Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3101 Old 10-04-2004, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A safety relay was locked down due to a receiver failure. Fox has given up on this idea, and had me disconnect the wire that throws the relay. The idea was if the receiver lost signal it would force the local upconvert on to keep a signal on the transmitter.

So it won't be thrown on accident again in theory.

Again I will try to make it easier for the operators to realize when there is a problem with the HD.
I am working on coming up with a way for viewers to sound an alarm per se. We don't have a news dept with someone staffed answering the phone, like the other stations do. We have to reserve our communications channels to the operators, otherwise they would be bombarded with calls keeping them from concentrating on the program on air, or from taking one of my dept's calls to help solve the problem.

sorry for the speed bump
jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3101 Old 10-04-2004, 07:22 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

The forum appreciates the quick and informative responses to our inquiries. We understand that there are growing pains with the new technology so we will be patient. Direct communication between the forum and engineering at the local channels in invaluable and a luxury. I'm looking forward to watching the Cardinals in the MLB playoffs, hopefully on FoxHD.

Thanks again for the great work.

Vern
post #813 of 3101 Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KS-Jayhawk
It must be nice to get all of those channels..I live off of 127th East behind the Lowes, and all I can receive is FOX, WB (sometimes), and ABC, no NBC, or CBS (which I would love to get for football) I'm waiting on Cox..I want the HD PVR, but not until they carry NBC, and CBS

What a coincidence, I live there too. Phase III. I was getting everything except PSB DT perfectly until about two weeks ago when I lost signal strenght on CBS. (that will be a another post) Look at the size of my antenna though.

Cheers,
Flyboy
post #814 of 3101 Old 10-07-2004, 07:52 AM

How funny, I live in phase 2, but my antenna is in the attic....
post #815 of 3101 Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM

Has anyone been catching LOST, the absolute best show on network TV? Well I've read in other threads about how great the 5.1 is and everyone's LFE's getting pushed to the limit and blah blah blah, but am I the only one feeling a bit underwhelmed and unimpressed? I'm thinking KAKE's decoders aren't working correctly because last nights broadcast started out in SD prologic which was loud, but once they switched to 5.1 HD I had to turn up my denon probably a full 10db. At almost full blast I've noticed very little surround activity and weak LFE. I noticed this on last seasons ALIAS also but had DVDs to compare, which were also weak in LFE and surrounds. So who do you guys think the culprit is; KAKE, Bad Robot (the production company of both shows) or my setup (using LG-3100 and the moto 6412 with a Denon 3801 and Paradigm studios)?

James
post #816 of 3101 Old 10-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yea, I've noticed that also. There's almost no LFE activity in the Lost episodes I've watched on KAKE. Does the 5.1 DD sound get re-encoded though? I would think that's a direct pass through, but maybe not. Nevertheless, I've been impressed with the PQ and sound. Every episode feels like you're watching a DVD movie, except with much better PQ.

The only complaint is the stooopid # of commercials. I don't think I could stand to watch it as it airs. Fortunately my HDTV Wonder is finally working properly so I can record it.

Dave G.
post #817 of 3101 Old 10-08-2004, 01:16 PM

Due to sun outages, around 1pm on Sunday we will switch to our upconverted feed on KSAS-DT. It is predicted to last no more than 10 minutes.

So if you're watching the game and see it switch you know it's on purpose this time.

Our analog feed will flip between receivers on 2 different birds and should not be interrupted. The HD feed is only available on one bird so it will go down during the outage. This is a nationwide thing, not just our station.

have a great weekend
jon
post #818 of 3101 Old 10-08-2004, 05:50 PM

As for KAKE, their 5.1 DD is the problem. The quality is poor and the volume level is way too low. Lost started out in SD, I finally called at 7:05 to tell them to get the HD turned on (Huh? What? HD? What's that?) and it took them to 7:12 until the HD/5.1DD finally came on. This is not the first time I have had to call and wake them up. I have sent emails to KAKE engineering and management about the levels and quality of the audio on the digital signal and have received absolutely no response. The audio problems exist for both the OTA and CoxHD signals. Thank goodness the PQ is excellent. KAKE is "only on your side" when it serves their side.

This is why Jon@KSAS/KSCC's timely and quality responses to us in this forum is so great. Take a look at his last post. A head's up on a future HD outage during Sunday football along with the reason why. It's like he trying to prevent posts on Sunday saying "What happen to the HD !?!"

Vern
post #819 of 3101 Old 10-08-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vblyth
As for KAKE, their 5.1 DD is the problem. The quality is poor and the volume level is way too low. Lost started out in SD, I finally called at 7:05 to tell them to get the HD turned on (Huh? What? HD? What's that?) and it took them to 7:12 until the HD/5.1DD finally came on. This is not the first time I have had to call and wake them up. I have sent emails to KAKE engineering and management about the levels and quality of the audio on the digital signal and have received absolutely no response. The audio problems exist for both the OTA and CoxHD signals. Thank goodness the PQ is excellent. KAKE is "only on your side" when it serves their side.

