AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Wichita, KS - HDTV

Local HDTV Info and Reception

brianm66's Avatar brianm66
06:52 PM Liked: 10
post #1171 of 3103
02-06-2006 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresf View Post

to quote a phrase off a song...i'm in heaven...,(think "the green mile")
you are right-it is about time!
i still can't believe it!

Hopefully since KSNW is owned by the same company as KSNT, we can get NBC's HD up here in NE Kansas as well...that would be wonderful.

I'm extremely jealous of all of you, by the way :-)
drdrew's Avatar drdrew
11:47 AM Liked: 10
post #1172 of 3103
02-08-2006 | Posts: 2
hi eryone.. local cat from wichita just wanted to say wats up..

just noticed today is first day of NBC HD listed on cox's & ksn's websites.. fixin to go home @ lunch to see for myself.

no advertised support for DD5.1 tho.. kinda weak if u ask me..
waynezach's Avatar waynezach
06:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1173 of 3103
02-08-2006 | Posts: 22
Just wanted to let everyone know that Salina now has ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX in HD on Cox cable!! We have waited a long time for this.
KScableguy's Avatar KScableguy
09:41 PM Liked: 10
post #1174 of 3103
02-08-2006 | Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreinc View Post

-- Super Bowl ABC HD momentary audio "hiccups" ...

It seems that ABC HD has an HD audio problem. Am I the only one who noticed "numerous" audio "hiccups" during the super bowl? It was very annoying to me and my guests.

Is there a logical reason for this?

moreinc

Yes there is a bug with the cox dvr and certain HD channels. 601 and 612 have the audio problem. If you use the instant rewind button, you'll hear what you miss. Cox and Motorola are working on a fix, but no ETA yet. Changing boxes won't help either, so no need to call for a TC and have a tech change your box out. If you have just a regular HD box from Cox, you are ok. Also local commercials inserted by Cox on 601,603,612 and 620 will tile and audio skip. No ETA on this fix either, but who watches comercials anyway?

The aduio problems with the Super Bowl in HD was a nationwide problem from ABC itself.
jeffdb27's Avatar jeffdb27
10:20 PM Liked: 10
post #1175 of 3103
02-08-2006 | Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynezach View Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that Salina now has ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX in HD on Cox cable!! We have waited a long time for this.

Still extremely weak if you ask me.
Where is ESPN HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, Universal HD, etc?

Small towns like Gas, KS and Iola, KS served by Cox have had these for ages.

Jeff
kbp's Avatar kbp
01:27 PM Liked: 10
post #1176 of 3103
02-09-2006 | Posts: 299
Does anybody else in Wichita notice that CBS 5.1 audio in primetime (maybe other times, too ?) typically has dialog set at very low levels compared to the rest of the audio. I'm constantly riding the volume to hear what's being said and then getting blown away by music or other non-dialog sounds. Is this just me, or is it problem with our local, or is it a problem with Cox? To me it's only CBS, most of the time the other HD channels seem to be mixed just fine as are DVDs I play on my system. Anybody else feel this way?
06:22 PM Liked: 10
post #1177 of 3103
02-09-2006 | Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

Does anybody else in Wichita notice that CBS 5.1 audio in primetime (maybe other times, too ?) typically has dialog set at very low levels compared to the rest of the audio. I'm constantly riding the volume to hear what's being said and then getting blown away by music or other non-dialog sounds. Is this just me, or is it problem with our local, or is it a problem with Cox? To me it's only CBS, most of the time the other HD channels seem to be mixed just fine as are DVDs I play on my system. Anybody else feel this way?

I have noticed problems with sound with CBS during national programing. First noticed it with NFL on the Noon games. You would hear everything but the anouncers. The music was there and the sound effects, but no talking. Then about 5 mins into the games, the whole sound would come "on".

Then I just noticed it with CSI last Thursday night. Same problem, so had to watch in analog.
klemsaba's Avatar klemsaba
05:41 AM Liked: 10
post #1178 of 3103
02-10-2006 | Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by KScableguy View Post

Also local commercials inserted by Cox on 601,603,612 and 620 will tile and audio skip. No ETA on this fix either, but who watches comercials anyway?

Cox does not insert commercials on 601, 603, or 612. Those are the responsibility of KAKE, KSN, and KWCH.
schick81's Avatar schick81
08:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1179 of 3103
02-10-2006 | Posts: 34
Quote:

I have noticed problems with sound with CBS during national programing. First noticed it with NFL on the Noon games. You would hear everything but the anouncers. The music was there and the sound effects, but no talking. Then about 5 mins into the games, the whole sound would come "on".

