Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3098 Old 01-12-2004, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Jon - it is sincerely appreciated!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3098 Old 01-12-2004, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info Jon. We all look forward to the pure 720p and the 5.1 audio!

Vern
post #633 of 3098 Old 01-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Jon,
Where are you going to fit another dish?
Good Luck,
David Bird
post #634 of 3098 Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 AM

Bird-
You never know who's going to show up on this forum, do you....

Considering we put one of our last midsize dishes over the women's restroom, (we weren't sure of the roof's bearing capacity, or we would have put it over the mens ) space is tight.

Dave is still trying to figure out where to put it, but we will probably lose more parking one way or another. In 5 years we've gone from 5 dishes to 10 soon to be 11, it's become an epidemic.

Was the Salt Lake thread a little boring? I'll try to keep my excuses for equipment malfunctions and reboots entertaining just in case you need a good laugh!

take care
jon
post #635 of 3098 Old 01-19-2004, 11:22 AM

To - Talon95 and Quicksilver.

I was reading on hardware forum about those that had found a receiver at CC on the cheap(closeout). The receiver was the Zenith HDV-420. Found one but it was last in store from the display shelf. Price $209.

Since I had put a gargantuan antenna in attic(biggest from radio shack), thread my rg6, was anxious to get hooked up. Did and first experience was AFC championship. Once we were past the snow droplets on lens the picture was outstanding. The signal strength was consistently bouncing into the Good range .

The crazy part is - I have still run lead from antenna to preamp - to 3 way splitter and down to STB. The signal strength is still Good and sometimes bounces to end of Good. Have not tried 5.1 yet - too many things unplugged at the moment. Is there any foreseeable problems with the amp and splitter?

My next step was to try a straight feed from antenna w/o amp and splitter.

Thanks for info is past and future.
post #636 of 3098 Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Charlie,

What is connected to what at this moment? I thought you were connected with a straight feed between your Zenith HD receiver and the antenna, but then you said that's the next step. I'm cornfused.

Before you add the pre-amp and splitter, adjust your antenna for maximum signal strength, by pointing it more to the left or right. Once that's done, what you do next will depend on the signal you have. If you have a solid signal on every channel, you most likely won't need the pre-amp at all, so just try the splitter and see what happens.

Good luck.

David
post #637 of 3098 Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 PM

Just an update on HDTV experiences with me...
I wrote a piece a few months back about "bouncing" signal on ABC. I had purchased a directional outdoor antenna from RadioShark first, which caused a certain amount of quality. Then, based upon some advice, I purchased another outdoor antenna from Don's here in town. Again, excellent antenna. 4 bowties and big mesh screen on the back to kill bounces.
Sadly, the same issue was happening on ABC, signal going from 80% to 100% in rapid succession.
Onto antenna #3, as suggested in this thread.... the Zenith Silver Sensor. WOO-HOO! Now, all the local channels are up 100% of the time. No reception issues. I gotta believe the outdoor antennas were simply getting TOO MUCH signal. I know that sounds a little off-base, but that simply has to be my issue. Maybe that is Charlies' issue too.
Anyway, my humble opinion is: if you are in Sedgwick County, give the old Zenith a shot first, pointing it at the Colwich tower farm. Unless, of course, you are between Colwich and Hutchinson, then you are gonna need to point it at Hutch for 8 and 12 and the rest are in Colwich.
Incidentally, thank you to everyone who helped me during this process. I value your input.
Jon: that is very cool news about 24 going to 720p and 5.1 -- I will look forward to an update on that!
post #638 of 3098 Old 01-19-2004, 03:38 PM

Haysdb

Charlie,

What is connected to what at this moment? I thought you were connected with a straight feed between your Zenith HD receiver and the antenna, but then you said that's the next step. I'm cornfused.

Currently - Antenna connected pre-amp connected to splitter connected to STB. All channels I would guess in the range of 90-95% except PBS - probably at 60-75%. Mild fluctuations in all signals - maybe 15% up and down. The signal up and down doesn't change picture that I can tell. Don't know if this is caused by pre-amp or just nature of signal?
No ghosting - very clean picture.

Next step would be to try w/o pre-amp and splitter. That setup was there originally from previous home owner.
post #639 of 3098 Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Charlie, if you are getting all stations strong, don't mess with it!

