Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3103 Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dale-
I'm in the exact same situation... I live on the NE side of town, about 15 miles from the Colwich towers. I can pick up KSN and KSAS without much effort, but WB and ABC are a completely different story. KAKE and KWCV come in fine on the analog channels, but I get nothing from the DT broadcasts. My channel scan won't even recognize them.

I've tried 3 different antennas now and nothing seems to change even with an attenuator or amplifier. My silver sensor actually gets me the worst results as I can only pick up one channel at a time, no matter how I have it pointed. I live in an apartment complex (with buildings and lots of trees in the way of the signal) and my best results seem to be with my multidirectional UHF loop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3103 Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 PM

rboehner-
Thanks for the report. It's really a shame the stations don't run enough power to do the job. The 8 Bay antenna I use here is a fringe area antenna and it's 20 feet off the ground. Really disappointing. I think part of my trouble is the poor quality of the ATSC chip in the Dish Network DVR 921 HD receiver as I can receive KAKE and WB on the Zenith receiver. I just hate to have to switch the antenna and the component input to the monitor every time I want to watch ABC or WB.

Dale
------------------------------------
K0HYD Amateur Packet RadioGoddard, KS
post #993 of 3103 Old 05-23-2005, 09:07 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

I've noticed lately that the Fox Kansas bug on the HD broadcasts is once again very bright. I really like the transparent bug you had been using. Any reason for the change back?

Thanks.

Quote from 10/11/2004:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC View Post

Our splicer was not responding to the transparency settings Fox had sent it. After a little bit of work on their end, it is now transparent, and at the level our graphics dept wants.

Hope it's a little better Vern!

jon

Vern
post #994 of 3103 Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 AM

Vern-

I noticed this the second it happened, but I forgot to call in to Fox to have them adjust it. I see it at home, then forget by the time I get in the office the next morning. This sweeps has been busy, don't ask me how equipment knows when we're in ratings...

The splicer forgot it's setting, I'll call them today, once they wakeup.

Thanks for the reminder
jon
post #995 of 3103 Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Jon@KSAS/KSCC,

Bug looks alot better tonight. Thanks for the quick response as always.

Vern
post #996 of 3103 Old 05-27-2005, 04:33 PM

I live in Augusta. What are the options for cable, satellite, and (if neccesary) OTA in order to see the Chiefs this season in HD?
post #997 of 3103 Old 05-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Today's MLB game isn't in HD up here in Salina on OTA Fox. Anyone know if Fox is not showing this game in HD? Is it SD or HD in Wichita? Last weeks game was in HD up here.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #998 of 3103 Old 05-28-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
They are not doing the Saturday game in HD. I think i read last weeks game was in widescreen, but definately not HD.
post #999 of 3103 Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 AM

Hello,

I recently got my HDTV setup going. I have had no trouble with any of the local stations, EXCEPT KWCV (WB). I can get video just fine, but there is no audio. So far, I have mostly been attempting to tune in the 10:30PM showing of M*A*S*H, but I've seen the same problem on other shows from KWCV as well (Cheers, I believe).

Has anyone else experienced audio trouble with KWCV? I've looked and can't find anything in my own configuration.

I'm using a pcHDTV 3000 tuner/capture card with MythTV 0.18.1. It is working very nicely for everything else.

Thanks!
post #1000 of 3103 Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM

I'm back in the process of changing out our HD Encoder on KSAS. Right now our loaner is giving me problems with the EPG (program info), I'll continue working on that. For now though, it is unavailable.

If anyone has problems with us let me know. There will be more changes when I get our unit back from the factory in a week or so. We purposely delayed this away from sweeps/season finales. When I change things I will try to avoid big HD programming such as races, in case there is a problem.

thanks
jon

BTW jeff - titantv.com is a great resource for checking when shows will be HD or not. I did check it with a Salina zip, and it doesn't show 18.1 as HD, I'll have our programming people change that. You could use 67203 to see our list for now.
post #1001 of 3103 Old 06-09-2005, 07:21 PM

I had been getting the KAKE-DT signal really well (I'm at 49th and Oliver), but just tonight I can't get it. Anyone know of any problems? The basketball game looks like poo in SD.
post #1002 of 3103 Old 06-10-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoerzen View Post

Hello,

I recently got my HDTV setup going. I have had no trouble with any of the local stations, EXCEPT KWCV (WB). I can get video just fine, but there is no audio. So far, I have mostly been attempting to tune in the 10:30PM showing of M*A*S*H, but I've seen the same problem on other shows from KWCV as well (Cheers, I believe).

Has anyone else experienced audio trouble with KWCV? I've looked and can't find anything in my own configuration.

I'm using a pcHDTV 3000 tuner/capture card with MythTV 0.18.1. It is working very nicely for everything else.

Thanks!

I was just going to post my setup info for making KWCV work, and then discovered I have no sound either with my HD3000 and MythTV. However, checking my TV's builtin HD tuner, the channel has sound just fine. Time to verify the channel data in Myth.
post #1003 of 3103 Old 06-10-2005, 01:22 PM

Well that didn't go very well. The temporary encoder made our splicer mad, so you may have noticed the last few nights have been a little messy. We put our old encoder back online yesterday, but the splicer was still a little sick.

Both Fox and the splicer manufacturer worked on it, and we believe it is healthy now.

We are watching it closely, and hoping for a calm weekend.

Just wanted to let everybody know we have been working it. But feel free to post or email me if you notice any problems.

jon
post #1004 of 3103 Old 07-01-2005, 05:26 AM

While appreciative of Cox for adding new channels, including a new High-Def channel in Universal HD, I'm unimpressed with UHD as the new HD addition.

After reviewing the Universal HD web-site, they don't seem to offer a very good lineup of programming. At least in my view.

There are a lot better options they could have added, that's all I'm thinking. Lots of other HD channels that would have been better.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
post #1005 of 3103 Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 AM

moreinc-
Consider yourself lucky. Here in Salina, we have only one HD channel available on Cox (KSAS Fox). And they say they have no plans to add any more due to "bandwidth limitations". Yet such metropolises as Gas and Iola Kansas have a full slate of HD from Cox.
This is really disgusting, since we are on the fringe of being able to receive the Wichita stations OTA up here. Of course, KSAS has an HD translator up here, so all you need is rabbit ears to get it, and that is the one Cox adds to the cable line up. Makes a lot of sense to me.

-Jeff
post #1006 of 3103 Old 07-01-2005, 08:14 AM

I also live in Salina, and am very disappointed with Cox and their HD plans. Looks like I will be getting a satellite dish soon!!

Wayne
post #1007 of 3103 Old 07-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreinc View Post

While appreciative of Cox for adding new channels, including a new High-Def channel in Universal HD, I'm unimpressed with UHD as the new HD addition.

After reviewing the Universal HD web-site, they don't seem to offer a very good lineup of programming. At least in my view.

There are a lot better options they could have added, that's all I'm thinking. Lots of other HD channels that would have been better.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I agree 100%. UHD is a good choice if you enjoy reruns of Monk, the 2004 Summer Games, and the various reincarnations of Law & Order. I find it ironic that Cox added what is basically the HD rerun channel for the NBC network but still doesn't carry the HD feed of the local NBC affiliate. Even if they have to pay KSN for the feed, it would be money better spent than paying for UHD IMHO. I would love to be able to record Conan in HD. Don't get me wrong, more HD is better but there is better HD than UHD.

Vern
post #1008 of 3103 Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM

It was a long trek, but we finally got our encoder back from the manufacturer and was able to finally switch to the new PIDs dictated by the FCC.

This should not affect viewers, except your receiver might have locked up if it was on while I changed them. A simple reboot of the receiver, rescan, or direct channel input should wake it back up, if you had a problem at all.
This affects KSAS-DT and KAAS-DT.

as always if you have problems, post or email me.
Thanks
jon
post #1009 of 3103 Old 07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Can KPTS-DT be picked up in Wichita? What kind of antenna is required? I get all the other digital channels, but not KPTS. This is not necessarily surprising since it's twice as far away from me (NW Wichita) as the other antennas (according to antennaweb.org).
post #1010 of 3103 Old 07-24-2005, 12:01 PM

I live in NW Wichita. I receive all digital channels with exception of KPTS, 8.1, PBS, Hutchinson. I have an antenna in the attic and have added an in-line amplifier. When I first installed the amplifier, I was able to receive KPTS some times. I can nolonger receive KPTS. Here is my setup:

1. I have an Antennacraft MXU59 in the attic.
2. I have installed a GE 10 dB in-line amplifier at the antenna.
3. I run coax cable from the amplifier to the hometheater (from attic through mainfloor to basement).
4. Coax connects to amplifier power injector which is connected to LG HDTV Receiver model LST-3100A.
5. Video and audio outputs from HDTV receiver are fed to a Yamah RX-V750 AV Receiver.
6. AV Receiver video output is fed to Hitachi 51S500.

I successfully receive the floowing stations:
a. KSNW 3.1, NBC, WIchita, 295 deg, 5 miles
b. KAKE 10.1, ABC, Wichita, 299 deg, 5.4 miles
c. KWCH 12.1, CBS, Hutchinson, 316 deg, 28.6 miles
d. KSAS 24.1, FOX, Wichita, 300 deg, 4.9 miles
e. KWCV 33.1, WB, Wichita, 307 deg, 6.5 miles
f. KSCC 36.1, UPN, Hutchinson, 338 deg, 14.6 miles

Although I receive WB, I must change the input mode on the Yamaha receiver to ANALOG to get reasonable audio level from WB without cranking the receiver way up.

I would like to pull in KPTS 8.1, PBS, Hutchinson, 314 deg, 28.8 miles. Assuming I stick with an antenna in the attic or some other indoor antenna, what can I try to increase probability of receiving KPTS? Would a different antenna be better? Should I try a powered pre-amplifier? Should I go with an indoor antenna in the basement? Any thoughts?

