Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 3103 Old 02-12-2004, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by ckentling
New to the whole HD world, but had to heap my praise on the Silver Sensor antenna. I have mine zip tyed to a truss in my attic, aimed towards the NW< and I pick up everyhting EXCEPT digital 8.
I am at 159th East and Kellogg, and am using the Samsung SIR-T165 receiver. I am amazed by that little bugger, I so expected to be out putting a pole on the house.

Christian

Christian - I agree whole-heartedly. I live down in Mulvane on the north end. I had tried an amplified Jensen indoor antenna and could only get FOX, WB, and UPN (and it had to be sitting on top of my table near the window). I exchanged it for a Silver Sensor and got all the channels (even with it on the floor, in the corner, etc. etc.). That was upstairs - I moved it downstairs to my bigscreen and can get every channel except the two PBS stations with it just sitting on top of my TV (I do have to re-position it occasionally to get a lock on NBC but it's no big deal). The Silver Sensor is an amazing piece of engineering (and I'm an engineer). It was $10 cheaper than the Jensen and far outperforms it - I mean, seriously, the CBS tower is 48 miles away from my house and it locks on without a hitch in the basement with no windows and no positioning whatsoever. Truly an amazing antenna!!!!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3103 Old 02-15-2004, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anyone watching the pre-race for Daytona on NBC? I'm getting a lot of audio/video breakup. NBC normally has no problems, so I'm assuming it's either a local problem to Wichita or the NBC feed itself.

Dave G.
post #663 of 3103 Old 02-15-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by talon95
Is anyone watching the pre-race for Daytona on NBC? I'm getting a lot of audio/video breakup. NBC normally has no problems, so I'm assuming it's either a local problem to Wichita or the NBC feed itself.

Dave G.

Well I can't get anything above 13-14 on my signal for KSNW. I'm getting everything else in with no problems.
post #664 of 3103 Old 02-15-2004, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I think KSN is having problems. They've switched back to a 4x3 image right now.

Dave G.
post #665 of 3103 Old 02-22-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone watching the Nascar race on Fox? I'm getting some consistent breakup, mainly on the lower half of the screen. Signal is constant at 93.

Dave G.
post #666 of 3103 Old 03-01-2004, 08:55 AM

Dave-

I didn't hear any compaints that weekend from our operator, but they are watching several monitors at once. Let me know if you still have the problem. I was waiting to reply to see if anyone else would reply to your question.

Let me know if it happens again. Hopefully it won't, I'm working a lot of weekends on a personal project, but I'll try to catch a race and scrutinize it when I can.

jon
post #667 of 3103 Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jon. It appeared to be a similar problem to what we saw at the beginning of last year, but since no one else seems to have had a problem, maybe it's on my end. I'll give an update after the next race.

Dave G.
post #668 of 3103 Old 03-09-2004, 02:56 PM

We have a UPN digital transmitter problem that might not get resolved tonight, but we have parts on their way just in case.
We'll get it back on asap.

So if you don't see 36-1, that's why.

jon
post #669 of 3103 Old 03-09-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for keeping us posted. BTW, I had forgotten to report on the last Nascar race. I only saw the last 20 laps or so, but the picture/sound was perfect during that time.

Dave G.
post #670 of 3103 Old 03-15-2004, 02:44 PM

Hey, does anyone know why the NCAA games were not broadcast in HD on CBS over the weekend? Titan TV was showing HD for the CBS games, maybe this weekend they will be in HD...

Mark
post #671 of 3103 Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 AM

Here's the link on CBS HD coverage:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=372855

According to the link the games from KC this weekend will be in HD.

Vern
post #672 of 3103 Old 03-29-2004, 11:49 AM

Ok, we finally got an HD receiver. Where in Wichita is a good place to pick up an antenna? We are in Wellington, about 30 miles south. I hooked the receiver up to the existing antenna (old one on a 30' tower) and can't seem to get anything except WB and sometimes Fox. Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it? Thanks.