I suspect the pre-amp is not necessary, so if you feel like experimenting, I'd remove that and see what happens. If the splitter is of good quality, it should not have any adverse effect on the signal. Yes, you do loose some signal, but with a digital signal, you either get it perfectly, or you don't get it at all.

David
post #640 of 3098 Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 AM

Is anybody having any sound issues over the air on ABC? For some reason, I wasn't getting any sound yesterday.
post #641 of 3098 Old 01-22-2004, 11:33 AM

Hey everyone,

I checked the Silvor Sensor post over in the hardware forum and the reviews seem to be about 70/30 in favor of the Silvor Sensor working rather well. My tv is in the basement of my house (on the very north end of Mulvane) - just wondering if anyone else in the Wichita-Metro area uses the Silvor Sensor and how well it works for them (especially in a basement)??

Mark
post #642 of 3098 Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 AM

I tried the Silver Sensor in my basement in Goddard. I could get some of the channels, but not all. In the end, I ended up going with an attic mounted antenna. That gives me all seven channels with no problems.

Regards. Jay.
post #643 of 3098 Old 01-22-2004, 08:46 PM

I tried the Silver Sensor in my basement in NE Wichita and was able to get 4 out of 8 channels. I then ran a cable to my garage attic, put the SS up there and I get all of the channels with no problems. Great deal for the money as compared to some other antennas.

Vern
post #644 of 3098 Old 01-26-2004, 12:56 PM

Well,
I bought a Motorola HDT-100 last weekend from Circuit City. I wanted the Silvor Sensor to go with it, but had to go to Best Buy to get one. They were out so I chickened out and bought a Jensen Amplified FM/VHF/UHF combo instead. Could pickup FOX, WB, and UPN only (and that was only upstairs - I didn't even bother trying it in the basement where my DTV is). So now my dilemma is this... I am planning on returning the Jensen and picking up a Silver Sensor from Sears tonight. However, I have a feeling that it won't work much better. TitanTV is recommending the Winegard Sensar II amplified antenna for an attic installation - does anyone have any experience with the Sensar II's? Just wondering how well they work in comparison with the Silvor Sensors from Zenith. I live on the north end of Mulvane by the way...

And if anyone has any early results from the new Winegard SquareShooter, please let me know... I have a pretty clear line of sight on the northwest corner of my house pointing to the towers... a squareshooter would fit nicely right up under the roof peak.

Mark
post #645 of 3098 Old 01-27-2004, 07:31 AM

Well, if any of you have been paying attention to this forum and the hardware forum over the last week, you know by now that I have been trying to get OTA HD in time for the Superbowl. I live on the north end of Mulvane and have been posting many questions on which receiver/antenna to purchase for the job. I bought a Motorola HDT-100 from Circuit City last Friday along with a Jensen Amplified VHF/UHF combo antenna from Best Buy. I got it home and hooked them up to my standard TV upstairs to test the antenna's capabilities - I must say I was rather disappointed with the results. I was only able to receive Fox, UPN, and The WB. While these channels looked excellent (much better than their Cable counterparts in fact) I was still not getting KWCH. After much worrying and fretting about which type of antenna to try next, I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would have to install a large antenna in the attic and figure out a way to run the cable to the basement in order to view the SuperBowl in HD this year.

But, last night, with some reluctance, I purchased a Zenith Silver Sensor. I placed it on my kitchen table and ran the autoscan, not expecting much better results than before. Holy Hell was I surprised! It picked up all the stations without even breaking a sweat. Even KWCH looked good, and it's 45 miles away according to antennaweb.org. I never would have guessed the flimsy, artsy-looking, space-gun contraption would have done the job but it did. I haven't tried it out downstairs on the DTV yet, but I have a feeling it will work as long as it sits up high on top of the TV. And if not, well then I will just leave it connected to the 50 ft. coax cable and move it upstairs to the ledge if need be for the big game!

Just thought I would post the results here for everyone to see - I live on the north end of Mulvane, about two blocks east of Rock Road (right next to the new high school). I have a pretty clear line of sight to the towers but I was truly expecting an attic installation in order to receive the stations; I have a newfound respect for Zenith products (another story in and of itself - basically lost confidence in them but recently have purchased two or three Zenith products and have been amazed at the results).

And by the way, the Silver Sensor was $10 cheaper than the Jensen!

Mark
post #646 of 3098 Old 01-27-2004, 10:00 AM

Congratulations Mark, the Superbowl in HD will awesome! I heard of the Silver Sensor on this forum 4 months ago and I have been very satisfied with it's performance, especially for it's size and price.