Then I just noticed it with CSI last Thursday night. Same problem, so had to watch in analog.

This audio problem is due to KWCH not switching to Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding. If the encoder is left on Dolby 2.0 during a 5.1 program, you will only get the left and right front channels, which consist usually of sound effects, background dialogue and sometimes music beds. Also, you're not gettting a Pro Logic compatible 2.0 mix either that allows your receiver to create its own mix. The way CBS sends out their shows, a 5.1 show being encoded in 2.0 format only contains just the left and right front channels. The vast majority of the crucial audio for a program, such as dialogue, is present ONLY in the center channel and with 2.0 encoding the left and right surround and low frequency effect channels are also not present.

I've had to call KWCH numerous times on this issue, including two weeks ago on the AFC Championship game, when you couldn't hear any announcer audio. They just need to get a better grasp as to what programming is in 5.1 and which is 2.0. At the top of each primetime show, if the snipe says "Available in HD" then the audio is Dolby Digital 2.0. However, if the snipe says "Available in HD 5.1 Dolby Digital" then the show is in 5.1 and the encoder needs to be in that format.

Just don't get me started on the increasingly annoying trend of stations "forgetting" to throw the HD switch when they're done with their local break, or dipping back into SD just so they can run some "Breaking News" alert (like last night's My Name is Earl on KSNW) or tease the 10 o'clock news (Grey's Anatomy on KAKE a few times or last year's Oscars, for example).
vblyth's Avatar vblyth
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1180 of 3103
02-10-2006 | Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by schick81 View Post

Just don't get me started on the increasingly annoying trend of stations "forgetting" to throw the HD switch when they're done with their local break, or dipping back into SD just so they can run some "Breaking News" alert (like last night's My Name is Earl on KSNW) or tease the 10 o'clock news (Grey's Anatomy on KAKE a few times or last year's Oscars, for example).

Now you got me started. Tuesday night I had to call KWCH-12 4 times to get the HD switched back on. Having to call is bad enough, but having to convince them that the grey stripes on the sides of the 4:3 picture was produced by them not Cox was ridiculous. Of course, their resistance faded when I switched to OTA and told them I saw the same thing.

So if you are watching HD and you are sure the program is in HD/5.1, but it's not turned on, give them a call and let them know we are watching!!! Here are the phone numbers again for the locals. Always call the news room because they will always answer.

CBS: KWCH-12: 838-1212 Ext 1
ABC: KAKE-10: 946-1331
NBC: KSN-3: 292-1111
waterfitz's Avatar waterfitz
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #1181 of 3103
02-11-2006 | Posts: 34
Quote:

Great. But for those of us in Salina who are to poor to buy the Cox Digital package and have already been receiving Hi=Def OTA for a while. I have a question.

I quit receiving KSN out of Wichita OTA about 3 days ago. Absolutely
no signal at all. Still getting CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS and WB though.

Anyone else having problems receiving KSN's signal. It has just vanished.
How bout you waynezach or any other Salina people. I was really looking forward to watching the Olympics and now I cant.

Also what was going on with CBS HD signal during Duke/ Maryland today. When I turned it on the game was not in HIgh Def in the 2nd quarter for a while. Seemes to return aftr halftime.

Thanks ahead of time from the Noobie.
11:51 AM Liked: 10
post #1182 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 22
As of 12:47PM am receiving KSN, but only intermittently, but I am sure that it will come in better in the evening.
talon95's Avatar talon95
12:01 PM Liked: 12
post #1183 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 999
I was getting a lot of drop outs during the olympics last night. Odd too as I normally record the Tonight Show every night with very few, if any drop outs. Moving my antenna around did seem to help though.

Dave G.
dlnester's Avatar dlnester
03:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1184 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

I was getting a lot of drop outs during the olympics last night. Odd too as I normally record the Tonight Show every night with very few, if any drop outs. Moving my antenna around did seem to help though.

Dave G.

The breakups on the Olympics last night was not the fault of KSN, but NBC and the winter storm that was hammering New York City. Everybody coast-to-coast was experiencing the exact same problem with dropouts and breakups on the HD broadcast. Apparently, they were able to move the SD broadcast to Burbank but due to bandwidth problems the HD feed had to come from New York.
03:48 PM Liked: 10
post #1185 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfitz View Post

I quit receiving KSN out of Wichita OTA about 3 days ago. Absolutely
no signal at all. Still getting CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS and WB though.

Anyone else having problems receiving KSN's signal. It has just vanished.
How bout you waynezach or any other Salina people. I was really looking forward to watching the Olympics and now I cant.

Same here.
Three or four days ago the KSNW signal just vanished. UPN as well.
Doesn't matter what time of the day I check it. I was guessing it must be weather/atmospheric conditions, but it has never been out for me this long.

