Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3101 Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard some good "rumours" today about Cox:
  • Remember how Cox said they would not be leasing the Motorola High Def STBs? They are now leasing the STBs for $10 per month. Plus $50 installation. Self-install is not an option.
  • When Cox first started offering HD, the few local retailers carrying the Motorola STB were cought unprepared and their stock was depleted almost immediately. One of those retailers placed a large order for the STBs, and now that Cox has reversed themselves and are leasing the boxes, said retailer is left holding a huge inventory of boxes.
  • I reported some time ago that Best Buy would soon being offering the Motorola STB? I'm told they are holding off due to a large number of reported problems. I'm not sure whether this is based on their internal testing or what.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

More COX info...

INHD and INHD2 are coming soon in November.
post #543 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by klemsaba
More COX info...

INHD and INHD2 are coming soon in November.

INHD? I see that there is a web site, www.inhd.com, but I still don't know what it is. Movies, Sports, Travel and Nature. It's new, just launched Sept 15, 2003. Who is behind it? It costs a lot of money to launch a couple of HD channels. Ooh ooh ooh, college hockey. And a football game between Furman and Ga. Southern. Wow, cool.

It's HD though, and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. HDNet certainly started out with nothing more amazing. Arena football?

David
post #544 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 PM

Well KWCH came back last night in time for Letterman, so I don't know what the problem was.

On the topic at hand what is the cheapest package price to get COX HD, and for those of you who have it how the PQ?

edit: Well I called COX they are already out of lease boxes (due to overwhelming demand) since I already have basic/internet it would cost me $18.95 more a month (9.00 (digital), 9.95 (HD/box rental)). I would gain some regular channels, but really only ESPN & Discovery HD in the HD tier (since I don't subscribe to HBO/Showtime). She didn't know if INHD would be free with the HD tier or an added cost.

Doug
post #545 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edison
[b]For some reason I have lost KWCH, and KPTS tonight. /B]

I had some intermittent issues around 7pm with CBS. They came back just fine.

I have, however, had a few days this past cople of weeks where PBS would just go off the air. No signal at all.

I'm still not getting love from ABC, but my antenna hasn't arrived yet either....

Are you still experiencing CBS and PBS issues?
post #546 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 04:17 PM

Quote:

On the topic at hand what is the cheapest package price to get COX HD, and for those of you who have it how the PQ?
Doug

Not to be a thorn in anyone's side -- but has KAKE changed the terms of it's contract with Cox?

Last time I checked, there wasn't going to be HD delivery of any of the local channels on Cox, except KAKE. Cox is going to carry the DIGITAL broadcast, but not the HD broadcast(s).

Again, I could be speaking out of turn, but this was purportedly because when KAKE and Cox signed the contract to carry ABC's/KAKE's HD programming, there was some language hidden in the contract giving KAKE "exclusivtity of HD broadcasting" -- eliminating the ability for Cox to carry the HD from other local stations.

Has something changed that I don't know about?
post #547 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 04:44 PM

"Last time I checked, there wasn't going to be HD delivery of any of the local channels on Cox, except KAKE. Cox is going to carry the DIGITAL broadcast, but not the HD broadcast(s).

Again, I could be speaking out of turn, but this was purportedly because when KAKE and Cox signed the contract to carry ABC's/KAKE's HD programming, there was some language hidden in the contract giving KAKE "exclusivtity of HD broadcasting" -- eliminating the ability for Cox to carry the HD from other local stations.

Has something changed that I don't know about?"

I'm pretty sure this is NOT true. I'm not sure where you got that info but you should temper statements like with a clause that that it is only what you believe or at least state who/where your source is. People read these forums and take everything for gospel and I read so many daily un truths that I feel sorry for the average man that reads this stuff and thinks it is the "truth".

I think what was reported earlier was that Cox had signed an agreement with KAKE to carry an ancillary channel (Channel 51?) and for that Cox received and was able to rebroadcast KAKE's HD channel - at no charge. I also "heard" from an unnamed source (so I can't say it is absolutely true) that the rest of the locals (primarily Channel 3 and 12) are wanting compensation from Cox for their respective HD channels. Cox doesn't want to pay for them and they don't want to give them up for free. So far it's a standoff. This all may not be true but I just can't believe that Cox would ever sign an agreement to only carry KAKE's HD channels. With the obvious future being totally HD that's just silly and that's just silly to post that!
post #548 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 05:05 PM

I think I effectively used the correct language. For instance: "purportedly" and "speaking out of turn". I don't believe I used the word "gospel" or the language "written in stone".

I had heard, through the grapevine, that this was the principal issue. While contracts can be extremely verbose, it is possible that some kind of "boilerplate" was used to create the agreement, and some language may have been included (intentionally or otherwise). Simply put, this is what I understood. There may, in fact, be this language. Then again, there may not. There is also the possibility that what you mentioned has merit -- the other broadcasters may be holding out for compensation -- WHICH THEY ARE ENTITLED TO BY LAW. It is possible that the language in the contract between Cox and KAKE strongly favors KAKE's position. If KAKE were my company, I can assure you that I would do everything in my power to give myself the edge over my competition.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that subscribers to Cox Cable usually get the minimal amount of service that can be delivered cost effectively. It comes back to driving revenue for the stockholders. Don't expect KAKE or Cox (or anyone in business, for that matter) to give you something for free... even "free" broadcast TV has commercials.

Thanks for completely jumping off the handle, and assuming that everyone else that *might* read this thread is some kind of idiot. If you have something evidentiary that nullifies the issue that I have posed, then post it. Don't criticize it.
post #549 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shawncochran
Are you still experiencing CBS and PBS issues?

Nope, like I said KWCH came back last night around the time Letterman came on. Tonight they're both on KWCH & KPTS, and I just noticed even 33 WB is back on.

Doug
post #550 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edison
Nope, like I said KWCH came back last night around the time Letterman came on. Tonight they're both on KWCH & KPTS, and I just noticed even 33 WB is back on.

Doug

THANKS!!!!!! I am gonna go turn it back on in my receiver now! I appreciate the update.
post #551 of 3101 Old 11-04-2003, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding KAKE's contract with Cox. Even if there WERE such languange in the contract, I suspect it would not be binding, or at least not enforceable. It would be contrary to what the FCC is trying to accomplish, contrary to what's in the best interest of consumers. I'm not a lawyer, but it fails a basic sanity test and therefore I believe it not to be true.

That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

David
post #552 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Cable comanies all over the country are facing the same issue with local stations. Local stations want cable companies to carry all their digital channels, not just their primary HD channel. This is a big snag. I'm sure KWCH wasn't very happy when COX dumped their channel 52 last spring and I bet that has something to do with the delay for that channel. It wouldn't shock me if locals started multi-casting on their digital spectrum in the future and they want all their programming on cable.

I think COX is ready to go and waiting on final agreements. My TiVO still reports all the new local HD lineups!
post #553 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 AM

I'm not going to say much about this Cox situation, except that you guys have a lot of bad info. I'll encourage the people in the know at Cox to at least read this forum and consider posting some facts.

I do agree that they need to make their plans more public, they might not realize the amount of interest that is out there. The person we are in contact with doesn't feel this information is top secret, so maybe they will start sharing it.

jon
post #554 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I know in the Topeka market, WIBW is the only HD channel on. It is the CBS affiliate, which happens to be owned by the same group that owns KAKE in Wichita.

I have asked the PBS guys in topeka if they will be included and he said yes, they are just trying to work out details in the contract. I think alot of times, lawyers get involved and one word in a contract can hang things up. I would imagine something similar is happening.

OR, Cox doesn't have all the bandwidth everyone thinks they do, which I believe to be true somewhat. I was told by a headend tech that they were almost full on their 750 mhz system. That's what get me, all these people talk like cable has unlimited bandwidth, when they are in a crunch just like satellite, just not as bad.
post #555 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 09:53 AM

Edison - I have heard (through Heffner TV here in Wichita) that if you have Cox internet, that the digital gateway is already turned on, therefore all you really need to do is rent the box, and it will receive the HD content (locals). Not sure if this is really true...has anyone else heard this?
post #556 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
I'm not going to say much about this Cox situation, except that you guys have a lot of bad info. I'll encourage the people in the know at Cox to at least read this forum and consider posting some facts.

I do agree that they need to make their plans more public, they might not realize the amount of interest that is out there. The person we are in contact with doesn't feel this information is top secret, so maybe they will start sharing it.

jon

Jon, it would be super fantastic if someone from Cox, who knows what the heck is going on, would post the publicly available facts. Cox is a Big Black Hole of information, or should I say misinformation, or even disinformation. One example, I called once, way back when, and asked a rep when they would begin offering HD, and was told they already were! That, of course, was total BS, because what they were offering was "digital cable", which of course has as much to do with HD as nothing.

So, when all we get out of Cox is this continuous line of BS, we are left to try to piece together something from rumours, from things said by so-and-so who heard it from someone whose room-mate is a tech for Cox. I'd much rather hear it from the horses mouth. But I swear, if it's just more BS, they better put their flame suit on.

David
post #557 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

David,
Don't worry, nobody from Cox will dare come on this thread.

tim
post #558 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376
David,
Don't worry, nobody from Cox will dare come on this thread.

tim

I agree. It would be out of character for them to to be forthcoming. OTOH, they do have a new Pres or CEO don't they? It takes awhile to change a culture. I'm not holding my breath, but it could happen. My own personal cynical opinion, based purely on my own experience, is that (1) NOBODY at Cox knows what's going on, and if there IS anyone who knows what's going on (2) they aren't about to share that information with anyone, and sure as hell not a rumour mongering Internet forum like this one.