Tim
post #673 of 3103 Old 04-11-2004, 08:03 PM

Any news when Cocks will decide to provide the broadcast networks (except KAKE) in HD? Anyone figure out why this is the case?
post #674 of 3103 Old 04-12-2004, 04:11 PM

Anyone in Wellington getting OTA HD? I'm getting a Dish 811 in 2 weeks and was trying to find what kind of antenna combo anyone was using down here.......
post #675 of 3103 Old 04-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mkultra
Any news when Cox will decide to provide the broadcast networks (except KAKE) in HD? Anyone figure out why this is the case?

I don't think anyone knows for sure but if you follow the national issues I bet COX and the local affiliates can't come to terms about 'digital must carry rules' and any costs associated with such an agreement.

I personally hope that Cox isn't forced to carry every digital sub channel that each local station can/will provide. Channel 8 is the first example. I really don't want stations sucking away our 19.8 Mbs to provide 24 hour radar, news, and shopping channels. Many HD programs will suck if that happens.

I believe Cox is ready and willing to pass those signals along. If you look at the TiVo guide, it clearly shows were each HD station will wind up. Someone had to pass that info along to TiVo's guide service.

It would be interesting to hear from Jon at KSAS and see what their side of the story is... Jon? Can you give us any ideas on what the holdup is? Thanks.

I'm about ready to buy a 'low end' STB and get my local HD that way.
post #676 of 3103 Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 AM

You hit it on the nose, the major diagreement has to do with giving the stations the full 19Mb. Cox just wants the HD signals, to save bandwidth. There are other things in the future such as interactive TV, and other things that most stations would like to have the right to reserve the space for. Multicasting (such as KPTS is doing) can be done well also, depending on the content (sports vs talking heads) and equipment. Both sides have valid points.

All this aside, this battle is beyond our local stations, and is being negotiated by our corporate lawyers and Cox's corporate lawyers. I assume the same is being done at the other local stations, and will be resolved by the corporate groups one at a time. It's out of our hands here, as far as I understand.

That's all that I know, and I'm sure there is a lot more to the issue we don't know about. Just know that we share in your frustration. Our goal is to get as many eyeballs watching our stations as possible, and this situation doesn't help. I haven't heard anything in the past few months, I will check and see if there is any new information.
post #677 of 3103 Old 04-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update Jon. I can't wait to see FOX in HD this fall, even if I have to buy a STB to do it!
post #678 of 3103 Old 04-18-2004, 03:06 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

Rumors are circulating that Fox will be providing the MLB All Star Game in HD for the stations that have the HD gear installed. Any date on when KSAS will have the HD equipment installed and ready to go?

The Fox announcement that they will broadcast up to 6 NFL games a week in HD this year is also excellent news!

Vern
post #679 of 3103 Old 04-18-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Jon,
While you are here reading, do you know anyone at KTMJ in topeka? I cannot get anyone there to return calls or emails.

thanks!

PS If I could get your station, I would watch it over them!!
post #680 of 3103 Old 04-19-2004, 08:04 AM

vblyth-

I haven't seen a sheet on the game being offered in HD, there could have been one, and it didn't make it to my desk though. I'll check up on it.
Anyways, our new Sat dish is not completely finished because parts didn't arrive before the installation team moved on to other stations. So we will still need them to finish their work and provide us with the new receivers.
Originally they were going to come back during March, but that got delayed.

The HD switching equipment that will switch between our upconverted commercials and syndicated shows and Fox's HD is here and I will install it at the the same time Fox is finishing up. I will post on this forum when we will be switching to 720p so you guys will have a head's up.

Tim-
I don't know anybody, but my boss might, I'll see if I can get you a contact of some kind.

jon
post #681 of 3103 Old 04-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Appreciate the update Jon. Thanks!

Vern
post #682 of 3103 Old 04-21-2004, 11:49 AM

Looks like Fox has moved up the date for the 720p broadcasts starting with several key sporting events starting in July.

Here's a link if you haven't already heard :

http://broadcastengineering.com/ar/b...ffer/index.htm

We should be ready for them, and again I will post when we are switching formats.

jon
post #683 of 3103 Old 04-21-2004, 06:10 PM

Woohoo... more NASCAR in HD starting this summer! Thanks Jon. This makes me happy because I can pick up KSAS-HD OTA with no problems!
post #684 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 07:12 AM

I've been unable to get _any_ HD reception for a few months. I originally blamed it on the wind moving my antenna but I tried adjusting it to no avail.