Yeah... I finally watched LOST last night via my COX DVR. I was extremely disappointed that it took them that long to switch back to the HD feed. I've noticed it numerous other times in the last week as well with other programs. WAKE UP KAKE!
post #820 of 3101 Old 10-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KS-Jayhawk
How funny, I live in phase 2, but my antenna is in the attic....

FYI,
I was just working on some reception issues when i realized that sites like antennaweb.org. don't give you the correct pointing solution. Their map data base doesn't have this area in it. You can drag the location out to where we are and get the a correct steer.
288.5 degrees in the average for all the major networks - except PBS.

I moved my antenna 10 degress and wow what a difference. Signal strenght on CBS went up 40 points!

Cheers,
Flyboy
post #821 of 3101 Old 10-09-2004, 11:21 AM

Is KSNW-DT off the air right now?
9 Oct A.M.

Flyboy
post #822 of 3101 Old 10-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

We guess it had to happen. The dreaded station bug on Fox. The location in the bottom right is great, but the bug is a little too bright and draws the eye. Make it a little more transparent and not so bright and all will be fine.

Vern
post #823 of 3101 Old 10-10-2004, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

We guess it had to happen. The dreaded station bug on Fox. The location in the bottom right is great, but the bug is a little too bright and draws the eye. Make it a little more transparent and not so bright and all will be fine.

Away for a while, and catching up in this forum.....Why did it have to happen? Why are ANY of the station Logo's on the screen?

???Flyboy???
post #824 of 3101 Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 AM

I had a chief engineer I worked for that set me straight when I didn't agree with programming choices. "We just make the waves modulate, we don't control what's on them, that's the other department's decision."

So with that, if you have complaints about our bug(s), which I know is always a hot topic, please email our promotions dept at :

foxfeedback@foxkansas.com

Or if you want to call our office and ask for the promotions manager or general manager, we're in the phone book. Politeness always goes much farther when proving your point if you do call.

We would have had the bug earlier, but our splicer had a problem with it, and Fox had to have the manufacturer work on it, they worked with me Friday right before prime.

I believe the intention was for it to be more transparent, but I'm not sure, so I will let the graphics dept see it as is, and make sure it's what they wanted. So no promises there.

One more thing, the HD bug is actually controlled by Fox, they gave all of the stations the option to replace their bug with our own localized bug. And I am having a little bit of a problem with it coming on and off as it should. I saw it stay up during some national commercials last night. I will be working on that part. When we upconvert we won't have it on, but we already have our regular bug on anyways!

jon
post #825 of 3101 Old 10-11-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

I agree. Both the the black and white areas of this bug are a concern due to burn-in.

While I'm on the topic of Fox's sports coverage, anybody else find the flaming graphic and sound effect on pitches during the baseball playoff games as irritating as I do? I have my own sound effect that follows it: "click" (as I switch to another channel).
post #826 of 3101 Old 10-11-2004, 03:31 PM

Our splicer was not responding to the transparency settings Fox had sent it. After a little bit of work on their end, it is now transparent, and at the level our graphics dept wants.

Hope it's a little better Vern!

jon
post #827 of 3101 Old 10-11-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
Our splicer was not responding to the transparency settings Fox had sent it. After a little bit of work on their end, it is now transparent, and at the level our graphics dept wants.

Hope it's a little better Vern!

jon

Looks fine Jon. Thanks once more for the quick response and solution.

Now if strings can be pulled to make sure Fox Kansas carries the St Louis game Wednesday night... (I already called programming and expressed my preference for which game to modulate over the waves. Go Cardinals!)

Vern
post #828 of 3101 Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM

Hey, did anyone else have issues with the MNF game OTA last night. Mine was horrible. Came over crystal clear on cable 601 though. Trying to figure out if this was common or if I need to play with the antenna. Never had a problem before though with any of the channels before. Hmm. Wx didnt seem that bad to be a factor?

eric
post #829 of 3101 Old 10-12-2004, 06:26 PM

Good to see that your projector is up and running Eric! Long time, no HD.

I checked in on MNF OTA a few times last night and didn't notice any problems (except for the Green Bay defense). I spent most of the night watching Fox OTA and there were no problems with that signal, so that may rule out weather.

FoxHD OTA looks great tonight with the first HD baseball game for Fox. Just hope we get to see the Cardinals tomorrow night in HD!

Vern
post #830 of 3101 Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 PM

Thanks! So what gives? I live near 29th and Ridge Rd and always receive awesome HD OTA signals and I can't find anyone who had issues last night. For my location KAKE ought to be the best shouldnt it? Can it be too strong?

BTW, Green Bay ruined my week and blew up my tiebreaker right in my face. Kerplow!

eric
post #831 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Jon @ KSAS,

Who's decision was it to air the St Louis/Houston game on fox (meaning no HD for the best rivalry in sports: Red sox Yankees)

I know we are geographically closer to St Louis but that is ridiculous....WHY??

