Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3103 Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently got the HD DVR from cox also -- and I love it...

But I too am frustrated by the lack of NBC and CBS...

Does anyone have any new pertinent information on when COX will be adding either of those HD channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3103 Old 01-12-2005, 02:18 PM

There was a brief snippet in the paper this morning in bob curtrights column, in a question and answer format. Same ole crapola... it's being handled at the corporate level and its a money issue blah, blah blah.
I will refer you to a post I made a few months ago in this thread for my lucid and incredibly intelligent response and retort.
The long and short of it is... don't hold your breath for cbs and nbc. And go out and buy a ota tuner and antenna to supplement your cable offerings.

eric
post #903 of 3103 Old 01-12-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by doodah
Greetings,

I live at about 21st and Maize Rd, Wichita.

I have a Sony projection hd ready tv and would like to get an hd signal. I currently have analog Cox Cable into the tv. We get some 70 channels and have hbo, and would want to keep at least comparable service. Is it better to buy a STB like the LG LST-4200A and add an antenna, or subscribe to the upgraded Cox service? Or, subscribe to satellite? Does Cox have to carry and offer the local channel hd signal for free over it's lines? There may be a FAQ for this sort of question, but I didn't find it.

Thanks for any helpful remarks.

Carl

Carl,

My sister used to refer to Wichita as "doodah". Still does really, just not in Wichita anymore.

I looked at Cox for their HD package. Times may have changed, but back then the pricing structure was pretty punitive. You paid for the HD teir, but then need to pay extra for Discovery HD or some other channels. Plus, they only had two of the networks. I don't know about now, but from the jist of the posting, I'd guess "about the same."

I have Voom. The VaVaVoom package has HBO and also their HD HBO. The basic package has 37 HD channels, plus most standard def channels that Cox has and then some. Installation includes an OTA antenna. The sat box also does the OTA channels, so only one new piece of gear for your equipment rack. You should have no problems getting the OTA where you live. On the east side, I rarely have problems.

I haven't experienced any rainfade or other problems, even during the ice storm last week. Really

Check there website for the channel lineup and the current deals.

Downside.

The box has some flakeyness. I think recent software patches have fixed this.
Installation is a trial. They have weeded out some installers, but it was an adventure for me.
No DVR, but they are promising March. Just don't hold your breath.
You need a Southeast exposure.
Questions about the future prospects of Voom ie going out of business.
post #904 of 3103 Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 AM

Is anyone else having major problems with scheduled recordings on the COX HD-DVR?

Things will fail to record but show in the LIST as having recorded from 6:59pm-6:59pm when it should have recorded from 7:00-8:00pm. I have dumped all scheduled recordings as a result and now set everything manually.

Manually settings a recording works fine until the networks change their schedule after the recording is set. For instance Wed. night ABC changed LOST from ending at 8:01pm to 8:03pm after I had set things. This caused Alias to shift as well. I had scheduled both so I thought logically it wouldn't be a problem. WRONG! Both shows said they wouldn't record because they "overlapped" or something. I had to delete both recordings out before readding them.

I WANT A HD TIVO!!!!!!
post #905 of 3103 Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Hipp:

Yes that is a common bug that many are having. Fortunately I was home and watching when I lost "Lost", and set it to manually record. Alias came out fine though. Is it a conspiracy in the networks to foil the dvr's?

See the "Motorola 6412 with Passport and Cox" in the HD Recorders section. It's stickied as one of the top few posts.

eric
post #906 of 3103 Old 01-13-2005, 09:10 PM

I ordered the LST-4200 and a Zenith Silver Sensor today. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work as "advertised" .....

Carl
post #907 of 3103 Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 PM

Good News!

Effective Feb 15, DiscoveryHD will be moved to Cox's "Free HD Tier" along with ESPNHD, iNHD1 and iNHD2. I have found myself watching this channel quite often. One of the best HD channels IMHO.

Vern
post #908 of 3103 Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM

Not exactly HD in nature but I'll ask anyway since its Wichita specific:

Anyone know why 3 digital channels on COX are not working? The ones for sure I know are not working are Game Show Network and ESPN Classic. The other channel not working is right around there...I want to say TRIO but that's not it.

It just brings up a white screen saying check back later...temporarily off the air.