I've always had spotty reception anyway and blamed it on power lines and a sub-station to the north and west of me (I live near 13th and Woodlawn in NE Wichita). I have a Radio Shack UHF/VHF chimney mounted antenna and a Samsung SIR-T151 tuner.

My questions:

1. Has anything changed in the last few months that would prevent me from getting any signal?

2. Would the power lines and sub-station prevent me from getting a signal?

3. How would I check to see if I just have a bad connection?

4. Should I go to HD cable? I can't find much info on Cox's web site about what local channels you can actually get in HD or what it actually costs.

5. Should I go to satellite? Some of the info I've seen on DirectTV inferred that they use an antenna to get local feeds. That wouldn't do me much good.

Thanks in advance,
Wolf
post #685 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scotwolf
I've been unable to get _any_ HD reception for a few months. I originally blamed it on the wind moving my antenna but I tried adjusting it to no avail.

I've always had spotty reception anyway and blamed it on power lines and a sub-station to the north and west of me (I live near 13th and Woodlawn in NE Wichita). I have a Radio Shack UHF/VHF chimney mounted antenna and a Samsung SIR-T151 tuner.

My questions:

1. Has anything changed in the last few months that would prevent me from getting any signal?

2. Would the power lines and sub-station prevent me from getting a signal?

3. How would I check to see if I just have a bad connection?

4. Should I go to HD cable? I can't find much info on Cox's web site about what local channels you can actually get in HD or what it actually costs.

5. Should I go to satellite? Some of the info I've seen on DirectTV inferred that they use an antenna to get local feeds. That wouldn't do me much good.

Thanks in advance,
Wolf

I would imagine you probably have a problem in the line somewhere if you readjusted the antenna. I would also check the tuner. Depending on where you live, you could get a short RG6 cable and hookup rabbit ears to see if the tuner works.

As far as Cox, all the local channels they have in Wichita is KAKE. The only have one in the Topeka market also.

Directv does use an antenna to do locals in HD, so the situation wouldn't change.
post #686 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 07:54 AM

Wolf,

Do you have any friends with an HD OTA receiver? If so, check their box at your house and see if it works... I would also recommend checking the cable for loose connectors at both ends. Best Buy has a fairly liberal return policy... I might suggest picking up a short RG6 cable from Best Buy along with a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. The SS is one of the best OTA antennas around in my opinion and should work well in your location. (I have a SS in my basement in Mulvane and get all the channels).
post #687 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the Silver Sensor when I first got my tuner (last fall). I couldn't get anything. I also tried a powered antenna from Radio Shack. The only thing I could get to work was the roof mounted antenna (and then I had to get it really high on the roof).

I've always blamed it on the power lines / substation?? I also have some tall trees in my yard.

I'll check my connections tonight.

Thanks again,
Wolf
post #688 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 10:22 AM

Wolf,

I'm at 21st North & Woodlawn. I have a SIR-T351 tuner in my basement with a 50ft RG6 cable connected to a Silver Sensor in my garage attic. I get all the local digital channels with no problems. Check those connections along with the cable. If still have no signal, there might be a problem with your box. You should be getting a signal from your location.

I also have Cox HD. The only local is KAKE and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. However if you are interested in HBOHD, SHOHD, and ESPNHD and not the locals, I have had no complaints with Cox HD (so far).

Vern
post #689 of 3103 Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I have heard rumors of Cox having Fox here in the Topeka market, but nobody from KTMJ Fox 43 in Topeka will call me back.

Did you guys hear about the deal Cox made with national PBS? I was told by the GM of the PBS in Topeka they should be on within a month on Cox.
post #690 of 3103 Old 05-09-2004, 07:28 PM

Does anyone experience intermintent audio droputs on COX HD? I was watching Harry Potter (edited from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 yuck) and had multiple droputs that lasted about a second or so. This might occur with the regular digital channels also but I can't recall.

Or anyone experience this OTA? My box is connected to a Denon 4802.

This is really annoying.....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page