Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My son has recently purchased a Vista Media Center computer, and got a special accessory which is an external digital TV tuner that takes a cablecard. Program guide info will be provided through Microsoft as I understand it, and he knows that with cablecard you don't get the Cox program guide info or OnDemand service. Cox Wichita, however, seems unwilling to provide him a card. Any tips on getting Cox to understand their obligation to do so? The unit is, as a practical matter, like a TIVO with an external storage system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff747 View Post

From what I've understood in the DTV transition status reports filed with the FCC by the station, this is the same transmitter formerly used in 316 kw analog service, and was converted to digital during the March to June period that it was shut down, so it seems like the transmitter should have all of the reserve power capability the FCC may ever permit.

However, maybe the new antenna and transmission line don't have the power handling ability that the old ones did.

From the KWCH STA request:

"Because the Station found that its transmitter could not reliably produce a signal at 33.2kW, it has operated with an ERP of 29.8 kW, the maximum that its present transmitter can reliably produce."

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...911&q_num=5200
post #2853 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM

[quote=Kansas Zephyr;16705342]From the KWCH STA request:

"Because the Station found that its transmitter could not reliably produce a signal at 33.2kW, it has operated with an ERP of 29.8 kW, the maximum that its present transmitter can reliably produce."

Perhaps it was determined that some RF PA cabinets were no longer needed, thus they were removed from service, possibly shipped to a sister station.
post #2854 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff747 View Post

Perhaps it was determined that some RF PA cabinets were no longer needed, thus they were removed from service, possibly shipped to a sister station.

Yes...could be.

Or, they switched from tube(s) to solid state final(s), since the FCC authorized much lower power levels for VHF digital, versus analog.

This would increase reliability and decrease operating and maintenance costs.

Too, bad it turns out that the FCC didn't have enough real-world field trails before determining the VHF digital power levels, that were to be equal to analog coverage contours.
post #2855 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarper View Post

My son has recently purchased a Vista Media Center computer, and got a special accessory which is an external digital TV tuner that takes a cablecard. Program guide info will be provided through Microsoft as I understand it, and he knows that with cablecard you don't get the Cox program guide info or OnDemand service. Cox Wichita, however, seems unwilling to provide him a card. Any tips on getting Cox to understand their obligation to do so? The unit is, as a practical matter, like a TIVO with an external storage system.

Their CSR's are pretty bad about cablecards depending on who you get - ask to speak to someone else. If it an "unknown device" that is the problem - pretend it is a TV. I had the first TiVo Series 3 in Wichita some years ago and I had to do that since they refused to accept that idea that TiVo's took cablecards.
post #2856 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Actually, after posting, I heard back from my son--the csr he spoke with today was happy to schedule the install for him. So, looks like it should be a non-issue after all. He and I are both frustrated that it still takes a service call to set up a cablecard even for the technically adept who know how to insert a card in a laptop computer, for example; but hey--it sure is convenient once it's in place and working.
post #2857 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Actually, after posting, I heard back from my son--the csr he spoke with today was happy to schedule the install for him. So, looks like it should be a non-issue after all. He and I are both frustrated that it still takes a service call to set up a cablecard even for the technically adept who know how to insert a card in a laptop computer, for example; but hey--it sure is convenient once it's in place and working.

Very cool. I have been wondering if it would be possible to build something like this on one's own. Can you tell us more about this "special accessory" that accepts the cable card? What is it, where does one get one, etc? I personally would be interested in know more details about the whole system. Feel free to send me a private message or post here!

Also please post back once you get the cable card and let us know if it works!

Thanks
Jeff
post #2858 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

But they are using SDI...not composite, according to their CE.

Since KAKE uses a Grass Valley M21 for their master control switching, it can't be SDI (Serial Digital Interface), as this model is composite analog only and that device is what is used to 'key' the tickers over programming.

The signal path would have to begin with the ABC HD network video feed, which would be downconverted to SD SDI for distribution, then the SDI feed would be encoded into NTSC composite analog to pass into the M21 switcher, where the ticker is inserted with the switcher's downstream keyer.