I can understand this happening for a day or two but it has definately been longer than that

Thanks
post #909 of 3103 Old 01-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mkultra
Not exactly HD in nature but I'll ask anyway since its Wichita specific:

Anyone know why 3 digital channels on COX are not working? The ones for sure I know are not working are Game Show Network and ESPN Classic. The other channel not working is right around there...I want to say TRIO but that's not it.

It just brings up a white screen saying check back later...temporarily off the air.

I can understand this happening for a day or two but it has definately been longer than that

Thanks

I subscribe to the "Sports and Information Tier" so I checked ESPN Classic (Channel 246) and everything is fine. I checked Gameshow Network (Channel 227) and it says I need to subscribe (Variety Tier).

Vern
post #910 of 3103 Old 01-22-2005, 08:36 AM

Did anyone else's Cox DVR (Motorola 6412) not record LOST on Wed night? I have it as one of my scheduled season recordings, all new episodes, save until room is needed. But, when I checked Thursday morning it hadn't recorded. Sometimes I will get the 1 min recordings on shows where it will show up in my list like MOVIE TITLE CH.610 7:00pm ~ 7:01pm and it didn't record the show, but this time there was nothing in my recorded list at all.
post #911 of 3103 Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Edison:

Scroll up 6 posts

eric
post #912 of 3103 Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 AM

Great...the KU game on sat will be on espn2hd....anyone get that one?
post #913 of 3103 Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM

I live in SE Wichita, and was wondering if anyone has an Avia disc they would like to rent out or sell used? I really don't see the price justification in buying it for $35 for one use or so.

Another question for local Wichita residents. My analog cable from Cox is highly snowy/staticy (ironic, it is snowing right now) all the time, does Cox's digital cable and HD DVR fix this? Watching static tv on my 61" DLP is just saddening...
post #914 of 3103 Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mkultra
Great...the KU game on sat will be on espn2hd....anyone get that one?

Adelphia Cable in Connecticut is the only source for ESPN2HD as of now.

Vern
post #915 of 3103 Old 01-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by PlainShane
I live in SE Wichita, and was wondering if anyone has an Avia disc they would like to rent out or sell used? I really don't see the price justification in buying it for $35 for one use or so.

Another question for local Wichita residents. My analog cable from Cox is highly snowy/staticy (ironic, it is snowing right now) all the time, does Cox's digital cable and HD DVR fix this? Watching static tv on my 61" DLP is just saddening...

Well, the digital cable channels will have better PQ, but the base channels (2-99) will still be analog and look like crap. The only way to get better PQ on those channels is to keep bothering Cox's repair people until it is fixed. It should not be snowy.

Dave G.
post #916 of 3103 Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PlainShane

The analog cable didn't look very good on my 61" DLP either because I had split the incoming cable signal too many times. Cox installed a signal amplifier and it is much much better. Worth the $49.99 one time charge and the amplifier is yours to keep. Give it a shot.

Vern
post #917 of 3103 Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 PM

Thankyou, I will try that as soon as I get some more funds. I just spent $1200 tonight at Ultimate Electronics, haha. Got the Samsung 30" TXP3075WH and the Samsung HD-841 dvd player. They were great about matching online prices! This now completes my Samsung library: 61" DLP in the den, 30" Direct view HDtv Tube in the bedroom, and a 15" LCD in the kitchen.
post #918 of 3103 Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 PM

If you are having trouble receiving Fox or UPN DTV, have your receiver rescan the channels.

I installed a new PSIP generator at the end of last week, and it went nuts on me, so I had to go back to the old one. This switch may have confused your receiver. It confused one of mine, but the other survived, so it will be a hit or miss on whether your rx noticed.

Post on this forum if you still have problems after a rescan, and I'll periodically check this thread over the weekend just in case.

jon
post #919 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 09:08 AM

Tim and other Salina area viewers -

This is a little premature, but we want to get a warning to anyone in Salina who wants to receive the Superbowl in HD.

Cox has been working hard to get us up there on their system, and it looks like it will happen sometime this week. We will be on channel 604 just like in Wichita. You will need an HD box from them, and whatever service arrangement that would be appropriate. I do not have a solid date, and cannot guarantee the CSR will know about this yet. But if you have been on the fence, this might push you over the edge. Cox should be publicizing this soon. Cox will be the only cable system that will have it.

Over the Air -
We have also been working hard with our contractor to get the HD feed up to Salina. And it looks very promising. There is one catch, it will show up as 24-1 not 18-1 once we put it on, so a rescan of the channels will be necessary. This is because it will be identical to the Wichita feed directly out of our splicer. (and yes it is legal for us to be on 24-1 up there).

Now - there are no guarantees, and a lot of people are working hard to make it happen. But if we do get this all completed and no one found out until Sunday, all the work would be for nothing.

I will be in Salina on Friday checking the signal and stream for problems. If it's good, I will put it on. If you are currently receiving 18-1 up there, and it goes away, rescan. You should find 24-1. I will probably post here with status on Friday anyways.

Any questions, post here or email me directly joncyphers@clearchannel.com

Thanks !

PS - I did hear from a few viewers that had to rescan due to our PSIP problem in my previous post. I will not be working on that system again until after Superbowl.
post #920 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I am assuming this is just for Salina? Sometimes living in the Topeka DMA is depressing...
post #921 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Tim -

I thought you could get us off-air ? I knew you were closer to Topeka, but I have had people calling me from the Topeka area that could get 18 because they were having problems with a digital 18 in KC interfering. Our digital in Salina is on 17 but should have the same footprint as 18. Which does include Junction City and barely makes it to Manhattan.

But you would need a high antenna.

I'm not certain, but I don't believe Topeka will be included in the Cox feed because of DMA lines. Is the Fox in Topeka digital yet? Or do you get Fox4 from KC on Cox? I would think they would be on HD cable.

Sorry, I thought you had received us OTA before.

jon
post #922 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Wichita,

Im from the Omaha NE thread. Looks like we have the same problem. Emmis owns one of your stations in the area and they will not let them put there HD Channel on Cable as they want Money for a Free over the air channel.

Please help and Email Emmis and let them know what you think.

===============Pasted from the thread==============

Looks like over in the Omaha-Lincoln Ne Thread the Cox Cable Emmis issue is still alive.

Emmis pulled there CBS HD from Cox cable one year again demanding money for the free over the air channel.

Here is the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...&pagenumber=130

Here is some info on who to Email- pated from the thread

Here are the EMAIL Addresses for the Top VPs at Emmis Corp (the ones who own KM3 and the ones who made them pull the HD).

Cut and Past Comma delimited:

rmena@emmis.com,desayian@emmis.com,kate@emmis.com,staffingdepartment@emmis. com,ir@emmis.com,wzberger@emmis.com,rcummings@emmis.com

(below is a line by line list)

Please Email them weekly and ask for the free HD channel to be put back on.

KM3 and Emmis one year ago said they pulled there HD Feed because cox was charging for it and making money on it.

Things have changed in the last year.

Now all cable systems in a Emmis area offer the Local HD channels FREE unscrambled via free QAM channels.

This means the Emmis reasoning is no longer valid. They have no reason to demand money for a FREE OVER THE AIR HD Signal.

After all the Government, our tax money gave them the channel. We should be able to watch it free over the air and free on cable.

It is time for Emmis to add KM3 HD back to Cox.

rmena@emmis.com
desayian@emmis.com
kate@emmis.com
staffingdepartment@emmis.com
ir@emmis.com
wzberger@emmis.com
rcummings@emmis.com
post #923 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info Scott!

Here is my letter to Emmis:

Dear Emmis Communications:

I am writing to you from Wichita, Kansas where I am a Cox Cable subscriber. For the past year or so your local GM (Mr. Oswald) has been saying in press releases and the local paper that KSNW does not allow Cox to broadcast the KSNW HD feed because they do not see reason for the cable company to make money when the local affiliate has to bear all the charges of the analog to HD conversion. This is the most ridiculous arguement.

The locals have to convert anyway. But, the cable company simply cannot be making any money of HD offerings. The cable company has a huge investment in HD boxes that wholesale for between $400-700 and their monthly rental fees are in the ballpark of $10. Current technology advances render these boxes obsolete well before the breakeven point of the cable company. Wake up Emmis you are losing viewers. Stop being short sighted. When push comes to shove and there are two or more shows available, guess which one I am going to tune to, the one in standard def. or the HD?

sincerely,

eric
post #924 of 3103 Old 02-01-2005, 04:16 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 1, 2005

Salina Cox customers can watch the Super Bowl in High Definition

Wichita, Kan. - Cox Communications recently launched High Definition Television service in Salina, with the addition of Fox Kansas HD (KSAS) to channel 604 on its digital lineup. The addition of Fox Kansas HD will take place just in time for Super Bowl Sunday, bringing die-hard football fans a whole new level of digital television entertainment. High Definition service from Cox provides a picture that is six times sharper, with twice the color resolution as compared to traditional analog television viewing.