Jeff
05:35 PM Liked: 10
post #1186 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdb27 View Post

Same here.
Three or four days ago the KSNW signal just vanished. UPN as well.
Doesn't matter what time of the day I check it. I was guessing it must be weather/atmospheric conditions, but it has never been out for me this long.

Jeff

Yep my UPN is gone too. Strangest thing. No signal at all. I live in the center of the city a couple of blocks North of of republic. I know a guy on the south end of town who claims he is still getting KSN. Jeff, where are you located South, Central, or North in the city. I am just trying to figure this out.

Thanks for posting. At least I know I am not the only one experiencing this problem now. Keep me posted if your signal comes back.
09:41 PM Liked: 10
post #1187 of 3103
02-12-2006 | Posts: 134
Quote:

Jeff, where are you located South, Central, or North in the city. I am just trying to figure this out.

I'm a couple blocks North of Crawford and Ohio. My antenna is only about 20 feet above ground, I would say.

Anyone know where one can buy one of these three leg towers that you see around town? I found one place online, but pricey!!

Jeff
Jon@KSAS/KSCC's Avatar Jon@KSAS/KSCC
12:21 PM Liked: 10
post #1188 of 3103
02-13-2006 | Posts: 112
Our DT OTA transmitter is on, but at 480i. We got a loaner microwave receiver and it wasn't as bad, but it still dropped out every minute, so we went back to our conversion at the transmitter site. We are working with the manufacturer on this.
Again Cox 606 still has 1080i HD. Try rescanning for UPN if you want, the problem with converting at the transmitter, is our expanded PSIP isn't embedded.

Picking up Wichita OTA's in Salina is great anytime, our signal was never planned to make it past McPherson. We just had some high winds in KS, and I know my outdoor antenna at home wasn't the only one to twist out of alignment, if you're having problems, it's worth looking at.

Waynezach, have you attempted plugging your basic cable into your OTA receiver and doing a scan? Supposedly the local HD's don't require a special box. I'm not sure if they show up on 600 channel #'s or not. In your setup you would want to set it to QAM or CADTV as opposed to DTV or ATSC if there is an option.
If you feel like doing that please report back, including channel #'s if it works.
I thought I remember other forum members trying this in Wichita with some success, anyone remember?

jon
10:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1189 of 3103
02-13-2006 | Posts: 34
I tried to hook my tuner up to cable and see if I could receive Cox's signal that way. I tried all the settings but was unable to get anything. But in the process all of my chanells were wiped out. I switched back over to the AIR option and the tuner did a complete rescan and KSN popped on with a signal strength of 65.

Now I dont know if this did it or if it was something else. Jeff I would be intereste dto hear if you are receiving KSN again yet.

I believe the tuner with Cox thing would propably work depending on the brand of tuner purchased. Mine is just cheapie, so that may have be the problem.
Jeff or Waynezach let us know if either one of you try tapping into Cox'x over the air feed.

Jeff I checked out your homepage, nice job.
brianm66's Avatar brianm66
07:19 AM Liked: 10
post #1190 of 3103
02-14-2006 | Posts: 96
It works for me on Cox up here in Manhattan. I have an LG 3510 DVD/HD Reciever combo. It recieves a few things OTA, and in QAM mode it will recieve anything Cox is sending unencrypted. This includes local HD channels, Music Channels, PPV Preview, and 3 "Mosiac" channels that show several channels at once from a similar category (News, Kids, etc).

Quote:

I tried to hook my tuner up to cable and see if I could receive Cox's signal that way. I tried all the settings but was unable to get anything. But in the process all of my chanells were wiped out. I switched back over to the AIR option and the tuner did a complete rescan and KSN popped on with a signal strength of 65.

Now I dont know if this did it or if it was something else. Jeff I would be intereste dto hear if you are receiving KSN again yet.

I believe the tuner with Cox thing would propably work depending on the brand of tuner purchased. Mine is just cheapie, so that may have be the problem.
Jeff or Waynezach let us know if either one of you try tapping into Cox'x over the air feed.

Jeff I checked out your homepage, nice job.

07:24 AM Liked: 10
post #1191 of 3103
02-14-2006 | Posts: 134
Yes, KSN is back. I'm only getting about 60% which means lots of drop outs. I didn't have to rescan or anything, I think we are just back to better conditions for receiving distant signals. UPN showed up again too, although even weaker than KSN.