I'm sure 99% of the country got the Red Sox/Yankees game on network fox (hd) so why not us?

BAD DECISION
post #832 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 PM

I live @ Central and Greenwich and was trying to pick up the OTA HD channels. I tried the Silver Sensor and was able to recieve all channels except CBS, ABC, and PBS. I also tried a Winegaurd Sensar, but still could not pick up CBS, ABC, or PBS. I picked up a 4bay bowtie UHF antenna from Don's TV, and now I get all OTA HD stations (inlcuding both PBS). I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but this antenna worked for me. I have it mounted in the attic.
post #833 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 12:55 PM

For thoe who are having reception issues I have had very good luck with the Winegard Powered Antenna. Advanced Audio is selling them. I was able to get all HD programming 1 mile north of Belle Plaine with one. I have helped several friends set up their HDTVs and this has solved their reception issues. Just FYI

jb
post #834 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lakaw
I live @ Central and Greenwich and was trying to pick up the OTA HD channels. I tried the Silver Sensor and was able to recieve all channels except CBS, ABC, and PBS.

Really? I live in Preston Trails (also at Central/Greenwich) and get FOX/UPN/WB/ABC OTA with a Silver Sensor. I can pickup CBS if I take the antenna outside and put it on the top landing of a ladder. I can't get NBC at all.

I may need to try that antenna you mentioned - I did prewire for one up in the attic.
post #835 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mkultra
Jon @ KSAS,

Who's decision was it to air the St Louis/Houston game on fox (meaning no HD for the best rivalry in sports: Red sox Yankees)

I know we are geographically closer to St Louis but that is ridiculous....WHY??

I'm sure 99% of the country got the Red Sox/Yankees game on network fox (hd) so why not us?

BAD DECISION

I talked to Fox programming earlier this week about which game they were going to broadcast on FoxHD Wed night. They said it was purely a network decision on which HD feed they would get and the local affiliates had no input on the decison. Of course having grown up in St. Louis and being a Cards fan forever, the game shown was the correct choice.

To consider it ridiculous to broadcast a game based on geographic considerations makes no sense at all and is a BAD CONCLUSION on your part.

Vern
post #836 of 3101 Old 10-14-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I talked to Fox programming earlier this week about which game they were going to broadcast on FoxHD Wed night. They said it was purely a network decision on which HD feed they would get and the local affiliates had no input on the decison. Of course having grown up in St. Louis and being a Cards fan forever, the game shown was the correct choice.

To consider it ridiculous to broadcast a game based on geographic considerations makes no sense at all and is a BAD CONCLUSION on your part.

Agreed. It just makes sense to broadcast that game. We are directly in between St. Louis and Houston. I am just glad Fox gave us with cable or satellite the option of watching the other game on FSN.
post #837 of 3101 Old 10-15-2004, 12:14 PM

Given the history of the rivalry between Yanks and Red Sox it was not the correct choice period.

How many people TRULY would rather watch the Cards Astros game who don't live in that market?

The Red Sox Yankees game is the cadillac of baseball games....makes no sense to me but some people are hung up on geography and can't see the big picture oh well
post #838 of 3101 Old 10-15-2004, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkultra
Given the history of the rivalry between Yanks and Red Sox it was not the correct choice period.

How many people TRULY would rather watch the Cards Astros game who don't live in that market?

The Red Sox Yankees game is the cadillac of baseball games....makes no sense to me but some people are hung up on geography and can't see the big picture oh well

I would imagine Cardinal and Astro fans outnumber Yankee and Red Sox fans in this area. Plus, they might have a legal obligation to MLB to show games for the teams from our region.

I watched both, but for those without access to FSN, I can see how it would be frustrating.
post #839 of 3101 Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hippster
Really? I live in Preston Trails (also at Central/Greenwich) and get FOX/UPN/WB/ABC OTA with a Silver Sensor. I can pickup CBS if I take the antenna outside and put it on the top landing of a ladder. I can't get NBC at all.

I may need to try that antenna you mentioned - I did prewire for one up in the attic.

Hippster,
I just recently moved into 3rd phase. I tried putting the SS up in the attic and still could not get ABC, CBS. The people I've talked to about OTA reception all say it's all about your location. The antenna that works for me might not work for my neighbor.

Don's was going to accept a return if it didn't work. Give it a shot!
post #840 of 3101 Old 10-15-2004, 03:53 PM

From our programming dept :

On rare opportunities we can pick teams to air, but Fox always has the final decision. This is based on them promising a certain number of viewers to the advertisers for particular games. Since we don't have a home team, we sometimes end up being a somewhat "quota filler". The same thing happens with NFL on occasion.

Usually the games our programming dept get to choose the teams for are early season, or games that don't cause anyone to be upset.

This was a network decision. Hopefully everybody will like future decisions better.

Feel free to go to our website at www.foxkansas.com and send our programming comments or game selection requests.

jon
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page