The final output of the M21 master control switcher then gets decoded from NTSC composite analog back to SD SDI, then upconverted to 720p HD to finally leave the station either OTA or through direct fiber optic link to Cox and AT&T UVerse.

Simple solution - IMO: replace the outdated composite analog switcher with a HD capable switcher and no more of this up and down conversion nonsense.

Reality: KAKE trying to program five separate zones (Wichita, Garden City, Colby, Salina and Great Bend/Russell/Hays) in HD with limited funding from their corporate parent, Gray TV!!
post #2859 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schick81 View Post

Since KAKE uses a Grass Valley M21 for their master control switching, it can't be SDI (Serial Digital Interface), as this model is composite analog only and that device is what is used to 'key' the tickers over programming.

Simple solution - IMO: replace the outdated composite analog switcher with a HD capable switcher and no more of this up and down conversion nonsense.

Reality: KAKE trying to program five separate zones (Wichita, Garden City, Colby, Salina and Great Bend/Russell/Hays) in HD with limited funding from their corporate parent, Gray TV!!

I stand corrected, the CE said the stations routing system was SDI...and I assumed the MC would be to, my bad.

For now they only have Wichita/Garden City/Colby to worry about since the others, as of yet, have no date to go digital.

Even if they don't want to get an HD Master Control switcher, they could purchase HD keyers and place them just ahead of the encoders and up-convert the "ticker" to place it over ABC HD programming.
post #2860 of 3101 Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdb27 View Post

Very cool. I have been wondering if it would be possible to build something like this on one's own. Can you tell us more about this "special accessory" that accepts the cable card? What is it, where does one get one, etc? I personally would be interested in know more details about the whole system. Feel free to send me a private message or post here!

Also please post back once you get the cable card and let us know if it works!

Thanks
Jeff

The "special accessory" is an ATI Digital Cable Tuner (Link). But because the cable industry insists on making this process as difficult as possible, you can't buy a digital cable tuner through the typical retail channels.

Here's why: Officially, a PC is only allowed to use a cableCARD if the PC has been certified by CableLabs. This is an expensive and time consuming process that few PC manufacturers are willing to do. In fact, HP is the only major PC maker who is still willing to follow this ridiculous process (available on their m9500t and d5200t models). Microsoft was forced to agree to these terms as well, which is why digital-cable-ready PCs are forced to have a second activation code (product ID) in addition to the Windows product key.

However, a group of people have banded together and have recently come up with a way to manually enable cableCARDs on any PC. Here are the detailed instructions: http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/12...-media-center/
post #2861 of 3101 Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM

WillieC is correct. I don't know the specific model number, but my son's computer is an HP and he said the only computers he found that offered the HD tuner were HP models using this external device.
post #2862 of 3101 Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:

WillieC is correct. I don't know the specific model number, but my son's computer is an HP and he said the only computers he found that offered the HD tuner were HP models using this external device.

In case it's not clear from my user name, I'm his son. I got a Pavillion m9500, but I just checked HPs site, and they're not listed anymore. The only available option from HP is now the d5200t. There may be an option from Dell, I'm not sure what they have at the moment. Last I checked, those two were the only manufacturers that could do it.
post #2863 of 3101 Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Does anyone know if Cox will be offering BBC America HD when it starts broadcasting on July 20?
post #2864 of 3101 Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Harper View Post

Does anyone know if Cox will be offering BBC America HD when it starts broadcasting on July 20?