I have not tried to leach of COX signal as of yet. I have posted similar questions before to find out if anyone else has done it. I don't know what kind of tuner you have, but it needs to be able to tune QAM signals. I had to replace my cable modem yesterday, so I asked the tech guy lots of things like why does Salina have such a crappy offering of HD. He was very helpful, but didn't know when more HD would be available. I asked him if COX was broadcasting the channels unencrypted or "clear QAM" and I prefaced it with you may not want to answer this one. He kinda acted like he didn't know what I was talking about, and said he didn't think it was set up to work that way yet.

Again, you need a PC card, STB, or television that can tune QAM signals. Cable broadcasts in this mode, while OTA is ATSC or 8VSB (I think). If this works here in Salina, I would get a PC card and build my own DVR!

Jeff
timmy1376's Avatar timmy1376
09:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1192 of 3103
02-14-2006 | Posts: 1,527
Quote:

Yes, KSN is back. I'm only getting about 60% which means lots of drop outs. I didn't have to rescan or anything, I think we are just back to better conditions for receiving distant signals. UPN showed up again too, although even weaker than KSN.

I have not tried to leach of COX signal as of yet. I have posted similar questions before to find out if anyone else has done it. I don't know what kind of tuner you have, but it needs to be able to tune QAM signals. I had to replace my cable modem yesterday, so I asked the tech guy lots of things like why does Salina have such a crappy offering of HD. He was very helpful, but didn't know when more HD would be available. I asked him if COX was broadcasting the channels unencrypted or "clear QAM" and I prefaced it with you may not want to answer this one. He kinda acted like he didn't know what I was talking about, and said he didn't think it was set up to work that way yet.

Again, you need a PC card, STB, or television that can tune QAM signals. Cable broadcasts in this mode, while OTA is ATSC or 8VSB (I think). If this works here in Salina, I would get a PC card and build my own DVR!

Jeff

Jeff,
I *think* Cox has to broadcast the locals in QAM in the clear. So if you sub to basic cable, and your tuner does QAM, you should get whatever locals come across in the clear. Some companies also do not encrypt like ESPN, HDnet, etc. but I think the only HD ones that are in the clear on Cox are locals. I see Wally world has a 30 sanyo that has a built in tuner for about the cost of a high end HD receiver, and it will do ASTC or QAM.....
09:54 AM Liked: 10
post #1193 of 3103
02-14-2006 | Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1376 View Post

Jeff,
I *think* Cox has to broadcast the locals in QAM in the clear. So if you sub to basic cable, and your tuner does QAM, you should get whatever locals come across in the clear. Some companies also do not encrypt like ESPN, HDnet, etc. but I think the only HD ones that are in the clear on Cox are locals. I see Wally world has a 30 sanyo that has a built in tuner for about the cost of a high end HD receiver, and it will do ASTC or QAM.....

I agree, by law COX is supposed to do that. But i have heard that some Cable Cos do it, and some don't. I was just hoping for some confirmation before putting out the $$$.

I also wondered about which level of cable service would be required. I only have basic cable (the first 22 or so channels). The cable tech said that if I got digital cable from them I would have to get (or it would include) expanded or extended basic. So that made me wonder if the clear QAM signals might be blocked (filtered) for the basic subscription level.... So many questions..

Jeff
haysdb's Avatar haysdb
09:07 AM Liked: 10
post #1194 of 3103
02-15-2006 | Posts: 1,310
Watched the Olympics last night on my new 60" Sony SXRD (LCoS 3-chip 1080p RPTV). Absolutely spectacular.

As an aside, I goofed buying the big Sony. The picture is unbelievably good, but this is one big TV. Makes my 15'x14' living room feel like a closet. What was I thinking? The screen isn't too big (I don't feel like I'm sitting too close), but I completely underestimated how big a 66" wide x 20" deep TV would appear. Unfortunately there's no sending it back. A 50" plasma would have been a much better choice. I'm so stupid.
01:45 PM Liked: 10
post #1195 of 3103
02-15-2006 | Posts: 290
Quote:

I agree, by law COX is supposed to do that. But i have heard that some Cable Cos do it, and some don't. I was just hoping for some confirmation before putting out the $$$.

I also wondered about which level of cable service would be required. I only have basic cable (the first 22 or so channels). The cable tech said that if I got digital cable from them I would have to get (or it would include) expanded or extended basic. So that made me wonder if the clear QAM signals might be blocked (filtered) for the basic subscription level.... So many questions..

Jeff

One way Cox test to see if a TV with Cable Card is working correctly is to remove the card and see if the TV see the local HD channels. The local HD channels are not encrypted and can be picked up by anyone with a cable card tv without paying. Not all cable card TV's will allow a user to tune to the digital channels without a cable card inserted. My Sony is this way.