High Definition service is Cox's latest way to offer our customers the newest and best in home entertainment services, said Kimberly Edmunds, region vice president and general manager of Cox Communications. Cox's new High Definition service delivers an enhanced home theater experience that is second to none.

According to Kent Cornish, Vice President/General Manager of Fox Kansas, The Super Bowl is just one of many programs available in high definition. Our viewers are able to watch most of their favorite prime time programs as well as the NASCAR races, Major League Baseball, and the entire NFL season in HD, said Cornish. I'm pleased we're the first local television station to be on Cox Cable in Salina.

In order for customers to enjoy true HD television, they must have an HD-Capable' television set and an HD receiver from Cox Communications. The lease price for an HD receiver is only $9.95/month. Customers already receiving digital tiers from Cox Communications will have no additional cost for the Fox HD channel in high definition. Satellite customers must purchase multiple dishes, or a larger elliptical dish in order to receive high definition programming. With Cox, the high quality digital signal is piped conveniently and unobtrusively into homes.
post #925 of 3103 Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Salina over the air will be SD for the Superbowl. Available on 18-1.

Our contractor has been working non-stop trying to get the new codecs to work on the microwave. And while they will eventually be installed, hopefully next week, it won't be in time for SB on Sunday.

It is available on Cox HD 604 (Wichita and Salina) as I stated earlier.

The only other way to get the SB in HD will be our KSAS-DT transmitter 24-1 in the Wichita/Hutch area.

I'm sorry I flooded this thread with posts, but it has become a convenient way to reach viewers.

Thanks
jon
post #926 of 3103 Old 02-03-2005, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 1, 2005

Salina Cox customers can watch the Super Bowl in High Definition

In order for customers to enjoy true HD television, they must have an HD-Capable' television set and an HD receiver from Cox Communications. The lease price for an HD receiver is only $9.95/month. Customers already receiving digital tiers from Cox Communications will have no additional cost for the Fox HD channel in high definition. Satellite customers must purchase multiple dishes, or a larger elliptical dish in order to receive high definition programming. With Cox, the high quality digital signal is piped conveniently and unobtrusively into homes.

Also remember that in most cases, Cox will put the networks out in unencrypted QAM so if you have a built in tuner that will do QAM or a STB that does QAM, you should not have to rent a box, or even have digital cable, from Cox.
post #927 of 3103 Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC
Salina over the air will be SD for the Superbowl. Available on 18-1.

Our contractor has been working non-stop trying to get the new codecs to work on the microwave. And while they will eventually be installed, hopefully next week, it won't be in time for SB on Sunday.

It is available on Cox HD 604 (Wichita and Salina) as I stated earlier.

The only other way to get the SB in HD will be our KSAS-DT transmitter 24-1 in the Wichita/Hutch area.

I'm sorry I flooded this thread with posts, but it has become a convenient way to reach viewers.

Thanks
jon

Absolutely no appologies necessary. I only wish we could get this kind of support from all the local stations.

Thanks for your efforts,
Dave G.
post #928 of 3103 Old 02-03-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by talon95
Absolutely no appologies necessary. I only wish we could get this kind of support from all the local stations.

Thanks for your efforts,
Dave G.

I agree completely. Thanks for the great info, Jon.

Vern
post #929 of 3103 Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 PM

I also would like to thank you for the great information on HDTV in Salina.
Wayne
post #930 of 3103 Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM

As of now we have switched our Salina DTV transmitter to our HD splicer feed. It's the same feed no matter how you get it in KS. HD 720p/5.1/PSIP programming guides.

Any viewers in the Salina area will need to rescan to find the signal (which should show up at 24-1).

This is somewhat of a trial period, so we might have some problems. I would appreciate emails from this area if you do have problems. We have an engineer in Salina with a receiver, monitoring the signal also.

I will probably head up there later this week to analyze the signal, and fix any known problems at that point.

Sorry it's late (the contractor actually got in replacement codecs yesterday),

jon
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page