It might be a possibility, since BBC America is jointly owned by Discovery Networks and Cox here has in HD Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet and HD Theater.
post #2865 of 3101 Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 AM

Two new HD channels from Cox Kansas today (7/1):

Channel 605 - KSCW HD (Kansas CW)
Channel 657 - NBA TV HD

NOTE: Fox News Channel HD, originally on 605, moved to 600.
post #2866 of 3101 Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo11 View Post

Channel 657 - NBA TV HD

Also added was channel 710 - PPV HD.
post #2867 of 3101 Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Channel 657 - NBA TV HD

I did a channel scan, and found The CW on unencrypted QAM channel 117.5.
post #2868 of 3101 Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM

I visited the web site of New Vision Television yesterday and found out that the parent of KSNW, KSNT, and twelve other TV stations filed chapter 11 on Monday. The filing protected the company from $400 million in debt and provided $30 million operating capital to keep the company functioning. Read details at the site www.newvisiontv.com.
post #2869 of 3101 Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

If you look at the Gray TV stock price these days, it appears that KAKE's owner is also in dreadful financial condition.
post #2870 of 3101 Old 07-19-2009, 02:38 PM

I couldn't help but wondering: Is Cox Kansas finally going to make FS Midwest/Kansas City become a full time HD? The reason I asked is the guide put the scheduled listings on their HD channel (Channel 656). Originally it just shows the KC Royals games in HD. Can anyone find out? Thanks in advance.
post #2871 of 3101 Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM

It's being reported that HBO HD OnDemand is returning on some cable systems.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=975220
I checked last night but no luck. Any word on if/when Cox will be getting HBO HD OnDemand back?

Vern
post #2872 of 3101 Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I couldn't help but wondering: Is Cox Kansas finally going to make FS Midwest/Kansas City become a full time HD? The reason I asked is the guide put the scheduled listings on their HD channel (Channel 656). Originally it just shows the KC Royals games in HD. Can anyone find out? Thanks in advance.

Please, please, please, please, please...
post #2873 of 3101 Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblyth View Post

It's being reported that HBO HD OnDemand is returning on some cable systems.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=975220
I checked last night but no luck. Any word on if/when Cox will be getting HBO HD OnDemand back?

Maybe it'll be added with the new On Demand guide. This link was in the NEWS FROM COX section of my latest bill.

http://www.cox.com/cable/newondemandguide
post #2874 of 3101 Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM

In case anyone wants it, the newest channel lineup from Cox is available here:
hxxp://www.cox.com/gocox/digitalcable/lineup.asp

It's dated July 15, but it came out a few days ago.
Sorry, I can't post it as a real URL.
post #2875 of 3101 Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Harper View Post

In case anyone wants it, the newest channel lineup from Cox is available here:
hxxp://www.cox.com/gocox/digitalcable/lineup.asp

It's dated July 15, but it came out a few days ago.
Sorry, I can't post it as a real URL.

try this:
http://www.cox.com/gocox/digitalcable/lineup.asp
post #2876 of 3101 Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM

New Channels from Cox Kansas:

Cox added the Big Ten Network to the Sports Tier package today (7/28)

(Channel 273 - Main; Channels 274-277 - Bonus coverage (during football and basketball season); Channel 667 - HD)
post #2877 of 3101 Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

New Channels from Cox Kansas:

Cox added the Big Ten Network to the Sports Tier package today (7/28)

(Channel 273 - Main; Channels 274-277 - Bonus coverage (during football and basketball season); Channel 667 - HD)

Big 10 before FSN HD...sigh...

Gives me some hope though.
post #2878 of 3101 Old 07-30-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:

try this:
http://www.cox.com/gocox/digitalcable/lineup.asp

Thanks. You have to have at least three posts before you can post URLs.
post #2879 of 3101 Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea20 View Post

Maybe it'll be added with the new On Demand guide. This link was in the NEWS FROM COX section of my latest bill.

http://www.cox.com/cable/newondemandguide

I noticed the new On Demand guide is now available for Wichita. I didn't notice any HBO HD on demand yet.

I also noticed that you can get to the different On Demand categories through the Guide or by entering the 4-digit channel number. For instance, to get to the FreeZone, enter the channel number 1050.
post #2880 of 3101 Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 PM

The new Wichita, KS Channel Lineup for July 31, 2009 now shows the On Demand channels.

I noticed that On Demand channel 1770 - Too Much For TV, which was there a couple of days ago, no longer shows up.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page