David
post #559 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 05:19 PM

This is interesting:

http://www.cox.com/Kansas/CableTV/Ci...ta&view=lineup

Note the HDTV portion. I don't know what to make of it.
post #560 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376

OR, Cox doesn't have all the bandwidth everyone thinks they do, which I believe to be true somewhat. I was told by a headend tech that they were almost full on their 750 mhz system. That's what get me, all these people talk like cable has unlimited bandwidth, when they are in a crunch just like satellite, just not as bad.

Cocks has more than enough bandwidth they are just *******s. They certainly have enough to broadcast all the locals in HD. But after all that's why they're Cocks

ps

No Answer as to why there is Boomerang in Spanish only?

pps

Since when is b a s t a r d a "bad word"? It is the title of a book!!!
post #561 of 3101 Old 11-05-2003, 06:33 PM

I see that the digital signal from WB is back up here in Wichita. However, they are not broadcasting in HD. Anybody know why? Are they set up for digital but not for HD? Just wondering.

Vern
post #562 of 3101 Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 PM

For the record, I didn't mean to open Pandora's box.

I agree with what everyone is posting here. The fact is: Cox doesn't tell anyone anything, so it is left up to your imagination.

I suppose they are trying to keep their competition from beating them to the punch. Really though, their only competition is DBS providers -- who have different advantages/disadvantages.

I just want subscribers to Cox to get for free what everyone else gets if they have an antenna.

Oh, and I want to get KAKE at the house ... still working that issue
post #563 of 3101 Old 11-09-2003, 03:24 PM

This may be slightly off topic, since it has nothing to do with HD but...

I have a tentative appointment with Primetime Communications to have my Dish 500 swapped out for a Super Dish so I can start receiving local channels. I'm told that "we're hoping for the week of the 24th."

I'm looking forward to it. This way, I can watch my programs via OTA HD when I'm here, or PVR the SD version off of DISH when I'm not.

Regards. Jay.
post #564 of 3101 Old 11-14-2003, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by KS-Jayhawk
Edison - I have heard (through Heffner TV here in Wichita) that if you have Cox internet, that the digital gateway is already turned on, therefore all you really need to do is rent the box, and it will receive the HD content (locals). Not sure if this is really true...has anyone else heard this?

If you rent the box, from what I have heard, it include the cost of the channels. So yeah that would work. But what about if you have a card in your computer that will decode QAM?? I know the AccessDTV card will allow you to view QAM and they are about $250 so it might be worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, the card will still allow you to view and record OTA channels.
post #565 of 3101 Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 AM

So has anybody heard any new news of when cocks is going to start carrying more local HD channels?
post #566 of 3101 Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 PM

I thought they were carrying all the locals...I've called three times in the last two weeks and every time they said they were carrying all locals. I've put myself on the waiting list to rent an HD box based on that info. If this is not true, someone let me know.
post #567 of 3101 Old 11-19-2003, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The only channel in Wichita they carry is KAKE. period. They only carry one in Topeka also, WIBW, who is owned by the same company that KAKE is.
post #568 of 3101 Old 11-19-2003, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The frequency with which they give out incorrect information is amazing. One wonders whether they are really that ignorant, or if they do it with full knowledge of the truth.

Coach to player: "Son, you are either ignorant or apathetic"
Player: "Coach, I don't know what that means, and I don't care."
post #569 of 3101 Old 11-24-2003, 09:59 AM

As of some time in the past few days (I don't check from day to day) the Cox digital HD feed now includes INHD and INHD2. So currently, KAKE, ESPNHD, Discovery HD (free for the 1st 6 mos.) and the two INHDs are the basic HD service. This means you get the ESPN Sunday night NFL game and Monday Night Football in HD.

INHD programming looks pretty similar to Discovery - lots of nature/travel programs shown repeatedly - but they do have some movies (I couldn't resist watching the original "Oceans 11" in Hi-Def last night).

Now if they could just sign up the NBC and CBS feeds . . .
post #570 of 3101 Old 11-24-2003, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone following the public pissing match between Cox and ESPN? I got an email from the President of Cox, as I asume did every other subscriber for whom they have an email address, asking me to support Cox in their fight against ESPN. Not just taking the man's word on the subject, I bopped over to ESPN and read their take on things. I'm still too ill informed to have an informed opinion on the matter, but I will say ESPN thus far has made the more convincing argument in my mind.

Since this effects all Cox subscribers and not just Wichita, discussion of this thread belongs elsewhere, but I just thought I'd bring it up here so that the "local's" are aware of what's going on.

David
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page