Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3098 Old 06-27-2004, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, y'all. I'm new here as well. I have Voom with the OTA antenna. Now, antennaweb.org says I should be getting 7 digital stations.

WB, FOX ABC, NBC from Wichita & CBS, PBS, UPN from Hutch. What are these stations actually transmitting? Is it true HD or just 480p? Obviously, I know what's going on at FOX (thanks to Jon) but not the other stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3098 Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Should have posted earlier.

We have been taking our Fox Digital 24-1 off during the day for tower climbers who are working on an FM antenna close to our digital antenna.

It will be off for a little bit today also. But we should have it on by prime every day we take it off.

Still working on solid answer about Fox's coverage of All Star Game, our dishes are being tuned as I write (Fox is moving to different satellites).

mRoyal1 -

When you see grey side bars, you most likely are watching a locally upconverted signal (at least that is what we are doing on Fox). We use grey as opposed to black to help fight burn in especially on plasmas.
There's still argument out about what is best, but it's also an easy way to tell when we are in network.

jon
post #723 of 3098 Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 AM

No Fox HD until Sept 12th. That is the official word we were given today.

Testing will begin with our splicers in August. Thought it was odd, all of these rumors floating around without us going through a test period for our equipment.

The Fox engineering group is a very thorough operation.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's better to have an error free broadcast.

We are prepared at our local station for it, with all equipment installed and proper signal levels on our receivers. The decision when to switch to 720p is at the network.

jon
post #724 of 3098 Old 06-30-2004, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info Jon. I look forward to Fox HD this fall (football!!!).

Vern
post #725 of 3098 Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM

Hello all,
We just got a HD tv last week. We bought a TERK indoor antenna at Best Buy. It would not get KAKE, KWCH, and the PBS stations. I took it back and now have a Silver Sensor (read the good comments here) and get all channels but KAKE. I have the antenna sitting on top of the TV pointing West/North West. I live in Park City.
Is there something special with the KAKE signal? I noticed the towers of KAKE, KSAS, KWCV, and KSNW are close together, would this have anything to do with it?

Thanks
post #726 of 3098 Old 07-22-2004, 09:50 PM

Are you in a house or an apt? If you are in a house try extending it to the attic.

Adam
post #727 of 3098 Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 AM

I picked up a motorola 6412 yesterday at Cox, they have a special for $10.00 over my standard cable bill for 3 months, including HBO/MAX/SHOW for free those 3 months.

A couple of questions for those of you that have the Motorola box or Cox HD for a while, I can't seem to access the box settings it says to power the unit off and press "menu" on the box this brings up a screen that says "Press power to turn the unit on". Also not all of the HD channels were coming in so I had to call back after autoauthorizing the box, the tech said some of the codes had not been entered so he fixed them and re-authorized the box. He mentioned I shouldn't be getting Discovery HD but went ahead and added it for the trial period, is there now an extra charge for DISCHD? So if I get it correctly the HD tier (once my trial is over) would only be KAKE, ESPN HD, and INHD 1 & 2?

Both people I talked to last night one on the local number, and one on the national 800 number said that all the locals available in HD would be there by the end of the year. I'll believe it when I see it, if I still have the unit then....
post #728 of 3098 Old 08-03-2004, 10:12 AM

I also had problems at first accessing the settings on the 6412. You have to power the box off and hit the menu button on the box within 15 seconds for the menu to display. Also, the current software for these boxes has problems. Cox has said an update will be made in late summer to fix the problems and also add support for a second tuner. There is an additional $4.95 per month charge for DISCHD. KAKE is the only current local and I strongly doubt that this will change by the end of the year. If your current deal includes HBO/MAX/SHOW then you should also be getting HBOHD and SHOHD. STARZHD is also available.

Here is the link for the current Cox HD lineup:
http://www.cox.com/kansas/digitalcab...y=Wichita#HDTV

Vern
post #729 of 3098 Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM

Are any of you having on and off problems on the HD tier especially with INHD 2? Pixelization and signal errors to be specific.

Another inconvienance I have is that when I first power on I get a screen message that says the channel number and that this is a subscription channel. If I wait a few seconds it usually comes in but sometimes one has to change the channel and go back and voila.

