the same tower judging by the antennaweb site. I turned my outdoor a bit and was able to bump the signal on 8 & 12 without affecting the others.

I too have seen some HD stuff that was underwhelming but then other shows look stunning. I wish KPTS would run the HDTV Demo loop that the national PBS shows I hear it looks stunning. I'm leaning towards the DishNetwork offerings, but am holding out until the 811 receiver and Superdish are available.
post #478 of 3101 Old 09-16-2003, 02:00 PM

Did anyone else who watched the ABC MNF game last night experience audio drop outs (5.1) the first 45 minutes?
post #479 of 3101 Old 09-16-2003, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard from a friend who heard it from a salesman at Best Buy that they would be carrying the Motorola 5100, beginning, I believe he said, October 19. Don't quote me on this since it's 3rd hand information and neither my hearing nor my memory are very good.

David
post #480 of 3101 Old 09-17-2003, 06:31 AM

Hey edison,

I did experience some audio dropouts, several times, but only for a split second. On the good side, this was my first 'real' HD experience. The picture was remarkable! I wish all shows that are reportedly in HD had this quality.

By the way, I watched Law and Order: SVU last night and it did look good once it swithed to HD. The first 10-15 minutes were 4:3 standard definition, then it abruptly switched to 16:9. What is the deal with that? Surely it's not simply a matter of board operator forgetting to push the 'HD Button' is it?

Regards. Jay.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page