Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 3103 Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

At 8:17pm Fox Widescreen disappeared and was replaced by 4:3 with grey bars and never returned. Why during 24? Why?

Vern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3103 Old 05-19-2004, 02:42 PM

I had to wait for the operator to come in and explain.
He had some problems with the 4x3 Fox Receiver and had to switch to the backup 4x3 receiver. Doing this disengages the automatic switch for the DTV stream and 16x9 receiver.
He should have manually switched it, but he was probably distracted by the problem. He would have to switch it for every commercial break there after also.

We'll probably have these kind of things until our stream is primarily digital/HD in house as opposed to analog with a digital sidecar.

It was an honest oversight, and we will keep a closer eye on it.

jon
post #693 of 3103 Old 05-19-2004, 04:53 PM

Thanks Jon... did the problem manifest itself on regular cable with some really bad "stutters" during American Idol and the first part of 24? I thought my TiVo's hard drive was having a problem until I ruled that out.
post #694 of 3103 Old 05-20-2004, 02:03 PM

Hippster - I assume that was the issue, I didn't take time to review the tape. We haven't had a problem since that I know of.

I switched us to 720p today, our new switching equipment is being installed. For the time being this is upconverted 720p, we are still receiving Fox at 480p and cranking it up.

We should be true 720p by the end of June.

Theoretically you shouldn't have to rescan the channels. My receivers (pro and consumer) locked on in a couple of seconds.

If you have any problems post them here so everyone can compare notes.

Thanks for your input
jon
post #695 of 3103 Old 05-20-2004, 09:47 PM

Great news on the 720P Jon! Sounds like the All-Star game in HD may be reality! Just checked and I'm getting your digital signal without rescanning for it. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Vern
post #696 of 3103 Old 05-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Audio during the nascar race cuts out frequently OTA. Impossible to watch. I had to switch to cable, and checked back during commercials. It has continued through the entire race.
post #697 of 3103 Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Anyone else confirm the audio problem during the race? I was out of town and the other engineers were unaware of a problem. That doesn't mean there wasn't a problem though.

I went over everything today, and it all checks out ok now.

Tonezone-
Was the problem only during the race? If you noticed the problem during an obviously local commercial, that would help my troubleshooting. But I don't expect you to remember that far back or pay that close of attention.

Let me know if you are still having problems, and I will also keep an ear on it.

Thanks
jon
post #698 of 3103 Old 06-10-2004, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it's not HD related, but can anyone in Wichita comment on the picture quality of the locals Directv started up today? If you have Directv, you should get a free 2 month preview of the locals.

tim
post #699 of 3103 Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 PM

Regarding the DirecTV locals, I can see a big difference in the picture quality, especially on my 55 inch HDTV. If you have the digital versions of the locals over the air, it is comparable to that quality.
post #700 of 3103 Old 06-11-2004, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chrisb25
Regarding the DirecTV locals, I can see a big difference in the picture quality, especially on my 55 inch HDTV. If you have the digital versions of the locals over the air, it is comparable to that quality.

Wow, that is saying alot. Don't ask, but we now have the KC locals and they look pretty good, expect for 2 channels, the WB and UPN affiliates. Maybe I need to "move" in with one of you all.

I am really concerned about what Directv will do or not do with markets like Topeka who do not have an WB or UPN affiliates.
post #701 of 3103 Old 06-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376
I know it's not HD related, but can anyone in Wichita comment on the picture quality of the locals Directv started up today? If you have Directv, you should get a free 2 month preview of the locals.

tim

I just checked mine. The D* locals are very close in quality to the OTA digital channels I receive with the TS-160. I would give the edge to all of the OTA channels that are upconverting to 1080i though, but it's not a huge difference. Of course that's only when the OTA channels are showing non-HD material.

Dave G.
post #702 of 3103 Old 06-14-2004, 07:24 PM

Got the call tonight. The Cox HD DVR boxes are available. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I got onto the waiting list on May 8th and was in the top 15. Here's the details I was able to get from the Cox rep who called.

The box is a Motorola DCT6412. The unit was announced in May.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/051304motorola/
http://www.twice.com/article/CA41472...=Breaking+News

Link to the user manual:
http://broadband.motorola.com/noflas...2659-001-a.pdf

Dual tuner, 120 GB Harddrive. However, the current software only
supports the single tuner. Software should be updated by late summer. The rep was not sure if the DVI/Firewire interface was activated with the current software. The box uses the Pioneer's Passport interface.

Vern
post #703 of 3103 Old 06-14-2004, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vblyth

Dual tuner, 120 GB Harddrive. However, the current software only
supports the single tuner. Software should be updated by late summer. The rep was not sure if the DVI/Firewire interface was activated with the current software. The box uses the Pioneer's Passport interface.

At least it's dual tuner capable. No way I would have given up the Directv tivo to go back to a single tuner. I may have to take a look when they get dual tuners going.

Let us know how you like it and if you have a camera, I would love screenshots.

tim
post #704 of 3103 Old 06-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vblyth
Got the call tonight. The Cox HD DVR boxes are available.

Got my call tonight... pick mine up tomorrow.

Until TiVo has a standalone HD recorder this one will have to do the job.
post #705 of 3103 Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hippster
Got my call tonight... pick mine up tomorrow.

Got mine hooked up tonight. Everything seems fine except I'm having trouble with the DVI connection. The unit sees the DVI and then keeps losing it. Be curious if you have the same problems, Hippster, if you use the DVI out.

Vern
post #706 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 07:52 AM

Please let us know what the DVI problem turns out to be.
Is the firewire enabled?
Did Cox supply the DVI cable?

eric
post #707 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 08:02 AM

How much are you paying monthly for the box? Also, do I understand correctly that this box provides an HD tuner and records in HD? Does it include OTA HD capability?
post #708 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much are you paying monthly for the box? Also, do I understand correctly that this box provides an HD tuner and records in HD? Does it include OTA HD capability?

Not to hone in, but I think the cost is $9.95 for the rental and $4.95 for the DVR function. It will NOT do OTA signals, just QAM cable signals and will record the cable HD channels, along with the SD cable channels.

tim
post #709 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 10:59 AM

I'd be interested in this...if Cox actually had all locals in HD! Don't feel like losing my OTA HD locals.
post #710 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd be interested in this...if Cox actually had all locals in HD! Don't feel like losing my OTA HD locals.

That's probably the most important factor for all of us. $15 a month is better than paying $1000 for a HD Tivo right now.
post #711 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Not to hone in, but I think the cost is $9.95 for the rental and $4.95 for the DVR function. It will NOT do OTA signals, just QAM cable signals and will record the cable HD channels, along with the SD cable channels.
tim

Tim is correct on the cost and on the OTA signals. I am going to use the DVR to mostly record HD movies. I can't think of too many times during the past TV season when I wanted to watch an OTA HD show and tape another.

The DVI was activated but I was getting a HDCP authorization error. I could set the menu for DVI and get the signal to my set (and it looked great!) but if I powered down the unit, the DVI signal would shut down. I know HDCP is supported by my Sammy DLP so I am assuming it may be a software issue. I will pursue this with Cox tonight. I was told that the DVI and Firewire were activated, but I don't know if the Firewire would have the same HDCP problem.

At $15/month, I have a breakeven point of 5.5 years based on a $1000 TIVO unit, plus you still have to pay TIVO's monthly fee on top of the hardware cost. If Cox comes out with new units (more tuners, larger hard drive, etc), I just swap out the box. Won't have that option if I own the hardware. I just have to get over paying Cox every month.

Vern
post #712 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 02:11 PM

Yes... but the box isn't a TiVo. Just got mine hooked up. While the picture quality is excellent, I find the recording features and capabilities to be very non-intuitive unlike a TiVo. It's better than not being able to record HD so for $15 a month I'll try it for a while.
post #713 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hippster
Yes... but the box isn't a TiVo. Just got mine hooked up. While the picture quality is excellent, I find the recording features and capabilities to be very non-intuitive unlike a TiVo. It's better than not being able to record HD so for $15 a month I'll try it for a while.

I should have stated differently.

Right now, I can do $15 a month. I however, cannot do $1000.

I would MUCH prefer the HD Tivo, but finances dictate otherwise.
post #714 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Right now, I can do $15 a month. I however, cannot do $1000. I would MUCH prefer the HD Tivo, but finances dictate otherwise.

I'm in the same boat.

The point I was attempting to make was that if you are used to a TiVo... this box will be a struggle.
post #715 of 3103 Old 06-16-2004, 06:15 PM

I have just installed the dvr-hd box replacing the old one. I too am having the DVI issue, the tech on the phone says its being worked on and they will let me know when there is a fix. If one of you figures it out, post please

eric
post #716 of 3103 Old 06-17-2004, 02:11 PM

After researching the DVI issue some of us are having in other areas of the forum, it appears that this is a known issue and that a quick fix is not on the horizon.

Other than the fact that I would sure like to use the box via DVI, it does function well through the component and the DVR functions reasonably well. Still happy I have it but they promised dvi was active and functioning.

eric
post #717 of 3103 Old 06-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
I switched us to 720p today, our new switching equipment is being installed. For the time being this is upconverted 720p, we are still receiving Fox at 480p and cranking it up.

We should be true 720p by the end of June.
jon

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

The end of June and the MLB AllStar game are fast approaching. How's the conversion to HD going? Any word from Fox if the AllStar game will be available in HD? ESPNHD is carrying the homerun contest in HD, so the equipment will be there.

Thanks

Vern
post #718 of 3103 Old 06-24-2004, 02:57 PM

Contractors for Fox will be here Monday to retune our dishes. I'll let you know at that point. There is nothing locally holding us up after the retune, it would only be something at the network that could keep it from happening.

I'll see if I can confirm the offering of the All Star game in HD.

I'll definitely post when it is all complete. Or if there is a holdup for some reason.

jon
post #719 of 3103 Old 06-24-2004, 05:58 PM

Appreciate the info once more, Jon. Even if Fox doesn't deliver the All Star game, at least it sounds like they will make up for it with the HD NFL coverage!

I have been enjoying this thread with a Magic 8 Ball speaking out on the Fox/All Star game issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&pagenumber=4

Vern
post #720 of 3103 Old 06-27-2004, 07:23 PM

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and have a few HD questions. I recently bought an Dish Net. 811 receiver and have had no problems with it. I receive Dish Network's HD package and am very pleased, with one exception. I should also mention that I have a HDTV Ready 47" Widescreen Samsung TV.

So here are my questions: ESPN HD is not even close to what I expected. Watching the College World Series today, the picture was better on standard ESPN (ch 140) than on ESPN HD (ch 9424). It's hard to describe, but the HD picture is fuzzy. Like looking out a screen door. The colors are crisp, but there are fuzzy lines through it. All the other HD channels are perfect. Is this a ESPN signal problem or is it something I need to change?

Regarding Local channels, I get all the locals OTA, and they come in clear. My question for these is: what programs should be in widescreen and what programs should have black/grey bars on the side? (For example, the evening local news has the black bars) And what is the reasoning for the black/grey bars?

I realize my questions are rather vauge, but any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page