No Thu-Fri Masters in HD in Cleveland!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-11-2002, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill Applegate, GM, WOIO-DT in Cleveland has just made the lame decision to only show the Masters in HD on the weekend!! Their lame late afternoon analog schedule is pre-empting this?? Judge Judy, Oprah, etc. can be easily watched on their analog channel 19, why pump that garbage to us in HD land??

The decisions at this station show an irresponsible mgmt team. Poor reception, slow at the switch, and now this!!

Please, everyone in N. Ohio HD land, CALL BILL APPLEGATE ASAP! Thx,
Ted

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Bill Applegate is not getting any phone calls. I guess we don't care.

post #3 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 09:08 AM

Tonight's after work plans were to watch the Masters. WOIO is the worst station ever. I love when I get the Detroit stations. It's not clear enough today though.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is the Detroit Station for CBS-D? I'm in Twinsburg so I prob. won't ever get it, but it's worth a try. WOIO just sucks!! Everything Ted said is exactly on the money. I heard some of their digital equipment broke last week which is why nobody could pull CSI in last week. They repaired it with spare parts. Hmmm...take crappy equipment & replace it with used parts. Nice job guys. It may be time for me to spend the extra cash to get Cleveland locals on Dish, then get the CBS waiver for the HD-CBS. We have no choice at this point it would seem. :(

-Todd

Mitsubishi HC3800
DaLite 106" Cinemavision
Samsung UN65HU8550
post #5 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 12:51 PM

when I asked if I could submit a complaint, she said I'll add it to the list. At least we're getting known. This doesn't help the fact that I couldn't get the NCAA championship, the return of the weak signal, and now this! WOIO is the worst station ever. I wish someone would buy Raycom and make WOIO a real station.

I think I'll send an email also. Anyone have his email address?
post #6 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yesterday, I found it it was Bill Applegate, GM, through Engineering. Then I zero'd out to the main switchboard and asked for him. His admin said he's in a closed door meeting (sounds like my admin) but seemed sincere that she'd get to him our overall tone and concern. She had no clue as to why something "as big as the Masters" would be pre-empted on Channel 10.

WOIO, analog 19, D-10, CBS
general 877-929-1943
Jim Kopanski Chief engineer, good guy 216-367-7455
Bryan Anderson, programming 216-367-7114

Ted

post #7 of 14 Old 04-12-2002, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just talked w/ Tom in Engineering (he's Jim's second in command) and he said Applegate's decision is based on the "fact" that WOIO cannot switch two feeds (NTSC and ATSC)!! I could swear they showed Thu-Fri coverage in the past years, with Judge Judy going to the analog feed. Heck, NBC could do it (with the 24 delayed Olympics in HD on one channel, live NTSC on the other). Lame excuse, sounds like to me.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

In fact they did show it last year. I work at home & watched it during the week during last years tournament. What I can't verify because I simply don't remember is what they showed on their regular channel 19. My guess would be that they didn't show The Masters on Thursday & Friday on 19 so they must have been showing two signals. I'd like an answer from them on this one 'cause this is just too much BS for me.

-Todd

PS - I wonder if they read this forum??

Mitsubishi HC3800
DaLite 106" Cinemavision
Samsung UN65HU8550
post #9 of 14 Old 04-13-2002, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I called on Thursday and asked why The Masters wasn't on.
I spoke to a guy in Engineering, and his response was"I have no idea"
I agree with Ted, this is the worst channel in Cleveland!
I live like 10 miles from the tower, and I am pulling in a 51 signal reading.

This is nuts, please keep calling them everyone, pester the hell out of them until they fix this.

A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with someone in engineering, and I asked them to sign up to both AVS and home theater discussion to see what many other Cleveland area residents are saying about the channel, and to try and work with us while trying to remedy the situation.
They have yet to respond, so I dont know.

Please keep calling everyone, it only takes 5 minutes.

Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 10:32 AM

I talked with Jim Kopanski in Engineering on Friday to ask why there was no HD broadcast of Th and F. He claimed that they could not simulcast analog and digital at the same time. Yet on Saturday that is exactly what was happening as the HD broadcast was totally different then the analog!

Did I misunderstand or did they misrepresent? But I agree with the other post here that CBS Cleveland is the the worst true digital station. If you count fox as digital then they are probably the worst since they lie about being HD.

But I think we should take CBS to task for the poor production quality. There continual shift between SB and HD is annoying at best. And the announcers and overall production quality is not much better than local cable access coverage of high school event. No replays, no consistency in following a player or drama of the game make one want to listen to Ken Venturi :)

The good news is the commercials are even less with Mitsubishi being the sole sponsor. You got to love the HD commercials for their production value.

Anyway, just getting this off my chest. But lets keep the pressure on WOIO!
post #11 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 11:08 AM

Do the other locals in the area do the same stuff you are upset with? I have been saving the spare change to get a STB/antenna so we can do away with cable, but now I am wondering if it would be a waste of money right now. Time Warner in Akron said they would bring a new box that has the HDTV in it first part of next month, so was going to give that a shot. But I would really prefer to depend on OTA because we just dont care about hbo or most all cable channels for that matter.

Mr. Crowley
post #12 of 14 Old 04-14-2002, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem only lies with WOIO CBS. The other DTV stations in Cleveland are fine. I'm pretty certain you'll have some trouble trying to pull in CBS from Akron, but it's possible it'll work. If Warner is going to offer cable HD, do they provide any local digitals or just HD-HBO. If they have Cleveland local digital stations available through the cable, it is well worth it avoid the aggrevation of OTA & just use the cable. My guess is they don't do digital locals so you'll still need OTA for those. I assume the digital cable box can do OTA. If they don't offer locals & if you really don't care about ANY cable stations or HBO, why don't you just pick-up a DTC-100? You can use that without a dish to get the digital locals OTA. Keep in mind that you really don't want to watch digital stations when they are showing non-HD programming. Formatting is limited (you'll have black bars) & in my opinion it looks worse than either cable locals or the regular analog stations. The picture is too soft through the DTV input for SD programming. For those non-HD programs, you'll want to pull in regular analog stations.

-Todd

Mitsubishi HC3800
DaLite 106" Cinemavision
Samsung UN65HU8550
post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2002, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a copy of a post I made in another "Cleveland" thread:

I talked to the head engineer at WOIO(Jim Kopanski) on Friday concerning their decision not to show the Masters on Thurs. and Fri. He said it was not an engineering issue and that he had been instructed by the programming group not to show it. I talked to someone in Programming and in Sales. They both seemed to have this funny idea that you couldn't show something different on the digital channel. The more I tried to explain that you could and that you were actually doing it on Saturday and Sunday, the more upset they got with me. I think they actually believe they were showing the same thing(golf is golf I guess) on both channels(digital and analog) on Sat. and Sun. It kind of makes you wonder if any of the employees have HDTVs at home. Maybe that is half the problem. I also asked them specifically if it was an issue with the local commercials and she was adamant that it was not the reason. The lady in sales was even more clueless. She actually believed they would have to preempt their regular analog programming on Thurs. and Fri. to be able to show the golf. I certainly was not talking the the top managers responsible for making these decisions but it leads me to believe there is a lot of misinformation floating around. It sure would be nice if some of these people would spend some time on this forum. I'm not sure what other options we have for clearing up the untruths. I'm open to suggestions.

Steve
post #14 of 14 Old 04-15-2002, 11:03 AM

I couldn't even pull in over a 37 yesterday or Saturday. Must have been a combination of WOIO's excuse for a signal and the rain. I got to see one putt in HD. It was a nice 5 seconds. Now I have to wait another year to see the Masters.:mad:
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page