Vern
post #647 of 3098 Old 01-29-2004, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

There was a message earlier in this thread about Cox not scrambling the HDTV channels on their digital cable. Is there anyone that reads this thread that has a set with an integrated QAM tuner that has Cox cable? Best Buy has a TV I am interested in that has bulit in 8VSB and QAM tuners.

Anyone???
post #648 of 3098 Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim, it would really defeat the purpose of integrated tuners if they didn't work, wouldn't it? Man, what a brouhaha that would create in the halls of congress!

David
post #649 of 3098 Old 01-30-2004, 11:44 AM

My dad lives 100yds in Oklahoma, just south of Ark City. We can get all channels in digital, except PBS only comes in at night and CBS only comes in 98% of the time.

CM antenna and preamp on 30ish ft pole
Zenith HDV420

We put the latest CM 7777 amplifier on order. I'll let you know if it helps.
Are PBS and CBS broadcasting at full power? Are their digital transmitters at the same spot as their analog ones? Can anyone at this range pick up PBS consistently? It sounds like from other posts the HUGHES HTL-HD will do a better job of picking up weak signals. Maybe I'll switch.

Sorry if this is a repost, but 33pgs is a little unwieldy. Maybe we can add a note to first post about if everyone is broadcasting full power?
post #650 of 3098 Old 01-30-2004, 12:36 PM

gfgray-

Are these Wichita based affiliates?

jon
post #651 of 3098 Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 AM

gfgray,
The CBS(KWCH) and PBS(KPTS) transmitters are located just east of Hutchinson which puts them around 85 miles from you. The other stations are just east of Colwich with a distance of 60 miles. CBS and PBS are pushing deep fringe reception and I would expect a few drop outs at times. PBS turns on their Digital transmitter in the evening during prime time which accounts for no reception in daytime hours. I have not heard if CBS or PBS is running at full power but I would say your antenna install is doing good job. Have you tried to receive any of the Tulsa stations? They look to be around 80 miles so you may be able to receive a few. Check out this link for more info on Oklahoma HDTV stations.
http://www.hdtvok.com

Regards,
Chance
post #652 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Um, this is rather embarrassing, but is the Super Bowl supposed to be in High Definition? My digital channel 12-1 is black. Is it just me?

David
post #653 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It's working fine here David. Maybe the snow is causing some problems.

Dave G.
post #654 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

David
post #655 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
During the half time show, the sound was stuttering some though. I'm not sure if that's CBS or a reception problem. Picture looked ok.

Dave G.
post #656 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My signal strength on 19 (12-1) is a whopping 18. If I were a died-in-the-wool football fan, I'd be up in the attic, twisting my antenna this way and that. I could swear it was tuned already though, so I may or may not accomplish anything. I'm damn near within spitin' distance of the towers, so it doesn't make sense. I should be able to tune those channels with a COAT HANGER.

David
post #657 of 3098 Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 PM

I experienced no problems with the game OTA here in NE Wichita. Great game too with that game-winning field goal winning me some $$$ !!!

Vern
post #658 of 3098 Old 02-06-2004, 05:23 PM

I just had Cox install a HD box for me. (Of course my cable was promptly out of service for 2 hours.) After it came back on, I noticed that I'm not getting DD5.1 on SHOHD or KAKE10. Is anyone getting 5.1 surround from their Cox HD box? Or am I missing a setting on the Moto6200? Appreciate any info. Thanks.

Found the problem. Needed to change the audio output from pcm stream to dolby digital on the hdbox. I just had to poke around in the menus more to find it.

Vern
post #659 of 3098 Old 02-06-2004, 05:55 PM

As far as I can ascertain there are not too many offerings on ABC that are 5.1, and Showtime seems to be less than 50% of the time. HBO seems to be a little more frequent. The HDTVGalaxy website has a list of which programs are 5.1 on virtually all the HD channels.

eric
post #660 of 3098 Old 02-07-2004, 08:29 PM

New to the whole HD world, but had to heap my praise on the Silver Sensor antenna. I have mine zip tyed to a truss in my attic, aimed towards the NW< and I pick up everyhting EXCEPT digital 8.
I am at 159th East and Kellogg, and am using the Samsung SIR-T165 receiver. I am amazed by that little bugger, I so expected to be out putting a pole on the house.

Christian
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page