There are a few other channels not encrypted, mostly the music channels and the discovery channels (ch. 101 to 111).

You should have to upgrade to the expanded service to get digital cable. I know alot of our older customers have just basic (2 to 23) and digital, so they can get their music channels.
08:25 PM Liked: 10
post #1196 of 3103
02-15-2006 | Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysdb View Post

Watched the Olympics last night on my new 60" Sony SXRD (LCoS 3-chip 1080p RPTV). Absolutely spectacular.

As an aside, I goofed buying the big Sony. The picture is unbelievably good, but this is one big TV. Makes my 15'x14' living room feel like a closet. What was I thinking? The screen isn't too big (I don't feel like I'm sitting too close), but I completely underestimated how big a 66" wide x 20" deep TV would appear. Unfortunately there's no sending it back. A 50" plasma would have been a much better choice. I'm so stupid.

In my opinion if I was gonna do something stupid, I would want it to be that.
Sounds like an awesome tv.
vblyth's Avatar vblyth
09:42 PM Liked: 10
post #1197 of 3103
02-15-2006 | Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysdb View Post

Time to buy a bigger house for your new TV.
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1198 of 3103
02-16-2006 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@KSAS/KSCC View Post

Our DT OTA transmitter is on, but at 480i. We got a loaner microwave receiver and it wasn't as bad, but it still dropped out every minute, so we went back to our conversion at the transmitter site. We are working with the manufacturer on this.
Again Cox 606 still has 1080i HD. Try rescanning for UPN if you want, the problem with converting at the transmitter, is our expanded PSIP isn't embedded.

Picking up Wichita OTA's in Salina is great anytime, our signal was never planned to make it past McPherson. We just had some high winds in KS, and I know my outdoor antenna at home wasn't the only one to twist out of alignment, if you're having problems, it's worth looking at.

Waynezach, have you attempted plugging your basic cable into your OTA receiver and doing a scan? Supposedly the local HD's don't require a special box. I'm not sure if they show up on 600 channel #'s or not. In your setup you would want to set it to QAM or CADTV as opposed to DTV or ATSC if there is an option.
If you feel like doing that please report back, including channel #'s if it works.
I thought I remember other forum members trying this in Wichita with some success, anyone remember?

jon

I tested my LG4200A on Cox cable up here in Salina, and I can get all of the local HD Channels, and most of the regular basic channels. (Also got a channel called the "Pentagon channel" which I have never heard of, only SD though.)
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #1199 of 3103
02-16-2006 | Posts: 134
Quote:

I tested my LG4200A on Cox cable up here in Salina, and I can get all of the local HD Channels, and most of the regular basic channels. (Also got a channel called the "Pentagon channel" which I have never heard of, only SD though.)

Awesome to hear that . What level of cable to you subscribe to? Is basic enough or do you need expanded or some digital level?

Thanks,
Jeff
pfunky's Avatar pfunky
09:04 PM Liked: 10
post #1200 of 3103
02-16-2006 | Posts: 24
Quote:

One way Cox test to see if a TV with Cable Card is working correctly is to remove the card and see if the TV see the local HD channels. The local HD channels are not encrypted and can be picked up by anyone with a cable card tv without paying. Not all cable card TV's will allow a user to tune to the digital channels without a cable card inserted. My Sony is this way.

There are a few other channels not encrypted, mostly the music channels and the discovery channels (ch. 101 to 111).

You should have to upgrade to the expanded service to get digital cable. I know alot of our older customers have just basic (2 to 23) and digital, so they can get their music channels.

??? Really? I've mentioned previously in this thread (Located here) that I originally got the HD channels in the clear on Cox (Wichita) with only Extended Basic. About a week afterwards they dissappeared and I haven't seen them since. I've called Cox, and even spoken with an installer that happened to be working on a neighbor's house, and they told me that Cox Wichita encrypts their HD channels.

I've rescanned the channels multiple times with my builtin ATSC tuner (Toshiba 57H94) and now only find the music channels (82-x), Fox (116-1) and UPN (116-2).

Several people have told me that there is a federal law stating that Cox MUST carry the broadcast HD channels in the clear, but nobody has been able to site a specific referenceable FCC quote. I've often heard of it called the "Must Carry Law", but their appears to be loopholes in that big enough to fit a train through.

Lately, I've been using my OTA tuner to watch the locals in HD. That works really well even with my small antenna most of the time. Occasionally, something in the neighborhood makes alot of noise, and I can't keep a lock for anything (my wife can tell by me slamming things around in the house ). I'd love to be able to use Cox as a backup though.

I assume by your name that you work there...can you provide me with some insight? Or even a specific tech that I could speak with who is knowledgeable?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread