I just spent $12K on a new AC/Heat pump system..why am I grinning & posting here??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2002, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Because I got the guys to run my antenna cable from the basement to my attic. I previously had my little amped Radio Shack antenna in an upstairs bedroom, and now I've got an additional 20' of height. Hopefully I will be able to get those last few channels out of Charlotte (~80 mi.) to lock in!

They're putting in the power recepticle right this minute. I can't wait to get up there and fiddle around later! My local market has only a non-HD PBS (multicast on 4 subs, grrrrr), NBC, and an ABC that will not do HD this year. Maybe I can reach the Raleigh stations, too.

****************QUESTION:**************************

I have this antenna . Would one of these work better if I added an in-line amp like this one?????

Thanks for any info!

-Roro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2002, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you want to have a REAL chance of reaching Raleigh, you need to get an OUTSIDE ROOFTOP antenna (preferably UHF only) , with a decent UHF preamp. Most of the Raleigh stations are close to Clayton, WUNC is out by Chapel Hill.

That VU190 will be better than that indoor powered thing, but that amp isn't going to help much considering your distance. Get an Channelmaster 777x series UHF. Also, it was my experiance with that antenna that it didn't do very well on upper UHF (the Raleigh Digital stations start at 49 and go up ), so you may wish to consider getting a good Channelmaster or Winegard UHF antenna. You can find these at
http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

(good place to deal with if you can't find these locally).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rooftop is totally out of the question. The wifey says she let me put "that dish thingy" on the roof, and there are to be no additions up there, so it's attic or nothing.

As far as amplifiers, what would I need if the one I linked to isn't enough? I'm not picking up any additional stations from Charlotte with the RS model I have, even though according to Antennaweb, WBTV is on the outer rim of my reception range, and I get 100% signal from them. I was in the attic for an hour fiddling, moving things around, etc. , and still can't get the FOX, ABC, or PBS stations to come in.

Thanks for the response, and any other info is greatly appreciated.

Roro
post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2002, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid I'd be telling the Wife "You want to REALLY use this TV, the antenna goes up". Attics will cutdown your signal strength (which won't be too good at 80 miles if you can get them at all).

Did you checkout that Starkelectronic site ? Your question sounds like you didn't. One of the Winegard or Channelmaster Amps would beat the pants off that RS model.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Roof is still out of the question, and Raleigh is too far away. I'm sticking with Charlotte.

I put the VU-190XR in the attic, with a modest RS 14 db "bidirectional amp/splitter". It is pointing S-SW toward Charlotte, and I'm getting WBTV & WCNC. Because of the orientation of the beams & such up there, rotation is out of the question. According to AntennaWeb, WBTV should be the hardest to pull in, and I'm getting 93-100% signal.

Would it be possible to put a second antenna, perhaps a

RS VU-90 , facing more due south to pick up "FOX Widescreen" and ABC-HD out of Charlotte, then combine the signals in a beefy Channelmaster amp, and run a single cable to my STB?

Will this work? How?

[meek mousy voice] help. [/meek mousy voice]
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The major problem with using 2 antennas (that both are wideband) is that you have the potential to create your own multipath problem, without even considering the outside environment. Are your Charlotte DTV stations all UHF ? If so, it might be an idea to get an UHF only antenna, and mount that with a rotor inside your attic (assuming you can get enough space). One UHF antenna that I'm have good luck on the NTSC Raleigh stations is the Channelmaster 3021 - One plus is that this antenna has a small footprint AND a relatively wide reception beams as compared to the yagi style antennas. You can order this from http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm - I've had no problems ordering from them on more than 2 occaisons.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I got the same mulitpath answer as I was calling around today. I did, however, find out that I'm probably aimed too far NW. the NOW! A/V here has a smaller, lower rated boom antenna in their "attic", and get all 4 Charlotte digital channels without rotation.

So, I'm off to the attic armed with my map from Antennaweb...... wish me luck.

Otherwise, I'll continue the begging for a roof mount.

out,
Roro
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2002, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

So Roland, where exactly are you ? NOW! in Raleigh is my favorite A/V store in the area - I won't hardly step inside BB or CC because of the general lack of knowledge / pirahana frenzy that you find there, whereas the NOW! folks seem much better educated on DTV in general. I had one idiot at CC several months agos tell me that it was going to be several years before any DTV would be coming - and WRAL-DT was already transmitting !

post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2002, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm in Winston, just North of Davidson Co. I am also a big fan of NOW! here ( I have bought speakers, TV, satellite dish &HD STB, etc.). I called my salesman last week, but he didn't have any antenna stuff in stock, and didn't seem sure when there would be more.

You'll also be pleased to hear that I finally bored my wife into submission by fiddling and cursing the antenna in the attic for 2-5 hours a day in between Masters broadcasts. The Big Assed Antenna is assembled, with a rotor hooked up, and ready to go (hopefully) tomorrow.

I got a guy from work to come by and put my Sat.C kit & the BAA today, and he got the sat. kit up no problem, but the roof mount from RS sucked, and wouldn't hold the mast. So, by then, he had to pick up his kid, and I went back to RS to exchange the crappy one for a chimney mount, but.... you get 18' straps in the kit, but my chimney is 6'X4'. There is an extension kit, but not here, you have to go to the one at the mall to get these. So....off to the mall I go to get the extension pack. After 15 minutes to go about 1/2 a mile, I'm at the mall, and I find that the extension pack not only has 2- 25' straps, but they are on closeout for $5.25! BONUS! :D , so I get 2.

Bottom line is......... this thing better get out of my garage, and up on the house tomorrow or I just might go into Radio Shack with my Louisville Slugger.

I deserve this. I have worked so hard with the nagging, trips to the store, etc. Why are the HDTV gods mad at me? I've calibrated my set. I've balanced my speakers within 1/2 Db of one another. I don't watch HD without darkening the room to as dark as is possible. Why?!?!?! I want to know WHY!!!

(man, i need to go to bed. that was exhausting)
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page