Hdtv/dishnetwork/chicago Local Stations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2002, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a Dish Network user and live in the Chicagoland area. My local stations are Chicago (ABC,WGN,NBC,CBS etc). I have a model 6000 JVC receiver (HDTV receiver). I am able to receive HD on showtime but not on any of my local Chicago channels. I have been told by Dishnetwork that my local channels are not being broadcast in HD but from what I have read on this forum, that is not the case. If anyone has an answer for this problem please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

No local Digital/HD channels from any market are available on ANY Satellite network.

However they _are_ available OTA. Just hook up your roof antenna to your Dish6000 and you will get them or at least some of them.

The Idiot
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2002, 02:43 PM

I also live in Chicago,
from what I understand if Dishnetwork is not transmitting local-HD you need to attach an antenna to your receivers Antenna input in order to receive local channels. Radio Shack has quite a few choices and really good prices.

SR
post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2002, 04:43 PM

I live in Lake Forest and receive all the locals with an Attic antenna going into my Directv Toshiba DST 3000 receiver. I also receive HBOHD and HDNET. You most certainly can receive your locals with an antenna. Some use a Radio Shack uhf bowtie antenna on top of their set and get locals no problem. I am not familiar with the Dish receiver but I think you might need a module that allows the receiver to accept OTA signals. Anyone else know for sure?
Kenal0
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, over-the-air (OTA) is the way to go for most HD, with the exception of Showtime and HBO on Dish Network and HDNet and HBO on DirecTV. (Conveniently I won't mention C-band.)

It's strange, but just three short years ago I thought antennas were dumb and obsolete. Now, in order to get the best picture available, I now realize that one has to go "back to the future" and get an old-fashioned antenna to pull in new-fangled HD broadcasts.

Get yourself a nice antenna and hook it up. You won't be disappointed. And it's really quite fun to try to get the best signals from all over, you might find yourself getting a rotor and playing with it. Enjoy!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2002, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the Echostar version of the DISH 6000 receiver, which is not any different than the JVC version except for the nameplate.

In order to receive OTA digital signals and HDTV transmission, you'll need to purchase the optional 8vsb module, which should slip in an empty panel on the back of the receiver. Installation instructions will be included with the module. You can then scan automtically for all the Chicago stations that broadcast in DTV. The module should set you back $130 to $150 if you shop smartly on the internet.

The stations now broadcasting in DTV include WBBM, WMAQ, WLS, WGN, WTTW, and a few others (Channels 38 and 44) that I don't watch.

Let me qualify about WBBM. Their signal is on and off (mostly off) because they broadcast from VHF channel 3. All others have UHF channel locations and their pictures are generally solid.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page