P.S. 1
From a unnamed source in an unnamed very high place: don't hold your breath for a firmware upgrade for the 6412 until fall at best

P.S. 2

I also doubt that any locals will be added to the lineup anytime soon

eric
post #730 of 3098 Old 08-03-2004, 06:04 PM

dresf,

I am having the exact problems you are having with the pixelization on INHD (especially during the "In Theaters" show) and the screen messages that this is a subscription channel, switch channels and everything is fine. I had a Cox guy over and his response was it will be fixed with the software upgrade. Standard Cox HD-DVR answer for when you have no clue. I installed a signal amplifier, so I know that getting enough signal to the box is not the problem.

However, even with the bugs I am enjoying the HD-DVR and will be keeping it.

Vern
post #731 of 3098 Old 08-04-2004, 06:17 AM

I also had a signal amp put in a few weeks ago. And although it did not fix that problem it fixed some others and improved reception in other areas of the house. I forget the exact amount I paid them for it, but less than $70 for sure. After shopping for some on my own I determined that that was a good deal to have them do it, besides it makes it clear when there is a problem that it is with their equipment. I too am enjoying the dvr and you could not pry it from me. But I do look forward to the upgrades.

eric

eric
post #732 of 3098 Old 08-06-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376
That's probably the most important factor for all of us. $15 a month is better than paying $1000 for a HD Tivo right now.

I'm willing to argue that point. I got mine from Wholesale Connections for $849. My HD Tivo is an absoulute Gem....no, it's magnificient! Now that the wife can have Tivo with HD, our worlds are at peace once again! I consider that a small price to pay

Flyboy
post #733 of 3098 Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM

I suppose spending $850 doesn't seem too bad for some...until the hard drive bites it. At least with Cox, you just get a "new" box - and they will deliver it!
post #734 of 3098 Old 08-11-2004, 08:29 PM

Since this is the Wichita thread thought I would post about the new Samsung 531 box I purchased. I got it at a local best buy for $300. I bought a 50 dollar antennae from Don's TV. He apparently had tested several antennae models and this worked the best for HD signal. I live in Mulvane and put the antennae on my chminey and it isn't very big and ran Cox wire for 10cts a foot into my house, the parts total cost was around $120. I ran this to my STB which then runs to my Sammy dlp and I can't believe how much better the picture quality is over cox sd and HD. I pick up 3-1, 8-1, 8-2, 10, 12 (with 8 bars of reception), 24, and two other channels in the 30's. Reception is excellent and the box is not even warm to the touch as compared to last year's model 165. I can't wait till the Olympics start and getting some football games on HD besides ESPN and monday night football. I figured I was done waiting on Cox to get these channels on line plus its a real kick to get the OTA signals free and looking so much better than the cable HD signals. Apparently the OTA signals are 720p native from the 3 major networks and Fox is soon to come onboard. With Cox I am getting 1080i.
post #735 of 3098 Old 08-12-2004, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Jon,
I was curious if your station(s) were in talks with Cox about getting on the HD tier? I was told by a guy there in Wichita(with Cox) they were hoping to have Fox and PBS on by football season in the Topeka market, but was also curious about the Wichita market. I know you cannot go into details, but will Wichita see Fox football over Cox this season do you think?
post #736 of 3098 Old 08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crispo
Apparently the OTA signals are 720p native from the 3 major networks and Fox is soon to come onboard. With Cox I am getting 1080i.

Only ABC and soon to be FOX are 720P. NBC, ABC, and CBS are 1080I. Not sure on WB.
post #737 of 3098 Old 08-12-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to ask a favor if anyone in Wichita has Cox cable internet and a HDTV box or TV that does QAM. I'd like to know if the local channels are unencrypted so that those boxes could tune those channels.

thanks!
post #738 of 3098 Old 08-12-2004, 08:19 PM

I have cox internet, cable, and ota reciever. Not sure what you are asking. I get the local channels on the cox box but don't get channel 3,12, 24 on HD with cox box only OTA.
post #739 of 3098 Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Cox modulates their HDTV signals using QAM. Over the air they use 8VSB. I am wanting to see if a TV that I am looking at buying will pickup the local channels in HD over the Cox system without buying a box, as it has a built in 8VSB and QAM tuner.

Your receiver will have to do QAM. Most OTA boxes don't, however some do.
post #740 of 3098 Old 08-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Tim-

There will be talks going on, and they are trying to get things rolling. The goal being in time for NFL. Whether or not everything falls in place in time, I can't make any guarantees.

We want to be on, and it seems like they now want us on. (Now that Fox will be passing 720p)

When it is decided, and we get closer to having a date, I'll pass it on. I don't deal with these things until it gets technical. And no one looks at this information as secret, there are just a lot of things involved with getting it to happen.

It never hurts to call Cox and let your channel wishes be known, especially if you are a Cox power user. Just call their customer service and tell them you want Fox in HD.

Anyone else confirm Cox only spitting out 1080i? Especially on KAKE which is 720p ota? We would of course prefer our 720p stream being 720p on Cox. Crispo - Do you have your output locked to 1080i to match your display?

jon
post #741 of 3098 Old 08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC

Anyone else confirm Cox only spitting out 1080i? Especially on KAKE which is 720p ota? We would of course prefer our 720p stream being 720p on Cox. Crispo - Do you have your output locked to 1080i to match your display?

jon

I don't know what they are sending, but the box they use can be set to either 720P or 1080I. I have mine set to 720P to match my display.
post #742 of 3098 Old 08-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Forgot that consumer boxes lock the output and scan everything to it. One of our professional receivers switches the output to match the input, or it can be locked down.

From the legal speak I have read on the Cox agreement, sounds like it puts out what we put in. We'll find out more as we get closer.

jon
post #743 of 3098 Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgot that consumer boxes lock the output and scan everything to it. One of our professional receivers switches the output to match the input, or it can be locked down.

From the legal speak I have read on the Cox agreement, sounds like it puts out what we put in. We'll find out more as we get closer.

jon

As always, I am trying to read too much into a statement, but it sounds like you all have at least an agreement to put your station on their digital tier?
post #744 of 3098 Old 08-17-2004, 01:32 PM

Tim -

I was passed a small excerpt from a possible agreement for my opinion on something. I don't know where it is in being signed off, or how much time Cox will need to set up their technical side if it is signed off.

Everybody has the same goal (getting Fox HD on Cox), and they are trying to make it happen as soon as possible. Again, when the Cox engineers contact us about working on the fiber link we'll be closer to getting a launch date.

I might post when it is in the works technical wise, but as far as a date it will be available to viewers, Cox should be the contact. And it does a disservice to speculate, like the situation we went through with Fox's HD coverage of the All Star game.

While we are on the subject, would you get us up there?

jon
post #745 of 3098 Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim -

I was passed a small excerpt from a possible agreement for my opinion on something. I don't know where it is in being signed off, or how much time Cox will need to set up their technical side if it is signed off.

Everybody has the same goal (getting Fox HD on Cox), and they are trying to make it happen as soon as possible. Again, when the Cox engineers contact us about working on the fiber link we'll be closer to getting a launch date.

I might post when it is in the works technical wise, but as far as a date it will be available to viewers, Cox should be the contact. And it does a disservice to speculate, like the situation we went through with Fox's HD coverage of the All Star game.

While we are on the subject, would you get us up there?

jon

Like I said, I like to read too much into things

No, I would not get you up here, but I do occasionally pickup your analog 18 out of Salina. I know a guy by the interstate just south of Manhattan who receives your digital out of Salina. He is lucky.

I just have too much time on my hands, and if you guys sign a deal, that means they(Cox) are serious about trying to get Fox stations before football season, which bodes well for what I was told about wanting to do a deal with KTMJ in Topeka.

If I had my way, Cox would import your UPN station up here if they could. We have no WB or UPN affilates, so it would be nice to have that.

This is exactly why this is the place to go because of people like you who actually try to be helpful. Thanks!
post #746 of 3098 Old 08-17-2004, 05:10 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

Let us know when you send out the first HD signal so we can tune in. Is Sept 12 still the kick-off date?

Vern
post #747 of 3098 Old 08-18-2004, 01:39 PM

Sept 12th was last that I have heard. We have to go through a setup session with Fox (as every affiliate does) and after that we will be set.

If I hear, or anything is announced different I'll post it. I will be relying on multiple opinions from this forum to make sure everything is passed on ok, so it's to our advantage for the viewers to know what is going on.

With the splicer equipment, Fox's signal goes through almost untouched by us. What this will benefit, is when they put a DD5.1 feed out, it should pass through, even though we don't have DD5.1 encoding here. Our commercial breaks will be Dolby 2/0.

jon
post #748 of 3098 Old 08-18-2004, 05:05 PM

Here's a recent article posted on the Eagle website:

Posted on Fri, Aug. 13, 2004

Want HD Olympics? Not on Cox

BY BOB CURTRIGHT
The Wichita Eagle

NBC is offering 399 hours of high-definition coverage of the Summer Olympic Games from Athens beginning today.

But Wichitans with HDTV sets can't get it through Cox Communications, even though the company began offering HDTV service this year.

The reason is a financial dispute between Cox and the local NBC affiliate, KSN, Channel 3.

Simply put, Channel 3 wants Cox to pay for NBC's HDTV programs, and Cox has said no.

"We made a substantial investment in high definition, and we want to be compensated for it," Channel 3 general manager Shawn Oswald said.

"The reality of it is that Cox charges for high definition. It's a tier of their service, and one of the more expensive ones. If they make money off it, why shouldn't the people who made the investment?" Oswald said.

Cox spokesman Kristin Peck said negotiations for any compensation must be made at the corporate level between Cox and Channel 3's parent company, Emmis Communications.

"We would love to put NBC HDTV programming in our lineup, but they haven't given us permission," Peck said.

"At this point, we are not going to pay them," she said.

A similar situation exists with KWCH, Channel 12, whose HDTV programs also are not on Cox cable. Joan Barrett, Channel 12 general manager, said Cox and Media General, Channel 12's parent company, are in talks.

"It's my understanding that Media General is seeking a form of compensation, whether it's money or something else," Barrett said.

ABC affiliate KAKE, Channel 10, is the only local network affiliate that allows its HDTV signal to be carried on Cox -- on digital Channel 601. Terry Cole, Channel 10 general manager, declined to comment on the companies' compensation arrangement.

Cox and KAKE are partners in Kansas Now 22 (22 on cable), which is Channel 10's cable news outlet.

Even without cable HDTV, local viewers can see the Olympics in high definition, Oswald said.

KSN broadcasts the high-definition signal over the air, so viewers with an HDTV set can use an HDTV antenna, which costs between $100 and $300, Oswald said.

"We will help anybody who is interested. If they call the station, we will tell them where they can find the equipment and how to find the NBC HDTV Olympic signal," he said.

Vern
post #749 of 3098 Old 08-18-2004, 05:49 PM

Other than the box rental how is Cox making $ on the HD tier? At $400-500 retail at least for the current generation HD set top boxes how are they making $, with the investment they have in the STB's their ROI has to be at least a few years out, and by then the STB's are obsolete and they have a big capital investment again. Seems to me that from their end offering HD is merely staying competitive with the satellite providers and not a huge profit center. Although there may be some that have to upgrade to the digital package to recieve HD. I can't believe that there would be an overwhelming number in this boat because most who will shell out for an HD TV watch it enough that they want the many channels that the digital tier has. My .02.

But the whole enchilada of my arguement is that the way I understand things the HD locals channels are not figured into the Neilson ratings so the local networks wouldnt want us to have great access to them lest they get lower ratings. And less advertising $$. Can anybody else confirm that the Neilson ratings do not include the HD OTA signals?

And besides that the locals have to convert to HD no matter who pays for it. So cable customers are being asked to pay for it.
I can see Cox having to shell out some cash to the locals for any costs affliated with hardware that would need to be installed to have their signal carried by Cox, if there is any, I don't know. But that is it!
Personally I have given up on locals via cable and have OTA'd myself in addition to cable but it still gets my goat.

Their (the locals) arguement "does not hold water"

My Cousin Vinny

eric
post #750 of 3098 Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,
I am going to defend Cox on this one. They don't charge for local channels. Sure you have to have a box(I think), but if you do have the box, you do not have to pay for them. I don't even think you have to have anything above basic service.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page