Thanks
post #1011 of 3103 Old 07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done, short of heroic measures, to pull in KPTS-DT in Wichita. My signal level for all of the other digital stations is strong (80% to 90%), whereas KPTS barely registers. My antenna isn't in an optimum location, but it's pointed correctly and it's a big antenna, connected to a latest generation ATSC reciever (LG Plasma HDTV). I'm guessing that KPTS is still broadcasting at low power?
post #1012 of 3103 Old 07-25-2005, 04:06 PM

What a joke! They turn on CBS HD on Cox for the Masters whenever that was -- and then right back off again... What a tease!!

I got an HDTV last summer and waited all throughout last football season for Cox to add CBS..... still waiting ...

Well, here we are again on the brink of the 2005 season -- and STILL no CBS on Cox.

Does anyone have any new relevant information from Cox or CBS on this issue?

I'd really rather not bolt for Satellite or switch to OTA, but watching the Chiefs in HD might just be worth it.

Anyone have any thoughts or new information?

Thanks.
post #1013 of 3103 Old 07-25-2005, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysdb View Post

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done, short of heroic measures, to pull in KPTS-DT in Wichita. My signal level for all of the other digital stations is strong (80% to 90%), whereas KPTS barely registers. My antenna isn't in an optimum location, but it's pointed correctly and it's a big antenna, connected to a latest generation ATSC reciever (LG Plasma HDTV). I'm guessing that KPTS is still broadcasting at low power?

I get 8-1 and 8-2 over here on the southeast side of Wichita. I don't watch those channels too often, but I've never had trouble receiving them.

Dave G.
post #1014 of 3103 Old 07-26-2005, 04:59 PM

I also live in NW ICT near 29th and Ridge. I pick up 8-1 and 8-2 fine via attic mounted antenna and Samsung OTA receiver. Big antenna, I'd tell ya what it was but don't wanna go up to attic and look. No signal amps installed either.

eric
post #1015 of 3103 Old 07-27-2005, 10:11 AM

I have a Silver Sensor mounted in the garage attic @ 21st N and Woodlawn and receive 8-1 and 8-2 with no problems.

Vern
post #1016 of 3103 Old 07-31-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:

What a joke! They turn on CBS HD on Cox for the Masters whenever that was -- and then right back off again... What a tease!!

I got an HDTV last summer and waited all throughout last football season for Cox to add CBS..... still waiting ...

Well, here we are again on the brink of the 2005 season -- and STILL no CBS on Cox.

Does anyone have any new relevant information from Cox or CBS on this issue?

I'd really rather not bolt for Satellite or switch to OTA, but watching the Chiefs in HD might just be worth it.

Anyone have any thoughts or new information?

Thanks.

FYI, I get CBS HD national feeds via satellite so I check often to see if it's our local station not broadcasting HD. Truth is that CBS itself for the most part doesn't do sports in HD. I've yet to see any golf in HD this year.
post #1017 of 3103 Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 PM

I love golf in HD, but I'm really wanting to watch as much CHIEFS FOOTBALL in HD this season as possible. I know they're on Monday and Sunday night about 4 times, but I'd like to catch any games they do carry on CBS HD, too.

Oh, well... I may just have to add an HD tuner/antenna for over the air during football season. Go Chiefs!
post #1018 of 3103 Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I love golf in HD, but I'm really wanting to watch as much CHIEFS FOOTBALL in HD this season as possible. I know they're on Monday and Sunday night about 4 times, but I'd like to catch any games they do carry on CBS HD, too.

Oh, well... I may just have to add an HD tuner/antenna for over the air during football season. Go Chiefs!

With less than a month to kick-off, it's time to get the tuner/antenna up and running. I feel my investment was worth it to me just for the NFL coverage, let alone the NCAA basketball, NCAA football, Masters Golf, NASCAR on NBC, Winter Olympics on NBC next year, and remember next year NBC will have the NFL. Along with Fox, you'll find switching between two NFL games showing in HD at the same time is a true HD experience. IMHO, Cox is in no hurry to add CBSHD or NBCHD to their HD Tier and it could some time before they do.

Screw waiting for Cox. Just Do It.

Vern
post #1019 of 3103 Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblyth View Post

IMHO, Cox is in no hurry to add CBSHD or NBCHD to their HD Tier and it could some time before they do.

Screw waiting for Cox. Just Do It.

Perhaps KWCH and KSN are asking too much for their HD service? Why should Cox pay now when in a few years they'll get it for free? After KSN and KWCH loose their analog channel they'll be begging to get their digital signal on cable/sat because they won't have any viewers. Oh wait, broadcast is loosing viewers right and left to cable/sat providers already! It won't be long before the "big 4" become the little guys.
post #1020 of 3103 Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 PM

It sounds like we are screwed on NBC probably for awhile since Emmis is apparently trying to unload the local to another buyer. I seriously doubt that any negoitiations are going on with them as a result. Purely uninformed speculation on my part though.

For those of you cable subscribers like myself, go ahead and get an OTA receiver and you'll be like me-alot more relaxed about the situation.

eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page